Keeping autographs protected

Depends on how precious you are about them. You can (as I do) buy a cheap plastic box from one of the photo stalls at the con or Frank's Autographs (who I highly recommend for long time storage of you autos and pics) who should also be there, have some carry pouches etc. that are all acid free and better for the pics but don't look as strong to me. Have a look around at the con is my best advise as there are a few more options.

Franks Autographs are awesome! They are really good and easy to use. (Just google Franks Autographs :) )

Ive ruined autographs on hard plastic ones, its hard to get the autographs in there and if you want to take them out they can get stuck and the autograph is ruined.

If you're just looking to protect your graphs whilst going round the con then there are small plastic boxes available from poundland that you can fit around 10/15 8x10s in and they clip shut. These are ideal for slipping in and out of a bag. I easily carry 2 of these in my bag that I have filled with my 8x10s I bring to the show to be signed.

For long-term storage then you need to invest in archival storage but there is really no need to go to a lot of expense for the couple of days you will be at the con.

• Like 1

Don't remember the archival polyester or the acid free boxes from Frank's Autographs being expensive - they are worth the money, regardless, as they do a good job of protecting your graphs. Some of my autographs look just as good as the day I bought them and some I've had for three years +. A lot of people prefer blue autographs, but black's my personal favourite - it seems to last the test of time, too. I put a couple of my autographs in acidic folders with covers and this was a mistake but thankfully, they were through the mail autographs and I didn't pay money for them. If you're interested in the long-term, Frank's Autographs is the way to go - polyester and acid free boxes equals a good combination, as does a darkened area of your room to make sure they're out of the light!

Cannot see on Frank's Autographs 8x10 sleeve size?

It's the Autograph Polyester Pockets. They are bigger than 8x10 (roughly A4) but they sell backing cards (grey boarder) and holder strips (parts that look like tape, but aren't, on the left and right of the 8x10) to mount them on. I strongly recommend going to their stall at the con and chatting with them about how to display them as they really do know their stuff. Heres an example of how I have mine stored:

IMG_0983.jpg

Edited by Wrong Name
  • Like 1

Don't remember the archival polyester or the acid free boxes from Frank's Autographs being expensive - they are worth the money, regardless, as they do a good job of protecting your graphs. Some of my autographs look just as good as the day I bought them and some I've had for three years +. A lot of people prefer blue autographs, but black's my personal favourite - it seems to last the test of time, too. I put a couple of my autographs in acidic folders with covers and this was a mistake but thankfully, they were through the mail autographs and I didn't pay money for them. If you're interested in the long-term, Frank's Autographs is the way to go - polyester and acid free boxes equals a good combination, as does a darkened area of your room to make sure they're out of the light!

Marky242 said "For long-term storage then you need to invest in archival storage but there is really no need to go to a lot of expense for the couple of days you will be at the con". I've taken that to mean that it's quite okay to buy something cheap and cheerful purely for the duration of the show but once you get home then invest in something of higher quality. Think of wearing a plastic bag on your head as opposed to using an umbrella - okay for short time but not fine for every occasion.

• Like 1

Exactly! Why spend a lot of money on something that will be in and out of your bag lots of times over the weekend and could get damaged? The plastic boxes I use cost a pound each and are perfect for short-term storage of multiple 8x10s. Back at home I use archival quality sleeves and card with normal 4-ring binders for permanent storage. I have over 1,000 autographs stored this way, some that are over 20 years old and they all still look as good as new.

Edited by Marky242
  • Like 1

Exactly! Why spend a lot of money on something that will be in and out of your bag lots of times over the weekend and could get damaged? The plastic boxes I use cost a pound each and are perfect for short-term storage of multiple 8x10s. Back at home I use archival quality sleeves and card with normal 4-ring binders for permanent storage. I have over 1,000 autographs stored this way, some that are over 20 years old and they all still look as good as new.

Marky242 do you have a picture of what these boxes look like from Poundland?

• Like 1

On the day, I have a black plastic concertina style folder, which has worked well for a number of years and particularly with sharpies that dry quick I've not had any problems with autos smudging or rubbing although I always wait a few seconds before I put in.

Once home I move the 10x8s photos into Ultra Pro Magazine Pockets and then hang them in trading card binders (stored like books) which relate to the autographs, e.g. Star Wars, Star Trek etc

I've been going to shows and collecting autos since the 1990s and the autos look as good today as when they were first signed.

I have a rigid A4 hinged plastic box. It's about 2cm high so it's perfect for me, not too big and it's not heavy. When I put freshly signed stuff in it I make sure that I carry it (in hand or bag) at a slight angle for a few mins so that the fresh auto isn't touching the top cover to ensure the ink is fully dried.

Unfortunately I can't post a link as I can not find it for sale anywhere - I looked recently to get one for a friend.

I do the same.

It's the Autograph Polyester Pockets. They are bigger than 8x10 (roughly A4) but they sell backing cards (grey boarder) and holder strips (parts that look like tape, but aren't, on the left and right of the 8x10) to mount them on. I strongly recommend going to their stall at the con and chatting with them about how to display them as they really do know their stuff. Heres an example of how I have mine stored:

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

Thanks for that. I have got my photos out of the Toploader sleeves now so will have a look into getting some of these.

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

Thanks for that. I have got my photos out of the Toploader sleeves now so will have a look into getting some of these.
No problem. I'm fairly new to collecting myself and it's down to the good people of this forum, and attendees of SM events that I've learnt what I have. It's a good place to be.
  • Like 1