Photo Sessions at LFCC4 & C8

frosty

Should SM events have photo sessions??  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Should SM events have photo sessions??

• Yes
    • No

Do you think that SM should start providing photo sessions at there events???

As at recent Collectormanias and LFCC3 - some of the larger guests werent allowed to pose for photos!

eg Charisma Carpenter, Nick Brendon, Kate Mulgrew and James Marsters!!!!

Considering guest talks are now provided - are photo sessions the next logical step?!

Edited by frosty

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most standard conventions have that option - I love the SM events with or without photo opps!

However - It is dissapointing that you cant always get photos with the guests you want and its not always because the actor doesnt want to!

An alocated time could be set a side(like the guest talks) - so it wouldnt effect the autogrpah ques!

I voted no, for one reason. That other event you're talking about had some guests who would not allow photos with them simply because of the photo shoot sessions. It's a good idea for bigger guests like James Marsters at C7 but when some of the other guests that you don't really want to pay extra for won't allow photos it can be a bit of a downer. Some guests at the other show (a certain Ms. Benson for example) would take time out and give fans a free photo with them but not all of them will.

There's a good and bad side to the photoshoots. I agree it would be great to get a photo with the bigger named guests who allow no posed or in some case no photos at all but it also has it's downside when someone who would ordinarily allow a posed photo at their table will not do so and you end up forking out a heck of a lot more than you intended to.

Edited by rickyparty

• Moderators

The "no photo" rule is often down to time restrictions. Most people would prefer an autograph to a photo because it is an autograph signing show.

I would like photo sessions though because there are always a few guests that I really want photos with, and even if I do get them, the lighting's often so crap that it doesn't come out too well.

It's nice to have the OPTION but I'd not want it to turn into how some other events have been .. like, no posed photos because we want u to buy our photo sessions instead. Not everyone can afford £15 for an auto and then £15 for a photo too.

An option to have one, but not a replacement for conventional photos with guests at the signing.

The problem with having photo sessions is the time because there are so many people that go to these events there won't be time for everyone again to get a photo!!! Also with the photo sessions it means that the stars would not be signing for some time thoughout the day which would mean less autographs for people!!!

true - but there are some people who would substitute a autograph for a photo!!!!

I do agree - that it is not always worth paying £15 for a photo, however for the bigger guests EG: Charisma, James, Kate Mulgrew, Carrie Fisher and Elijah Wood - it would be nice to have the photo session option...

and I realise that having photo sessions would take about an hour away from signing autographs, however - that wasnt a concern when it comes to guest talks!

I am happy either way - but I do feel that if there arent going to be photo sessions - we should be free to ask for a posed photo and let the guest judge if they want to or not!

Personally I feel that this is one of the really big potential selling points that has been missing from previous Showmasters events, they have some really good guests, but the biggies, being popular normally mean that the no photo rule comes into play either at the start or quickly during the day.

Photo shoots need not take a lot of time out of the day, perhaps one hour at most, and with digital cameras linked to printers, there is no reason why you couldn't get your photo back quickly and then get it signed either later that day or by the guest the next day. Perhaps the cost of the photo could also include getting it signed, so you could get your photo with the celeb signed rather than a 10x8, which lets face it , the ones provided are not always of that high a quality standard.

There have been quite a few big guests over the last few shows, that have had the no photo rule, and getting a photo for me is probably as important as getting the auto.

Getting a photo with the guests is an importent part for me as well! and for most people I would say, as Ive seen it happening alot at SM events!

I think photo shoots are the next step - at least I hope so!

If not, thats fine - but I think we should then be able to ask the guests for posed photos and if they say no - then ok! rather than there being a constant ban with some of the larger guests!

i think it would be a great idea.

Maybe only for the bigger guest mind you but it only for one who wouldn't normally do photos otherwise it'l cause fights if some people are paying for photos while others getting them for free when getting autographs

I don't really think its a good idea.

The reason being, as people have mentioned above, I think that if photo sessions were introduced it would then make it even more difficult to get your own photo with or of the guest as SM and or the guest would want people to go for the professional photo option to make more money.

Not every one would be able to afford this. People who could afford it may not want it and may still prefer to take their own photo and yet that choice may be lost.

I understand that with the more popular guests there are usually no posed photos allowed and that having a proper photo session would allow people to get their photo with the guest and agree that yes, that would be very good for some people.

But personally I would never pay to have a photo with a guest. I very rarely fail to get a photo of a guest - posed if posed pics are allowed, or just of the guest signing if no psed photos are allowed. You just need to plan ahead a bit for it to work.

I do agree that it is often the case that if you ask - most guests will pose for pics!

I was lucky enough to get pix with Elijah, Sean and Dom etc....

However - at LFCC3 there was a no posed photo statement when it came to Kate, Charisma and the same with Sean, Alexis, Jolene and James MArsters at C7.

In the case of no posed photo(end of)situations - it would be nice to have the photo session option.

I personally liked it - when you could ask the guest and they could make up there own mind!

Mainly saying what others have also said. I like to have a photo with the main actors of the shows I like but I don't think it would work at eithe Collectormania or LFCC. The main issue in my opinion is time. If the more popular guests are only there for a couple of days and then take 2 hours or so out of the signing time to do photo's I think a lot of people would be really angry. I know auto's aren't guaranteed, but If I turned up, got a high ticket and then couldn't get an auto because of photo's i'd be really annoyed.

The reason it works better at conventions (i think) is that there is usually some upper limit on ticket sales so they know roughly how many people will want photo's and can schedule it in and thus it doesn't affect the auto sessions. At events like SM with the amount of people attending the shows who knows how many people would want photo's. Also over the years people keep stressing that SM events aren't conventions they are signing shows. If they have photo sessions how will that make them just a signing event any more! :wub:

Although I can appreciate people wanting photo's with the bigger guests that they may not see again.

As usual there isn't really going to be a solution thast will make everyone happy so you just have to go with the majority i suppose.

I'd be willing to pay for a professional photo as long as it is professional. I have been at a show in the US this week end, and was not at all impressed by what they called "photo session".

For 25 $ they used a digital camera that was being far away from a professional model, they cut off people's heads, the whole picture was in general very orange etc.

I had similar problems with volunteers using my camera at Showmasters shows. Granted, those people were not being paid for it, but I hope you see my point.

So yes, I am willing to pay, as long as I pretty please get a good looking picture.

I think that firstly, it would take too long to get through many attendees. Secondly, if the photo's were professional, then it would take at LEAST 18 hours to develop them and the administration would be a nightmare. Thirdly, I doubt the guests would be too happy about it... at the other event people have made reference to, all the attendees are registered, where as at a Comic Con or Collectormania, anyone could walk in off the street (see Val Kilmer and stalkers).

Sorry, but this ISN'T a convention, so you shouldn't expect the same stuff that you do at conventions.

Does anyone know if they have photo sessions at the San Diego World Comic Con?

I think that firstly, it would take too long to get through many attendees. Secondly, if the photo's were professional, then it would take at LEAST 18 hours to develop them and the administration would be a nightmare. Thirdly, I doubt the guests would be too happy about it... at the other event people have made reference to, all the attendees are registered, where as at a Comic Con or Collectormania, anyone could walk in off the street (see Val Kilmer and stalkers).

Sorry, but this ISN'T a convention, so you shouldn't expect the same stuff that you do at conventions.

Well, I know that they have photo session at the "other" London show... and that is pretty similar to London Film and Comic Con, isn't it? Anyone can buy a ticket on the day.

I don't think they have photo sessions at San Diego Comic Con.

Well, I know that they have photo session at the "other" London show... and that is pretty similar to London Film and Comic Con, isn't it? Anyone can buy a ticket on the day.

I don't think they have photo sessions at San Diego Comic Con.

Do they? I've not been to that one.... would be interested to know how they organise it?

They use a digital camera and so the picture is immediately available on a computer screen right after the photo shoot. Then they print the pictures with a high-quality laser printer and the result is just amazing. It's much quicker than developing pictures in the usual way.

Edited by lams9999

I agree - I also go to that other show in London... buy tickets on the day and pretty much always get the photos back that same day! and it is very simular to LFCC.

I Really think photo sessions would work - they would only have to set a side one hr.

and if they can do that for guest talks, they should be able to do that for photo sessions.

Its not like it was at C4 - where the guest talks were in the evening, they are in the day now!

between signing times - and no one has had a prob with that!

As I said before, if SM dont do photo sessions - thats cool. but I think that we should in turn have the oppertunity to ask the guests for a posed photo - it doesnt add on much time to the autograph que.

I agree - I also go to that other show in London... buy tickets on the day and pretty much always get the photos back that same day! and it is very simular to LFCC.

I Really think photo sessions would work - they would only have to set a side one hr.

and if they can do that for guest talks, they should be able to do that for photo sessions.

Its not like it was at C4 - where the guest talks were in the evening, they are in the day now!

between signing times - and no one has had a prob with that!

As I said before, if SM dont do photo sessions - thats cool. but I think that we should in turn have the oppertunity to ask the guests for a posed photo - it doesnt add on much time to the autograph que.

How many photo's do you think they could get through in an hour?

At the other London con I would say they manage 50 per hour,assuming no probs and it worked VERY WELL.

In my opinion a normal autograph is somewhat pointless,a personalized one good but nothing proves you were there or brings back memories like a photo of you and the guest together.I feel sure that photos will slowly 'take over' from basic autographs and in the future,when people look at these plain autographs,they will be amazed at what the 'old folk' had to put up with :huh:

p.s. It gives the guests a chance to stretch their legs :unsure:

I agree : a picture with the guest (either posed or professional) is for me much interesting than the autograph itself. Some of my autographs are really important for me because the guests have written something special for me. But most of them are just "best wishes, nice to meet you, all the best, much love" and so on.

... if the photo's were professional, then it would take at LEAST 18 hours to develop them ...

Why ?

18 hours is a bit of a random type of number to come up with, dontcha think?

I guess I'm speaking with a bit of knowledge here as I'm the bozo that does the Photography at the Collectormania/LFACC events. Having been a Professional photographer for close to 20 years now and fully digital for 30 months, I think I can speak with a bit of authority.

Firstly, the problem with doing any photo sessions at a show is tying up the celebrity's time in photoshoots rather than in signing autographs. The kind of level of guest i.e the MAIN ones are pretty tied up signing over all of the days. Take them away for an hour - thats an hour's less autos signed, say 60 in an hour @ £20 a pop, so the photosessions would have to be at least as remunerative. Except one important point...

Lets say, celeb A signs 75 autos an hour (remember Elijah signed 1000 each day when he was over here) @ £20 each = £1500.

Take celeb A away for a Photoshoot and if you are really aiming at getting PROPER photos done, with minimum of fuss, but also not making it like a one hour production line, lets say 50 pics in an hour. OK push me, lets go for 60 - thats one a minute. That works out to (@£20 each) £1200 for the hours work

EXCEPT that, with auto signing there is no cost involved, just a signature. With the Photo session, someone has to pay the Photographer for his/her time (EVERYONE FORGETS THAT IT COSTS ££££ TO HIRE A PROFESSIONAL) or at least Photographer gets a percentage. Then there is the cost of the print itself. I know at other shows, they run off crappy inkjet or laser copies (sorry they are NOT Photos and willnot last long). If we are talking about 10" x 8" prints, the minimum cost of just the print is £1 a time. Or you could try using Jessops at MK, they charge £4.99 for a 10"x8" print in one hour.

Then there is the time spent - as someone mentioned - in 'admin'. Shoot 60 photos and get them numbered or addressed, or just given to the wrong person. Yes, in theory this may not take too long, but IT DOES TAKE TIME. Time that could be spent elsewhere or you get another 'helper' to do it, which in itself is another payment.

Oh yes, and then you want the photos to get signed by the celebrity......mmmm more time spent by the guest in signing photos, instead of signing already provided photos/personal items @ £20 each.

So how do you structure the fees/costs?

Get an item signed by Celeb A @£20

Pose for a photo with Celeb A at photosession, get print done, get back to celeb to sign @ £20

Sorry, not viable is it, otherwise EVERYONE would only want a personal photo signed eh?

Alternatively, Posed professional photo @ photosession, back signed by celeb for later that day or next day @ £30 ?? £35 ??

Just work out the maths, work out the time spent and you can see just why SMs do not offer Photo sessions with the guests.

And from what I've heard, some of the muppets masquerading as 'professionals' at other shows are....well, frankly, muppets. I know one guy who does 'another show' and he was doing them while he was unemployed, but he's now a night porter at a hotel. Is that 'professional' ?