High autograph prices

I do disagree with the term 'whiners' and 'moners' being used at all. This isn't for anyone to insult anyone else. This is purely and simply a case of 'if we got the bigger guests at the event, but they were more expensive, would you meet them'

Clearly people will, and clearly some people wouldnt be able to afford it. But the people that can't afford it(and I do sympathise, really, there would be times when I couldnt afford it) really don't have any reason to complain about it. It's either SM get the big guest, or they don't. If they don't, then you'll never meet them, if they do and they're expensive, then at least you'll be given the opportunity of meeting them. If you can't afford it then it's down to you and your circumstances. Other people shouldn't lose out. If it's someone I couldn't afford, i'd still prefer they get them anyway and I have a choice to save up if I feel it's worth it

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say this one more time then give up ... :-)

I am NOT complaining about the £75 price tag. :-)

I am complaining about the attitude and arguments that some are displaying in this thread. The mentality seems to be "I'm alright so sod the rest". THAT is what I'm complaining about, not the prices.

• Moderators

I am complaining about the attitude and arguments that some are displaying in this thread. The mentality seems to be "I'm alright so sod the rest". THAT is what I'm complaining about, not the prices.

I honestly don't think anyone is trying to be harsh on those that can't afford it, but simply being realistic about the situation i.e. there's no way that everyone can be happy and get what they want.

That's life really isn't it? I can't afford a big house or to go on holiday all the time, while others sail around on cruise boats until they go back to their mansions. It's just the way things go.

I have a decent living compared to a lot of people too. £50 would go a long way for the local Big Issue seller but as much as I sympathise with circumstances, I'm not going to stop doing what I'm able to do if it's what I choose to do. So I guess my caring only goes so far, and if that makes my attitude bad then that's unfortunate.

I honestly don't think anyone is trying to be harsh on those that can't afford it, but simply being realistic about the situation i.e. there's no way that everyone can be happy and get what they want.

That's life really isn't it? I can't afford a big house or to go on holiday all the time, while others sail around on cruise boats until they go back to their mansions. It's just the way things go.

I have a decent living compared to a lot of people too. £50 would go a long way for the local Big Issue seller but as much as I sympathise with circumstances, I'm not going to stop doing what I'm able to do if it's what I choose to do. So I guess my caring only goes so far, and if that makes my attitude bad then that's unfortunate.

You're still missing my point, dude. :-)

(I know I said I wasn't going to try again but sod it *lol*)

If you had just had a gourmet meal at the Savoy would you go outside to a tramp and tell him to stop whining? Or to get a paper round?

I hope you wouldn't.

So when it comes to those who see the £75 price tag and are frustrated and/or disappointed, is it OK to tell them to stop whining? After all, you're getting what you want so they should shut up?

I'm not complaining at the price tag. I am not asking people to not pay it just because I can't.

I'm complaining at the way people are expressing themselves in this thread.

Now if someone wants to pick up on what I'm actually saying, then great I'll reply again. Otherwise, I really am out this time.

• Moderators

I'm complaining at the way people are expressing themselves in this thread.

Now if someone wants to pick up on what I'm actually saying, then great I'll reply again. Otherwise, I really am out this time.

Honestly I got your point completely - hence me saying I don't think people are trying to 'express themselves' in the way you're saying.

It's just a discussion about the pros/cons of these higher prices. Of course you're going to get opposing views. I think it's one of the better discussions we've had on here though, and far less 'quit your whining' than usual.

I would like to add a view of a person from the East of Europe who lives in a post-communistic country.

On one hand, I understand and respect the need for higher prices for the A-list names. It is only natural. And I am quite sure that Mike Tyson for 75 GBP is a great bargain for many of you.

On the other hand, the price for me personally is just too high. I am spending 280 GBP just for the trip to London and accommodation. Another 250 GBP at LFCC for photoshoots and autographs (Shatner, Frakes, Browder, Sackhoff - yeah, it's my first time). That totals 530 GBP which is about 16 000 CZK. That is an average monthly wage in the Czech Republic. A lot of people earn a lot less.

I'm not whining (if I were, I'd say I'm a student and 16000 CZK is money for 3 months for me), I just wish to point out that given the situation of finances and socienty in my country, 75 GBP for Mike Tyson is simply too much, no matter how much I would like his autograph. Here, I can get 10 great meals (and 20 normal meals) for that price. Or a new cellphone. Or a slightly used LCD monitor.

Just my 2c

Edited by LucasCZ

hence me saying I don't think people are trying to 'express themselves' in the way you're saying.

I'm definitely going to have to disagree with you on that one.

I could go through the thread and pick out loads of examples but I don't want to single anyone out.

I also see your point as well. I wouldn't tell people to quit whining or say 'well i can afford it so it's too bad for you'. But the fact is for some guests it's either 'pay a high price to meet them or we don't give you the chance to meet them'

You mention about going for a high class meal and seeing a tramp out on the street. The way I see it is if the high class resturant is there, then it is available for anyone to use, if the tramp finds a way to get money then he's welcome! But if there are no resturants anywhere to be seen then not even the richest of people would win out!

Edited by JacknDaniel

• Moderators

To be honest, at least the way I have interpreted posts on this thread, there's been almost NO 'stop whining that you can't afford it, I can so shut up' attitude. I've seen it in past threads on a similar vein, but this one has all - again I stress this might just be the way I'm reading it - been more along the lines of 'If it's someone I really want, I will try to afford it if I can. And I might not be able to always, but I want the chance to try.'

We all have a point where something is just going to become unaffordable. Yes some reach this limit at a higher point than others, but most of the people on the forum aren't exactly rolling in it. Most of us are sacrificing other things to feed our autograph/photoshoot collecting habit.

But the fact is for some guests it's either 'pay a high price to meet them or we don't give you the chance to meet them'

Exactly the way i see it. I'd rather have the opportunity to meet these people, albeit, at a higher price than not be offered the chance at all

It's then for me to decide if i can afford to fund my hobby to that extent, or have to pass on a particular occasion

Mike Tyson doesn't appeal to me, but I'm not an idiot and so can see that he is a huge guest for Showmasters to secure. And to me it's a huge step forward, because it shows that Showmasters are willing to take a leap and book a guest who is that bit more expensive and out of reach.

I'm not rolling in money or anywhere near it (I work in the mortgage industry, so you can imagine how well I'm doing right now :lol: ) but for the right person I would do all I could to put the money aside. And if SM managed to book someone I desperately wanted to meet and I didn't have the money, I would be gutted, but there would be no hard feelings towards SM. I can't afford a Kelly bag, but I don't expect Hermes to stop making them just to avoid upsetting us poor people.

To be able to pay £25 or £50 or £75 over to meet and greet a hero of yours in a warm dry building, and walk away with an autograph seems pretty good value to me. If someone had told me at the Twilight premiere when I had lost the feeling in my feet and still had another 6 hours to wait that I could be guaranteed an autograph right there for £50 or whatever, I would have gladly parted with the money.

I don't smoke or do drugs, or even drink that much (often), so events like this are my vice.

look boys and girls if you want big guests what do you expect just like paul stanley says about their meet and greet package for example its like having a business class/first class ticket by getting all the cool things for the expensive price. I know its a hard time for people but if you really want an expensive auto you will buy it if you complain about the price dont bother. I hope showmasters will get other expensive guests as like meet johnny depp for example never going to happen I would pay the asking price because it would probably be a rare signing.

I'm very wealthy and spend my evenings basting myself senseless in liquified £50 notes.

That said of course I would never laugh at a tramp when leaving a high class restaurant (how awful that some people consider the Savoy high class, it's practically a McDonalds these days), I usually just get one of my servants to laugh at tramps for me.

I recently had a discussion with someone on Youtube about the whole issue of paying for autographs. The guy I was talking to confessed that he tries to get the guests to sign autographs while they're away from the signing area, as he believes "no guest is worth paying for". I pointed out how selfish this was, because the vast majority of us pay for the guests, and without the money taken for the autographs, these conventions wouldn't happen. He countered by saying that he doesn't even need to go to the conventions because he gets people at stage door signings and premieres.

Now, I'm partial to a stage door signing whenever the opportunity arises, but by and large my experiences there don't match with the experiences I've had at conventions over the years. At a convention you get to meet and hang out with fellow fans, you get great photo opportunities (still reeling from the J.G. Hertzler and Robert O'Reilly photoshoot!) and you get an all around great weekend or day out. If we didn't pay for autographs, these conventions wouldn't happen, and we can't all get to London on a regular basis to hang out in the West End (this was the point that finally shut this jerk up).

Autographs prices are what they are. You either pay it or not. You wouldn't get away with going into a shop and offering only to pay what you believe to be 'reasonable', so it won't work at a convention either. I save up and work hard to pay for the autographs I get just like everyone else. A little forward planning and I manage to put aside enough money for each one.

There, I've had my little rant.

the queues would be VERY BIG if you get Harrison Ford or Sigourney Weaver or Tom Welling

Something seems not quite right in that senetence.:lol:

Lol - yes one of those names seems a little out of place in that list!

Reading through the posts in this topic, the top guests everybody would pay good money for are:

Kurt Russell

Harrison Ford

Mark Hamill

These are the same 3 names that always pop-up in these "how much would you pay for a guest" threads. I think it's cos those threads are usually started by Mike Donovan...or he likes to post in them alot.

I must admit I do bang on about Ford a lot. But Hamill isn't me - wouldn't be that fussed about him to be honest!

Jason, Go For It!!!!!

Get us a really BIG name for CML in November. Sure, you won't please everyone but I'm sure it'll attract enough people, especially being in London. Take Showmasters to the next level; make the CM's THE place to be.

It's been a while since I've been excited by a CM or LFCC (probably been to too many!!) but with my 40th birthday coming in early December, perhaps this is the one. (yeah, I know, very selfish!!; sorry!!! :lol: )

A lot of people's arguments are boiling down to "well I can afford it so fine by me", which is a selfish attitude. That's what I'm objecting to.

I don't think you're getting the central point. As has been said elsewhere in this thread, if you walk into a car dealership with £500 you are not getting a Ferrari, you're getting a 12 year old Ford Focus. Simples. No-one is saying this is fair, or equitable. But we live in a capitalist system, where the open market determines the price for a given item. It really is as simple as that. No-one on this forum made that system (although some are more qualified to comment on it than others). And Kevin Costner is not coming over unless he gets paid a decent amount, and to recoup that amount, SM will have to charge a much higher fee.

Again, simples.

Those of us in relatively highly paid professions, or alternatively members of the aristocracy such as Count Fooku, would love for everyone to be able to afford £100. But you can't, and that's not our fault. Each person has their income and their outgoings, and they manage them. If you want more, you either grow your income or cut your outgoings. I don't want to moralize, but you really can't start saying "you can't have Kevin Costner as a guest because he would charge £100 and I can't afford it".

I'm very sorry that, to quote someone else on this thread, some people are "living on pasta and bread". I'd prefer it were otherwise. However, as I've said before, if money is really that tight, maybe autograph collecting isn't a wise investment of what disposable income you do have...

Edited by MikeDonovan

I'm not an autograph collector..so no, the higher priced guests for me aren't great. I come for certain people and for people from certain films/shows.

There ARE a select few I would pay a high price for but they're not the same kinds of people others would pay a high price for.

That said, bring em on..if I can't afford them/don't want them that doesn't mean that other people can't enjoy them.

Wow. Some people are STILL completely missing my point.

You've said earlier that your issue is that people are being haughty and saying "it's not my problem, we can afford it" etc. I'm saying it's not haughtiness; it's just the simple fact of the matter. As I say, I would rather live in a world where everyone had everything they wanted, but we don't.

It's my personal view that people in general have got a little too used to paying practically nothing for things that really should be more costly - a box of eggs for 50p? A flight to Italy for a tenner? I am quite willing to pay £2 for a box of eggs, because I want quality eggs. I'd like you to have quality eggs too, but if you can't (or won't) afford them I don't expect to have to give them up myself.

Edited by MikeDonovan

This whole thread is a bit weird to me, this is a hobby requiring discretionary income and like all hobbies it can be expensive to get rarer/bigger/better "things".

Discussion of any sort about cost is moot, if you have the income to get a Mike Tyson (and you want to) go get it, if you don't or can't by all means continue with your hobby by getting someone less expensive but is there really any need for a debate?

If there is an attitude of "sod the rest" it may be because "the rest" have been a very vocal minority in the past who, through their remarks, have put doubt into the mind of the event organisers that there is a market for larger guests and therefore have prevented the pursuit of larger more expensive guests

darn.... spent too much time re-editing post to be nicer and Mike said pretty much the same thing.

Totally agree with him though.

btw my original post just said .... this is a hobby is you can't afford it don't do it

You do realise you're one of these fans that pay-out for autos, right? So who's the bigger fool, the fans that pay or the 'stars' that charge?

I don't so I'm no "fool"

I agree with many of the comments here and did in all honesty over look the issue of covering expenses rather then just profiteering although its safe to say they wouldn't be staying in a travel lodge lol! :YAHOO:

I suppose some of what I referring to was more then the subject of charging a lot for signatures more their attitudes towards fans as a whole... many have been so nice and willing to chat have a pic or two etc. but some have been damn right rude and an almost don't want to be here feeling to them.

I wasn't trying to imply it was profiteering from showmasters point of view either...