UK TV show cons ? would you go to an event like this ?

showmasters

236 members have voted

1. 1. vote for a single show you would go to a con for

• Ashes to Ashes / Life on Mars
    • Spooks
    • Law & Order: UK
    • Hustle
    • Merlin
    • Skins
    • Paradox
    • Robin Hood
    • The Tudors
    • Survivors
    • Day of the Triffids
    • Bring human
  2. 2. vote if you think this combination works for a con

• Spooks , Hustle
    • Merlin , Robin Hood
    • Paradox , Survivors
    • Bring Human , Life on Mars
    • Robin Hood , The Tudors
    • Day of the Triffids , Paradox
    • Law & Order: UK , Spooks
  3. 3. vote if you think more shows in one con would also work

• Spooks , Hustle , Life on Mars
    • Robin Hood , The Tudors , Merlin
    • Day of the Triffids , Paradox , Survivors
    • Bring Human , Life on Mars , Paradox

• Showmasters Admin

ok there are lots of UK TV shows being made in the UK and we have been thinking about running a con that would cater for the fans of these shows :blush:

but the shows may only have a small fan base ?

and after the being human event failed to get the numbers needed to run an con of the back of it maybe it would be good to combined two or three TV shows to make it work ?

anyway i have put up some combinations for shows that might work , but what do you all think ?

we would be looking to get 6 to 10 guest to one of these cons so you could have 3 guests from each show and maybe some guests that cross over ? so lets all have a chat about this and maybe we can put together a way to run some great events for fans of UK TV shows :(

also if we have missed a show do let us know on here :D

jason

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really a fan of joint conventions but there are some on this list I would gladly attend.

Merlin con would be excellent, Law and Order Uk is a great show and perhaps shows like New Tricks.

I would not attend a Merlin con if it was merged with Robin Hood - loved Merlin, hated Robin Hood (Unless of course it was Robin of Sherwood)

Edited by reddragon

Hustle, Hustle and.... let me think... Hustle!!!

Hotel Babylon and Two Pints guests would be FANTASTIC too... please?! It MUST say something that Alexandra Moen's Hotel Babylon pics went really quickly at LFCC!

Edited by Lizzy

I would LOVE to meet some of the Skins cast!

Please hear my cry SKINS!

Even at just a collecotmania or LFCC.... I'd just love to meet them!

As for cons...SKINS CON!

But i think Merlin or Life on mars could work well :)

SKINS!

also if we have missed a show do let us know on here :(

Thought - Primeval?

I reckon Merlin and Primeval might go quite well together, I think a lot of people who like one of the shows also like the other. There's a lot of people I know who like both anyway but I may of course be wrong. Personally, I'm not sure if I'd be able to attend another event as my parents limit me to three conventions a year (I might be able to persuade them to make that four hopefully) and so far it's; The Hub 4, Roadhouse & The Hub 5 for this year but I also want to go to Bitten and Bad Wolf.

The top two programmes for me though from that list in the poll would have to be Merlin and Law & Order: UK but yeah, I think Primeval would be quite good too, especially now it's being revived and coming back. :D

Edited by Doctor Who

I would love to meet guests from Merlin, Hustle and Spooks.

There are a few too many shows listed up there that I dont watch so would depend on the shows picked for the con and the guests as to whether I'd go.

Get Marc Warren, Rupert Penry-Jones, Colin Morgan and Bradley James and I'll be there in a heartbeat!!

Agree that Primeval should be a choice although I've not watched it.

Maybe guests from these shows would work best at signing events? Just on the basis that the Being Human event didnt work. I wouldnt want another UK show based con to be announced and then cancelled.

xxxx

I reckon Merlin and Primeval might go quite well together, I think a lot of people who like one of the shows also like the other. There's a lot of people I know who like both anyway but I may of course be wrong.
I was going to suggest it may be a good match with Merlin but didn't as I thought general opinion would think it an odd pairing. I'm not even sure why it appeals to me but it does. Of course a Primeval 'only' con would work for me even better! Although I am not sure if there would be enough demand for that.

I know there's already lots of Doctor Who conventions that happen but I've got to say, I definitely feel that there's a market niche out there for a convention which is dedicated purely to the new series. A lot of people who I know don't attend the conventions for Doctor Who as they don't know half of the guests from the classic series and don't want to spend so much money on only a few guests who they know. Personally, I love meeting guests from both the classic and new series (admittedly, I'm more of a new series fan though) and have to admit that if there was a convention for the new series of Doctor Who, I'd book a ticket straight away. I'm sure many other people would too, especially if you could get big name guests like you do for The Hub. That's just an idea anyway, you could even try it as a one-off event dedicated to Russell T Davies' era of Doctor Who which has just sadly come to an end but I'm sure Steven Moffat's era is going to be great too. :(

I was going to suggest it may be a good match with Merlin but didn't as I thought general opinion would think it an odd pairing. I'm not even sure why it appeals to me but it does. Of course a Primeval 'only' con would work for me even better! Although I am not sure if there would be enough demand for that.

Yeah, there's definitely something which makes them feel right together. I think it's as they're both shown around the same time and aimed at the same audience. If you're going to have a mixed convention, it's definitely best that you use shows with similar audiences as the attendees are more likely to like both of the programmes then rather than just one of them. :D

Edited by Doctor Who

• Showmasters Admin

I have to say that there is not a single show on there that interests me one iota. Sorry SM, but they'd be more events I wouldn't go to and thereby spend money on - I'm all for the big old CM type ones

ok but i do not understand why you even posted in the first place ? as we still run CM and will always will , but we are looking at ways to run events for UK TV shows and this is the best way to find out what fans of those shows want .

i am not being funny i just do not see why you posted in this thread CM events will keep happing :poki:

jason :WAVE:

What about classic shows ?

An event combining classic comedies like Dad's Army, hi-de-hi, Allo Allo etc. I know any one show wouldn't get enough guests, but generally speaking, people are fans of the genre as a whole.

Minder, Auf Wiedersehen Pet, etc (a thinly veiled attempt to get George Cole to Autographica) but they were the Life on Mars etc of their day !

I'm not really a fan of joint conventions but there are some on this list I would gladly attend.

Merlin con would be excellent, Law and Order Uk is a great show and perhaps shows like New Tricks.

I would not attend a Merlin con if it was merged with Robin Hood - loved Merlin, hated Robin Hood (Unless of course it was Robin of Sherwood)

I second this! :)

For a Merlin con I'd be definitely amongst the first to buy a gold ticket. And believe me, Merlin has a pretty big fanbase by now. But I'm sure I had to think twice to go to a joint convention.

Concerning the poll, I think it's a bit unfortunate that I have to vote for the joint conventions as well to have my vote counted in the single con poll, when I'm not sure the joint cons will work.

Edited by Chayiana

I havent voted cos I dont watch most of the shows on there except being human.

I do think it is a really good idea to have a mixed show con of maybe three shows,

now this is probably going to be considered a stupid comment as all the above are UK shows,

but wonder if being human would be better mixed up with others such as vampire diaries (I know they are only just hitting the uk) and True Blood (I know there is already a con for that, and would love to go - funds allowing, but then I would have loved to go to housebroken too if I could have - too close to ET for me unfortunately) - you know, keep it in the same genre and all that.

I do realise that would probably mean a wait until vampire diaries took off a bit.

would be a really fun con though :WAVE: the party themes would be fantastic :poki: and a good range of guests that could possibly come

In the meantime, I think its great that the housebroken guests are going to other shows, it was such an amazing line up :WAVE:

Edited by Rhianydd

also if we have missed a show do let us know on here :D

Thought - Primeval?

I reckon Merlin and Primeval might go quite well together, I think a lot of people who like one of the shows also like the other. There's a lot of people I know who like both anyway but I may of course be wrong. Personally, I'm not sure if I'd be able to attend another event as my parents limit me to three conventions a year (I might be able to persuade them to make that four hopefully) and so far it's; The Hub 4, Roadhouse & The Hub 5 for this year but I also want to go to Bitten and Bad Wolf.

The top two programmes for me though from that list in the poll would have to be Merlin and Law & Order: UK but yeah, I think Primeval would be quite good too, especially now it's being revived and coming back. :dance:

Merlin, Primeval and Being Human - excellent shows all! :D

I still think that Merlin would hold it's own as a con (every Merlin type official event I've been to has sold out and had hundreds of people there), but from that list? I think most people would have to be interested in both shows to want to go.

Otherwise there's a chance that if you booked for show A, that there were 4 big guests from show B and two bit parts from show A. Which would be hard to justify the cost... (not that SM wouldn't try to even it out, but you can only get the guests that are available).

Day of the Triffids? I'm assuming that's the new one? *is pained* Why can't people just read the books these days.

Yay for Merlin!!! Would love to see a mix Robin Hood/The Tudors/Merlin with say at least 2 guests from each show so they can have talks together I really think that would work brill though I do agree Melrin could probably warrant it's own I think having the mixture of shows may appeal to more people would love to see this happen!

Also you know whats really similar and awesome to these shows though NOT int he UK *cough* legend of the seeker *cough*

Edited by jazz5490

How about a convention which is mixed between Merlin and the new updated series of Doctor Who? Once again, people who like one of them usually like the other and there's a lot of cast members who've been in both programmes. To name a few off the top of my head, here's some actors who have been in both Merlin and the new series of Doctor Who;

Colin Morgan (Merlin himself) was Jethro in Doctor Who 'Midnight', Anthony Head (King Uther) was Mr Finch in Doctor Who 'School Reunion', Richard Wilson (Gaius) was Dr Constantine in Doctor Who 'The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances', Angel Coulby (Gwen) was Katherine in Doctor Who 'The Girl in the Fireplace', Eve Myles (Lady Helen) was Gwyneth in Doctor Who 'The Unquiet Dead' plus Gwen in Torchwood and Doctor Who 'The Stolen Earth/Journey's End', Georgia Moffett (Lady Vivian) played the title role in Doctor Who 'The Doctor's Daughter', Michelle Ryan (Nimueh) was Christina De Souza in Doctor Who 'Planet of the Dead' and Sarah Parish (Lady Catrina) was the Empress of the Racnoss in Doctor Who 'The Runaway Bride'.

That's just for crossovers too and then there's plenty of actors you could get who's just been in one of the programmes. I'm sure Bradley James (Arthur) would be one of the most popular guests from Merlin if you could get him there and I really do feel that a mixed Merlin/new series Doctor Who convention could work. I know that I'd definitely buy a Silver ticket as soon as they went on sale as I'm sure many other people would too. Does anyone else agree and would anyone else attend? :YAHOO:

Edited by Doctor Who