latest guest announcement - KAREN GILLAN

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so here's my dilemma - I'm at a friends wedding in the afternoon - I can probably skip the ceremony bit and I'm deejaying the reception. Have I got enough time to get from Reading to London get a photo with Karen then get back again before anyone realises I'm missing??

What mode of transport are you using between Reading and London? Plus I suppose where in Reading is another consideration.

Okay so here's my dilemma - I'm at a friends wedding in the afternoon - I can probably skip the ceremony bit and I'm deejaying the reception. Have I got enough time to get from Reading to London get a photo with Karen then get back again before anyone realises I'm missing??

What mode of transport are you using between Reading and London? Plus I suppose where in Reading is another consideration.

This can't be planned until the times for photoshoots are known.

Reading to Paddington - 30 minutes (train)

Paddington to Earls Court - 30 minutes (source www.tfl.gov.uk)

Queue at photoshoot - probably 30 minutes

So if they can miss you for 3 hours, it's achievable...

Edited by Not_Pennys_Ship

Thanks everyone for your help - I was guessing morning shoot too and I know I can get the pic sent out. Might be quicker for me to drive to EC and back - forgot about the time it takes to get across London. It's definately do able and I'm sure my friends would understand!!!

• Moderators

Firstly thank you to everyone who let me know about this while i'm out in Orlando.

And secondly it's very difficult and disappointing to have to read so much rubbish in this topic. Too many of you almost killed my excitement with selfishness, but hey it's been the same for years. Let's just respect the brilliant job Showmasters have done with this guest .. And yes, I would even if I didn't love her to pieces! The main companion in the biggest scifi show on TV and (one of) the most successful in history? This is a huge coup.

And all the 'well I could meet her at..' stuff is irrelevant too. To have the chance for a guaranteed photo and auto, in comfort, and on practically whatever you want is a fantastic opportunity for a huge fan base.

Well done Showmasters. It's guests like these that keep these events as the best, and I say that as a true fan.

And all the 'well I could meet her at..' stuff is irrelevant too. To have the chance for a guaranteed photo and auto, in comfort, and on practically whatever you want is a fantastic opportunity for a huge fan base.

Well done Showmasters. It's guests like these that keep these events as the best, and I say that as a true fan.

This. That is one of two big reasons I dont do premiers/stage doors/other things no matter who they are. To have a ticket in my hand saying I WILL get a photo with a guest is one of the greatest things ever and I thank SM time and again for the oppertunity.

These events are so amazing for us fans I cant even describe it hehe And once again SM nabbed one of my dream guests with Karen. :unsure:

Well i for one im bloody impressed for such a big guest. Having had the pleasure to have already met her (albeit briefly) at a dvd signing event last November it will be most welcome . And i will be able to get my 10x8 photos signed at last as there was a very tight restriction to what you could get signed. So for anyone out there who is miffed and dissapointed at Miss Gillan attending this show just remember that you cant please everybody all the time. When a guest is announced from something i am not a fan of or dont follow i dont go off and do one. I think "oh well thats saved me a few quid" almost with a sense of relief. If Miss Gillan is reading these posts i hope it will not put her off from attending as i am really looking forward to meeting her :unsure: and a few other FANS are as well no doubt. Being adult and sensible about this will be more beneficial for everyone concerned,OK so Karen has been announced now for this show then maybe later on someone from Twilight or Stargate will be announced, great bring it on lets all have a great time at these shows and enjoy it for whats its really all about. "If its stopped being fun give it up" PS i chose Twilight and Stargate as just two random programmes that i do not follow just thought id say that to avoid a bitter backlash from the fans. Looking forward to the LFCC this year as i always do and long may it continue unless other people out there have other ideas.

It's true that the planning can't be done until you know what time you're aiming at.

Some trains are scheduled 30 minutes Reading to Paddington, but not all. And even the ones that are scheduled as that aren't always that fast in my experience; most of the fast ones I've been on in the last 18 months have usually been nearer 35 minutes. Paddington to Earls Court might be slightly quicker than half an hour, but I don't know what the frequency of that bit of the District line is - every 10 minutes?

And if they slip in some late-arranged engineering works...

Plus you have the joys of getting to and from the station at the Reading end; not necessarily easy at the best of times, but they've just started major work there and apparently it hasn't done wonders for the surrounding traffic system.

Think you may be looking at nearer 4 hours.

That said, if it's a morning photoshoot or lunchtime photoshoot, you should be back by mid-afternoon - presumably before you'd be required to DJ?

Thanks everyone for your help - I was guessing morning shoot too and I know I can get the pic sent out. Might be quicker for me to drive to EC and back - forgot about the time it takes to get across London. It's definately do able and I'm sure my friends would understand!!!

Depending on where you are starting and finishing from in Reading, it could take you as long as half an hour to get onto the M4, or as short as about 2 minutes. Probably 15 minutes is a reasonable estimate.

There was a 50mph average limit section between Jn10 and Jn6 a couple of weeks ago - haven't driven it since, and no idea whether it will be there then, but there's always a possibility that speed will be limited on some stretch for roadworks. Also remember that once you get to the Heathrow turnoffs (Jn4b) the limit drops to 60, and once you get to the elevated section (about 3.5 miles east of Jn3) the limit drops to 40 from there until you get to central London. (Not saying that the speed limit is necessarily strictly observed by all, but there is a general slowing - especially before the Gatso just before the elevated section!). Assuming reasonable traffic all the way you should be at EC 45-60 minutes after joining the motorway (dependant in part where on the motorway you join - there are 3 junctions for Reading). It would be a good idea to have established somewhere to park at EC beforehand, because cruising around looking for spare on-street parking is no fun when you're up against a deadline.

Just watched the new episode and OMG I can't wait to meet Karen :lol:

Sat and watched it this morning with my 7 and 4 yr old!

Awsome as my 7 yr old would say!

Bring her on! ;)

My wife's even said i can have a photo on top of my one with Mr Lloyd for my 40th birthday present, Showmasters your great!

:lol::D:lol:

Can I just say how AWESOME it is to come back from Holiday to find this announcement... Warms me right up, since it's bloody freezing here. (Okay, so 18degrees isn't exactly freezing, but compared to the 30 degree mediterranean heat on the cruise, it feels flipping chilly!!)

It's true that the planning can't be done until you know what time you're aiming at.

Some trains are scheduled 30 minutes Reading to Paddington, but not all. And even the ones that are scheduled as that aren't always that fast in my experience; most of the fast ones I've been on in the last 18 months have usually been nearer 35 minutes. Paddington to Earls Court might be slightly quicker than half an hour, but I don't know what the frequency of that bit of the District line is - every 10 minutes?

And if they slip in some late-arranged engineering works...

Plus you have the joys of getting to and from the station at the Reading end; not necessarily easy at the best of times, but they've just started major work there and apparently it hasn't done wonders for the surrounding traffic system.

Think you may be looking at nearer 4 hours.

That said, if it's a morning photoshoot or lunchtime photoshoot, you should be back by mid-afternoon - presumably before you'd be required to DJ?

Depending on where you are starting and finishing from in Reading, it could take you as long as half an hour to get onto the M4, or as short as about 2 minutes. Probably 15 minutes is a reasonable estimate.

There was a 50mph average limit section between Jn10 and Jn6 a couple of weeks ago - haven't driven it since, and no idea whether it will be there then, but there's always a possibility that speed will be limited on some stretch for roadworks. Also remember that once you get to the Heathrow turnoffs (Jn4b) the limit drops to 60, and once you get to the elevated section (about 3.5 miles east of Jn3) the limit drops to 40 from there until you get to central London. (Not saying that the speed limit is necessarily strictly observed by all, but there is a general slowing - especially before the Gatso just before the elevated section!). Assuming reasonable traffic all the way you should be at EC 45-60 minutes after joining the motorway (dependant in part where on the motorway you join - there are 3 junctions for Reading). It would be a good idea to have established somewhere to park at EC beforehand, because cruising around looking for spare on-street parking is no fun when you're up against a deadline.

Thanks for this Tommy. Planning to get there early doors so hopefully won't be too bad traffic wise. I know the area reasonably well so parking should be okay. The wedding is in Reading but might be staying in Basingstoke so will come straight down M3 - might be quicker that way too.

after my thursday post was removed and i honestly didn't think i'd said anything bad :whistling:

i would just like to say i have just watched series 5 and am up to date on 6 and would like to throw in a big

SQUEEEEEEEEEE to meeting karen

:huh:

after my thursday post was removed and i honestly didn't think i'd said anything bad :huh:

i would just like to say i have just watched series 5 and am up to date on 6 and would like to throw in a big

SQUEEEEEEEEEE to meeting karen

:wub:

:whistling:

Is Karen's talk likely to be in the afternoon?

I would say so, yes. Talks normally don't start after standard opening anyway, so the time slot for morning talks is rather small in general.

Thank-you! Won't be in London until the afternoon and was worried I would probably miss it.

If they're not sold out, they'll certainly be available next week online.

How fast are they selling? Beginning to panic D:

Going from the amount of "photoshoot booked" posts they're selling quite well. But normally we get a warning when the numbers get low. So no reason to be concerned yet.

Wish my friend Dave Bright would go to this event, he is the closest to a look a like of Matt Smith I have ever seen, would be great to see him up against Karen.

Don't collect Dr Who autographs myself but a great guest none the less, the best assistant so far I think (out of the ones who played along side Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, and now Matt Smith)

Glad too see so many happy people posting.

:P

LLAP ;)

To have the chance for a guaranteed photo and auto, in comfort,

Judging by experience of the 'big star' photoshoots at LondonF&CC 'comfort' is not the first thing that springs to mind!!

It will be hot, crowded and a long wait (unless you are lucky enough to be gold). That said, it's agreat feeling once you reach the front it's all worth it as your moment with the star arrives!!!