How About a Showmasters App?

Just got back from LFCC. Loved every day. Yeah, it was busy and warm but the guests, vendors and events made up for this. I was wondering though, with the schedule changes and delays because of guests not turning up on time how about a Showmasters App? Is it a realistic possibility? You could login to the app, pull up your purchases, timetables, maps and even have a push notification when you're 15 minutes away from your photo shoot. If there's any change to the schedule like Carrie Fisher not turning up then you could push out an alert.

Not sure if it's possible but thought I would ask.

Rob

Edited by thebeardedtrio
  • Like 6

Although I think this is a good idea, I can't see it happening. For one thing, these days you can't just create one app as people have different types of phones, iOS, Android and Windows all which work differently and require different builds of the app. To do this you either need you employ someone who has knowledge of them all (hard to find) or get separate people to make them. I don't know their budget but from the people I know who do this kind of job, I'm doubting that SM can afford the right people to make decent app that will work cross platform in the way everyone would want it to work. As I say, it would be good though!

Edited by Wrong Name

I know someone who can develop an app. Problem is, maintenance. He reckons 69p per user per year. Not economically feasible unless the user is willing to pay 69p per year to use the app. If Showmasters are keen to explore this idea, they have my email address.

Edited by Not_Pennys_Ship

I know someone who can develop an app. Problem is, maintenance. He reckons 69p per user per year. Not economically feasible unless the user is willing to pay 69p per year to use the app.

Could advertising be sold to help cover the costs? 69p is quite minimal really per user....a chocolate bar at EC costs more than that.

I know someone who can develop an app. Problem is, maintenance. He reckons 69p per user per year. Not economically feasible unless the user is willing to pay 69p per year to use the app.

Could advertising be sold to help cover the costs? 69p is quite minimal really per user....a chocolate bar at EC costs more than that.

There's the development cost and the maintenance costs. Advertising can help partially fund the app but not the whole development, launch, maintenance process.

I know someone who can develop an app. Problem is, maintenance. He reckons 69p per user per year. Not economically feasible unless the user is willing to pay 69p per year to use the app. If Showmasters are keen to explore this idea, they have my email address.

Can they develop it for iOS, Android and Windows?

Can they develop it for iOS, Android and Windows?

Only IOS and Android. As DavidB said, this will be a problem if users have Blackberries or Window phones. My personal view is, the development costs is a lot of money and will require a volunteer to receive training on how to update the app with information. I can get a dummy app developed and demonstrate how it could work. But like I said, SM has my email address, they can contact me if they're keen to explore this.

also something to point out, if the EE network was nackered (as SM stated earlier) because of the amount of people in a relatively small area no one on EE would have been able to use the app (unless there was free wifi? - which with the amount of people would probably be horrendously slow).

i've been to another con where they use twitter to announce things 'live' but i had no signal in the building all day so i had to keep going outside and waving my phone around a bit to check if anything had changed. there was wifi, but it was charged at £15 a day (by the venue), which i wasn't willing to pay.

perhaps a big 'screen' or led panel or something flashing updates and beeping when something new is add (kinda like in doctors surgeries?) would be an idea. obviously it would have to be somewhere high up so people could see it, but its something that's fairly low maintenance - just someone with a walkie talkie for up to date information and a computer to add new updates.

Edited by carryfiasco
  • Like 1

also something to point out, if the EE network was nackered (as SM stated earlier) because of the amount of people in a relatively small area no one on EE would have been able to use the app (unless there was free wifi? - which with the amount of people would probably be horrendously slow).

i've been to another con where they use twitter to announce things 'live' but i had no signal in the building all day so i had to keep going outside and waving my phone around a bit to check if anything had changed. there was wifi, but it was charged at £15 a day (by the venue), which i wasn't willing to pay.

perhaps a big 'screen' or led panel or something flashing updates and beeping when something new is add (kinda like in doctors surgeries?) would be an idea. obviously it would have to be somewhere high up so people could see it, but its something that's fairly low maintenance - just someone with a walkie talkie for up to date information and a computer to add new updates.

I agree with the big screen or equivalent idea. It doesn't restrict it to only people with the right devices and would be easier to maintain. An app would be cool but with the extra expense and limitations there would only be extra problems.

Yep, this is another problem. The user may pay 69p to download the app, but would be unable to use it in Earls Court because of poor signalling. The user would blame SM,a thread is started in the forum, people want a refund on their 69p cutting and pasting relevant legislation and the world ends.

Edited by Not_Pennys_Ship

Yes, I think I was at one of those cons too and had exactly the same issue... the big screen is a good idea. A general info one would save having to ask a lot of "where do I go for..." or "when is..." questions to SM staff who are already busy with other stuff.

- G

Love this idea! Would defo help with communication and save everyone having to print schedules, maps ect. Just means everyone would be using the internet the whole time and with that many people, could become a problem!

I wonder if they could make it offline accessible? :smile:

• Like 1

Love this idea! Would defo help with communication and save everyone having to print schedules, maps ect. Just means everyone would be using the internet the whole time and with that many people, could become a problem!

I wonder if they could make it offline accessible? :smile:

That then causes issues when schedules change like they did this year.

• Like 1

was thinking about this, to be honest the only real problem is time restraints. Have a friend who does unofficial ones for a couple of the major festivals, updating schedules and things as they change, maps etc.

If i get time ill see if i can grab some code and knock up a rudimentary one to get started, but again its time, might be able to sort it by next years LFCC.

Will keep you posted if i actually get anywhere.

• Like 1

was thinking about this, to be honest the only real problem is time restraints. Have a friend who does unofficial ones for a couple of the major festivals, updating schedules and things as they change, maps etc.

If i get time ill see if i can grab some code and knock up a rudimentary one to get started, but again its time, might be able to sort it by next years LFCC.

Will keep you posted if i actually get anywhere.

they could have a twitter page specific for use at events. if they post DO NO RESPOND on the page and showmaster just post updates on it then that wouldnt be too difficult?