would you be prepared to pay these prices to meet these guests ?

showmasters

thank you for helping us with this poll it will make a difference   

458 members have voted

1. 1. please pick one of these only if you would pay this amount for a auto

• Jean-Claude Van Damme £45
    • Chris Pine £55
    • Ian Holm £45
  2. 2. same again

• Dolph Lundgren £45
    • Christopher Eccleston £35
    • Karl Urban £55
  3. 3. same and thank you for helping us know your thoughts

• Sean Bean £40
    • Zachary Quinto £75
    • Orlando Bloom £65

Are people really so desperate to meet their favourite actors/actresses that they will give up common consumer sense?

People will place a different value on things than that of other people. Some may consider £40 for Sean Bean to be a fair value, some would think it's a definite bargin, and others would consider it to be too expensive.

I wouldn't consider anybody who is willing to pay more than myself for the same thing to be desperate, they just have a different opinion on it's value.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this poll and this thread are about your personal choice.

The poll question isnt 'do you think these are fair prices?'. Its whether you personally would pay those prices for those people. Thats it.

Some will, some wont. But those prices for those guests are just how it is right now. So you either pay, or you dont. Same with any price for a guest. Still comes down to how much you value that guest PERSONALLY and then whether you can afford them or not.

Would I pay some of those prices for those guests? No.

Would I want them to then not come at all instead and have other people who do want to meet them (at those or other prices) miss out? No.

Edited by BeatrixKiddo88

Some will, some wont. But those prices for those guests are just how it is right now. So you either pay, or you dont. Same with any price for a guest. Still comes down to how much you value that guest PERSONALLY and then whether you can afford them or not.

I wouldn't consider anybody who is willing to pay more than myself for the same thing to be desperate, they just have a different opinion on it's value.

Fair enough, but you DON'T tell the person you are buying from that you would be willing to pay more for that guest, where is the sense in that.

We don't have to blindly accept every price that is offered to us. We are the customer, we are the ones buying the product......

Edited by Farqhuarbeedlebum

Yeah, this poll and this thread are about your personal choice.

The poll question isnt 'do you think these are fair prices?'. Its whether you personally would pay those prices for those people. Thats it.

Nicely explained.

As nice as it might be, we all can't afford everything we might like. Personally I think some of the prices quoted are high but I might still consider paying if it was likely to be the only chance I had of meeting that person.

I'd happily pay the £55 quoted in the previous poll for Christopher Lee as I think that's a very reasonable price for someone of his stature. I thought Christopher Lambert was extremely reasonable at £35 but others complained at that. And there are people I'd pay considerably more for - Harrison Ford for example in terms of profile or Sarah Michelle Gellar in terms of rarity (and profile to a degree), and yes I appreciate neither of those is ever going to happen but to me it'd be worth paying a lot.

You can never please everyone and unfortunately there will be people who really want to meet a guest but can't afford to. In the past I've had to miss out on lots of people as I couldn't afford it. I have regrets certainly but now I'm in a better position and can afford a lot more but I still have my limits.

All Jason can do is present the options and it's up to the individual to decide if they go for it or not rather than just complain it's not fair etc. You do have the opportunity to save up or choose not to meet someone else.

If it helps, I voted for JCVD, Dolph and Orlando but certainly would be interested in meeting many of the others too, especially Ian Holm. I dont think they're all necessarily worth the quoted prices but if that's what it takes (these won't be just arbitary figures) then I'll consider it. That's all you can do.

Sean Bean and Christopher Eccleston are the two names that stood out for me and I'd happily pay both those quoted prices! Maybe even more for S. Bean if it meant securing him for an event.

Would like to meet Karl Urban but wouldn't pay £55 for him.

Fair enough, but you DON'T tell the person you are buying from that you would be willing to pay more for that guest, where is the sense in that.

I guess some people think it's more safe to do that.

Maybe just in case guest X's price rises because girlfriend wants to go shopping in London or guest Y's boyfriend wants to see a Chelsea game and the agent asks for an extra plane ticket or whatever could generate more costs. :P

• Moderators

Exactly. There are certain guests that I have paid £15-20 for, and I would've paid £25+ for if I had to. There's absolutely no harm in that.

There will always be times where things have to go up, and manufacturers/organisers/whoever need to know whether the product will still sell.

Jason isn't going to put prices up just because 1 person said they'd pay more, so I'm not sure what the panic is.

That seems to me an unfair reply, the poster is clearly saying that they like this person. If anything, Showmasters have got a really good deal and that they were expecting more.

First complaining that a guest is too high, now complaining that another attendee thinks the price for a different guest is really good and maybe lower than expected, what price is it that will please you?

If the poster was clearly saying they like this person then why didn't they say so ..... instead of saying please charge me more to meet this guest? Seriously would you go into a shop pick up a paper go to the counter and tell the newsagent "Hey you know what I'd happily pay twice the price you're charging me." No, of course not.

Why wouldn't you? Do you think the shop will go back to the newspaper and say that one person has recommended you increase the price you have printed on the front of the paper for the whole country? They are saying they are happy with the price quoted and no matter what people say in here, the guest isn't going to magically want less or decide to stay at a Travelodge at a discount rate to please a few people. The prices we have been given are what SM will offer us, they don't want a heated debate, they just want to know a simple yes/no and a small explanation. To the people that have said double, SM can simply say that the attendee might buy 2 or more, which helps them, moaning about a price from someone that won't buy any, doesn't.

JCVD, Dolph Lundgren and Sean Bean for me. Although Ian Holm would also be good. These men warrant legendary status and have been around for years.

Chris Pine and Zach Quinto are still babies in terms of Hollywood mileage and don't even compare to the above guys.

Freedom of speech and all that.

I voted for Lundgren over Ecclestone but I'm not going to get into a heated debate about Ecclestone winning on the poll. I think the poll idea is fantastic and for business reasons gives a clear view of who the fans really want to see. I say keep it up.

Unfortunately Harrison Ford would almost certainly be a lot more than £75 :uhoh: At first glance I looked down the list and thought no way to essentially the whole list, apart from Christopher Eccleston, which I would definitely go for. However, following some consideration I honestly reckon I'd go for Zachary Quinto too, even at £75, I mean it's Spock AND Sylar for goodness sake! Hoping this means another fantastic guest for October, though I'd like to re-raise Stan Lee from the LFCC poll, he did well in the results if I recall, and he is definitely somebody I'd pay to get multiple things signed by!

Would only probably pay that much for Harrison Ford! :wub:

Seconded!

Personally I'd expect someone of his stature to be considerably over £100 if he were to ever do an event like this. Maybe even closer to £200, who knows what it would need to be to cover costs?

But from the list given I'd probably pay some of those prices, maybe not all though you never know when it comes down to it on the day.

Edited by Rockstar6662

Would only probably pay that much for Harrison Ford! :wub:

Seconded!

Personally I'd expect someone of his stature to be considerably over £100 if he were to ever do an event like this. Maybe even closer to �200, who knows what it would need to be to cover costs?

I think his prices for the last mail in signing he did was $500, for that you simply got a signature, no personalisations, no quotes, no character names and you could only choose from a couple of different images so Lord alone knows what sort of price it would take to persuade him to get into direct contact with the great unwashed!

I think his prices for the last mail in signing he did was $500, for that you simply got a signature, no personalisations, no quotes, no character names and you could only choose from a couple of different images so Lord alone knows what sort of price it would take to persuade him to get into direct contact with the great unwashed!

If he wanted to sit in his hotel room and have things taken into him, I'd pay that. Once. But I'd want a photo of my item being signed.

But bearing in mind people camp out for hours at premieres for an autograph he has no problem dealing with us commoners!

I do find it difficult to understand how certain guests can charge an astronomical price such as these quoted. Whereas on the other hand, we have John Hurt attending who has been in many well known films and is a huge name in the industry, yet he only charges £20. Not that I am complaining because I can't wait to meet John and at that price, it is a true bargain; especially when you take into consideration these prices.

I fail to see the logic sometimes.

Edited by ClockworkOwen18

tried to vote - but computer say's 'no'.

Seconded - perhaps it will only let me do it if I vote in each section.

Also for the record - Sean Bean, £40 - yes!

Chris Pine, Karl Urban, Zachary Quinto and Orlando Bloom, I would be very interested in but would have to do a long hard think at these prices. I've got a finite amount of cash, so the other guests I wanted to meet may affect my choice. Would also have to decide between a photo and an auto...

I know its been raised before, and has the potential to be a logistical nightmare (as an administrator, I appreciate this!) but I will mention that the chance to get a photo and an auto for this price would definately serve to tempt me more. I don't mean a professional one (which I would expect to pay more for), but if there were any way ensuring that an over-the-desk piccy with the guest could be taken when getting an auto (perhaps through a cunning set up of L-shaped tables) I would probably be willing to pay this for some of the guests above. Just my two pence...

Thanks SM

Echo :D