Patrick Stewart

Howie

Well, Bakula was doin them for somethin like 160$ when he appeared at the Las Vegas Star Trek con, around same price for the auto, but he was 25£ at LFACC this year.

Stewart is now into photo-ops, its a start, now we can hope SM will do their magic ;)

Can we have a Star Trek Captains group photo-shoot ?:smile:

Edited by Skylover

I say bring back Patrick. As he was only there a few hours last time (and no photoshoots) a lot of people did not manage to meet him.

I'd happily purchase a photoshoot with Patrick, even if it was more expensive than the usual photoshoots.

Don't invite him back, he was as sour as you could get at the last one and then left early unannounced.He wouldn't pose for photos or even look at some fans. Disgusted with his attitude and i know i'm not alone on that one.Most of the time he won't sign for fans outside theatre or anywhere especially any star trek stuff so why encourage him to make money off fans he doesn't deserve.Compere miserable Stewart with other star trek people like Sirtis,Frakes, Dorn etc who are great to fans.Get them back instead.

I saw him at the last one and didn't find him to be sour at all. He looked up, made eye contact and was very polite and friendly. I also went to his talk which was probably, in my opinion, the most entertaining of the weekend.

I'd definitely go to see him again and would happily pay for a photoshoot.

• Moderators

A lot of my friends met him, and had pleasant experiences. I went to his talk and thought it was one of the best I'd ever been to.

I don't think whether he signs outside theatres etc should have any impact on if he comes to an event or not.

Don't invite him back, he was as sour as you could get at the last one and then left early unannounced.He wouldn't pose for photos or even look at some fans. Disgusted with his attitude and i know i'm not alone on that one.Most of the time he won't sign for fans outside theatre or anywhere especially any star trek stuff so why encourage him to make money off fans he doesn't deserve.Compere miserable Stewart with other star trek people like Sirtis,Frakes, Dorn etc who are great to fans.Get them back instead.

I met him both times he has done a Showmaster event and i was pleasantly surprised how nice he was. Both times he pleasant, looked up and said hello. Even took time to say hi to Sarah when she went back to give him the card she'd made for him. Would love to have a photo taken with him but not sure if i'd have the guts to.

I say bring back Patrick. As he was only there a few hours last time (and no photoshoots) a lot of people did not manage to meet him.

I'd happily purchase a photoshoot with Patrick, even if it was more expensive than the usual photoshoots.

We must be talking about a different Patrick Stewart. He was the perfect gentleman when I met him - a quick hello, handshake and even a few words about his then forthcoming Shakespearean work with David Tennant.

As far as signing outside theatres is concerned, I agree that should not be included in this topic but for the record, he will happily sign anything related to the play he is appearing in which arguably is a fair call.

Have to agree with you bigcat.

Left early unannounced? It was announced a few times by crew members handling his queue that he would be leaving straight after his talk had concluded so anyone who wanted a auto needed to see him prior to that. The, extremely entertaining, talk finished around 4pm. No, unfortunatly he didn't do posed photos. In fact I think it was no photos at all (except during the talk) However he is not alone in this. A few guests request no photos for various reasons (Dorn was no posed photos when I met him at Milton Keynes).

I met Patrick at both LFCC's he has attended and have found him to be very polite, and friendly on both occassions with handshake/smile on initally meeting him, and again when leaving. Quite chatty on the last meeting in fact as he picked up on my Bristol accent and explained how much he enjoyed Bristol when he spent some time there early in his career learning his craft. Shame you, and some others, didn't get a similar experience.

Would be great to see him again.

I have to admit that I would pay more than normal for a photoshoot with him.

To be honest, the celebrities that come to signing events and conventions are human beings just like anyone else. They have their off days/moments just like we do. And for those that would argue that they are being paid a great deal of money to attend these things and that it is a job, I ask you if you have smiled and been perfectly pleasant every single waking moment of your working life.

If you have, then all power to you and I'll let you continue moaning in peace.

I met Richard Dean Anderson at a large convention last year (not Patrick Stewart, but please bear with me). I said hello to him, asked how he was, but got absolutely blanked. Not even eye contact. After travelling, I think, 5,000 miles to be there, I was more than a little upset. And yet friends tell me how wonderful and friendly he has been when they've met him. So maybe he didn't hear me saying hello, or because of the rush of the signing, he didn't get chance.

I was at a signing a while back, and I forget which guest it was, I believe Amanda Tapping or Paul McGillion... but it wasn't a Showmasters event, and people were being herded through. I was near the end of the queue, and this guest said, "Oh my God, I feel awful! That girl got shepherded past me and by the time I looked up to say hello, she'd gone! What's she going to think?!"

So there's a range of reasons for it. Sometimes by the time they've looked up, you've gone. Sometimes they're having a bad moment after being confronted by a vicious 'fan' and are quietly seething and don't look up. Sometimes they're in a surly mood because they're tired, hungover and whatever else. Sometimes they're simply under so much pressure from their agents to sign as many autographs as humanly possible, that they sign, sign, sign and don't look up.

But whatever the reason, we shouldn't judge too harshly that someone's had a rough day or bad moment. These people, at the end of the day, have given up their time to come and meet fans (yes, I know they're being pain, but it's still an incursion on their personal time). For many of them, they're leaving young families or partners behind in another country, suffering jet lag, having to worry about filming on monday when they haven't had chance to look over their lines yet. All sorts of things.

We don't know what's going on in their lives that affects them. We only see the public persona. And if that slips for an hour or two because they're having a bad day, then wouldn't you rather they were being themselves and genuine than being horribly two-faced and putting on that awful facade? Because I'm sure if a guest were less than genuine, there would be just as many, if not more complaints.

Anyway... just felt a bit preachy and wanted to bat for the other side.

Tracy Jane, I don't think you were preachy at all. Sometimes its good to be reminded that the celebs we go to see are people just like the rest of us. I think some fans tend to overlook that.

I know I've seen a few celebs who have been really off with me. Then someone I've been with has been to see them later and raved about how nice they were. So I just accept that maybe I caught them at a bad moment.

I think the points you've raised are good ones and people should bear them in mind before making judgements based on one brief experience. :D

I'd like to see him back. It seems to me that he's got better with these events over the years and maybe right now is the time to meet him again. Especially if he did a photoshoot. I wouldn't want to pay a massive over the usual price amount though. Prefer to pay the usual £25 for a top guest. Maybe £30 as he only does a few shows and hasn't done photoshoots before.

A Captains photoshoot one day would be great. Maybe a 'Star Trek Captains Weekend' event at a hotel could be considered. I think it would definitely sell out. However, getting them all to a UK event at the same time may be very very difficult. Would be an amazing event to attend though.

Edited by spocks-brain

I say bring back Patrick. As he was only there a few hours last time (and no photo shoots) a lot of people did not manage to meet him.

I'd happily purchase a photo shoot with Patrick, even if it was more expensive than the usual photo shoots.

Don't invite him back, he was as sour as you could get at the last one and then left early unannounced.He wouldn't pose for photos or even look at some fans. Disgusted with his attitude and i know i'm not alone on that one.Most of the time he won't sign for fans outside theatre or anywhere especially any star trek stuff so why encourage him to make money off fans he doesn't deserve.Compere miserable Stewart with other star trek people like Sirtis,Fakes, Dorn etc who are great to fans.Get them back instead.

When me and my two boys went to meet him he totally ignored me but started talking briefly to my eldest

at lfcc 2008 not one of the best people i met and he would not sign the autograph personaey for some reason may be he did have his off days but i was very dissapointed

I met him at LFCC last time and he was polite even though the queue was quick. Said hello, looked up, and thanked me for comig after I said thank you.

And as others have said, his talk was the best I've been to (Sorry Bakula, your only just second lol) at any con.

Now that I have met the man he seems very polite, and was very witty in his talk, but unless I could find something else for him to sign, I doubt I'd meet him again unless he did a photoshoot.

If he did one I'd be all over it. Top bloke.

Yeah I was in the lucky minority with Shatner (met him early and he was polite but quick, like Stewart)

And from your experience it seems Patrick's mood for signing things is very much dictated on the timing and your own way of asking. You actually asked if it was ok for him to sign it, whereas lots of people at premiers and stagedoors and such just shove thing infront of people so they can beat the crowds.

Left early unannounced? It was announced a few times by crew members handling his queue that he would be leaving straight after his talk had concluded so anyone who wanted a auto needed to see him prior to that. The, extremely entertaining, talk finished around 4pm. No, unfortunatly he didn't do posed photos. In fact I think it was no photos at all (except during the talk) However he is not alone in this. A few guests request no photos for various reasons (Dorn was no posed photos when I met him at Milton Keynes).

I met Patrick at both LFCC's he has attended and have found him to be very polite, and friendly on both occassions with handshake/smile on initally meeting him, and again when leaving. Quite chatty on the last meeting in fact as he picked up on my Bristol accent and explained how much he enjoyed Bristol when he spent some time there early in his career learning his craft. Shame you, and some others, didn't get a similar experience.

Would be great to see him again.

I have to admit that I would pay more than normal for a photoshoot with him.

Maybe i should have put it another way, he left earlier than expected because on the website he was listed as being there all day for autographs and the website wasn't updated on the day of the event.It was announced on the day to the crew only before you went in. Many fans i know traveled only to see him and having got there later in the day he had allready gone or told the crew that he was going early, leaving many fans out of pocket. Thats really bad.I can only go on my experiance but he was miserable, wouldn't talk and i watched him with others after i left the queue to see if it was just me and got only negative feedback from them as he did the same thing again and again. Of couse he's human and has bad days but when he's taking money off fans at a convention then he has a duty to treat people properly.If others had a better experiance then good but he couldn't be bothered from what i saw of him, just like he can't be bothered at premieres and outside theatres, for many people, especially if you have star trek items which is why most people know him. Doesn't deserve fans who keep sticking up for him.As for no photos, it's a typical example of everything being done on his terms so he can make more money out of you.Its the fans who pay his wages.Invite other cast members ,not Stewart, they are much more genuine.

Edited by bigcat

To be honest, the celebrities that come to signing events and conventions are human beings just like anyone else. They have their off days/moments just like we do. And for those that would argue that they are being paid a great deal of money to attend these things and that it is a job, I ask you if you have smiled and been perfectly pleasant every single waking moment of your working life.

We're not asking them to be pleasant "every single waking moment of their life" - just the 3.142 seconds we get with them (and paid for) before being herded off.

If I told my boss I was rude to a paying customer cos I was having an off-day.com and that he should cut me some slack cos I'm human and cant smile all the time, do you think he would let me off? NO. Why? Cos I'm not meant to be there to be rude. Why should the rules be any different for a con guest? Cos they have an ego that says, "you need me, I don't need you"?

No one, including the almighty "celebrities", has the right to be rude to anyone unprovoked. It's inexcuseable, off-day.com or not.

anyway... just felt a bit preachy and wanted to bat for the other side.

:WINCE: Odd choice of words.

:blink: He signed so fast that he had an open queue and everyone was told he was leaving after the talk. If anyone missed him it was cos they didnt go and see him before the talk.

Edited by nicky

I think you also gotta see the fact that people like Stewart, as big as they are, are usually going to be mainly remembered for one or two roles, in his case, Capt. Picard and to a lesser extent Professor Xavier. And that when he gets a constant stream of items of Star Trek and X-Men, it might annoy him. Now granted, if I were to meet Stewart, I would get a couple of Trek items signed, but I'm also hoping to get my DVD sleve of TMNT autographed as I'm a fan of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and enjoyed the voice work he did on that movie.

Another person who is annoyed at being constantly reminded for one role (as far as I have heard) is Tom Wilson who played Biff in the Back To The Future series. I've heard he isn't doing anymore conventions because of it, which is a shame because although I do like the BttF series, I would have loved Wilson to autographed an animation cel to a character he voiced in Gargoyles I own.

Hell, before The Matrix, Keanu Reeve's biggest fear was he was going to be remembered solely for the role of Ted.

Of course there are people who are thankful for the roles they have played and the fans they have, like George Takei. I've never heard a foul word said against the man (other then from Shatner) and he seems very thankful for all the Trek fans support over the years. But when I met him, I asked him to sign my DVD copy of Godzilla Raids Again as he did voice work on the English dub that was produced and Takei was shocked to see it. It was late in the day and he said he had not been asked to autograph it before, not just at that show, but since the DVD's release. We then talk a good 5-10 minutes about his work before Trek. To me it seemed like he was happy to be acknowledge for some work outside of Trek.

But anyways, back on topic, I would like to meet Patrick Stewart and if Showmasters does get him for another show and I do get the chance to meet him this time, I can be fully understanding if he isn't in the best of moods. And yes, while I would like a couple of Trek items signed, I have some other things Stewart has worked on that I would love autographed.

;) He signed so fast that he had an open queue and everyone was told he was leaving after the talk. If anyone missed him it was cos they didnt go and see him before the talk.

Thanks for the constructive feedback - but not everyone gets seen even with an open queue, or maybe people arrived later expecting him to sign all day, nd not stopping after signing for a few hours.

I personally would like him to return specifically for photoshoots.