High autograph prices

• Moderators

Sports guests tend to have higher prices for related sporting items as there's a very strong market for re-sale. So this is mainly to discourage dealers I would imagine.

Same with Astronauts and completing mission photos etc.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Showmasters Admin

I'd pay £1000 for Kenny Baker's autograph.....O'no it's out of the bag now, let's hope Jason doesn't see that :D

SAW IT KENNY IS NOW GOING TO COST £568585U7975687458674506749057604.00

HA HA HA

Jason :D

the thing is if i talk this limit off and book some more A list guest i know there will be people on here going on about how 5 years ago you go your Dr who guests at £5 and you could get another 4 items for free , this is not sastanable and no one can book the bigger names at these prices anymore .

£10 is still the standard price for a UK guest; I'm pleasantly surprised Lis Sladen is in that price bracket actually. If £15 became the new £10 I probably would cut back substantially.

I thought it was too good to be true, see she's £15 now. Oh well I'll just get the 2 'essentials'. Whereas at £10 I was looking at 5-6 'would be nices' too

You'd be amazed how many people were getting 10-20 for Bernard Cribbins yesterday (at £5 each) I felt a little inadequate with 8 :D

Still I won't try to claim that would be sustainable, but the face remains the organiser did get him :P

Good to see the price of so many Doctor Who stars coming down. Elisabeth Sladen now only £15 (when I looked earlier she was £70). Elizabeth Croft now free, she was £10.

Obviously I get less autos, there's only one cast shot I'll get Ms. Sladen to sign at £15, when she was £10 there were seven items.

Last time Tenth Planet got Elizabeth Croft she was only £10, however that was when the only thing of interest she'd been in was the Doctor Who, Vampires of Venice. I was going to get her to sign a group vampire shot if she was £10 again. But now she's a big star at £15 I don't need any more autographs at that price.

So I just saved £65 (£55 on Ms. Sladen, £10 on Ms. Croft).

That's on top of the £30 I saved on Sean Young. I thought she'd be £20 and was getting 4 autographs, at £25 I'm only getting two autographs.

Please keep up this pricing these events are becoming much cheaper for me.

Ps. Terrahawk someone in front of me got 24 items signed by Bernard Cribbins and then another 20 by Colin Baker didn't see what he spent on everyone else. I bet he wishes prices had been £10 or better still £15, he'd have saved a fortune.

Edited by DavidSimons

• Moderators

There's something I've never quite understood, so perhaps you can explain.

You're willing to spend £70 if they're £10.

However, at £15 you'll only get one.

You're willing to spend £80 if they're £20.

However, at £25 you'll only get two.

Now, for me, I have budgets set for various guests. What I don't get is if you're able to spend £80 on a guest, yet their price is slightly higher, instead of getting three at £25 you are getting two instead.

If you have a budget, why not just get whatever you can within that?

Obviously I get less autos, there's only one cast shot I'll get Ms. Sladen to sign at £15, when she was £10 there were seven items.

So if something is one-third cheaper, you'll buy seven times as much? May I suggest you stay well away from McDonalds the next time they have an offer on - you could end up seriously supersizing yourself :P

Now, for me, I have budgets set for various guests. What I don't get is if you're able to spend £80 on a guest, yet their price is slightly higher, instead of getting three at £25 you are getting two instead.

It's more noticeable between £5 and £10, but £10 its usually how many can I afford to get signed, £5 its what else can I find to get signed.

Look at Lis - lovely lady, she'll be very busy. as I say I will get the two items (cards) I really want signed, there's loads of sets and I have her on one of each of the sets. But I have a dozen of her stories on DVD - most of which are multisigned by the rest of the cast - so it would be nice to have her on too. But not essential (at this time). How would I choose between this one and that one.

If it was a case of spending £90 on Lis and coming away with 6, or spending that £90 elsewhere (at £5) and getting 18, the 18 gives me more to show for my money.

Realistically I know Lis' fee will never be that £5 (even before she had her own show she was £15 the first (of two) times I met her several years ago, but that was a strange event!) it was only when she was listed as £10 I even considered getting loads more. When it seemed like a bargain to good to pass up. Now it isn't so its back to essentials only.

So if something is one-third cheaper, you'll buy seven times as much? May I suggest you stay well away from McDonalds the next time they have an offer on - you could end up seriously supersizing yourself :P

Supermarkets do well from bulk buying - thats why there's always offers on. If a drink is £1.20 or two for £2 it makes sense to buy a dozen whilst the offer is on, you drink them later.

If something is value for money then I'll buy as many as I need. At £15 I think she's over priced and I'm happy not to get those items signed. She turns up at Doctor Who events often enough and I'll wait.

Jason knows for a fact that I spend this money he's told me to my face that he's happy not to get my money because he thinks I'm unique.

David the difference is I don't have a budget for a guest. Never have had, never needed to. I have a largish collection. The people on this forum who've been to my house or just seen me at conventions (which includes you!!) will have seen me add to that collection.

This year alone (i.e. in that last six months) I have added over 1,000 autographs to my collection. If you wanted boring details I could tell each and every auto got and the item that was signed. Over 70% of those autos have been got at events (the rest at theatres).

For me, different autos have different importance. Completing a cast shot is high (I will pay for Ms. Sladen to sign my 2nd Season SJA shot), I prefer some shows to others, I'm more interested in getting photos signed than DVDs. More interested getting DVDs signed than CDs

So for Sean Young I would like a Dune photo, a Blade Runner photo. They're worth £25 to me. I'd also like my Dune and Blade Runner DVDs signed. They're not worth £25 to me.

Other people may have other thought processes but those are mine.

wow 25 bernard cribbins autos? I hope thats for a big collection and not resale!

I still cant believe Rhys managed to get him! super stuff

on the subject of autos, ppl are far more likely to spend more if the price is low, thats just how humans work lol.

if an auto i 100 quid most are only gonna get one, if its 50 you might get 3, and as such spend 50 quid more! lol

i guess with the big guests though it all depends on how much its costing SM to get them!

ill always sway with the get them no matter the cost crowed than the not crowed but still, cheaper is better.

photos also, for me for example, im doing kattie sat and sunday costing 30 quid, shatner if i wanted to do that would cost me 70! although I was thinking about it i wouldnt of in the end. if Shatner had of been 25, i would of!

Think the main difference will be felt amongst the (without being disrespectful in anyway) less well known guests.

If people have a budget and spend it on just a few big names then it'll be the more 'easy to get another time' guests which might lose out on some business.

Then again, maybe it'll go the other way, if the big guests are too expensivem, more people might see the cheaper guests instead.

Fortunately for me, i can afford everyone I want to meet this year, the merchandise on the stalls, well that could be another matter, depending on whats on offer!

......oh and theres an auction too, hmm hope they take credit cards for that one!:D

Well, you can't tell what prices are going to be like.

I've been to auctions before elsewhere and picked up signed stuff and Collectables for under a fiver. But I have also seen odd things brought along by a guest to raise money for charity go for silly money.

This is likely to have bigger crowds, so who knows what the prices will be like!!

But if something really good goes on sale, it can be very tempting.....

If nothing else, it can be quite entertaining and a chance to sit down for 30 minutes or so to escape the madness elsewhere.

£10 is still the standard price for a UK guest; I'm pleasantly surprised Lis Sladen is in that price bracket actually. If £15 became the new £10 I probably would cut back substantially.

I thought it was too good to be true, see she's £15 now.

The difference with Elisabeth Sladen is that in addition to her Doctor Who 'legacy', she is now the lead on her own current (and reasonably popular in it's own way) TV series. I don't think anyone would seriously expect her to cost the same as someone who was lucky enough to put on a stormtrooper costume for George Lucas 33 years ago and has done precisely jack $hit since?

The thing is, where this is concerned what people say and what people do are two very different things. Any economist will tell you this. Irrespective of what people think the collective behaviour is, the reality is that, in this sort of market, certain price percentage increases actually don't have a lot of impact on consumption on average.

Of course, people seem unable to understand that phrase 'on average' - Terrahawk might spend slightly less, for example. But on average consumption will only be slightly less, and the drop in consumption will matter much less than the increase in revenue.

Edited by MikeDonovan