Photo Sessions at LFCC4 & C8

frosty

Should SM events have photo sessions??  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Should SM events have photo sessions??

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A resounding yes - what harm does it do to take a photo of someone from a distance.

I appreciate that posing for photos does create some time issues - however on a couple of occasions I have been asked not to take photos of people when I have not been in the Q.

Surely people arent that precious.

It's a great idea.

I am going to two Star Wars conventions which are both offering Photo sessions which lets you have a photo with all of the Star Wars guests attending for about £10.

It's cool because for example someone could have a photo with all of the Buffy Cast attending or Buck Rogers. It just adds something special to remember

• 3 weeks later...

I dont mind the idea of photo sessions but only if there is still the opportunity to have your photo taken for free with the individual guests (if possible) when getting your auto.

Obviously the photo sesions are good if you wana pay for a professional photo to be taken or a group shot if there are alot of Buffy/Angel/Star Wars etc guests.

I wouldnt like it if photo sessions meant that there could be no photos taken when getting your autos.

Also there would be the time away from signing for the guests when doing the photo sessions which could be a concern.

Other than that its a fair idea.

• 9 months later...

Speaking as an ugly beggar, I'm never that fussed on pics with guests, unless I'm reeeeeally into them or their work. I did get one in Birmingham recently, because it was (nearly) all the Red Dwarf cast in one pic with me.

The Others do dedicated photo sessions and they are crap for two reasons.

1. The guests tend not to pose at their signing table (no matter how quiet it is) because they can make more forcing you into the dedicated photo session.

2. The finished print (from The Others) is on crap paper, and is covered in advertising, both in the backdrop, and under the pic itself.

Having said that, posed pics at signing tables often look cheesy, perched strangely over a seated guest who may or may not be looking at the camera. A proper photo session can result in a better photo, and if it eats into signing time, it has to carry a cost, so long as we aren't taken for a ride. It tends (at Birmingham) to be a well managed cattle market approach anyway, so it shouldn't need more than an hour per guest(s).

Edited by dufresne

I vote no. Most of the bigger guests are already busy all day signing autographs none stop and even then not everyone gets an autograph. I know a few people who didn't get an autograph from James Marsters at C7 and he signed all day. If he'd stopped to do a photo session then even less fans would've got an autograph

I couldnt agree more with this. I personally feel that if they were to do this it would tie up time and therefore some people go away disappointed...

• Moderators

As long as it doesn't changed the possibility of photos while meeting the guest, then it should be fine. Not everyone will want a photo session, nor be able to afford it.

Also it'd be more interesting if there were say .. I dunno, themed backgrounds or relevant props/vehicles etc, just something unique I guess, groups shots etc but at an affordable price :)

Hi I voted no.

I have seen this at other events, and due to the photo sessions be in a signing time some missed out meeting the guest/getting an auto. Richard Dreyfuss, Elijah Wood and Carrie Fisher I wonder if these have photo sessions, and then ppl miss out on an auto, how many ppl will be on here sounding off. I for one.

• Moderators

I'm sure they'd work it out so that people WOULDN'T miss out on getting autographs etc.

If it's clearly stated BEFORE the event then people can organise just fine. I can't imagine they'd do a photo session with a REALLY busy guest if they were only there for a day for example, it just wouldn't work and they'd be better off just leaving it at autographs.

If this is the case, and they ARE doing guest photo sessions (which isn't even confirmed yet!!) then I'm sure they'll have gone through all the logistics etc and considered all the options before introducing them.

However, "photo opportunities" could easily be with vehicles etc or other things.

I think 1 hour of photo session per day for the Main Guest Only would be fine

I also think for Gold Pass holders you should get a posed photo anyway!!!! Paid enough for gods sake! :thumbup:

I've sent an email regarding this on behalf of gold ticket holders to SM we'll see what happens

I think 1 hour of photo session per day for the Main Guest Only would be fine

I also think for Gold Pass holders you should get a posed photo anyway!!!! Paid enough for gods sake! :P

I've sent an email regarding this on behalf of gold ticket holders to SM we'll see what happens

seems reasonable if you are amongst 50 people who spend that much money on a ticket you can get a posed photo regardless??!! :huh:

i hope that showmasters don't loose sight of what these events are all about getting an autograph from tour favourite star, if they want to do photo sessions do it AFTER the event has finished its going to be bad enough to get 1 of the big names, if you want 2 nearly impossible and 3 forget about it. i my self can only attend on saturday but i could make time to hang around to get the posed photo then

if the guests are not too busy towards the end of the event then start the posed pictures then

i'm sure the guest won't mind doing an extra hour for the money they could make

also i have heard that if you sign on those portable printer pictures the ink gets absorbed by the print

my 2 cents

hope that showmasters don't loose sight of what these events are all about getting an autograph from tour favourite star, if they want to do photo sessions do it AFTER the event has finished its going to be bad enough to get 1 of the big names, if you want 2 nearly impossible and 3 forget about it. i my self can only attend on saturday but i could make time to hang around to get the posed photo then

if the guests are not too busy towards the end of the event then start the posed pictures then

i'm sure the guest won't mind doing an extra hour for the money they could make

also i have heard that if you sign on those portable printer pictures the ink gets absorbed by the print

my 2 cents

I like this idea, as long as they dont blanket ban photos with at the table. This way it works out for all

No No No No! The other event that has this, they who shall not be named for this weekend... They are handling it sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo badly!!!

They haven't given which actors are having photo ops, they haven't given which days, they haven't given prices... just a maybe £15 each or around £60 for groups.... Which groups? What days? How much money do I bring!!!

I'm just soooo annoyed, as (sorry SM) I'm going as some of my fave actors are there, but I don't know If i'm going tomorrow or sunday!! Its like, hello can you not organise it?

And because of the photo ops, this means that a lot of the awful crew tell us not to even take our cameras out of our bags! It was like this with the enterprise cast once, and from previous events I've had photos with them, and Linda Park looked embarassed when the crew member told me know, as she was about to say yes! Sod that, I'm asking the actors anyway this year....

I like SM as they always answer my questions, and the crew are lovely.. I don't want them to turn all "we're all posh and do everything blah" cos its more simple and everyone prefers it that way... the way its always been.

Stupid photo ops... :lol:

As at recent Collectormanias and LFCC3 - some of the larger guests werent allowed to pose for photos!

i think on occasion that guests themselves refuse to pose - i know at LFCC1 that Brent Spiner refused unless you were gettin his auto.

yup, its a good idea - but only if the guest is willing. Some guests might even prefer photos while signin rather than time out.

its really down to what the guest wants, is my view.

if the photo's were professional, then it would take at LEAST 18 hours to develop them and the administration would be a nightmare

odd.

it takes ONE HOUR to develop a FULL roll of film in the chemist's.

even at most, it can be done in 4 or 5 hours.

Administration's easy - have someone who knows what they're doin say how many bottles of development fluid and whatnot are needed for x-amount of photos, and just buy double what you expect. what you don't use this time can be re-used laterl

:angel::pyth::wub:B)

I would love to get a pose picture with

CARRIE FISHER

:D:P:(:o

Ditto, it is the main reason I am considering going, the two times I have met her before Ive not been able to get a photo

I'll be gutted if I go and dont get a photo with her but I know theres a good chance of that happening, thing is I will be forever kicking myself if I dont go and she allows photos this time

I really like the idea, and think it can work. 6 by 9 seems an odd size though! But I am delighted by the idea, and really sure that it can be done well. Also pleased that showmasters have already said that we can still take photos from the auto queue.

Just a point though - how many photos do you think can be taken in an hour? I could not even guess, but I am guessing thousands of people would want a photo!