Oh my god what possed them...

Calumn

What in hell posses a 30 year old man to come in a star-trek suit, or a 45 year old woman to come as a Klingon, or all those other costumes. The hobbits were OK, obviously taking the ****, but the others made me cringed as I walked past them. If it was any of you, shoot yourself. Now.

If you thought those who came in costume to LFACC were "taking the ****" then I suppose you shouldn't go to any BIG cons like another event (largest in North America) or a WorldCon! At these sorts of cons, it's the folks who DON'T dress up who look strange and are the odd ones out! Many of these cons have costume contests and these costumes are extremely well done. Some of them take months to make.

Don't believe me? Take a look at some pics a friend took at the most recent another event in September:

http://www.mindspring.com/~tluthman/dragoncon2004/

My personal favourites are Stormtrooper daycare, Beaker from the Muppets, and the Ball Creature.

Besides, it's kinda cool to be standing in the queue at McDonald's or wherever with a bunch of folks dressed as Klingons in full battle gear complete with weaponry. :wub:

For the record, I didn't wear a costume, but I have in the past. I was, however, wearing a T-shirt that read "Resistance is Futile (if <1 ohm)", a bit of homage to both the Borg and science geeks everywhere.

To the person dressed as Rogue, were you in the lobby of the Quality Hotel this morning? If so I walked right past you... great costume! :D

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What in hell posses a 30 year old man to come in a star-trek suit, or a 45 year old woman to come as a Klingon, or all those other costumes. The hobbits were OK, obviously taking the ****, but the others made me cringed as I walked past them. If it was any of you, shoot yourself. Now.

If you thought those who came in costume to LFACC were "taking the ****" then I suppose you shouldn't go to any BIG cons like another event (largest in North America) or a WorldCon! At these sorts of cons, it's the folks who DON'T dress up who look strange and are the odd ones out! Many of these cons have costume contests and these costumes are extremely well done. Some of them take months to make.

Don't believe me? Take a look at some pics a friend took at the most recent another event in September:

http://www.mindspring.com/~tluthman/dragoncon2004/

My personal favourites are Stormtrooper daycare, Beaker from the Muppets, and the Ball Creature.

Besides, it's kinda cool to be standing in the queue at McDonald's or wherever with a bunch of folks dressed as Klingons in full battle gear complete with weaponry. :wub:

For the record, I didn't wear a costume, but I have in the past. I was, however, wearing a T-shirt that read "Resistance is Futile (if <1 ohm)", a bit of homage to both the Borg and science geeks everywhere.

To the person dressed as Rogue, were you in the lobby of the Quality Hotel this morning? If so I walked right past you... great costume! :D

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww *whines*

i wanted to go Another Event... they all look so cool...

i am defo trying to go to san diego next year....

damn it.... oh an my fav fella was there at Another Event...

V xx

Is the problem here that the Star Trek Costumes were not very good or just that fact people were wearing them?

At collectormaina 6 there were 2 guys in Star Trek Uniform walking round. Would you say they shouldn't have bothered?

How about if you knew that thier uniforms were perfect and as good as the ones from the actual show?

In fact the two were look alikes for Captain Picard and Commander Riker - very good ones at that!

Would you still say they should be ashamed of themselves?

Is the problem here that the Star Trek Costumes were not very good or just that fact people were wearing them?

At collectormaina 6 there were 2 guys in Star Trek Uniform walking round. Would you say they shouldn't have bothered?

How about if you knew that thier uniforms were perfect and as good as the ones from the actual show?

In fact the two were look alikes for Captain Picard and Commander Riker - very good ones at that!

Would you still say they should be ashamed of themselves?

They were the guys I was talking about. And Picard was actually a Patrick Stewart lookielike.

Also? another event. OMG I am so there.

Just wowsers!!!

Ooooh some costumes are so well done. I love walking into MacDonalds and seeing aload of Klingons and Hobbits. It rocks!

At C5 I was so scared I would set off shop alarms with my chainmail! It was so funny!

Mate you need to chill out its called having a bit of a laugh and enjoying yourself!! If you dont like it dont do it, but its up to other people what they wanna do so stop being a boring prat! :lol:

costumes are cool. I've never had the guts myself, and it would just be a pain to go round for hours like that, plus I don't think my crew t-shirt would fit over anything like that, but I always think that people look great. There were some awesome costumes at c6....like those ones from Dogma! Amazing!

I was a hobbit!

And Guinevere today!

Yep I'm lame!

haha!

Just finished removing the warpaint! Costumers rock! My love and hugs to them!Especially babyFrodo, Lara and all others that I saw over the weekend. :wub:

Personally wanted to keep a few of those 'Aliens' Corporals *waves at Hudson and co* :lol::wub::wub::wub:

I dressed up as a gryffindor student at C6 and it was great fun! one or two comments from people at the other side of the centre MK, but they were so funny it made my day! especially the.....eeeeuuurrrgggg from these kids where we turned round and said EEEEUUURRRRRGGGG. It was reallly funny!

I love people in costumes! its great! :lol:

Everyone has their own opinions (obviously), but what is honestly wrong in dressing up? People wouldn't do it if they didn't want to. At the end of the day they aren't harming anybody, they're having fun, and probably to an extent where they're making other peoples days a bit more enjoyable.

Costumes aren't discouraged, i certainly knew there would be people in costume there. You only live once, so why not dress up? I can't imagine someone in a costume literally making you cringe though, i still don't understand it bothered you enough that you remembered to post it on the forum.

The events are for everyone, and you're going to get a variety of different people attenting them, and some will be in costume. Yes, you have your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but whereas you and others may have felt uncomfortable around them thats life, not everyone is going to like everything anyone does.

I think i've babbled on for long enough :lol:

I think its great that people go in costumes, its something I wouldnt do but I love seeing them around especially the stargate team, they could be on the show they are that good, even the Atlantis guests were impressed and I heard David shout over to Rachel "wrong show" when she was having her photo taken with them, they were certainly enjoying themselfs and hope to see them around at C8 or LFCC3.

I was a hobbit!

And Guinevere today!

Yep I'm lame!

haha!

Just finished removing the warpaint! Costumers rock! My love and hugs to them!Especially babyFrodo, Lara and all others that I saw over the weekend. :wub:

Personally wanted to keep a few of those 'Aliens' Corporals *waves at Hudson and co* :unsure::lol::lol::o

Where you the one getting an autograph from Simon Pegg when Jonothan Frakes tried to get you over to his queue and you said you didnt know who he was? If so it was rather amusing I thought!

As a generally shy person to speak to (tho' not afraid of the written word) I made the decision to make a costume last May ready for the autumn con season. I have found it to be a real ice breaker and have made lots of new friends on the forum thru' it. I have had interesting chats with guests about it (lets face it you need an icebreaker with someone shy!) and Barbara March even told me of for not being a Klingon :angel: (I was Van Helsing).

The first time I wore it I was petrified!! It took 5 months and several hundred quid (and I'm still making adjustments) of effort and I've not had a bad word said.

Still the whole point of a forum is debate so if the likes of me have made an impression, then we have (in a way) succeeded.

What a sad world it would be if we were all alike, there would be none of this type event for a start!!

Love a debate me :huh:

Sunday

I saw many people in costume and amire them greatly. To mention a few - Thunderbirds - X-men (storm and rouge - man those costumes were tight :angel: ) - Indianna Jones - a Witch (not sure what from) - Some fans from Stargate (spoke to them , and yes they are normal people) - fans from Startrek - and some guy who had taken great pains to make himself look like a skeleton (well his face) - Curiosity got the better of us and we asked who he was representing, his answer was "no one in particular, just thought it would look good".

If it wasn't for the fact I would ruin his make up I would have shaken his hand - Top Notch my friend and if we ever meet in the flesh (excuse the pun) I'll buy you a beer.

I suppose anyone who says they don't dress up either never go to fancy dress parties or go in a suit and say "I'm a manager"

Thanks for the compliments on the stargate team and the Colonial Marines, I was part of both groups :)

The level and quality of costuming is going up and up and Im certainly glad to see it on the rise as one of those costumed idiots.

Just a little bit of background on this weekends costuming from my point of veiw. The Colonial Marines were there as part of the Aliens props Display and as such we were around to answer questions about the display and also to act as security for it as most of those pieces are irreplaceable.

Most of the SG team members were also members of the UKG. If youve never seen the full UKG in action then the loss is yours. We also raise alot of money for our choosen charity, Children in Need. Which we couldnt do if we didnt have some very good costumes that the members have spent alot of time and effort putting together.

We do what we do for FUN, and if we can bring a smile to anyones face, especially a child then that makes it all worth it. Just because some people are over opinionated and have probably forgotten the meaning of the word fun doesnt make it any less worthwhile.

Ive met loads of people and had good times because the costuming gave us something initially to chat about than I ever would if Id just been in normal clothing. Point in case this weekend with the Thunderbirds (awesome Captain Jack you do there Scott Tracy) :angel:

Phil

Ps just as a side bonus being in costume can prove handy in getting photos with the guests. This weekend we got several SGA cast as well as Chris Judge to pose for photos as well as Rico Ross, Jeanette Goldstein, Mark Rolston and Collette Hiller too over at the Aliens Display.

Excuse me, some us happen to be sane and like to entertain kids not idiots like you. I happened to be dressed as Rogue today and i had lots of nice comments from staff, public and stars. Keep your stupid nasty comments to yourself :D

I MET YOU!!!!!!!!!!

I LOOOOOVEEEEEE YOU COSTUME!!!!!!!

It's all in good fun!!! I think that if you're gonna dress up, then go all the way with it!

I was doing Jonathon Frakes' cash :)

Crazy girl with the panda guarding her precious tickets... grrr

MWAH!

xxx

Kate, aka... Mrs Nick Frost.

GOD u are just like my sister.

are they doing any harm?!?!?!?!?!

they ain't hurting you and have you ever thought they were havin a laugh as well?

wats the big problem with it? is it just cus they're past 25?

deal with it as you don't own the world (or conventions) and if everyone had your point ov view the world wud be a big pile ov crap.........

just leave them alone, and if it bothers you that much DON'T GO!!!!!!! :D:D

GOD u are just like my sister.

are they doing any harm?!?!?!?!?!

they ain't hurting you and have you ever thought they were havin a laugh as well?

wats the big problem with it? is it just cus they're past 25?

deal with it as you don't own the world (or conventions) and if everyone had your point ov view the world wud be a big pile ov crap.........

just leave them alone, and if it bothers you that much DON'T GO!!!!!!! :unsure::angry:

here here

each to their own. I wouldn't have got a kiss off Stephanie Romanov at a doo if it wasnt for the case that I was wearing only hot pants and a feather boa.... :firedevil: