'Over the table' photos

I think its a hell of a cheek going up and asking for an over the table photo without buying an autograph.

It costs a fortune for Showmasters to get the guests to come, and if everybody did that, they would make no money, and there would be no more shows.

Don't people understand how these things work? You buy an autograph, the guest gets paid and SM get paid, and we get future shows. If everyone turned up, met the guests, didn't buy anything and got free photos, what would happen?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have about 80 photos from photoshoots now.

I do get over the table photos sometimes though.

What, 80 photoshoots??? With whom? I'm so curious!

*deep breath*

Ron Glass, Nathan Fillion, Mark Sheppard, Morena Baccarin, Alan Tudyk, Summer Glau, Jewel Staite, Emma Caulfield, Nick Brendan, Robert Patrick, Clare Kramer, Juliet Landau, Sean Maher, Christina Hendricks, Gigi Edgley, Nectar Rose, Michael Fairman, Johnathan Woodward, Alona Tal, Jensen Ackles, Allison Mack, Brooke Nevin, Robert Englund, Hayden Panettiere, Jack Coleman, Milo Ventimiglia, Adrian Pasdar, Michael Shanks, Chris Judge, James Kyson Lee, Kevin Sorbo, Torri Higginson, Jason Momoa, Lance Henriksen, James Marsters, George Takei, Anthony Head, David Anders, Sendhil Ramamurthy, Santiago Cabrera, Cristine Rose, Noah rey Cabey, Jessalyn Gilsig, Paul McGillion, Teryl Rothery, Claudia Black, Michael Rosenbaum, Amber Benson, Stephen Tobolowsky, Dania Ramirez, Adair Tishler, Alan Blumenfeld, Joe Flannigan, Sonny Landham, Kelly Clarkson, Kerry Ellis, Dianne Pilkington, Alesha Dixon, Oliver Thomsett, Greg Grunberg, Ashley Crow, Ntare Mwine, Mercedes McNab, Ben Browder (!), Rachel Luttrell, Liz May Brice. I also have a semi-photoshootish pic with Vincent Simone and Flavia Cacace.

All in all about 80 people but about 120 with duplicates and multi-photoshoots and poses. About half of them are also signed.

If we count separate pictures from the same shoot as one shot each a not so quick count reveals 288 for me.

Or in other words: I've been doing this for way too long. :thumbup:

I don't like it when people outdo me. *Secretly plots ways of deleting post*

I have about 80 photos from photoshoots now.

I do get over the table photos sometimes though.

What, 80 photoshoots??? With whom? I'm so curious!

*deep breath*

Ron Glass, Nathan Fillion, Mark Sheppard, Morena Baccarin, Alan Tudyk, Summer Glau, Jewel Staite, Emma Caulfield, Nick Brendan, Robert Patrick, Clare Kramer, Juliet Landau, Sean Maher, Christina Hendricks, Gigi Edgley, Nectar Rose, Michael Fairman, Johnathan Woodward, Alona Tal, Jensen Ackles, Allison Mack, Brooke Nevin, Robert Englund, Hayden Panettiere, Jack Coleman, Milo Ventimiglia, Adrian Pasdar, Michael Shanks, Chris Judge, James Kyson Lee, Kevin Sorbo, Torri Higginson, Jason Momoa, Lance Henriksen, James Marsters, George Takei, Anthony Head, David Anders, Sendhil Ramamurthy, Santiago Cabrera, Cristine Rose, Noah rey Cabey, Jessalyn Gilsig, Paul McGillion, Teryl Rothery, Claudia Black, Michael Rosenbaum, Amber Benson, Stephen Tobolowsky, Dania Ramirez, Adair Tishler, Alan Blumenfeld, Joe Flannigan, Sonny Landham, Kelly Clarkson, Kerry Ellis, Dianne Pilkington, Alesha Dixon, Oliver Thomsett, Greg Grunberg, Ashley Crow, Ntare Mwine, Mercedes McNab, Ben Browder (!), Rachel Luttrell, Liz May Brice. I also have a semi-photoshootish pic with Vincent Simone and Flavia Cacace.

All in all about 80 people but about 120 with duplicates and multi-photoshoots and poses. About half of them are also signed.

And who were your fav to meet? If you do have favorite ones!

I got quite a few 'over the table' photos for free, which I was very happy with. :D

Was NOT happy with the crew member who, at the end of Sunday, told me to go to the back of Edward Furlong's queue 3 TIMES because I just wanted to say hi & not get an auto, even though I HAD A VT!!! :thumbup:

She said that people paying for auto's "had priority", even though I had gotten my VT in the morning & had waited half the day to meet him! :D

If we count separate pictures from the same shoot as one shot each a not so quick count reveals 288 for me.

Or in other words: I've been doing this for way too long. :D

288?! :D ... 288!! :D:thumbup:

200 of those are probably with Michael Shanks!

I have a long way to go. A longer count of mine reveals I mis-counted. Should be 88 not 86 which is using the same method as you. Including retakes etc I move up to a lowly 118

*deep breath*

Impressive! Jealous of your Firefly guests. Ashamed to admit that I only watched it for the first time last week - it's excellent. I didn't meet Nathan at MK :( . Wow - Allison Mack!!

• Showmasters Admin

Every celebrity that we saw allowed us but the crew did not. Alex Meraz, Justin Chon, Danny Trejo, Michael Ironside, Edward Furlong. Once the crew said no we asked the celebrity and like I said they waved us through. Chris Sarandon said yes to a photo but the crew member said come back when there is no queue...there was one person behind us.

I respect the fact that some celebs don't want photos and therefore we wouldn't have asked or pushed them in any way.

can i let you into a tread secret :P

the crew are there to do a job which is very hard , a guest will rarely so no to a fan as they do not want to look bad or for the fan to go off on some forum and say nasty thing about them ;)

we are there to say no for the guest

we have an assistant to stop people asking for free autos

the assistant is also there to stop hugs or what ever the guest dose not want to do or take part in

in other words we are there to be the bad guy , to say no FOR the guest , and its sometimes the worst job in the world and the crew are volunteers and do this for us and you the fans , and often never get a thank you :blink:

we go over how the guest wants the signing to go before hand, we are the ones that have to run it within the rules laid down by the guest and the agents . :huh:

if we do our job well the guest is happy and will come back again, so we work very hard to in force what has been asked of us

i hope this helps you understand what we do

jason :WAVE:

I got quite a few 'over the table' photos for free, which I was very happy with. :WAVE:

Was NOT happy with the crew member who, at the end of Sunday, told me to go to the back of Edward Furlong's queue 3 TIMES because I just wanted to say hi & not get an auto, even though I HAD A VT!!! :P

She said that people paying for auto's "had priority", even though I had gotten my VT in the morning & had waited half the day to meet him! :blink:

If you check the FAQs, it says that VTs are for where you will be for autographs. It doesn't say anywhere that they are for going up to tables without coughing up just to have a bit of a chat and get a free photo. There are loads of threads which say you're paying for an auto not time with a guest, ergo if you're not paying you certainly don't get time.

I got quite a few 'over the table' photos for free, which I was very happy with. :WAVE:

Was NOT happy with the crew member who, at the end of Sunday, told me to go to the back of Edward Furlong's queue 3 TIMES because I just wanted to say hi & not get an auto, even though I HAD A VT!!! :P

She said that people paying for auto's "had priority", even though I had gotten my VT in the morning & had waited half the day to meet him! :blink:

If you check the FAQs, it says that VTs are for where you will be for autographs. It doesn't say anywhere that they are for going up to tables without coughing up just to have a bit of a chat and get a free photo. There are loads of threads which say you're paying for an auto not time with a guest, ergo if you're not paying you certainly don't get time.

I had done this with several other guests over the course of the weekend & none of the other crew members seemed to have a problem with it.

And who were your fav to meet? If you do have favorite ones!

I love a lot of them for numerous reasons. I'll list a few:

Robert Englund - For posting in Freddy mode with the glove!

Greg Grunberg - I was dressed was Claire (Heroes) with my head split open and he pretended to do the Sylar head point, and then pretended to lick the blood. SO FUNNY.

Sean Maher, Michael Shanks, Paul McGillion, Lance Henriksen - Were all so sweet and cuddly (in a non-creepy way)

Kelly Clarkson, Rachel Luttrell, Adair Tishler, Torri Higginson - Such bouncy, sweet, fun girls!

Alona Tal - Also a very sweet girl, and the first photo I have that I liked my own expression on. As an added bonus, she's the only one other than Adair (the kid, LMAO!) who didn't tower over me.

Sonny Landham - I was his guest assistant for the day and he grabbed me in such a sweet hug for the photo! We look so genuinely friendly and cosy, which isn't THAT common when you're basically strangers.

Those are just the ones I lvoed having the photos with. There are others that I lvoed meeting for autographs more.

I had done this with several other guests over the course of the weekend & none of the other crew members seemed to have a problem with it.

Okay, think of this situation.

You're in a shop. The shop is really busy, really popular, and it's only open for one day. Everyone around you has a product that they want to buy, and they're queueing up to buy it. You don't want to buy anything. You're just queueing up to chat to the cashier. There's only one cashier and you make everyone who wants to buy things wait while you natter. The people behind you would be right to be annoyed, wouldn't they?

How do you think everyone who actually wants to buy something feels about you strolling up without any money to have a chat? I'd be pretty annoyed. Like Nicky said before - it's cool if there's no queue, most guests even like it because it keeps them busy, but it's just wrong when there are PAYING customers around you wanting that very time limited product.

Edited by Psychosis

When I queued the first time, there were 2 people in front of me, but no-one behind me...

... but by the time Edward had finished the two in front, there were another 4 behind me... & this happened every time I re-queued. :(

I wanted to specifically talk to him about American History X, as it was one of very few movies that affected me in a big way (through family history).

Edward was gracious with everyone else who I was made to queue behind... however, because of this particular crew member, I didnt even get the chance to speak to him. :(

When I queued the first time, there were 2 people in front of me, but no-one behind me...

... but by the time Edward had finished the two in front, there were another 4 behind me... & this happened every time I re-queued. :D

I wanted to specifically talk to him about American History X, as it was one of very few movies that affected me in a big way (through family history).

Edward was gracious with everyone else who I was made to queue behind... however, because of this particular crew member, I didnt even get the chance to speak to him. ^_^

If you'd bought an autograph (like you're supposed to) you'd have had every opportunity to talk to him about American History X (which I did), and you'd have every right to moan if you were unsatisfied. As it happens, you did nothing to pay towards his appearance, unlike everybody else who bought an autograph and got to chat to him.

It winds me up when you get stuck behind people like you - its almost embarassing!!!

Edited by keithporter23

When I go over to just say hi to a guest (without buying an auto) I only do it when there is NO ONE there and they're not already chatting to a someone else like crew. I wouldn't do what you did and go over even when there was only 2 people there. I geenrally only go over if they look bored...and usually only towards the end of the day.

You said you had a VT, right? Didn't you use it to actually pay for an auto??? You can't expect that just cos you have a VT it automatically means you get to meet the guest - if that was the case and everyone did that, SM would never make any money cos people would just pick up VTs just so they could meet the guest but not buy an auto. The VT's are there to give you access to the queue to pay, not the guest themselves.

Did you actually pay to meet ANY guests???

Edited by nicky

... but by the time Edward had finished the two in front, there were another 4 behind me... & this happened every time I re-queued. ^_^

Edward was gracious with everyone else who I was made to queue behind... however, because of this particular crew member, I didnt even get the chance to speak to him. :(

I think you have been very unfairly treated, perhaps more than anyone in history. Have you considered taking this to the European Court of Human Rights?

Like you I experienced problems with crew over the weekend, I managed to nick a few VTs out of peoples hands while they were being given out, but each time I was told I had to give them back. Then when I did manage to sneak into the queue and get to the front some crew member told me I had to pay for an autograph when I asked for one for free. I wouldn't mind normally but I made it clear that I didn't want to pay because I didn't want to spend much money at the event.

Honestly, it's political correctness gone mad/this country/life? don't talk to me about life etc etc

288?! :D ... 288!! :(^_^

200 of those are probably with Michael Shanks!

I'd have to count that again, but Michael is probably around 20 somewhere, give or take a few if you're counting retakes. The guest who I have the most pictures with is actually Alexis Cruz.

... but by the time Edward had finished the two in front, there were another 4 behind me... & this happened every time I re-queued. :(

Edward was gracious with everyone else who I was made to queue behind... however, because of this particular crew member, I didnt even get the chance to speak to him. :D

I think you have been very unfairly treated, perhaps more than anyone in history. Have you considered taking this to the European Court of Human Rights?

Like you I experienced problems with crew over the weekend, I managed to nick a few VTs out of peoples hands while they were being given out, but each time I was told I had to give them back. Then when I did manage to sneak into the queue and get to the front some crew member told me I had to pay for an autograph when I asked for one for free. I wouldn't mind normally but I made it clear that I didn't want to pay because I didn't want to spend much money at the event.

Honestly, it's political correctness gone mad/this country/life? don't talk to me about life etc etc

Good post Count ^_^

Edited by A007

• Showmasters Admin

You have to realise that EACH guest costs SM thousands of pounds to bring to the show, in a load of cases 5 figure sums. The only way they get that money back is from people buying autographs and photo shoots with that guest. I understand you saying "you paid for others", but I'm afraid we can't take that into consideration. Or people would come in, buy one autograph and then spend all day "chatting" to the other guests.

So we HAVE to give paying customers priority. In the FAQ it does clearly state that paying customers come first and that you maybe refused to "just chat" or ask for a photo with to a guest. The problem is it's not just you. If we let you do it, we have to let "everyone" just come up and chat, then we could easily end up with having 50%+ of the queue just being people coming up for a "chat". At that point the shows become financially un-viable and have to close.

The crew member in this case was doing their job "correctly". If you were allowed down other VTs queues without buying an autograph I'm afraid it was those crew that were in the wrong. Not this one.

I love this post!! well said count.

Everybody expects everything for nothing these days. Dont people realise these events cost money to run???

As usual, the Count has posted a blinder. Maybe I should demand a refund on my Hub 3 ticket but still go, because I'm paying £170 car tax and using my car to get there. In fact, I shouldn't EVER pay for anything at an SM/ME event ever again, because I have to pay my TV licence to watch the people that they bring to conventions, therefore I have already given them my money.

Sorted. Jason, I expect my free VTs/auto vouchers in the post today.

I got over the table shots with most of the guests I met, but I paid for autographs from all of them too. The only one I didn't pay for, was I managed to get a photo with Tom Baker at the end of the Doctor Who talk - but as he was quite happy to pose for some of us who were in the talk, I didn't feel awkward asking for one becuase I'd come to the talk to hear him.

Personally, I think it's rude to go up to a guest at their desk and ask for something without buying an autograph - in my opinion all it's doing is showing the guest that you don't think they're worth paying the money for. If you've met them before and they're not busy at all, fair enough. But otherwise I don't agree with it. I wanted to chat to Eve Myles later in the day on Sunday after I'd met her in the morning - so I paid for another autograph (even though I'd got everything I wanted signed) so that I could go and meet her again, and I'm so glad I did.

Some of these responses are fantastic, haha

Exactly my thinking. I feel rude just asking without paying.

Its why I come to these events to meet people instead of going to premiers and hanging out at the barriers. I feel rude shouting for someone to come over and sign something for nothing.

Even though I call any event like this a 'convention', this is a signing event. The main purpose of the event is for people to pay for autographs from celebrities. If they dont mind posing at the table for a picture as well, then thats a bonus, but SM need the money otherwise they cant get more people for the next event.

After getting Alex's autograph on Saturday morning - later in the afternoon before LFCC closed we went to speak to Alex and Justin as they were sitting next to each other and asked if we could chat to them and have our pics taken with them - they both said yes and the crew said it was ok as no one else was there - we chatted to them both for ages - they were both really nice and down to earth.

We've met Justin before and chatted to him about ET1 and how he enjoyed himself there and Alex said he'd like to go to an ET Con as well as we all had such a great time together.

I would like to say we had a great day would have been even better if Peter had been there, but that was no ones fault but Peter's - good job we've met him before.

Will be back next year...well done SM.

can i let you into a tread secret :blush:

the crew are there to do a job which is very hard , a guest will rarely so no to a fan as they do not want to look bad or for the fan to go off on some forum and say nasty thing about them ;)

Humph. They would be a poor fan if they did.

the assistant is also there to stop hugs or what ever the guest dose not want to do or take part in

*shudder* Assuming a hug! what cheek. I feel shy enough if they put their arm around you.

we go over how the guest wants the signing to go before hand, we are the ones that have to run it within the rules laid down by the guest and the agents. :(

;)

When I went to go see Jewel Staite on Sunday end, after her quick escapist jaunt ( :lol: ), getting a photo of her holding her autograph was fine. But having me in it? Nuh-uh.

It just seems like the fans are being told what to do, and what to spend their money on. "Like it or lump it." I just like organisations working with the customers more, together, one big happy family.

i hope this helps you understand what we do

Actually, what helps me more is hearing from so many people that you, Jason, do it because you love it. :lol:

But, not that I disagree with you, but what about, FOR EXAMPLE, people like Sean Maguire? I really wished I got his autograph now, because he did jump up and was very happy posing and talking with attendees. And he has such a lovely smile. And he's pretty.:D

Wow.

I just realised how bad that sounded.

I swear I didn't spend the whole day drooling at him from a distance.

Maybe...

:D

:D

Whenever I ask for photos over the table, I always keep half an eye on the crew, because I know they have their own instructions.

The only way they get that money back is from people buying autographs and photo shoots with that guest.

I remember a time when the general policy was that over-the-table were fine, as long as there wasn't a massive queue to get through... It seems to have changed since I took a two year break from these events. :(

Was NOT happy with the crew member who, at the end of Sunday, told me to go to the back of Edward Furlong's queue 3 TIMES because I just wanted to say hi & not get an auto, even though I HAD A VT!!! mad.gif

She said that people paying for auto's "had priority", even though I had gotten my VT in the morning & had waited half the day to meet him!

I'm not surprised. Of course those buying an auto have priority.

I would never go up to a guest and ask for a photo without buying an autograph, maybe have a chat if they look bored and someone I know is around... but otherwise, no way. It's not fair to SM. Like entry price and stall bookings are going to pay all the fees and costs involved.

Hmm its a hard one. Maybe the guests DO feel bad about saying no but meh, they have a voice, so if they were against photos without autos they COULD say no.

I didnt get any free over the counter photos but I met Edward twice and got photos with him both times as with justin and alex.

I got over the table photos with

Kenny Baker

Dave Prowse

Peter Mayhew

Michael Shanks (and a professional photo too)

I asked Jewel Staite but she said that she couldn't and the same with the Phelps twins (although I did see these guys at the end of the day and they probably wanted to go home)

If they need to keep the line moving then I don't have a problem with not getting a photo, there's always next time!

:blush: