Quite Possibly The Worst

Alx

I am going to be pretty blunt in this email. No holding back. (Although the tone will be fair for users of all ages), so please sit back, and make yourself comfortable!

HMV2.jpg

This is the sign, that many of us are familiar with, but today it has turned black and grey for me. Ive seen the likes of Virgin, Eplay, Fopp all die in my local area in the last couple of weeks, and all I have at home is HMV.

Though today its not the high street store that has upset and infuriated me, no, today it is HMV online. As with many families up and down the country I have been involved with the online marketplace, for a few years now. With the Christmas period comming up, I have opened my options from the few sites I have used in the past.

During a shopping trip in my home town, I went into my local HMV store, and made a purchase, handing over my student card they said it wasnt valid, though I could have a new HMV student card. I took it happily as it gave me my instore discount. Reading the pamflet I saw I got a 15% discount for my first online purchase, and 10% thereafter.

With this in mind, I decided to do a large chunk of my christmas shopping (as it happens the last of my christmas shopping) all on HMV, as their prices were comparible with other online retailers, except I got my 15% discount.

Well on November 15th I placed my order. As soon as my order had been completed, I noticed how I had been overcharged, with only 10% discount taken off. It may seem petty but I wasnt going to just ignore this. I didnt think that this was fair, to advertise a discount that I would not get.

So I emailed there customer services department.

This is where it starts to get interesting:

My first email was ignored, dispite it stating that I would recieve a reply within 48 hours.

I thought how rude, so I sent a second email. This obviously wasnt read properly, as I recieved a standard reply, stating how HMV online dosent take NUS Cards anymore... My problem being that I dont have a NUS Card, I have a HMV Student Discount Card.

My reply was sent to address this, but for the next time, and the time after that, and the time after that I recieved the same email reply.

Finally after deciding that enough was enough, I phoned the HMV Customer Services Department. Here I was talked to in a reasonable manner, albeit briefly as about 1minute into the call I was just put on hold, no warning, just dropped into silence.

When the line was finally picked up again, the CSA said that I hadnt put in my promotion code, which I had.

I explained how I had and, he told me I hadnt, so in no uncertain terms he called me a liar.

At this point I was made to fume, how dare they call me a liar. I asked immediately to speak with a Supervisor. When he came on the line it took him around 30 seconds before he too had called me a liar. Though it took him 5mins to come through, dispite him saying he was listening to my conversation previously.

Whilst on the phone he said it was not possible at all to refund my account for the overcharging. However when I stated I would not be shopping with HMV Online again, and that I would then like to cancel my order, it magically became possible for the refund to go back on straight away!

How that works I dont know... I feel disgusted that someone can come to me (the customer) call me a liar and then lie to me.

So anyways, this issue still has not been resolved fully, and to make matters worse, none of my final xmas pressies have arrived, not to mention the other bits I ordered for myself.

Yet they were supposedly dispatched 14days ago.

I feel disgusted with HMV, and was just looking to see if anyone else has had such poor customer service with HMV online.

They really have upset me over this, and its for that reason that I am bringing this to your attention.

Rant Over

Alex

• Moderators

That's a bit of a mess really isn't it? :blink:

Shame really, as HMV are the online retailer I probably use the most, and I've never had any problems with them - even when stuff has gone missing and I need replacements or refunds etc.

I only started using them a couple of years back when they started to actually do half-decent pricing on their website, when it used to be as bad as their in-store ones.

But yeah, with the amount of stuff I regularly buy, there's bound to be something that goes missing every so often .. and luckily they've always been very efficient in dealing with the problems.

When I phoned about my missing goods they told me that they would have to charge me the prices on the website, which were now higher as some items were no longer in the sale and I wouldnt get my student discount either.

lol

Oh what a fun game of my money your account I have been playing with them.

Btw, i miss you DB :blink:

I'm sure HMV distribute from Jersey like Play.com.

Sometimes it takes a little longer. I ordered something from play the other week that took well over 10 days to arrive.

Just thought I'd let you know, and what with Christmas the post isn't fantastic.

I'm sure they still have to replace the good free of charge to you though, they can't get away with re charging you at the higher rate, as long as you have your confirmation email etc you should be fine.

I'm sure HMV distribute from Jersey like Play.com.

Sometimes it takes a little longer. I ordered something from play the other week that took well over 10 days to arrive.

Just thought I'd let you know, and what with Christmas the post isn't fantastic.

I'm sure they still have to replace the good free of charge to you though, they can't get away with re charging you at the higher rate, as long as you have your confirmation email etc you should be fine.

I personally cannot see the usual Christmas run in impacting yet, but I may be wrong. And, coming from Jersey ala Play.com only takes a few days more in my personal experiences.

Yuhuh,

I agree Nicky.

Well I shop with Amazon, Play, and Virgin a fair bit. I have recieved items within 24 hours from Amazon, with standard free shipping, and usuasally within 96 hours for the other stores, at the latest.

I haven't had anything quite that bad, but the site really bugs me sometimes- I order, or pre-order something, then 2 weeks later I get an email saying "we're having difficulties getting stock, but we're trying especially hard to getit to you" Then a few months later I get an email saying the give up. Sometimes Its ok cos I realise they've got the stock down wrong, but when I've pre- ordered? Thats annoying! Esp cos I to have NUS and its cheaper than anywhere else first hand.

Alx, do they not do NUS anymore? I haven't been there for about 2 months, and I haven't actually remembered to apply for my NUS card yet, whoops. Did you just go in and show them your uni ID card?

When I phoned about my missing goods they told me that they would have to charge me the prices on the website, which were now higher as some items were no longer in the sale and I wouldnt get my student discount either.

lol

Oh what a fun game of my money your account I have been playing with them.

Btw, i miss you DB :wub:

First of all my understanding is that you need an NUS card to get the HMV student discount but maybe I am wrong but the code on my daughters HMV discount card definately works and automatically sits on her account and takes the discount off, brilliant savings

I browse for what I want then get her to order it :wub:

Personally never had any probs with HMV myself - sorry to hear you have. However, I have had MAJOR problems with CDWOW.

I ordered several DVDs from them, paid up front and waited for them to arrive. And waited. And waited. Several weeks later, I contacted them - it seems they are pre-selling items, they do not have and seems they have no intention of ever getting in stock.

This has happened to me more than once with CDWOW - the first time was several months ago. The titles I ordered then (several months ago), they are still selling and advertising , but they have never received them from their suppliers, so they cannot possibly ever send to customers. I think they're hoping people either forget about their order or hope they will choose something else rather than a refund. Sorry to rant but they really p***ed me off!

That's a bit of a mess really isn't it? :(

Shame really, as HMV are the online retailer I probably use the most, and I've never had any problems with them - even when stuff has gone missing and I need replacements or refunds etc.

I only started using them a couple of years back when they started to actually do half-decent pricing on their website, when it used to be as bad as their in-store ones.

But yeah, with the amount of stuff I regularly buy, there's bound to be something that goes missing every so often .. and luckily they've always been very efficient in dealing with the problems.

I've never had any problems with them , either. Always found them efficient and cheap.

After messing me around loads, I went to the HMV Group director. Who has now resolved the issue.

All my goods have been sent out again.

My refund of the overcharging was made.

All good have subsequently been sent out free of charge.

All postage upgraded to Royal Mail special delivery.

So I should have the goods tomororw :D

Finally sorted.

A

• 2 weeks later...

HMV.com are based in Gurnsey (I think...) A Tax free zone which is why 80% of stuff is cheaper online than in store.

I used my mums student card online and only got 10% But I just put the code in as a normal student card. After reading the small print it stated it needed to be typed in as a promo code. It annoyed me but I can still use it next time.

Id not shop with HMV if i didnt work for them :D

I have never used HMV. But i have had problems with play, where i have pre ordered somthing , it never arrives. i email and they say its stuck in the system and the only thing i can do is cancel my order and re order it. Everytime this has happened it's now at a higher price. And no they won't give it to me at the price i originally ordered it for.

Somtimes its easyier ust to buy it in a shop.

Personally never had any probs with HMV myself - sorry to hear you have. However, I have had MAJOR problems with CDWOW.

I ordered several DVDs from them, paid up front and waited for them to arrive. And waited. And waited. Several weeks later, I contacted them - it seems they are pre-selling items, they do not have and seems they have no intention of ever getting in stock.

This has happened to me more than once with CDWOW - the first time was several months ago. The titles I ordered then (several months ago), they are still selling and advertising , but they have never received them from their suppliers, so they cannot possibly ever send to customers. I think they're hoping people either forget about their order or hope they will choose something else rather than a refund. Sorry to rant but they really p***ed me off!

As far as I'm aware when you pre order something they shouldn't take the money from you, and only take it when they actually dispatch the item.

I'd be vary wary about paying up front for a pre order.