The venue for this event is Olympia 2

Too Tall

I've been looking up tube times from Earls Court to Kensington Olympia and the first tube on the Saturday is at 7am which is okay but on the Sunday it's at 8am which worries me slightly :lol:

The queue is going to be monstrous by the time I get there.

You're worried? I'm not even going to be awake before half-seven! (Why do we have to be there early? Have I missed something?).

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking up tube times from Earls Court to Kensington Olympia and the first tube on the Saturday is at 7am which is okay but on the Sunday it's at 8am which worries me slightly :(

It looks as if it's only a 20 min walk from Earls Court to Kensington Olympia, if google maps is correct. So might be better just to walk!

(but then again, to me everywhere is within walking distance if you have enough time)

• Moderators

I've been looking up tube times from Earls Court to Kensington Olympia and the first tube on the Saturday is at 7am which is okay but on the Sunday it's at 8am which worries me slightly :(

It looks as if it's only a 20 min walk from Earls Court to Kensington Olympia, if google maps is correct. So might be better just to walk!

(but then again, to me everywhere is within walking distance if you have enough time)

I'll be checking my map for the get-lost-ability of the walking route from Earl's Court before I decide lol

(I am very good at getting lost...)

I'm wondering why SM don't just change the name of the location to KENSINGTON Olympia (since that's what it says on the tube map) instead of confusing everying by calling it Earls Court Olympia. I didn't even know it was owned by Earls Court and confused me to hell!

Wouldn't that be easier instead of leaving those who DON'T read the forums to be totally confused? :P

Must admit that the whole 'earls court 2' bit was confusing! Would have been better just to say Kensington, pure luck that I noticed the difference in the name of the place and came on the forum to check it out.

And to be fair when on the official site for Earls Court and Olympia they only ever refer to the Olympia as Olympia and not Earls Court, Olympia

~~

Looks like the easiest way to get there is to get the tube from Kings Cross to Earls Court (Picadilly Line) the swap at Earls court to the District Line to Kensington(Olympia)

Edited by welcome_earthling

I've been looking up tube times from Earls Court to Kensington Olympia and the first tube on the Saturday is at 7am which is okay but on the Sunday it's at 8am which worries me slightly :D

Not sure where you got that from, I've just done a quick planner on the tube site and have trains from 5.56am, likewise on Sunday.

Here's a PDF timetable for District Line Tubes, from the Transport For London site. Rather handily, the first train (ie, Tube) times for Kensington Olympia are printed in large boxes. The first Tubes of the day that run from Earl's Court to Kensington Olympia are:

Mon-Sat: 07.02

Sun: 07.54

These times match the results in the Journey Planner on the same site. If you try searching for an earlier time you're given alternatives that include walking from nearby stations.

Other Tube stations, such as Hammersmith and High Street Kensington, are within easy walking distance of the venue (ie, 10 minutes away), so I don't think anyone needs to worry, however early they intend arriving (crazy o'clock notwithstanding).

Depending on your planned route, it might be worth noting that the District Line will be suspended between Whitechapel and Earl's Court all weekend. This shouldn't cause headaches for too many people, as all of the affected stations are served by other Tube lines.

I'm not auditioning for a London news programme here, honest.

Edited by MinkyKnights

And its no where near The Natural History Museum thats in South Kensington...its closer to Hammersmith and Shepards Bush

Kensington is Kensington to me lol... Put it this way, I've been to Olympia often helping out my Step dad when he has his stall at a catering exhibition every year... The hotel we use is next door to the Museum, and it's a quick taxi ride away.

Quick taxi ride it may be, but it's still about 1.6 miles.

For those concerned that they can't get to Olympia by tube early enough, but might be able to get to realtively close-by tube stations, but don't fancy a subsequent walk, then bus-wise from central London, the 9, 10, 27 and 28 all run down Kensington High Street past Olympia, and the 49, the 391 and C1 will get you to within a couple of hundred yards of Olympia.

The C1 runs very close to Victoria, Sloane Square, Knightsbridge and South Kensington tube stations, the 9 and 10 go past Hyde Park Corner, Knightsbridge and High Street Ken tube stations, the 27 and the 28 go past Notting Hill and High Street Ken tube stations. The 49 runs past Gloucester Road and High Street Ken tube stations; the 391 runs past Fulham Broadway and West Kensington tube stations.

You can check out the timetables here and other useful info in terms of bus maps here

Kensington (Olympia) is only one, maybe two stops from West Brompton station when going towards Watford. If people can get to LFCC early then there's not problem getting to Olympia in the same sort of time.

Edited by Charmer

Kensington (Olympia) is only one, maybe two stops from West Brompton station when going towards Watford.

Indeed, it's one stop from West Brompton (just three minutes away) and that's another good option, Charmer. On the Saturday, the first train (ie, not Tube) leaves West Brompton at 05.15, and subsequent trains are pretty frequent. On the Sunday, the first train is at 07.30, with longer waits between services.

It may be a silly question, but still I never used the overground so I don't know how it works...

I'll have to get to Olympia from West Brompton too, so this may be the best way (and the quickest!)

Where is the entrance of the overground? I see where the underground is, but I'm not quite sure for the overground...

And how much is it? Is it the same than for a tube? A bus? Can we pay by Oyster Card? So many questions! =)

Edited by Dellefyne

West Brompton Tube and overground lines run from the same station. The entrance is the same for both; you just need the overground platforms, which are signposted. As you go through the ticket barriers, you'll see two Tubes lines first (one for each direction). The rail lines are over on the far right of the station. The platform that goes towards Olympia is the furthest one from the station entrance.

Fares? I don't know (I scoot around London on Travelcards so I don't pay much attention to other fares), but you can definitely use Oyster for this journey. You have to be careful with rail in London, as not all routes are Oyster-friendly, but you're fine with West Brompton to Kensington Olympia: the Clapham/Willesden line definitely takes Oyster.

Edited by MinkyKnights

• 2 weeks later...

I have a hotel at liverpool street. I have been on TFL website and it says I can goto Earls court, olympia, high street Kensignton or hammersmith. Where would be the best place to go? to be at the event for 7am/7:15am on sat and 8am/8:15am.

I dont mind walking if it gets me there quicker. Iv noticed not many district trans stop at olympia so thought it may be quicker to go somewhere else n walk

Edited by C.Parkers-Girl

I have a hotel at liverpool street. I have been on TFL website and it says I can goto Earls court, olympia, high street Kensignton or hammersmith. Where would be the best place to go? to be at the event for 7am/7:15am on sat and 8am/8:15am.

I dont mind walking if it gets me there quicker. Iv noticed not many district trans stop at olympia so thought it may be quicker to go somewhere else n walk

Kensington Olympia is definitely the closest station to the venue: it's right next door to Olympia. You just need to walk a little way up Hammersmith Road to reach the entrance to Olympia 2. According to the TFL site, the first District Line Tube arrives at 7.05am on Saturday and 7.57am on Sunday (leaving Earl's Court three minutes before). So as long as you can plot an early-morning Tube route from Liverpool Street to Earl's Court, you should be okay.

If you'd rather have more options, though, the other stations you mentioned are only about 10 minutes' walk away. If you don't know the area, it's probably best to go with Hammersmith or High Street Kensington, as the route to the venue from either of these stations is a straight road. (Granted, the route from Earl's Court doesn't look too complicated either but, having never walked it, I can't vouch for it. I've walked the Hammersmith route many times and it's very, very easy.)

Edited by MinkyKnights

Im getting the train to kings cross, how far would you guys say it would be in a taxi, from kings cross, to the olympia? and will it cost a fortune??

as others mentioned, taxi would be rather expensive, and it might not be that much quicker than catching a tube anyway.

if you're getting into kings cross anyway, you might be better off catching the piccadilly line to earls court - as someone (MinkyKnights?) mentioned, you can walk to Olympia from that station, or change for olympia line if the train is running by then (depending on the time), or catch a taxi from there (earls court) which would at least be a shorter (and therefore cheaper) journey than from kings cross ....?

I'm worrying myself - I am rubbish with understanding the whole train system and the tube frankly scares me! I know how to get to Kings Cross St Pancras and from there I have no idea what to do :P I just looked on the website and apparently there is working at the station that weekend too. I have no idea how I'll get there!! :smile:

• Moderators

Assuming everything is working, it shouldn't be too confusing from KX.

Picadilly Line down to Earls Court, and then the District Line to Olympia.

I tried to check the weekend on TFL website but it doesn't seem to go that far.