Live music: Top 5!

theoden_of_rohan

Ok, the question is simple. Which are the 5 best concerts/performances you've seen?

And, once you've deliberated over that, choose the 5 artists/bands you'd still like to see live...

5 best I've seen...

- The Smashing Pumpkins (I've seen them 3 times, but the best was the second time at Shepherd's Bush. It was their first UK gig after them reforming, and it was really intimate. Amazing!)

- David Bowie (at Glastonbury 2000. He's one of my musical idols and seeing him was a dream come true. He performed ALL of his greatest hits, which is actually quite rare for him to do these days. We were very lucky!)

- Michael Jackson (what a legend! I saw him during the History tour at Wembley, and he didn't disappoint. He moonwalked, did the 'white glove' thing and they even did the whole Thriller dance. Incredible!)

- REM (at Glastonbury 1999. I will never forget the moment during 'Everybody Hurts' that a flare was shot into the sky and the enormous crowd was suddenly illuminated in a red glow. It sounds soppy, but it was a really beautiful moment!)

- Prince (at the o2 last year. He may be small, but he can certainly work an audience. Hit after hit, this was an excellent concert!)

5 I still need to see...

- Bjork (seeing her in 9 days though, hoorah!)

- Eric Clapton (seeing him in the Summer, hoorah!)

- The Rolling Stones

- Radiohead

- Nine Inch Nails (seen one song, but need to see MORE!)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhmmmm....

I havent seen any huge amazing bands....

but for me it would be

(in no order)

the wombats - fantastic. heard them before they got big.

taking back sunday - just amazing live performer

the feeling - sounded just like they do on their records

green day - amazing atmosphere

& the enemy were realllyyy good live : )

(jimmy eat world are somewhere up there too)

• Moderators

Muse

I could gush lots about them, but they're extremely deserving of all the accolades they get for their live performances. I've seen them in different circumstances, from a tiny venue to a stadium gig, and it doesn't matter where I see them, they're always awesome to see.

Foo Fighters

Uh, Dave Grohl duh.

Green Day

A more audience-involving group live, which in comparison to Muse is a completely different experience, but a band that were very important to me at the time and a gig I'll never forget.

Blink 182

Other than Travis' fantastic drum solos etc, perhaps not the quality live as on CD, however another band that will always be very important to me, and one that I feel lucky to have seen before they split.

REM

Been a fan for as long as I can remember - probably one of the first groups I ever got into, and I know Everybody Hurts is overused but still .. to see it live, surrounded by people that appreciated it on the same level as I did, was something very memorable.

I've not seen that many live really, but here goes...

1. Michael Jackson. Major legend of enormous proportions. I saw the History tour at Wembley too. Looking back now, I realise he mimed to most of it which is a little disappointing. But because it's him, he gets away with it =P.

2. AFI. Fantastic live show! And Davey Havok crowd walked which was cool but a bit scary!

3. Christina Aguilera. Just amazing.

4. My Chemical Romance.

5. Deathstars. =]

Edited by Lady of The Realm

I've only ever seen two and they have both been country/country and western singers my favourite would be Dolly Parton, I went to see her for my 21st birthday present from my parents and would love to do it again some time...

:D

LLAP :D

Ok, I seriously couldn't put these in any order. That would be like picking a fave child- even tho i don't have any hehe:

1. Blink 182... like DeeBee I was lucky enough to see them live- twice. They were amazing, total energy on stage, and really included the audience

2. Foo Fighters... Saw them at Hyde Park, and it was fantastic. The BEST bit was when Brian May and Roger Taylor from my fave band in the whole world, Queen, Joined them on stage for a few songs. I screamed so much I missed loads lol, but I have it all on DVD

3. Linkin Park... Saw them years ago at Reading Festival, headliners. Dunno if it was the whole weekend or just that bit, but I had an amazing time

4. Good Charlotte... Again, at Reading, and even though it was short, I loved it.

5. Kane... Any surprises there lol? Acoustic, but yay-ness... they were amazing :D

Akercocke's Tenth Anniversery Show (2007)

Nine Inch Nails & David Bowie Outside Tour (1995)

Metallica @ Download 2006 performing Master of Puppets in its entirety INCLUDING Orion

Emperor's last UK show 2006

Roger Waters performing Dark Side of the Moon 2007 @ London O2 Arena

AND

Gigantour 2005 - Megadeth/Dream Theater/Symphony-X/Anthrax/Fear Factory and Life of Agony :crying:

Edited by rogue_entity

1. Radio Birdman. Best live act I've ever seen in something over a thousand gigs.

2. The Pretty Things. The band that made the Stones look like pageboys can still turn in a dynamite show.

3. Jefferson Starship. Folk-rock to acid-rock to a score of other genres. When they're on, they're on.

4. Motorhead. Loud and dirty rock'n'roll? Step right this way...

5. A toss up between The Prisoners and The D4, two bands that broke up relatively young and should have been huge.

well i've only ever seen one group live

Toots and the Maytals!! dunno if anyone here has heard of them, but they were brilliant. and for a 60yr old, toots can still dance well

i wanna see bob marley, but i think my chances of seeing him are a bit slim...

well i've only ever seen one group live

Toots and the Maytals!! dunno if anyone here has heard of them

If they'd never recorded anything except "Pressure Drop" they would still be worth knowing.

You might never see Bob Marley, but Jimmy Cliff is still touring and well worth going to see.

...And, once you've deliberated over that, choose the 5 artists/bands you'd still like to see live...

Forgot this bit.

Five I'd still like to see

1. Patti Smith - why do I always seem to miss her?

2. Died Pretty - enigmatically twisted

3. The Mooney Suzuki

4. The Dirtbombs

5. The Detroit Cobras

actually the five I'd really want to see are the five I'm alas never going to see:

5. Free

4. Mott The Hoople

3. Tommy Bolin

2. Jimi Hendrix

1. MC5 - absolutely dynamite live band. There's not much live footage out there, but what little there is is amazing. Two guitarists twirling like whirling dervishes, bending over backwards, leaping around like madmen, all the while cranking out great riffs, whilst the singer sings, dances, works the crowd and orchestrates the crowd. Phenomenal.

I haven't seen that many either, but here goes...

1. Brenda Lee - she could be heard clear across the venue even without a mic!!!

2. The Mavericks - nuff said!

3. Bryan Adams - lost count how many times and he's always brilliant!

4. Meatloaf - amazing!

5. Duran Duran

People I'm still waiting to see...er, well, most of the people I'd love to see are actually dead now (eg. Billy Fury, Dusty Springfield) so no chance really. Celine Dion? I'd like to see her. Ooh, and Chris de Burgh. There - that's two who are still alive ;) Oh, and someone I'd like to see again (apart from my top 5) Don Williams!!!!

I don't wish to read any sarky comments about my taste in music either lol :poki:

OK, My Top 5 ever gigs are....

1 - U2 - Manchester 2005

OK, I adore U2 and was counting down the days to see them live and my god, they were amazing.... The atmosphere was electric - just spine chilling -

Was front row - right by Edge! AWSOME!

Cannot wait for them to tour next year (hopefully!)

2 - Oasis - Milton Keynes 2005

I have seen Oasis live 4 times but this last one was the best. We were front row, infront of Noel and yes us Girlies got crushed to high heaven by large drunk men but hey it was well worth it

3 - The Killers - Wembley Arena 2007

Awsome atmosphere - again front row - getting crused again!

4 - Take That - Milton Keynes - 2007

I loved TT back in the day and their renion tour was amazing... I went 3 times (twice to Wembley Arena) but the Milton Keynes gig was outstanding and again we were front row

5 - Robbie Williams - Milton Keynes - 2007

The most entertaining male solo singer - EVER!

I don't have a long list of people I want to see it is just Green Day and MCR!

Lisa

Top 5 to see?

Mustard Plug It was so good, audience interaction (with the lead singer diving into the crowd and singing from there. ;p

Streetlight Manifesto Supporting Reel Big Fish. In Oxford. So good.

Breed77 Seen them a couple of times at the Zodiac now, still great fun to watch.

The Automatic They're funny, strange little men, but funny.

Kaiserchiefs I'm not really a fan, but they were very good performers.

Band I need to see...

Cauterize! Going to be kinda hard since they split but I live in hope.

Blue Oyster Cult 11th June WOOT!!

Audioslave

Relient K

Catch22

4. Meatloaf - amazing!

5. Duran Duran

People I'm still waiting to see...er, well, most of the people I'd love to see are actually dead now (eg. Billy Fury, Dusty Springfield) so no chance really. Celine Dion? I'd like to see her. Ooh, and Chris de Burgh. There - that's two who are still alive B) Oh, and someone I'd like to see again (apart from my top 5) Don Williams!!!!

I don't wish to read any sarky comments about my taste in music either lol ;)

i'm assuming you know that celine is currently touring. i myself will be seeing her may 6th at the o2

1. Queen, Live Aid 1985 (yes, I was there :borg: )

2. Prince, Wembley about 1988 ish (Lovesexy Tour, the circular stage one)

3. The Cure, Wembley 1987

4. The The, Aston University, 1989

Joint 5. David Bowie, Sade, George Michael, Sting, Live Aid 1985

I also have to add a surprise entry of John Barrowman, last night at the Colston Hall,Bristol - he was amazingly good (and the Capt Jack appearance was a bonus).

Who I'd like to see - I honestly can't think of anyone. Maybe Newton Faulkner, though the Jethro Tull tickets are also calling :hathor:

4. Meatloaf - amazing!

5. Duran Duran

People I'm still waiting to see...er, well, most of the people I'd love to see are actually dead now (eg. Billy Fury, Dusty Springfield) so no chance really. Celine Dion? I'd like to see her. Ooh, and Chris de Burgh. There - that's two who are still alive :D Oh, and someone I'd like to see again (apart from my top 5) Don Williams!!!!

I don't wish to read any sarky comments about my taste in music either lol :poki:

i'm assuming you know that celine is currently touring. i myself will be seeing her may 6th at the o2

Yeah, I know :( Unfortunately I can't afford it and none of my friends would go with me anyway... Hope you have a good time though :WINCE:

4. Meatloaf - amazing!

5. Duran Duran

People I'm still waiting to see...er, well, most of the people I'd love to see are actually dead now (eg. Billy Fury, Dusty Springfield) so no chance really. Celine Dion? I'd like to see her. Ooh, and Chris de Burgh. There - that's two who are still alive :WAVE: Oh, and someone I'd like to see again (apart from my top 5) Don Williams!!!!

I don't wish to read any sarky comments about my taste in music either lol :(

Yeah, I know :( Unfortunately I can't afford it and none of my friends would go with me anyway... Hope you have a good time though :angry:

the tickets were indeed a hefty price.i really can't wait, i'm such a girl :dance:

1. Meat Loaf - Seen him twice and want to again.

2. Bon Jovi - Excellent stadium act.

3. Picture House - Supported Meat Loaf in Cardiff and were superb on stage and when they did an impromptu signing (free of charge) during the hour break before Meat Loaf came on stage.

4. Match Box 20 - Supported Bon Jovi in the Millenium Stadium and nearly stole the show.

5. Common Rotation - Caught two of them (Adam Busch & Eric Kufs) when they did an accoustic gig at a convention several years ago.