Big Brother is not something we will be having attend at our event

I am SO relieved to hear this!! Big Brother and Daily Star ruined it for so many cosplayers. There are many complaints going into both companies now and I;m glad showmasters have made the right decision!!

So thank you for putting piece of mind to many of us cosplayers and fans of your event!

Edited by 1of2

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's great you didn't just react out of hand and gave it a bit of thought before saying no.

While I've seen some sensible reports about your events in the past, this is certainly not the kind of interest you want to attract. Good call.

Just adding my thanks and appreciation for this.

I JUST heard about this on facebook and was very happy to see the group owner had promoted this post from SM as somewhere better to spend your money and time.

The newspaper article about the other event was just so badly slanted to make it sound like people turned up there in costume JUST to audition for Big Brother, that's a big ol' wtf? to start with, let alone the way they presented cosplayers.

It's very reassuring to know that press at your events will only ever be (in as much as you can police it) welcome representations.

:D

Nice one!!! Pure and simple. We dont need the "Sun/Star/Mirror reading" brigade pointing at us and laughing.

Im in the RAF and people I work with do (or used to) give me a bit of stick for my horror love. "Whens your next geek fest, Max?" "Next week, mate!! Its gonna be great, you should go!!", but no-one can deny that I am myself!!! I dont give a f*ck!!! I love conventions!!!!!!!

Nice one!!! Pure and simple. We dont need the "Sun/Star/Mirror reading" brigade pointing at us and laughing.

Im in the RAF and people I work with do (or used to) give me a bit of stick for my horror love. "Whens your next geek fest, Max?" "Next week, mate!! Its gonna be great, you should go!!", but no-one can deny that I am myself!!! I dont give a f*ck!!! I love conventions!!!!!!!

Well said. I work for the Police (office based, not uniform) and get enough stick from people and friends about going to these things as it is (pretty good humoured though it has to be said). I've dragged my brother to a few and at first he was surprised at how not-geeky it actually was and has really enjoyed going and I'm slowly trying to convince some other friends to go so we certainly don't need more coverage dumbing it down and poking fun.

If nothing else it gets people out meeting other people, sharing their interest and not just sat in front of the TV all day. Got to be good, right?

I wholeheartedly support showmasters stance on this.

Edited by Rockstar6662

LOL I read The Sun and The Star LOL Infact If I'm honest I discovered my first Con back in 2008 thanks to an advertisement in one of those papers for LFCC 2008 and now i've become a regular attendee of showmaster events.

Wow, I knew nothing about any of this.

Thanks for not letting them in Jason.

I think we all know who is weird in this scenario!

I often think as I sit watching the con dancing (I am NOT good at dancing) at the 3 day events how wonderful the whole con thing is; - we all (on the whole) get on, and EVERYONE is accepted. We all have a great time.

People at work/home just don't get it, they seem to think con-goers are a different species or something!!

It's such a shame because they are totally missing out!!

More fool them I say.

Maxine

This is why I love you guys and your cons. You actually care about your attendees. You set decent prices, make sure we get to do every guest we want, eliminate pointless day long queuing and love and respect us :)

This love and respect creates the fun community that we have at these cons. Familiar faces are greeted with hugs and smiles event after event. Here we are the cool kids and nothing will try to squish that due to you guys ensuring that. Thank you :YAHOO:

Event after event, theatre trip after theatre trip, stage door after stage door, Barrowman concert after Barrowman concert and fan meet-up after fan meet-up ;)

Seriously, though, everyone I've met online and then in person since I started "meeting people from the Internet" in 2007 really has mostly been due to Doctor Who coming back from the dead. I love coming to SM/ME shows, and always have a great time. We do spend a very long time and sometimes a lot of money on our costumes; thank you for looking after us in this and other ways :D

Edited by laurab1

All I can say to this is I have incredible respect now for Showmasters for this.

There was a VERY prominent singer of which I'm a fan of, I admired his music, his choreography etc. Thats where it was all about for me I went to events and people who either dressed up as this singer or otherwise would be ridiculed or made to look nuts so am fully aware of what the media is like and how they can make things bend to their way of thinking and thus get in the dollars.

Anyways I'll get off me soapbox now :)

Whilst personally I've never cosplayed (I don't have the time nor dedication!) I would never judge others for doing so.

My wee sister goes to the "other event" and does cosplay so to know someone could be ridiculing her for that riles the hell outta me - good call SM.

If anyone from them/somewhere else tries to get in?

*cue imperial march and stern look*

If you see anyone who you think may be filming covertly (or trying to sign people up for Big Brother), tell a crew member immediately. The best ones to tell are the pit bosses (they're the ones in the red t-shirts) and they'll take the appropriate action.

If you see anyone who you think may be filming covertly (or trying to sign people up for Big Brother), tell a crew member immediately. The best ones to tell are the pit bosses (they're the ones in the red t-shirts) and they'll take the appropriate action.

Yes, tell the Pit Bosses or even better let the Organisers Booth team know.

Whilst personally I've never cosplayed (I don't have the time nor dedication!) I would never judge others for doing so.

My wee sister goes to the "other event" and does cosplay so to know someone could be ridiculing her for that riles the hell outta me - good call SM.

^^ This

I lack the creativity, the confidence, and the finance to cosplay which is why I fully appreciate and support those who do.

I like the way Showmaster continues to encourage creative cosplaying by preventing the media attending and adding their negative spin to their production.

So keep on cosplaying cosplayers and, again, thank Showmaster for their dedication to support this creative activity.

Yes, tell the Pit Bosses or even better let the Organisers Booth team know.

Hopefully with legal implication (as a deterrent to those even entertaining the thought of doing this just for a milisecond)?

Completely agree.

The tabloid press only cares about is selling papers and not a thing else. And I will be damned if I let on of the best things in my life be ruined by a group of monsters standing and gawking because they're too ignorant to see this for what it really is.