Weekend Travel - Tube closures

I've not seen anything on this posted so apologies if there is another thread/topic but people may find this useful

Advance warning : Travel - tube line closure. For those who haven't already noticed.

For the weekend of LFCC, both the District Line and Circle Line are subject to closures on the Saturday and Sunday with the District Line shut from Embankment to Earls Court and the Circle Line from Aldgate to Edgware Road.

So use either the Piccadilly Line to Earls Court then District Line to Kensington Olympia (or District Line from Earls Court to West Brompton then overground to Kensington Olympia if you are there before the district line spur from Earls Court starts operating) or Overground from Shepherd's Bush or West Brompton to Kensington Olympia. Or Piccadilly Line to Barons Court and then walk from there

The TFL website has a useful journey planner - just make sure you change the date to the correct day.

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/

• Like 8

Actually, going by your post, i could just get the Piccadilly Line from kings x to Earls Court then change at earls court to the District Line to Kensington Olympia? Is that correct? If so i could just do that and save walking.

I've not seen anything on this posted so apologies if there is another thread/topic but people may find this useful

Advance warning : Travel - tube line closure. For those who haven't already noticed.

For the weekend of LFCC, both the District Line and Circle Line are subject to closures on the Saturday and Sunday with the District Line shut from Embankment to Earls Court and the Circle Line from Aldgate to Edgware Road.

So use either the Piccadilly Line to Earls Court then District Line to Kensington Olympia (or District Line from Earls Court to West Brompton then overground to Kensington Olympia if you are there before the district line spur from Earls Court starts operating) or Overground from Shepherd's Bush or West Brompton to Kensington Olympia. Or Piccadilly Line to Barons Court and then walk from there

The TFL website has a useful journey planner - just make sure you change the date to the correct day.

Actually, going by your post, i could just get the Piccadilly Line from kings x to Earls Court then change at earls court to the District Line to Kensington Olympia? Is that correct? If so i could just do that and save walking.

Yes, though the short District Line 'spur' from Earls Court to Olympia only runs on Saturday and Sunday with trains running only every 20 minutes but is only a 3 min journey and would save a walk

• Like 1

Kensington Olympia main station (not underground) is still ok though?

It's effectively the same station, just different platforms, you come out the same way and you can't miss Olympia, it's the massive building opposite and I am sure there will be plenty of signage, normally is for events here showing you which way to go in, which queue etc.

• Like 1

Thanks alot, i dont visit london often, usually just for this con so always find the tubes and were to change abit daunting. thank you for the help. So to clarify, just for saturday and sunday of the event, ill be okay getting the piccadilly line to earls court and changing to district to kensington olympia? What would then be the best and easiest route for the friday as ill be attending friday too, again coming from Kings X.

And excuse me being an idiot but what do you mean 'spur'? i dont mind waiting 20minutes for the district to olympia on the sat and sun if its only a few minutes to the venue.

Yes, though the short District Line 'spur' from Earls Court to Olympia only runs on Saturday and Sunday with trains running only every 20 minutes but is only a 3 min journey and would save a walk

Edited by teabelly83

Thanks alot, i dont visit london often, usually just for this con so always find the tubes and were to change abit daunting. thank you for the help. So to clarify, just for saturday and sunday of the event, ill be okay getting the piccadilly line to earls court and changing to district to kensington olympia? What would then be the best and easiest route for the friday as ill be attending friday too, again coming from Kings X.

And excuse me being an idiot but what do you mean 'spur'? i dont mind waiting 20minutes for the district to olympia on the sat and sun if its only a few minutes to the venue.

The 'spur' is just the short stretch of track branching off the District Line from Earls Court to Olympia. On the Friday you can also get the Piccadilly line to Earls Court, then the District Line to West Brompton (towards Wimbledon, just one stop) then change to the Overground platforms and it's a short ride on the Overground to Kensington Olympia

• Like 1

Ah okay brilliant thanks. im only in london once or twice a year for these events really so the tubes etc arent something im used to. So as you said friday i can get piccadilly line from kings x to earls, then change to the district line to west brompton, then change at west brompton to the overground platform to kensington olympia? Will i be able to do this the saturday and sun as it stands then?

The 'spur' is just the short stretch of track branching off the District Line from Earls Court to Olympia. On the Friday you can also get the Piccadilly line to Earls Court, then the District Line to West Brompton (towards Wimbledon, just one stop) then change to the Overground platforms and it's a short ride on the Overground to Kensington Olympia

Im heading on the Friday can I still get from earls court to Olympia on the underground.

Not directly, though the TFL Journey planner is showing a 'Replacement bus service' from Earls Court to Kensington (Olympia) on Friday. Presumably this is for LFCC, but I don't know where the bus leaves from outside Earls Court.

If you're getting a District Line train to Earls Court, get one with 'Wimbledon' on the front & get off at West Brompton (stop after Earls Court) you can then get a London Overground train from Platform 4 back the way you came which will call at Kensington (Olympia), which is the next stop.

Edited by Magpie Electricals
  • Like 1

I'll take the 35 minute ride from Heathrow with the Piccadilly Line to Hammersmith or Baron's Court and walk from there, should be only a 10 or 15 minute walk, hope we have the same weather than last year during LFCC or at least no rain.

• Like 1

This will probably be the journey i will need i think wont it? im coming from kings x so i think i get the piccadilly line to earls court then change to district at earls court dont i? just wanted to make sure ive got it right in my head, trying to remember from last year but cant. lol.

Im heading on the Friday can I still get from earls court to Olympia on the underground.

Not directly, though the TFL Journey planner is showing a 'Replacement bus service' from Earls Court to Kensington (Olympia) on Friday. Presumably this is for LFCC, but I don't know where the bus leaves from outside Earls Court.

If you're getting a District Line train to Earls Court, get one with 'Wimbledon' on the front & get off at West Brompton (stop after Earls Court) you can then get a London Overground train from Platform 2 back the way you came which will call at Kensington (Olympia), which is the next stop.

This is probably a silly question but I don't live in London so I'm going to ask. Can I use the oyster card to get the Overground?

Not silly at all if you don't live in London. You can indeed use Oyster on Overground, and it falls within the daily price caps that operate on the Underground as well.

• Like 2