just seen the hobbit

Starbug

Cant wait for the the extended edition of the Hobbit and the second and third part.

There's going to be an extended edition? I thought it was already too long, and some of the scenes could have done with being edited as there were points where I was bored sitting through unnecessary exposition. I prefer the book.

Has anyone seen the From The Red Carpet footage from The Hobbit premiere yet? There's a great shot of our very own Jason standing behind Andy Serkis. He must be getting bored of these events. I know I'd be smiling if I'd been at it. ;)

I went to see it last night and also saw Jason lurking just behind Serkis, surprised he didn't have a few blank contracts in his hand waiting to sign people up!

Overall I enjoyed the film, maybe some bits went on a bit but I'll reserve judgement until I can watch the films as a complete set which is how I think they tend to work best.

Edited by Count Fooku

I thought it was a beautifully paced film, there wasn't any part I felt was too long. At the end, I was amazed it had finished already - the time really flew past!

While it's good that you enjoyed it, at the cinema where I saw it there were several points where people got out their mobile phones as they were evidently bored by the lack of action on screen.

I saw it again for the second time yesterday, and for the first time in 3D. It was just as good as the first time and, unusually for me, I actually enjoyed the 3D aspect too.

I'm so glad about that, as I want to see in 3D for the second viewing (just from curiosity), but I haven't really enjoyed 3D before. I don't feel so worried about it now.

I saw it again for the second time yesterday, and for the first time in 3D. It was just as good as the first time and, unusually for me, I actually enjoyed the 3D aspect too.

I'm so glad about that, as I want to see in 3D for the second viewing (just from curiosity), but I haven't really enjoyed 3D before. I don't feel so worried about it now.

I can't say for certain if I saw it in 24fps or 48fps, as I believe it is available in both in 3D. The girl at the counter didn't seem like she would know if I'd asked.

Most cinemas aren't able to show films in 48fps. I live in Newbury, and the nearest cinemas to me to show The Hobbit in 48fps are Reading or Portsmouth. I don't really want to travel that far, so will try the 3D version in plain old 24fps :)

I just found a full list of cinemas that show 48fps here: http://film.list.co.uk/article/47260-the-hobbit-at-48-frames-per-second-where-to-see-it/

Edited by ChromeBiatch

Finally saw it this evening. Not bad. Enjoyed it and thought it kept most of the elements of the book up to where it stops (from what I can remember) and I found the time flew by which is a good thing. Some bits were maybe a bit long but not significantly.

However, I know they wanted to make it more light-hearted but I felt it was a bit too silly in places and for me it didn't have the epic feel LotR did. I know it's a different film and story but there just didn't seem to be the same style to it and I was hoping it would have the same feel as LotR but didn't.

Surprisingly I didn't find the 3D tiring but then it was used well and not in an eye-popping over the top way. Just to add depth and scale which it mostly succeeded in. BUT, and it's a very big but, I hated the 48fps. I thought about which version to see and decided that this was the way Jackson intended it to be seen, so lets give it a go. But it was like watching a low-budget filmed on video TV movie. Totally lost that slightly "otherworldy" effect and made a lot of the sets and things look too clean and fake.

Realise that sounds quite negative but it was an enjoyable watch, just didn't have the impact on me that LotR did, that was just at another level but some of my feelings may be skewed because of seeing it at 48fps. Still not sure how they're going to drag it out to 3 films though.

Saw An Unexpected Journey again this evening. Thoroughly enjoyed it again. I also twigged that one of my favourite British Actors - Richard Armitage - is in it. So much good work by him, including my favourite British show Spooks. However, I will always be Team Gollum.

• Like 1

Saw it today in 3D 48fps(?). It looked absolutely stunning and an amazing production. I always like seeing Martin Freeman on screen and Gollum was wonderful of course. HOwever, I too felt bored several times throughout (never did in the LOTR trilogy) and could have easily dozed off if it wasn't for the stunning visuals. I shall of course be seeing the next two movies but will buy coffee instead of water just in case!

• Like 1

I'm off for my fifth viewing on Saturday, I just absolutely love it! The LOTRs are without fail my favourite movies (and always will be) but The Hobbit does not fall far behind.

I've seen it in both the 24fps and 48fps and enjoyed them both thoroughly. I understand what people mean when they say that you lose the 'cinema' effect. Admittedly I also missed the warmer, grainier feel to it that you get with LOTR.........for about 10 minutes and then completely forget about it! You get to see so much more with the 48fps which you miss in the 24fps. Furthermore, the fact that you no longer get the fuzz due to movement watching the 3D in 48fps is a huge plus for me as that always put a dampener on the 3D experience for me. I look forward to seeing the 24fps in the 2D version so that the warmth comes back, however for as long as I'm seeing it in 3D I'm sticking to 48fps. Bravo PJ!

I didn't feel bored during any part of the film, and from what I've noticed from the other cinema goers, neither did they. During my first viewing (which was an almost filled screen with over 400 seats) I saw one person get up. For a 2hr40min movie I'd say that's pretty impressive :thumbup:

To make it even better I can not criticise a single performance from the cast, they were all sensational! (Which was of course to be expected from the likes of Richard Armitage, Martin Freeman and Aidan Turner).

Only 343 days to wait until Part 2 :whistling:

With The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey being so different in regards to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I get the feeling so many people are comparing it to the trilogy which is so different. I loved the trilogy, and adored The Hobbit.

• Like 1