William Shatner autographs

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can see both sides of the argument here ..

he is one of the biggest names in the trek universe .. but don't forget he's done more than Trek ..

Tek War

Boston Legal

plus My Fav TJ Hooker..

in fact just on imdb .. theres almost 200 entries for him..

so i say he's worth it..

2) Most people who dont collect autographs cant believe how much we have to pay! I get derided by collegues and family when I tell them I pay �10-15 per autograph...id imagine some people will worry they'll get derided senseless when people find out they will pay �35 'just' for a scribble..I dont even get paid that much for working a sunday at double time!

You aren't kidding! I've been lucky enough to get a few costume pieces and my mum in particular takes the **** out of me when she remembers I've got them. She keeps telling me she has some worn tshirts she'll sell me for £100. ;)

did you hear that they may have an idea now for Indiana 5.

The count was right - I was joking :D And yes I did hear - but I'll be honest, I'm not going to hold my breath. Lucas tends to be the sticking point with these, and as good as Ford looked in the 4th film I can't see him doing one at 70. Might be for the best - I still can't watch that ridiculous fridge scene.

They've got an idea for Indy 5? Woweee! They forgot that bit in Indy 4, after they ripped off Predator2 and Close Encounters.. of course....

Don't get me started. Crystal Skull had it's moments, but in general I found myself getting annoyed with how disjointed the script was. IMHO George Lucas should be locked out of the script entirely, and David Keopp should have been stronger in his stance against some of the more ridiculous moments i.e. the fridge, Tarzan Shia, etc.

Edited by MikeDonovan

I find it hard to understand how much hysteria this is causing. He is charging £10 more than the usual top price at an event that is five months away.

I know times are hard but are people really saying they cannot find an extra £10 in five months?

I think maybe its because people don't see why they should have to pay that?

I don't know but personally if I did not already have his autograph I myself would not be getting one at £35. There are bigger guests then him who have been to showmasters events (not counting autographica here) who I have never seen the need to charge people that much for there autograph, so why should he be so different...

Also if people start saying we want xxx guest and will pay anything for them then we will start paying for that.

If people everywhere (know if won't happen) said sorry not paying more then £20 for siad guests and didnt get there auto if they were more, then the industry as a whole would have to change.

As it stands whether you or I want to pay £35, because there are enough people out there that will pay that much then they (as I said) will keep charging that much and the prices are just gona keep increasing....

Its all about supply and demand and what they can get out of us at the end of the day...

At least I know the price of my already bought auto (no matter how many there are in circulation) has just increased in value a little. Thanks Showmasters and William Shatner...

Stars know what they can get out of people for there appearances, and until everyone says no to much mate, then stars are going to keep increasing there prices and we are going to have to pay as a result..

:thumbup:

LLAP :thumbup:

Edited by zebredy

i can see both sides of the argument here ..

he is one of the biggest names in the trek universe .. but don't forget he's done more than Trek ..

Tek War

Boston Legal

plus My Fav TJ Hooker..

in fact just on imdb .. theres almost 200 entries for him..

so i say he's worth it..

He might be one of the most well known in trek, but after way people were treated when he came to an event before, he is certainly not the most liked, and if you want people to pay a lot of money for your auto in a time when lots are out of work etc, peeing people off in the past and giving yourself a bad name is not going to help.

I go to a trek group and events where a lot of trekkies hang out, and after last time he appeared at an SMs event my friends said s'od it not getting his auto, what a waist hes a d**k

Sorry to be rude not my words but I can see there point (well sort of)

:thumbup:

LLAP :thumbup:

Edited by zebredy

*sigh*

SM addressed his last appearence in the first post of his announcment thread.

This time should very well be different and better as he will have much more time.

Can we leave this now? He's charging £35. If you like it fine, if you dont fine. Its all up to your personal choice.

End.

• Moderators

I would also add that I highly doubt he needs to do these appearances, and he very rarely does them over here, so it could be one of his last ever UK con signings. So personally I'm making the most of it regardless.

*sigh*

This time should very well be different and better as he will have much more time.

Can we leave this now? He's charging £35. If you like it fine, if you dont fine. Its all up to your personal choice.

End.

I

Not having a go but, if you don't want people to talk about it get someone to delete the post, its not like you have to read it. It might have been addressed but Im just relaying what my thoughts are and what I heard a close friend say. Its a topic that was about his price increase and what people thought, where is the harm in that.

As I said don't read (or post for that matter) if you don't like the topic of conversation or peoples replies, where is the point in that lol

:hathor:

LLAP :borg:

Edited by zebredy

*sigh*

End.

Could not agree more with you! I'm getting tired of the complainers and whingers.

I would also add that I highly doubt he needs to do these appearances, and he very rarely does them over here, so it could be one of his last ever UK con signings. So personally I'm making the most of it regardless.

def not lol, and in recent years he has said he admires the fans that go to these conventions, didnt he write a book on it? or perhaps its something i read (sorry audio booked) in his star trek memories books

im def making th most of it, bought the sunday photo shoot and the talk as soon as i saw it avaliable, thinking also about bying a sat shoot! costly but its the Shatner! a legend, not an auto collector but im even thining of getting that, maybe, ill most likely change my mind when i see the queus lol

*sigh*

End.

Personally, I don't think that will change anything at all in his behaviour. You can chalk it up to "He was very busy", but if you'd read up on it you would know that he is like that in 99% of the time regardless of how many days he is at an event. Using that as an excuse that he'll be different now is going to get peoples hopes up, most likely just to be shot down again once they meet him. Rest assured they'll come back here complaining about his behaviour at the end of the day.

*sigh*

End.

Personally, I don't think that will change anything at all in his behaviour. You can chalk it up to "He was very busy", but if you'd read up on it you would know that he is like that in 99% of the time regardless of how many days he is at an event. Using that as an excuse that he'll be different now is going to get peoples hopes up, most likely just to be shot down again once they meet him. Rest assured they'll come back here complaining about his behaviour at the end of the day.

Its not just that, a lot of people still don't go on the forums and one bad experiance can scare someones opinion of a guest for life (for some) and if they don't come on here to read what said reasons for him being the way hie was (whether you or I choose to believe them or not) well it won't help them...

:firedevil:

LLAP :YAHOO:

Edited by zebredy

• 2 weeks later...

Sssshhh, don't tell Bill...but I was willing to pay £50!!! :unsure:

I would, too.

William Shatner is a genuine TV legend (and I don't like to use the word "legend" lightly unlike a lot of people). His body of work is amazing. I've got a talk ticket and will be purchasing an autograph at the con. I'm really excited. Never thought I'd get a chance to meet him, and he's 79 so this is very much a once in a life time oppertunity.

Considering all the iconic things he's been in and the fact he's not getting any younger, I've got no issue at all with paying a few quid more than usual. People whinging about the price are being really unfair toward those who are able and willing to pay. Especially since there's still a few months to save up.

Edited by Siren