postal strike!

sam1974

I work for a small online retailer...our sales have basically stopped while the strike has been on, since no-one is buying if they cant' get delivery :wub:

meanwhile, I'm waiting for some urgent stuff too.

I think the striking has been irresponsible. Its one thing to strike and then have a break and negotiate properly, but to have pretty much ongoing strikes like this is holding teh general public to ransom and lots of people are suffeirng. Give us a break please?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah how r u getting mail i havent recieved a single thing, they better hurry up! and Jael001 that much be awful cus they have striked ur losing out, they arnt thinking of that when they do it just themselves surly they can all speap out the dont have to strike, ir at this rate fire them all and get new posties lol

i don't know how your getting mail here in my village in cambs and the nearby towns we haven't recieved a thing and at my work (which is a small local company) we haven't been able to send or recieve anything the only thing we have now is DX makes we wish we all had DX it's a lot better than the ruddy joke that is the royal mail

My friend is living down here for uni and her mum has all her inhalers back at home. She's been waiting for them in the post because of the strike. So if she has any sort of attack while she's waiting, she could die. And she's tried getting a doctor's appointment but the earliest they have one is next Wednesday.

I was just wondering about the postal strike in the uk. Im sure i read that the photo op tickets will be posted 2 weeks before the event, which is 2 weeks friday. Does anyone know when they'll be posted to avoid the strikes?

As a general rule, yes the tickets are sent out approximately two weeks before the event itself. There are no plans to change this because of the Postal Strikes. Unfortunately I don't think we can avoid the strikes as they're continuing next week as well - so we just have to hope they clear the back log as soon as they can.

how about a collection point at the event for the tickets already bought just use the envolopes they would have been sent out in. this way everyone should be able to get them if they were going anyway because you dont need tickets to get in just for photo ops.

what happens if it doesnt arrive on time what do u bring to prove it.

what happens if it doesnt arrive on time what do u bring to prove it.

I think that's the most important question :YAHOO:

I'm really afraid that the tickets will never come to my home (because of the strike) and i think i will buy all my photo session tickets in Milton Keynes. :D

But a photo session tickets collect point would be a great idea with this exceptionnel conditions :D

As I live two minutes from a major sorting centre in Bristol, I guess that the area I live in is lucky. They were back working over the weekend, so there is still mail in the system. The strike is not across the board, and management/agency workers are still working to get mail out. Alot of postmen/women are still delivering. So, that is how some areas of Bristol are getting mail at the moment.

As regards someone saying about proper negotiating..there has been. These talks have been going on for sometime and the strikes have been a last resort. If you listen to the grievances aired, rather than the media hype, you will see that Royal Mail management are continually trying and succeeding in moving the goalposts as regards, pensions, pay awards, working conditions and benefits. So, it is not a case of throwing the dummy out of their prams because they can't get what they want. It is more a case of having something and the management trying and succeeding taking it away because they - the management - have run the Royal Mail into the ground from a financial point of view. That is why they changed how they charged for posting items of non regular size etc. They want to raise money because they have c*cked up running the Royal Mail.

So, if you are going to vent your frustrations and anger towards anyone in the Royal Mail, then it should be management and not the rank and file who are being taken for a rather bad ride.

I can totally empathise about not receiving things in the post, especially medical items like inhalers. But, the real villains of the peace are not the men and women on the picket lines. The real villains are sitting on expensive leather chairs in £1000 suits drinking posh teas and coffees thinking of how they can screw over the footsoldiers who do the hard work.

By the way, Turkfox. Having read your comments I have just spoken to a nurse that I know. Your friend should go to the local A&E and they will provide emergency inhalers until she/he can get the Doctor's appointment. I hope that help her/him a little.

Have a good day everyone.

Regardless of whether people the think the strike is right or wrong. Showmasters can’t be so strict as to stick with the 2 week rule. Surly they will know that the only people to suffer from refusing to send out the tickets earlier are themselves. The showmasters - workers are going to feel the heat when people turn up for photo sessions with no tickets. Showmasters can’t stop the strikes but they can reduce the problem of customers not receiving things in time by sending them out earlier than normal.

according the the rough 2 week rule, tickets would be due to be sent out on Friday (this week so the 12th) but there is NO POST until atleast THURSDAY due to the strikes and there hasn't been any post since LAST week (I'm not sure of the exact day, perhaps Thursday?) so I'm not sure how SM can send the photo tickets out earlier?? :YAHOO:

also, it is AUTOGRAPHICA this weekend, so SM will be busy sorting out things for that :D

personally, I would think it better to not send them out at all and just ask everyone to collect them from the Info Desk. this saves posting them, saves adding hundreds of letters entering the postal system and prevents them potentially being lost/delayed in the post.

I can see why they don't do this though. There are normally only a few crew members working the Info Desk and they will be ambushed with people queuing to collect photo op tickets, bless them!! :D

surfy sah xx

according the the rough 2 week rule, tickets would be due to be sent out on Friday (this week so the 12th) but there is NO POST until atleast THURSDAY due to the strikes and there hasn't been any post since LAST week (I'm not sure of the exact day, perhaps Thursday?) so I'm not sure how SM can send the photo tickets out earlier?? :YAHOO:

also, it is AUTOGRAPHICA this weekend, so SM will be busy sorting out things for that :D

personally, I would think it better to not send them out at all and just ask everyone to collect them from the Info Desk. this saves posting them, saves adding hundreds of letters entering the postal system and prevents them potentially being lost/delayed in the post.

I can see why they don't do this though. There are normally only a few crew members working the Info Desk and they will be ambushed with people queuing to collect photo op tickets, bless them!! :D

surfy sah xx

i cant see why they cant get them in the post today, despite being busy. if they havnt been sent already then they need sending out asap

If they're not in the post, I'm sure there will be the usual option of bring the email confirmation and you'll be OK. The good news I've just heard (in a forwarded email from our HQ) is that there will be a different strike every day next week, with one group out on each. The knock on effect will be (from what I could make out) that there will effectively be no post all week. This means that even if SM got ALL the tickets in the post today, chances are they'll sit and rot in a sorting office til November anyway.

Samshing

If they're not in the post, I'm sure there will be the usual option of bring the email confirmation and you'll be OK. The good news I've just heard (in a forwarded email from our HQ) is that there will be a different strike every day next week, with one group out on each. The knock on effect will be (from what I could make out) that there will effectively be no post all week. This means that even if SM got ALL the tickets in the post today, chances are they'll sit and rot in a sorting office til November anyway.

Samshing

Why don't Showmasters send out e-tickets?

It works for the airlines.

surfy sah xx

i cant see why they cant get them in the post today, despite being busy. if they havnt been sent already then they need sending out asap

Because it's just little old me that sends everything out from the processing of the cards, to the writing out of the envelopes, the recorded delivery slips, sticking the stamps on and posting them.

I'm still waiting on some tickets to be printed and sent to me which should be with me by the end of the week.

At the end of the day, if the tickets haven't arrived in time, then as long as you have a copy of your email confirmation confirming your order, then that'll be fine. We'll be able to sort it from there. We've not had a problem with this in the past.

All tickets are sent out first class recorded delivery, so in theory, we can tell if it's been delivered or not.

"I'm still waiting on some tickets to be printed and sent to me which should be with me by the end of the week."

Looks likely that i will have to que at the event to show my paperwork to get my tickets to que to get my photo. Even though i ordered the photo sessions ages ago now, seems like either showmasters or their printers need to not leave things till the last minute.

It's not being left to the last minute - it is standard practise that ALL tickets are posted out approximately two weeks before the show itself.

You won't need to queue twice if all you have is your confirmation email - you just show that to the photo session area instead and it is sorted from there. :YAHOO:

If they're not in the post, I'm sure there will be the usual option of bring the email confirmation and you'll be OK.

It's just my opinion, but... it's sure that Showmasters has no responsabilities in the strike and they will be a victim and they could do anything to change the situation, but we know that, when there is a strike, some letters are coming and others letters are never coming to destination, or with a long delay. And SM could do anything if the post decides to continue the strike.:headscratch:

So... I think if the strike continues and some letters don't arrive to destination, Jola will have more work to know who received their tickets and who did not receive them.:headscratch:

I think that the decision taken by the organisators of a well-know event (which take place in London on 20th and 21st october) is a good decision : they have decided (because of the strike) to send no ticket and there will be a collect point at the entry of the Center. So there is no risk to lose ticket because of these exceptionnel conditions.

But more generally I know that the tickets are always sended 2 weeks before the events, but another event organisator (who i will not quote) begin to send tickets 3 months before the event, so there's time to stop the expedition when there's a strike and we have no obligation to be at home the 2 weeks before the event (it's sometimes difficult when we travel a lot for business). 3 months is very long for an event like Collectormania because Photo sessions are often announced 3 or 4 weeks before the event, but according to me, 2 weeks is to short (It would have sense if when we have several orders, all the orders were sended together, but all the orders are always sended in separate letters, so nothing forbids to send tickets earlier.) I always received all my tickets, but i have always lot of stress and it's not very good to my tired heart :D

It's just my opinion and i hope that what i say will not be badly taken.:YAHOO: It is what takes place somewhere else and it can give good solutions to fight against the strike :firedevil:

Grrrrr :D The time i need to write my roman, Jola has posted :WINCE:

Edited by sebastianillyria

As Collectormania is a non-ticketed event that's easier than having an extra collection point for the photo session tickets. If they did this you'd have to queue twice to get your photo sessions done as some people have already pointed out.

EDITED because of prior poster's edit. :YAHOO:

Edited by Queen_Sindel

thank you AJ Jones....for your comments!

yes this strike is inconvinient for a lot of people,and some people are saying strikes should be illegal...well if you were in a strikers position would you be saying that?....do you think i enjoy striking?....i've just lost 4 days wages in arow....but i've also been told i will be losing ten of thousands in pension pay aswell...should i just lie down and take that....should i be told to work pass my contractual hours for no extra pay and be threatened with a day pay being docked?...this many many other unfair working conditions are being brought and we have a right to stand up against them...the government talk about competition taking work away....but who delivers it the last mile...Royal Mail and at a loss....and because the law says we have too...if all these other companies want to cherrypick all the big bulk mail why don't they deliver it as well...not likely...it would cost too much and profit is more important to them than delivering to the middle of no where...for 32p....and has Royal Mail has to deliver at a loss...what can they do but cull 40,000 jobs...we are suppose to be a public service putting the public first not profit....if Royal Mail wants to run as a buisiness...they should have their hands untied so they can properly compete with other companies...

yes this strike is inconvinient for a lot of people,and some people are saying strikes should be illegal...well if you were in a strikers position would you be saying that?....do you think i enjoy striking?....i've just lost 4 days wages in arow....but i've also been told i will be losing ten of thousands in pension pay aswell...should i just lie down and take that....should i be told to work pass my contractual hours for no extra pay and be threatened with a day pay being docked?...this many many other unfair working conditions are being brought and we have a right to stand up against them...the government talk about competition taking work away....but who delivers it the last mile...Royal Mail and at a loss....and because the law says we have too...if all these other companies want to cherrypick all the big bulk mail why don't they deliver it as well...not likely...it would cost too much and profit is more important to them than delivering to the middle of no where...for 32p....and has Royal Mail has to deliver at a loss...what can they do but cull 40,000 jobs...we are suppose to be a public service putting the public first not profit....if Royal Mail wants to run as a buisiness...they should have their hands untied so they can properly compete with other companies...

sorry to hear whats happening to you Dr, I hope things turn around for you and the other workers soon. Stay strong through such a terrible time. As bad as it is somtimes strikes are the only way to get people to listen.

Yes, and you're punishing the rest of the country for it. The money you are going to be gaining will have been lost by the rest of the country as a result of your actions.

Edited by Psychosis

I got post today....but all of it said TNT at the top. However it was delivered by my usual postie. No idea how that works.

Royal Mail have to deliver it...and at a loss...we have no choice in the matter....TNT and others like will collect and sort in to areas...they then pass it onto Royal Mail...who have to put it into our system and then on to delivery centres....we don't like doing it...but if we don't Postcomm would more than likely fine us millions of pounds...

Yes, and you're punishing the rest of the country for it. The money you are going to be gaining will have been lost by the rest of the country as a result of your actions.

really so how much have you lost today as a result of the strikes,how much are you out of pocket...apart from the phone bill what are the knock on effects for you?