postal strike!

sam1974

perhaps we should job swap for two weeks....you might then understanding of what it's like then....i'll find you a nice big run down estate....none of that suburbs for you!

I mean no disrespect Dr Evil, but I think I'd manage. However, I think it might be a harsh wake up call for you to try the same with mine.... :thumbup:

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lost my sympathy for the strikers to be honest. It's just getting silly now, going on for far too long. I think someone with the power needs to step in and do something about this. I can appreciate why they are striking but it's very out of hand and they shouldn't be allowed to hold up a whole country like this. It's ruining people's lives and some businesses are really suffering because of this.

Edited by Princess83

Interestingly I don't remember such a major public rebellion against strikers for a long time! Usually people are sympathetic and support them - hell, here there were cheers for the firefighters who went on strike and they're a lot more important than postal workers. But I think the general public have been pushed a little too far with this, and that's why you're seeing such a backlash. After all, firefighters striking affects a hell of a lot less people.

Edited by Psychosis

After all, firefighters striking affects a hell of a lot less people.

As I said in a previous post, the Postal Strike is probably the worst sector to happen in because the media want their mail as well. It was always going to be a no-win situation. This strike seems to be getting out of hand now as wildcat strikes are popping up in London and Liverpool by a small militant few. It is a shame that the small minority totally erode the genuine - to them they are - grievances of the majority of postal workers. This is getting to a stage now where the governent need to step in as it isn't called the Royal Mail for nothing.

By the way Psychosis, and I am not having a go, tell the family and friends of a couple and their two children who died in Somerset during the Firefighters Strike due to lack of Green Goddesses to attend the fires, and the added factor that they were so old they didn't fucntion to 10% of a regular fire engine. And there were a fair few other incidents like this that regular firefighters could have prevented.

It is a damn shame that so many people are being affected, but with a little communication with the relevant parties, we ourselves can minise the impact the striking has on our lives. I have already contacted my eBay customers - all were cool - and billing companies for various bills due, and they have been very cooperative. But, it is a shame that we have to go to this length.

Anyway, my good friend Ripper has downloaded a dance mix of the Spider-Pig song and I have to mug him to bluetooth it to me. It is hilarious.

Spider-Pig! Spider-Pig! Does whatever a Pider-Pig does! Can he swing from a web? No he can't, he's a pig Look out, he is a Spider-Pig!

Edited by AJ Jones

I said in my post that firefighters are more important, and that opinion hasn't changed. When I said that firefighters striking affects less people, I meant just that - less people. More people receive mail than have life threatening fires.

I said in my post that firefighters are more important, and that opinion hasn't changed. When I said that firefighters striking affects less people, I meant just that - less people. More people receive mail than have life threatening fires.

As I mentioned in my post, I am in no way having a go at you. I agree with the crux of your views, and the only reason I have shown support for Dr Evil is because a growing number of other posters were making it personal towards him and that was wrong in my opinion.

I do agree 100% that the Firefighters have a far more important job than the Postal Workers. I don't think you will find many who disagree. And yes, more people recieve mail than life threatening fires - thankfully. But I was just calmly commenting about the few people who were directly impacted by life threatening fires due to the striking. It was just an observation and I have no desire to get into a war of words with you. As previously mentioned in this post, I support your grievances..I just do not support the way that some other posters have jumped on the bandwagon so to speak and been downright rude.

By the way, what are you studying at Uni? I am thinking of going back next year for a degree.

Oh, I agree on that. I just think it's been brought into more widespread attention because it affects so many more people, that's all.

And I'm studying CGI & Animatronics... basically, special effects & robotics for film. It's a lot of fun, I love animation!

Oh, I agree on that. I just think it's been brought into more widespread attention because it affects so many more people, that's all.

And I'm studying CGI & Animatronics... basically, special effects & robotics for film. It's a lot of fun, I love animation!

I think that pretty much any other sector could strike, even the Police or Nurses, and they wouldn't get the grief that the Postal Workers have had. The Postal Workers were in a no-win situation as people want their mail. I can see their point as I have had cheques delayed in the post from eBay customers, but I knew stressing wouldn't solve it. Some people have come on here and bitched for the hell of it. I know of one poster, and I won't name them on here, who has come on this string and down right lied. So, people like that do not help what started out as a reasonable debate.

CGI & Animatronics is something a friend of mine is into and works in. He recently started working for Aardman Animations. I am also a closet animation buff. I just need to upgrade the computer to do what I really want.

I need to upgrade mine too :blush: My processor is so old that it won't even run adobe premier... I've been running 3d studio max/pro engineer/Maya on my laptop but that's dead and currently in the shop to be fixed, so I'm in a bit of a pickle!

I need to upgrade mine too :dance: My processor is so old that it won't even run adobe premier... I've been running 3d studio max/pro engineer/Maya on my laptop but that's dead and currently in the shop to be fixed, so I'm in a bit of a pickle!

The peope fixing your laptop are not returning it to you in the post are they?

:blush: I couldn't resist :blush:

Dr Evil Said:

the reason postman get paid to do overtime e.g. covering say another delivery and it get done in their contracted hours is that the majority of postman start earlier than their actual starting time (coming in at 4 instead of 5)...they also work through their meal breaks and sort /deliver faster than they should...the term job and finish....if they finish at 12 on their own delivery with about 2 hours to spare they would then start on their overtime...why wait to 2pm to do it when the important thing is to get the mail out on delivery....Adam Crozier has not once mentioned that this is common practise in nearly every single office in the country...he wants you to believe that we are underworked and making far to much time out of the job.

In response I often work late into the night, over my holidays and lunchtimes etc etc etc.

your own comments argue against you. If you were so worried about the post arriving you would work to rule, not strike.

Dr Evil Said:

the reason postman get paid to do overtime e.g. covering say another delivery and it get done in their contracted hours is that the majority of postman start earlier than their actual starting time (coming in at 4 instead of 5)...they also work through their meal breaks and sort /deliver faster than they should...the term job and finish....if they finish at 12 on their own delivery with about 2 hours to spare they would then start on their overtime...why wait to 2pm to do it when the important thing is to get the mail out on delivery....Adam Crozier has not once mentioned that this is common practise in nearly every single office in the country...he wants you to believe that we are underworked and making far to much time out of the job.

In response I often work late into the night, over my holidays and lunchtimes etc etc etc.

your own comments argue against you. If you were so worried about the post arriving you would work to rule, not strike.

we if worked to rule which was an option....and if at the end of our duty we had not completed our deliveries we were threatened with being docked the pay for that entire day...even other words,work past our contracted hours for nothing....is that what it should come down to?

My mother works at a school and does hours of overtime every day for free *shrugs* It's nothing unique to the PO.

if your mother chooses to work for nothing thats her choice....why should everyone else do the same,and thats not just postman....before you say it!.....do you believe that everyone in any job should put a couple of hours in for nothing each day/week?

Edited by Dr Evil

Because my mother is of the opinion that it's important to do what you signed up to do instead of whining about it and punishing others for her own mis-choice of job. Refusing to do her work would affect others and she has a conscience. Her conscience doesn't' want her to damage others, so she gets along with it.

Edited by Psychosis

Because my mother is of the opinion that it's important to do what you signed up to do instead of whining about it and punishing others for her own mis-choice of job. Refusing to do her work would affect others and she has a conscience. Her conscience doesn't' want her to damage others, so she gets along with it.

see there you go again repeating the same old argument over and over again ....don't just lay this at postman...us today it will be transport next time and civil servants the time after....if your mum chooses to work beyond her hours thats her choice....you are clearly sticking around this thread to stir things up..you said what you had to say...but had to come back and start some more,even though i had taken the advice of AJ Jones to let it go...you couldn't.

Edited by Dr Evil

Why am I the one posting to stir things up? You are repeating your point, and might I add that your point is the one that is opposing most of the opinions on here. You are guilty of everything you are whining at me for. If you wanted to let go - let go! You haven't, you don't get to take the moral high ground here.

Why do you believe that you have the right to repeat your point over and over, to post, and to stick up for yourself against the things that people are denying you - yet we don't?

Edited by Psychosis

My mother works at a school and does hours of overtime every day for free *shrugs* It's nothing unique to the PO.

if your mother chooses to work for nothing thats her choice....why should everyone else do the same,and thats not just postman....before you say it!.....do you believe that everyone in any job should put a couple of hours in for nothing each day/week?

It's not about doing a couple of hours for nothing. It's about performing.

My "contracted" hours are 37.5 hours over 5 days. However, over an average week, I probably do closer to 55 - in some cases more. This isn't unusual. If you choose to take a job where you expect to have your coat on at 16:59, then frankly you also have to accept that a) it's not going to pay as well as it might, and b ) your career path is going to be limited. Certainly I wouldn't hire anyone who took the attitude "it's 5pm and I'm off". I might accept it from a PA, but for a more serious role I would expect it to be *taken* seriously.

Regarding Psychosis's mum, being a teacher is a serious role - it's not about choice, it's about taking your responsibilities seriously. Again, a teacher is an example of someone who, frankly, should earn far more than a postman or a train driver. By and large this isn't the case.

Edited by MikeDonovan

Just to point out...

Psychosis never said their mum was a teacher, she could equally be a TA (who in my opinion don't get paid enough for the work they do), caretaker (ditto) or one of a number of any other jobs in education.

Not stirring things, I would genuinely like to know whether Dr Evil works in one of the two offices in London on wild cat strikes at the moment, and if so is he one of the strikers...

UPDATE ON NEXT WEEKS PLANNED STRIKES

A High Court Injunction has deemed next weeks planned postal strikes as illegal. The Royal Mail was granted an injunction banning the CWU from legally going ahead with the strike action. It was stated that it was done mainly because the recent 2 days strikes this week and last were carried out by the CWU without putting it to a vote with it's members.

However, the CWU has returned to the negotiating table with the Royal Mail in a bid to settle the dispute.

Just thought I would let you all know this confirmed and legally official news.

>>>Psychosis: Have you contacted firms for Holiday Placements as my mate at Aardman Animations says that they regularly have the proverbial paid interns.

Peacw and Love People.

You friendly neighbourhood LabCoat..

AJ

Has anyone actually answered my question! Are they gonna post the tickets out earlier so they get to us in time?

Yes, Jola has answered already. I'm going to pin her info in a separate topic, it's very easy to overlook.

As a general rule, yes the tickets are sent out approximately two weeks before the event itself. There are no plans to change this because of the Postal Strikes. Unfortunately I don't think we can avoid the strikes as they're continuing next week as well - so we just have to hope they clear the back log as soon as they can.

If the tickets don't get to you in time, bring a print out of your order and take this to the photo sessions you have booked. It will serve as a replacement ticket.

It's not about doing a couple of hours for nothing. It's about performing.

My "contracted" hours are 37.5 hours over 5 days. However, over an average week, I probably do closer to 55 - in some cases more. This isn't unusual. If you choose to take a job where you expect to have your coat on at 16:59, then frankly you also have to accept that a) it's not going to pay as well as it might, and b ) your career path is going to be limited.

Five years ago I would have agreed whole-heartedly; now I'm a little more cautious. I've been used to working long hours, silly hours for years, partly because I enjoyed what I was doing, and partly through professional pride in doing a damn fine job. And also because putting in those hours in some circumstances meant that we could come up with something of great quality in a relatively short period of time, which would impress the hell out our clients and blow our opposition out of the water. And whilst I participated in the rewards that brought, that was fine. For various reasons I ended up moving to another company who had the same sort of official 35 hour week and the same no overtime policy, but were pretty upfront in letting you know that overtime was expected and people who put in the hours would be rewarded come bonus-time and would also expect to see decent career progression. No problems there, I thought, fine by me. After three years of something like 800 unpaid hours a year, and various corporate excuses, I'd made no progress, despite consistently excellent appraisals, (and neither had any of my other colleagues progressed), and my total bonuses for those three years were a five figure sum; 247 pounds and 58 pence. (Yeah, that's about ten pence an hour for all the extra work I put in). The directors, meanwhile were doing very nicely. I came to the conclusion that basically top-level management was using everybody else, and the whole promises of career progression and big bonuses were just so much equine excrement to enable them to get the work done with about 40% less staff. This is not uncommon; I know several people in different companies who can tell similar stories of nasty management cultures which exploit people's professional pride and enthusiasm with vague and usually unsubstantiated suggestions of future reward. It's a lot of "jam tomorrow", and if the jam ever does arrive at all it's not a juicy big jar of Bon Maman, but one of those icky little plastic mini-tubs you get in cheap hotel breakfasts.

Similarly, I have a good friend who is a very successful investment banker, but his new boss is a "face time" freak, who doesn't believe anybody is doing a good job unless they're virtually living in the office morning noon and night. Bizarrely, he even seems to rate hours attended as more important than things I would consider vaguely more relevant to a bank like how profitable anybody's deals are, or how much they've actually accomplished; just being in the office and appearing to do something seems to be the important thing.

Certainly I wouldn't hire anyone who took the attitude "it's 5pm and I'm off". I might accept it from a PA, but for a more serious role I would expect it to be *taken* seriously.

But since most of this thread has been saying how the job of a postie is pretty lowly and unskilled and not meriting much in the way of pay or progression, surely we should at least allow them to work strictly to the clock rather than slating them for not wanting to do unpaid overtime? :YAHOO:

Regarding Psychosis's mum, being a teacher is a serious role - it's not about choice, it's about taking your responsibilities seriously. Again, a teacher is an example of someone who, frankly, should earn far more than a postman or a train driver. By and large this isn't the case.

"In my world, teachers get paid more than baseball players" said a wise man once. Ahhh, if only it were so...

Interestingly I don't remember such a major public rebellion against strikers for a long time! Usually people are sympathetic and support them

I think one factor might be the rise of the internet; ten years ago, you didn't have eBay, and people did a lot more shopping in person. Now, there's everybody who's selling on eBay sending stuff, plus all the stuff that people buy from Amazon, play.com, hmv.com etc. And they're all frustrated as heck by the strike. Ten years ago pretty much all I got by post were bills, bank statements and birthday cards. Now? I think I'm waiting on about 5 CDs, a DVD and a book.