Photo Sessions at LFCC4 & C8

frosty

Should SM events have photo sessions??  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Should SM events have photo sessions??

• Yes
    • No

Then there is the cost of the print itself. I know at other shows, they run off crappy inkjet or laser copies (sorry they are NOT Photos and willnot last long).

Well, this is your opinion but I have several of these "crap pictures" and they still look good after 2 years ! I don't see any difference with my other pictures but of course I'm not professionnal ^_^

And all your arguments (mathematical or not) are certainly good but they also applied to the other event. So how can they achieve that ?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have had pics done at quite a few events and the other London based event(simular to LFCC), and they manage to organize the photo sessions really well.... Even if they took 1hr half......

Some guest are taking and hr out to do the guest talk - whats the difference.

I would be happy to pay - £20 - £30 for a proffesional photo with some of the larger guests!

Well either way - I hope photos (whether they be proffesional or taken by a freind) are allowed at the up coming events!

Too many reasons of why it can't be done, rather than looking at why it should be done.

1. It gives the celeb a break in their day when signing, which means they are likely to be able to sign faster when they return to their table, where as they often get headaches, hand cramp etc when signing all day at Showmasters events.

2. If there are no posed photos during the rest of the signings, celebs will also be able to get through more, but to get round people not being able to afford a professional photo, then have an area to the side , just for say the biggies, like a Carrie Fisher, James Marsters, Charisma etc where you can take a photo where the individual is signing but it does not disrupt the queue line.

Photos are realistically going to have to cost £20 each, and if you wanted it signed, you would have to pay another £20 on top to cover the costs of the photographer equipment etc

There wouldn't be any significant reduction in costs for the organiser though, as they would make the money from the photo sessions, and by having a no photos in the queue for the big stars they would get through more signings and also would have a break during the day which should help them keep refreshed when signing as well. Overall, more happy celebs, more happy attendees.

Well, this is your opinion but I have several of these "crap pictures" and they still look good after 2 years ! I don't see any difference with my other pictures but of course I'm not professionnal ;)

And all your arguments (mathematical or not) are certainly good but they also applied to the other event. So how can they achieve that ?

I'm glad you are happy with your inkjet prints. Maybe this is the answer to your other point, 'the other show can do it, so why not Collectormania/LFACC'.

Cutting costs and corners - By not having a professional photographer (sadly these days anyone with a camera thinks they are a photographer) just a guy who is happy to do it cos he's getting a buzz out of being close to celebs, you get what you pay for. By not having proper photographs and just inkjets or dye sub pics, most people are happy with that - fine. So you pay your £15, get a snap by a bloke with a camera printed on cheap inkJet stock. Sounds really 'professional' - but you get what you pay for dont you.

Just supposing the guest you REALLY wanted to have your photo with - you know.... THAT ONE. Well 'blokewithcamera.com' are doing the photoshoots, they are pinging the punters through at 3 a minute. You are hardly getting a chance to blink (so in the photo youve blinked). The pic comes back, it should be special, its not. It might be OK though - it might not, Like I said, you pay peanuts you get monkeys. Some of those monkeys are pretty clever, some though are just monkeys.

Too many reasons of why it can't be done, rather than looking at why it should be done.

1. It gives the celeb a break in their day when signing, which means they are likely to be able to sign faster when they return to their table, where as they often get headaches, hand cramp etc when signing all day at Showmasters events.

2. If there are no posed photos during the rest of the signings, celebs will also be able to get through more, but to get round people not being able to afford a professional photo, then have an area to the side , just for say the biggies, like a Carrie Fisher, James Marsters, Charisma etc where you can take a photo where the individual is signing but it does not disrupt the queue line.

Photos are realistically going to have to cost £20 each, and if you wanted it signed, you would have to pay another £20 on top to cover the costs of the photographer equipment etc

There wouldn't be any significant reduction in costs for the organiser though, as they would make the money from the photo sessions, and by having a no photos in the queue for the big stars they would get through more signings and also would have a break during the day which should help them keep refreshed when signing as well. Overall, more happy celebs, more happy attendees.

But you are looking at it from the side of the buyer, not the provider. So obviously your view will NOT be a view taking account of the economics of the situation.

Yes a guest might need a break during the day - so they take a break. They go the green room and chill out. If they are being moved from a signing area to a photo area, its not a 'break' and if as you say when they get back they are 'signing faster'......duh thats not good news for all those people on this forum who complain that their meeting with a guest was rushed with the guest hardly having a chance to interract with them.

Certainly your idea that to have a photo with a guest costs £x and to get that photo signed costs another £x would give the idea credence and econonic viability. As I understand it, some guests to do like to have a lot of photos taken FULLSTOP, and some just dont want all those flashes going off at them all day.

Personally speaking I remember a few Collectormanias ago one guest refused to have ANY Photos taken (even by ME) or used. The guest's reasoning being "I'm here to sign not to have my photo taken! " Seemed strange to me as this particular guest had been in the media spotlight for many many years.

I think either way - the SM events are some of the best ones Ive been to.

But it should always be considered that for quite alot of the fans - getting a photo with the guests is just as important as getting an autogrpah! In some cases - I would say it has been more important to me!

whether it be a specific photo session or having the photo taken by a steward - I like to have the photo with the star option.

Also - most events have an option where they will post the photos to you - this gives them more time to print them etc.....

Quite a few guests Ive spoken to at various events - said they enjoyed the photo opps eg Billy Boyd and Kate Mulgrew at an event in Blackpool.

i voted no because i'm always broke 'only' with autographs(plus travel plus hotel plus food that is total madness there in UK!So expensive u'd expect to eat well :-))...So i can't imagine having to pay for pics!(i'm coming from France...) Plus i went to the last two CM and got all the pics with celebs i wanted! EVEN miss C Fisher!(She speaks very well french btw) The only one i didn't get was J Marsters, that's all...The only thing to do is getting there as early as possible to have numbers around and under 100 AND be there on friday morning...Then u get all the pics you want!

If you only go on sat/sunday afternoon, don't expect NOTHING about pics....Do as i do: get ill starting thursday:-)

Cutting costs and corners - By not having a professional photographer (sadly these days anyone with a camera thinks they are a photographer) just a guy who is happy to do it cos he's getting a buzz out of being close to celebs, you get what you pay for. By not having proper photographs and just inkjets or dye sub pics, most people are happy with that - fine. So you pay your £15, get a snap by a bloke with a camera printed on cheap inkJet stock. Sounds really 'professional'  - but you get what you pay for dont you.

Just supposing the guest you REALLY wanted to have your photo with - you know.... THAT ONE. Well 'blokewithcamera.com' are doing the photoshoots, they are pinging the punters through at 3 a minute. You are hardly getting a chance to blink (so in the photo youve blinked). The pic comes back, it should be special, its not. It might be OK though - it might not, Like I said, you pay peanuts you get monkeys. Some of those monkeys are pretty clever, some though are just monkeys.

Like I said, I'm not a professional at all but I think it's not very difficult to take a picture of someone with a guest. And to correct you, if I blink or the picture is really not good, you can see it directly on the computer screen, so I had several times in the past the possibility to re-shoot immediately. Obviously this is not possible with all the guests, especially the big ones but with smaller guests, it was ! And even if indeed the picture turns out to be bad, I think it's the same *risk* as when you pay for an autograph of a big star and the star barely says hello, doesn't even look at you and puts a quick sig on your pic without personalisation. Is that worth 20 or 25 £ ? I don't think so but it's our choice after all ! And by paying for autographs, we take the same kind of risk.

Edited by lams9999

Like I said, I'm not a professional at all but I think it's not very difficult to take a picture of someone with a guest.  And to correct you, if I blink or the picture is really not good, you can see it directly on the computer screen, so I had several times in the past the possibility to re-shoot immediately.  Obviously this is not possible with all the guests, especially the big ones but with smaller guests, it was ! And even if indeed the picture turns out to be bad, I think it's the same *risk* as when you pay for an autograph of a big star and the star barely says hello, doesn't even look at you and puts a quick sig on your pic without personalisation.  Is that worth 20 or 25 £ ? I don't think so but it's our choice after all ! And by paying for autographs, we take the same kind of risk.

>>>Like I said, I'm not a professional at all but I think it's not very difficult to take a picture of someone with a guest<<<

No it's not - OK here's my camera...you are now a Professional photographer.

You see thats the problem, you naturally think,

EASY, #1 Guest #2 Fan, put them together, snap, photo - VOILA!

Well if you are paying ME (Remember I get paid for shooting good photos EACH AND EVERY TIME I PICK UP MY CAMERA) to take a GOOD photo of you.

>>>And to correct you, if I blink or the picture is really not good, you can see it directly on the computer screen<<<

Yes that is indeed the beauty of digital. The image can be checked and reshot. Thats also why a photographer will not just take one shot. The image can also be manipulated in post processing - but that ALL TAKES TIME. And time is not something you have a lot of if you have 100 people queued up to have their photo taken with celebrity guest and you have ONE HOUR ONLY to get them all in, posed, shot PERFECTLY.

If not, where's that Monkey?

Unfortunately with everyone now owning some kind of camera, it's all EASY. The times I'm told, " that photography lark, cor blimey mate, money for old rope"

There are a LOT of very disappointed people around who have put their faith in 'blokewithacamera.com' only to find the results, out of focus, poorly framed, too dark, too light or just plain crap. That goes for any kind of photography.

Yes, YOU are NOT a Professional - On the other hand I AM. I've just come back from shooting the CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY UK Premiere at Leicester Square. There were around 60 photographers working the Premiere. There were loads of people in the crowd with cameras. They are shooting for their own memories. If that pic of Johnny Depp 15 yards away from you is out of focus, someone's arm is in the way, a bit too dark etc - no matter you still have the memory. Same as your own photos you take of celebs at Conventions. They are - for you - fine.

But do you want PROFESSIONAL - or do you want snaps???

And yes, before you ask, I did get plenty of good photos from the Premiere and have just sent over 100 thru to the Photo Agency in London - as I will tomorrow for FANTASTIC FOUR. As I will on Tuesday when I'm booked for a day at a Convention Centre for a Corporate 'do'. No excuses - no 'oops my flash never worked' or 'oops, wasn't in the right position' or 'oops battery ran out', that is why I am a PROFESSIONAL and people pay me.

OK, subject (nearly) closed for me. I'm happy with what I get at other events. If you think it's crap pictures and/or I have no taste, you may be right but I simply don't care. The important thing is what SM will do or not. Many people (should I use the word customers?) would like to have official pictures with some guests. If they think it's not possible, fair enough. But at the same time, if they generalize too much the no posed picture rule (whatever it's their decision or it comes from the agent or the guest), they will finally loose their customers, especially if the prices for autographs keep on increasing.

And finally may I remind you that you said that the guy taking pics at another event is not a professional ? But I didn't see anyone complaining about the quality of their pictures.

Good, I'm finished now and won't talk about it again.

But you are looking at it from the side of the buyer, not the provider. So obviously your view will NOT be a view taking account of the economics of the situation.

Yes a guest might need a break during the day - so they take a break. They go the green room and chill out. If they are being moved from a signing area to a photo area, its not a 'break' and if as you say when they get back they are 'signing faster'......duh thats not good news for all those people on this forum who complain that their meeting with a guest was rushed with the guest hardly having a chance to interract with them.

Certainly your idea that to have a photo with a guest costs £x and to get that photo signed costs another £x would give the idea credence and econonic viability. As I understand it, some guests to do like to have a lot of photos taken FULLSTOP, and some just dont want all those flashes going off at them all day.

Personally speaking I remember a few Collectormanias ago one guest refused to have ANY Photos taken (even by ME) or used. The guest's reasoning being "I'm here to sign not to have my photo taken! " Seemed strange to me as this particular guest had been in the media spotlight for many many years.

The overall aim of the event is presumably to attract the maximum number of paying guests (so as to cover costs, and then make some profit), so if an attraction such as photo ops is likely to bring more people through the door then surely it should be considered.

As I suggested there may realistically have to be a separate cost for the photo shoot and then an additional cost for an auto, so I have tried to consider a more cost-effective option.

The break I intimated was one from actually signing, not having to squiggle their signature for an hour or so to give their hand a rest. Whilst they are still performing a function in the photo shoot, it is also a break , because it is a change of task and will over the day have a longer term beneficial affect.

The guest signing faster is overall of benefit to everyone on the forum, because they still get through the numbers and Showmaster still make the cash and don't lose out by having the photo shoot. If you ask the majority of people would they rather a signature or not meet the guest, I think the answer will be pretty clear.

If a guest doesn't want to have any photos taken then fine, as long as this is clearly advertised, even before on the web site, then at least everyone knows what they can expect.

I can understand that you may be concerned that you may yourself lose some business if there was a switch away from using a professional photographer, but personally I reckon that you probably more than earn your money, because in the photo shoot itself you are probably the one most likely to be standing for the whole day. Having said that I do wonder why some of the photographers at events in the U.K. don't use a tripod and sit down to take the photos during the photo shoots.

As long as there is some kind of photo opp for all the guests(including the larger ones) - eg: proffesional photo session or the option to have a photo taken with the guest(by a friend or SM helper) - I will be happy...

I can understand that you may be concerned that you may yourself lose some business if there was a switch away from using a professional photographer, but personally I reckon that you probably more than earn your money, because in the photo shoot itself you are probably the one most likely to be standing for the whole day. Having said that I do wonder why some of the photographers at events in the U.K. don't use a tripod and sit down to take the photos during the photo shoots.

No, that was not my point at all. I did NOT get involved in this thread for fear that I'd get ousted in any way.

I'm sure that if Jason decided he wanted to offer 'photoshoots with guests' that he would ask for my input, advice and possibly offer it to me. But I really could not care less about whether anyone else is brought in to do that side of things. That is a service which could be offered at a show. I merely put forward the explanation of how and why 'photoshoots' are not an every day occurence at a show. It mainly time and/or economics.

I strongly put over the point that you (the customer) cannot expect to be paying less for having a photo with a guest AND getting it signed, than if you were just queuing for an autograph, as it appeared some people were suggesting.

Still thats all for another day.

Yes that is indeed the beauty of digital. The image can be checked and reshot. Thats also why a photographer will not just take one shot. The image can also be manipulated in post processing - but that ALL TAKES TIME. And time is not something you have a lot of if you have 100 people queued up to have their photo taken with celebrity guest and you have ONE HOUR ONLY to get them all in, posed, shot PERFECTLY.

I know a professional (not your average 'bloke with a camera') photographer who works other events. Conventions, though, not shows. In one hour he has been known to take over 1000 photos of attendees with guests when he has been rushed (for the not so rushed photoshoots he takes his time.) This was on a normal, not digital, camera. He is good enough, as I believe all professional photographers should be, to be able to notice when an attendee blinks, the majority of the time - not all the time (no one would be able to do that), but around 98% of the time.

These photos, each, cost £10. All these photos are ready less than 24 hours later, and they are usually autographed free of charge too.

So, personally, I don't see why one hour per guest per day, or even per guest per event, could be devoted to having professional photos taken with the larger guests. I'm not saying it should be done exactly the same way, but they could be done on the Saturday and ready to pick up on the Sunday. If it's able to be done at other events, why not Showmasters?

I'm not really all that bothered, as I've never been denied a photo with a guest I've wanted a photo with (I was lucky enough to get a photo with, for example, James Marsters and Alexis Denisof at other events prior to Collectormania), but I think it'd be a good idea for those who don't already have photos with them. I know a lot of people, myself included, who value the photograph way above the autograph.

Jo

Edited by vampireslayer3

I vote no. Most of the bigger guests are already busy all day signing autographs none stop and even then not everyone gets an autograph. I know a few people who didn't get an autograph from James Marsters at C7 and he signed all day. If he'd stopped to do a photo session then even less fans would've got an autograph

I think if they did this then if u want to use your own camera then you wouldnt have to pay for the privelage or you make a small donation but if you want to have it professionally done then you pay and you can get it back at the end of the day

I am more than happy to have a photo taken of me and a guest(by a steward or friend).

I just hope that remains an option - because it is as important to some people as the autograph it self - if not more so!

No, that was not my point at all. I did NOT get involved in this thread for fear that I'd get ousted in any way.

I'm sure that if Jason decided he wanted to offer 'photoshoots with guests' that he would ask for my input, advice and possibly offer it to me. But I really could not care less about whether anyone else is brought in to do that side of things. That is a service which could be offered at a show. I merely put forward the explanation of how and why 'photoshoots' are not an every day occurence at a show. It mainly time and/or economics.

I strongly put over the point that you (the customer) cannot expect to be paying less for having a photo with a guest AND getting it signed, than if you were just queuing for an autograph, as it appeared some people were suggesting.

Still thats all for another day.

Fair enough.

I agree, it doesn't make sense to run the service if they are going to make less money overall, that is why I also suggested an additional amount to get the photo signed.

I am sure Showmasters have considered it anyway and for the moment don't want to pursue it, but I am sure that you do a good job, so they would consider you if they went ahead with it.

I agree that it would work for London but not MK. I think that photo sessions are good as a way to have something that you can take away from the con that is nice. The downside that fans then couldn't take photos when they are signing. You do need to get a good photographer. One way would be 'Character Photo sessions' where an actor is prepared to don the costume of their character and have photo sessions like that. Andy Hallet (as Lorn) has done that in the past at pervious other cons.

• 2 weeks later...

i think if a photoshoot is not an option the unless the guest specifies that he/she doesn't want it then you should be able to get a photo taken by your friend/steward.

From what i've seen the guests seem to have no bother getting through the 1000 although its probably not as many people as that when you people going just to take the bags etc. it the time so ad an hour for photo's i still think they could make it.