smoking ban

indio

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been banned here for a while. As a hater of smoke, it's a good thing that you can come home from a night out without smelling like an ashtray, but there are downsides as well. Now you have to walk through a "picket-line" of smokers at the front door of pubs and restaurants, which I already have to do at work :thumbup:

i am for it but i do feel a bit sorry for smokers!!

i am an ex smoker and i must admit i hate going places where ppl are smoking, mainly due to the smell, however i can understand how smokers must be feeling right now and i dont think the ban makes it that much easier for ppl to give up smoking as its damn hard!!

i dont necessarily agree that standing around smoking outside pubs/works etc is the right thing either especially if ppl passing them could get a face full of smoke blown at them or even burnt (extreme case)

i do feel sorry for pubs etc that want to provide smokers with some alternative i.e. some kind of awning outside but are not being allowed to do this, surely their businesses will suffer?!!

so what is the solution? :thumbup:

I'm for it especially as I DJ at weekends and go home stinking and so does all the equipment which I have to store in my house. However I do feel that there should be somewhere allocated to smokers rather than outside the front / back door.

I believe that pubs in Scotland and Northern Ireland now smell of rotten farts rather than smoke as ther's nothing to cover it!!

I am delighted smoking will be banned in public. I've had asthma and will finally beable to go out to the pub with my firends next week.

I find it unbelieveable it has taken this long to happen.

Edited by Daniel

Being a smoker..and having been one for the last 16 years, most people expect me to be against the ban.

On some areas I am, others I welcome it.. I agree hate having smoke around while eating, i want to taste my food rather than smoke (And before anyone mentions it, yes i CAN taste my food all the time rather than the nicotine from a fag).

I disagree with banning it completely from Pubs.. since time began there has been a 'SMOKING' room at the local. A tiny room big enough to hold a dozen people. Why that can't be kept i dont know. It was at the back of the building, away from the main lounge/bar and childrens area and the tiny excuse for a kitchen.

I get angry at times discussing the smoker/non-smoker realtionship, so i'm not going to go into it here, it will only end in tears.

so in short.. yes ban it from restaurants / food areas of pubs. No it shouldn't be banned totally !

Im for it as a non smoker i hate waking up with a hangover and the first thing i smell is the stale smoke on my hair and clothes i threw on the floor makes me throw up ;)

Althou its something that will never be fully agreed because people on each side say there rights are not being considered solution hard work :chair:

for it.

smoing areas are pleasureing stupid and pointless anyway. My local, and most pub/clubs i've been to just have the smoking area in another section, roped off area, or past a sign on the wall. There's no actual barrier, and the imaginary line doesn't actually stop the smoke getting to the rest of the room surprisingly.

be completely honest with yourselves, there's no REAL argument against the ban.

Not long now anyway, thank god it'll be the people with already fuked up lungs going out of their way to have a fag, rather than me having to just sit and put up with it while my mates all smoke around me

I'm a non-smoker but I'm worried by the nanny-stateism of legislation.

If so many people wanted no-smoking pubs, why didn't they crop up and flourish without legislation?

Every pub had the right to declare itself smoke-free before this legislation came/comes into effect - very few did. Given the anti-smoking lobby has been saying that non-smokers would flock to snoke-free pubs and said pubs would thus be hugely successful, why is legislation required?

that's pretty simple to answer.

Not many pubs went smoke free because it would cut custom.

So, since my original point was that "Given the anti-smoking lobby has been saying that non-smokers would flock to smoke-free pubs and said pubs would thus be hugely successful", I take it that you think that such contentions by the anti-smoking lobby are a load of old cobblers?

that's pretty simple to answer.

Not many pubs went smoke free because it would cut custom.

So, since my original point was that "Given the anti-smoking lobby has been saying that non-smokers would flock to smoke-free pubs and said pubs would thus be hugely successful", I take it that you think that such contentions by the anti-smoking lobby are a load of old cobblers?

I think they are exaggerated yes, but at the end of the day, the number of people that stop going to the pub because of the ban will more than likely be made up by people that will want to spend more time in pubs now the smoking ban is in place.

I really can't see that many people refusing to go to the pub because of the ban anyway, they'll just go outside in the designated smoking areas like a lot of people do at work already.

I'm and ex smoker and I disagree with the ban, each establishment should have the right to choose

I agree with Harry, although I'm not an ex-smoker. I hate the things, but at the end of the day, it sould be up to the establishment.

Like I said I hate it, but as long as it doesn't come near me, I honestly don't care.