New Attendees advice thread

Raylenth

That is good advice to remember.  It's easy to get lost in our excitement to meet these people we have admired and it's always very valuable to keep in mind that they are only human.  I know a lot of people say the guests should act and put on a front but they go through life and it's experiences like we do.  I have seen and heard of guests being at events when they are ill, going through family worries (Because they didn't want to cancel and disappoint anyone) ect.  So just remember if the guest doesn't live up to what you expect there may well be a reason for it.

Usually the guests are all very nice, but remember they can have bad days as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Raylenth said:

The prints range in style and obviously the mug designs are specific to each guest 

[...]

Unfortunately I am only mid way through photographing my collection so I don't have the rest to share.  The one we got at the last Sherlocked is in my opinion absolutely gorgeous and it's the first one I've used to be signed by the guests I already have on my other items.  If I get a chance in the next few days I'll photograph and post it.

Since you were discussing the limited prints included in Diamond Passes, and I was also thinking that they might be a more “exclusive” option to get signed, can I ask you a few additional questions?

How big are the prints generally? I can’t really tell from the pics, are those A4, A3 or other? What are they made of, are they glossy posters, cardboards, or does it change from event to event?

2 hours ago, R4wly97 said:

@Raylenth Ok thanks for this great advice I will be sure to check regularly ^_^

This question I’m not sure if anyone will be able to answer but I said I’d ask anyway, what is Peter like?

This goes for all guests. Just be polite, respect their wishes and like it is said earlier...they are just like me and you, have their ups and downs. Dont expect spending many seconds as there wont be time, there are many of us who wants to meet and greet their favourites. Just follow the instructions from the crew and my advice is also to look at what your fellow con visitor infront of you do, how they act. I learned alot from others. If there are restrictions you will be informed by signs and from the crew. I have never had a bad experience with a guest, most are as curious about you as you are about them. Some talk more than others. And never be afraid to ask, it never hurts to ask politely. There will be queues, take the chance to talk to others while waiting, makes time fly plus you will make new friends, remember we are all there of the same reason. And last..enjoy yourself! LFCC is a fantastic weekend, and Olympia is a great place and the crew is fantastic, always smiles and always helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nerd Who said:

Since you were discussing the limited prints included in Diamond Passes, and I was also thinking that they might be a more “exclusive” option to get signed, can I ask you a few additional questions?

How big are the prints generally? I can’t really tell from the pics, are those A4, A3 or other? What are they made of, are they glossy posters, cardboards, or does it change from event to event?

That's OK Nerd, ask what you want.  They are A3 but that's all I can tell you at the moment as I can't remember the quality of what it's printed on.  They are decent though, it's not flimsy.  I think the 2 I posted are slightly glossy, but not like a photo would be.

Edited by Raylenth
  • Thanks 1

Oh I've just remembered.

Personalisations.  For the truly big names there's less chance they will personalise when they are very busy, particularly on the Saturday.  If a guest isn't personalizing you will normally be told this in the queue.  It's not automatic that they won't personalise but expect the big names to not be doing it and if they are and you want it then yay!

But the reason I'm mentioning this is if you want your picture personalised it pays to be prepared.  Bring some post it notes with you and pre print your first name on it in either capitals or clearly written regular case.  Accents, noise in the venue, unusual spellings can contribute to the guest writing your name wrong if you ask for a personalisation so the best way to deal with this is to have a nice clearly written post it that you can stick on the front of your item, then it's all clear for the guest.

The crew usually offer this service in the queue as well so don't stress if you forget to do it but bringing them already done saves the hassle of getting so nervous you forget how to spell your own name for the crew member to write down.  Yes that did happen :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

Urgh.... I got called Jeremy by 2 different people at 2 different cons because of this! :chair::thumbdown:

It's your fault for not talking proper!

The guests can't understand all those high pitched squeaks.

Edited by Raylenth

12 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

I have no power to do that ;) so do not stress.

That doesn't mean certain others don't have a twisted sense of humour and "Have a laugh"... ;)

Edited by wjbleming