A Big Thank You to Showmasters

I wanted to say thank you to Showmasters today for giving me the opportunity to meet and have my photo taken with Gillian Anderson at Olympia today. It really was a dream come true to meet my childhood sweetheart :-). A day I will never, ever forget.

Thanks a million

Well I also want too say a thanks to the guy in red t- shirt Who also had a mustasch :-) I was at the Jeri signing and it seemed like she wanted to personalize but was not allowed by the staff. Seriously... Thats not ok. If I remembered correctly you have written before that you wont keep guests from personalize... Anyway. He checked this. And eventually i got my personilization :-) so.... BIG THANKS whoever you are. Ill thank you again tomorrow.

Well I also want too say a thanks to the guy in red t- shirt Who also had a mustasch :-) I was at the Jeri signing and it seemed like she wanted to personalize but was not allowed by the staff. Seriously... Thats not ok. If I remembered correctly you have written before that you wont keep guests from personalize... Anyway. He checked this. And eventually i got my personilization :-) so.... BIG THANKS whoever you are. Ill thank you again tomorrow.

When was this? because I went to see Jeri immediately after getting my Gillan autos, pretty much as soon as she'd sat down really and there was no personalising, not that I was surprised. Gillian was personalising all day though and still managing to get through lots of people but she was very quick at writing.

Was still great to finally meet Jeri though and as i always say, I consider personalisation a bonus.

I really enjoyed the majority of the day especially getting to finally meet Gillian Anderson and Jeri Ryan, and also meeting Hayden Panettiere again. Just sad that Laura Vandervoort cancelled. Still, that saved me from any more pain of the photo distribution! :clap::stretcher:

Got to say the Gillian Anderson crew area were amazing today - never seen such a 'big' guest area handle the crowds so well. Gillian was lovely and the whole expercise was a perfect example of how personalising, photos from a distance and a quick chat with a mega guest should be done.#

Well done guys! :clap:

• Like 1

Indeed, thank you Showmasters for all the hard work you put into this and can only imagine the organisation needed to make these events happen.

My biggest thanks certainly goes out to all the crew who work their asses off throughout the day dealing with all the good and bad...it certainly can't be easy. So THANK YOU.

• Moderators

Indeed, thank you Showmasters for all the hard work you put into this and can only imagine the organisation needed to make these events happen.

My biggest thanks certainly goes out to all the crew who work their asses off throughout the day dealing with all the good and bad...it certainly can't be easy. So THANK YOU.

Your biggest thanks? :P

I did have a couple of issues (noted in another thread) but I do want to say a big thank you for the crew making my day easier especially with giving me an extra help pass so my son could enjoy the day without too many meltdowns (which were minimal)! As a result, I got to meet all the guests I wanted to meet and my son was very well behaved when I needed him to be!

Have to admit, despite the negativity outside of this thread, I was really impressed at how well today went. Am a bit nervous about tomorrow with my photoshoots and tight overlaps.

Crew - No complaints, only compliments. Big thanks to them for helping the event to run smooth. The crew member directing the queue within Karl Urban's signing area allowed me to put my bag in a corner whilst I waited for my turn. This helped me a lot.

Bring on tomorrow.

Jeri didn't personalise very first thing, but she did in the afternoon when I went back with my photo shoot pic

Darn :( Usually there's more chance when you go early as they often try it and see how quickly the queues move. Oh well, still got two really nice 10x8s with lovely signatures on from a very lovely lady and the chance for a brief conversation.

Gillian was personalising? Drat! I got to see her very early and even though I asked she just signed her name. I thought she might not have heard me but didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable by pushing it so didn't ask again. Still, I got to see her, speak to her and received a lovely, lovely smile so am trying not to be a little disappointed (and it's working *g*).

Gillian was personalising? Drat! I got to see her very early and even though I asked she just signed her name. I thought she might not have heard me but didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable by pushing it so didn't ask again. Still, I got to see her, speak to her and received a lovely, lovely smile so am trying not to be a little disappointed (and it's working *g*).

Think I was about 5th in line for Gillian. When I paid I was aksed if I wanted it personalised and I expressed my surprise they were doing it. The lady wrote my name on the back of the ticket (as usually happens) and that was that. Same when I went back about 2:30 with the talk print.

Pity I missed out on Jeri doing it, bit annoyed about hearing they started doing it later on but I can't really be unhappy meeting such a lovely person.

Must have been just behind me then, I was the 4th to get her auto this morning. Was surprised she was personalising too. She even asked if I wanted it on all items :smile:

Must have been just behind me then, I was the 4th to get her auto this morning. Was surprised she was personalising too. She even asked if I wanted it on all items :smile:

Must have been just behind you then as she wasn't even there when I went in and I was at the end of the first row in front of the table which meant I couldn't take a photo either :( She wrote very quickly but clearly and really seemed to be getting through lots of people without it feeling overly rushed and seemed really nice and friendly too.

I even got an extra long hug in the photoshoot as Malcolm paused to have a drink and she commented on how lucky I was LOL! Certainly wasn't complaining.

I second the big thanks to all the crew. Lots of hassles around and about the hall for them to deal with, though i try not to be one of them :angel: but never a snappy retort all day and nearly always a smile even at 6.45pm handing out the Adam Baldwin photos, even if they were possibly not feeling the same way inside

I have mentioned elsewhere that I think if this event is getting bigger it needs more staffing somehow though I accept there is no easy solution to that - you cannot just invent people ( :headscratch: ah that is the solution maybe - alien clones of DavidB and Too Tall?).

But the staff/volunteers that are on hand have all been working their butts off today for hours and hours. It's hard enough standing in queues that long, imagine having to spend that long actually trying to police/organise them!!

And I will never ever forget having had the opportunity to meet Gillian after 18 years of hoping since those heady days of September 1994 on BBC2 when I had no bags developing under my eyes and a full head of hair lol

In the end if this event wasn't so big, we wouldn't have just met the one person (along with DD for next year obviously... :whistling:) that we all wanted to meet!

I'm exhausted, unable to sleep, have more aches and pains than I can name from today's queuing and very very very happy. :clap: God help me when the adrenalin finally wears off...

Edited by Sir Jim

Thank you Showmasters for bringing such amazing guests to us. All the Games of Thrones people I met today were lovely and I can't wait to be watching it again.

Hallie Todd was lovely and I'll be visiting her again tomorrow as well as hunky Nick Lea!

Love the venue, very spread out, maybe move some of the cosplay stalls nearer the front so there's not so much of bottlenecks in the aisles. Possibly approach a deodorant brand as a sponsor for sample sizes to give out to guests as i'm sure they'll be needed throughout the day.

thank you for the throne photoshoot, very fun to do and a great memento!

The crew I met are all lovely, hard working and try to be as helpful as they can. thank you for making today such a non hassle and full of fun memories!

A very BIG individual thanks to Jason :)

Back in January I didn't know if I'd even be coming to this event as guests didnt really appeal to me, no one that really jumped out as someone I'd like to meet. Then in February with the Big Guest Announcement and how that turned out to be BY far the biggest Guest that could be revealed was just phenomenal on so many levels - in fact as I said to a Friend of mine yesterday "If you'd have told me last year that Gillian Anderson would be signing X-Files, I'd have laughed in your face."

Its no secret that I have kept an almost contant eye on this forum since February hoping that we wouldnt see "Guest cancellation Gillian Anderson" I know at one point she was scheduled to star in "I'll follow you down" and I thought "Oh crap!" this may be that this wont happen with Gillian now until I was assured that her schedule wouldn't affect her appearance here.

So for near enough five agonising months yesterday came, and I cannot say I was surprised with the massive turn out, when my Friends and I had got there there was a modest amount of people (as we came by car I came in full Mulder cosplay) at one point Jason appointed me crowd control duty (I do work for the Federal Bureau of Investigation you know) which meant saying "You line by this bin here." in the time we were waiting to get in, I saw a number of Friends and its always nice to see familiar faces. by 8:30 everyone knew where they were going to be - come 9:02am we were more or less in.

My very first port of call, the thing that was of the utmost importance to me was getting Gillians VQT (its ironic that my lucky number is 7 as the number ticket I got was "77") - more on that in a bit. We did a quick "Brisk walk around" to get VTs for Mitch and Adam Baldwin then I got into the Photo Shoot Queue for Gillian, when she appeared she seemed very happy to see us. When we were going in my first impressions of Gillian were "Awww she's Lovely." and when it was my turn I was greeted with that lovely beautiful smile we've become so acquainted with her arm around me. CLICK! The photo was in the can.

After that I had enough time to go to Zach Galligans table, he signed a few things for me and he remembered me from Twitter (so after that he wouldn't call me Richard but King Richard so that was very nice indeed :) afterwards got into the photoshoot queue and did a quick costume change (that is I took off the top half of my Mulder cosplay, jacket, tie, shirt as I had my Gremlins tshirt on under it, got out my Gizmo with his ickle box, saw Chloe (as she was crewing for Zach) and Zach greeted me again. There was enough time for me to ask Zach to hold one side of Gizmo (at that point he was holding his glasses so with a quick bit of improv he held the side of Gizmo - its also interesting how people saw Gizmos in the queue and would suddenly go "Awww." you just can't help but be touched by the little Mogwai :) Once out of the Photoshoot it was a bit of reorganisation as I put back on my Mulder cosplay for the Mitch Pileggi and Nicholas Lea talk.

The Mitch Pilleggi and Nicholas Lea talk was very much a crowd pleaser, (before I went in I shook Jasons hand and told him just how very grateful I was for him getting Gillian Anderson), there were many kinds of questions, and I chose to ask:

"How does it feel to be reunited with Gillian Anderson?"

Mitch then went into full giggly schoolboy mode and told us how he loved hearing "Gilly" call him "Sir." LOL :) And how that he had such a crush on her.

There were other questions asked and then... It happened, for a paid talk some French guy got up and had his moment of glory when he went up to the desk and from what I saw got a Photo of him with Mitch and Nicholas - there is a time and a place for that, and its not on my or anyone elses dime! - Apart from that and a bit of a problem with Nicholas's mic it was a fab talk, I got chatting with DavidB afterwards and as we walked out of the hall I almost bumped into Mitch - yikes!

For half an hour I had time to kill and a low VQT so I desperately (as Mulder) was in pursuit of my Friends as they were coming with me to meet Gillian as well, and couldnt find them anywheres so if I seemed in a mad dash or anything to anyone I apologise as I was very concerned about where my Friends were, the line for Gillians queue was going quite quick, once inside I looked at the pics and had to choose two that I liked the most of, by this time my Friends did show up and the guy behind the desk said it would be ok if I called them in, that my stuff would be safe so I quickly went to say "Its ok, you can come in." (They had vqts as well by the way so its not that any rules were broken).

I was asked by the Guy how many, and I said "Five please." took out the money that I had saved up for, and enough people know how I had decided how many I was going to go for. I was also very surprised that personalisations were allowed!!!!!!

Things were even better when I got to her desk and had that smile and warm greeting (part of me can't quite remember what I said but I know it was something along the lines of "Thank you for doing this." I couldnt believe that I was putting my (very special and at that point not touched by anyone else) X-Files DVD Boxset, X-Files Series Boxset, X-Files I Want To Believe and two X-Files 10x8s in front of Gillian Anderson, she was very lovely with signing the first boxset, I asked her to personalise the X-Files Series Boxset, she asked if I wanted the X-Files I Want To Believe personalised as well I of course said yes and one of the 10x8s as well. What a moment that was :)

Afterwards I came out smiling and somewhat overwhelmed, for me it was like Christmas! Got chatting to a very lovely Forum Friend who (in his words) "Thats the most expensive photo I've taken." as I got all the stuff signed by Gillian all together for an impromptu photo, afterwards it was all carefully but with haste all wrapped up in the bubble wrap that helped protect my pieces. I couldnt help but hug my Friend, needed to express my utter happiness :)

On the way to the Mitch Pileggi photoshoot a few people asked for a photo of me, thats when I brought out the other prop, a bag of Sunflower Seeds lol :)

The Mitch Pileggi shoot was quite long when I'd got to it and this snaked around quite a bit, Mitch loved what I had, the badge, the ID etc and that made it worth it.

Afterwards I had a bit of a sit down to rest my feet but I was soon on them again when I saw Catwoman ;) There was also Irene (The Domme) Adler from Sherlock cosplayer too - it turned out ironically we were sitting next to each other at the Gillian Talk.

The line for the Gillian Talk was extremely long and who'd be surprised, it was practically standing room only, and what a talk it was...

I deliberately veered away from anything X-Files and asked "Which other literary character, Dickensian or otherwise would you like to portray." there were so many people there she had to ask where I was lol. Different other questions were asked as well, things went smoothly and happy... And THATS when it happened.

The question I thought wouldn't happen, the ONE QUESTION that we had spoken about on the Gillian Anderson thread and the ONE QUESTION that will see talks like this possibly being sodding monitored and thus ruining it for those who have GENUINE questions we'd like to ask ourselves. And it was the age old, asked a number of bloody times before, and in a PAID TALK no less:

"Can I have a hug."

Like, OH MY GOD! It took everything in me to not boo the girl. Seriously, if you want a hug so badly ask Gillian before or after a PAID TALK that people have PAID to see, Gillian rightfully said no and mentioned she'd been asked before for hugs, and this Girl STILL had the mic? It wasn't taken away from her? And then came the "Please? Please? Please?" wow. just wow.

One thing I found with Gillian was her dry sense of humour, and how she was with the audience, the reference to the amount of dead bodies in the series run was very much a crowd pleaser and you could see she loved poking fun at it. I enjoyed seeing this talk and Gillian wowed us all.

Afterwards, there was a dash to meet Ke Huy (I asked him what line he preferred from Temple Of Doom) Quan, then Martin (YES SENSEI!!!) Kove who gave my Karate Kid Boxset more than I I paid for lol., "NO MERCY/SWEEP THE LEG" lol.

Nicholas Lea, Mitch Pileggi and Adam Baldwin were all lovely, for some reason Adam was standing up and was listening to music :) He was a lovely guy as was both Nicholas and Mitch.

There were a few last minute "Hellos and Hugs Goodbyes" all of which were with Friends I've made here at SM events. Yesterdya for me was a day I'll never forget and by far the best con I've been to thanks to SM.

The countdown was really worth it. :) obviously (in my opinion) because of Gillian Anderson

• Like 3