London Underground Closures

C.Parkers-Girl

• Moderators

Can I suggest anyone goes on the TFL website and try to have a look first? All the details on closures etc are on there, and there's a useful Route Planner too.

If you're still confused then feel free to ask, but we all just have to go on there and look it up anyway to answer route questions :ph34r:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For someone who has only used the underground once i found the website utterly confusing

Which bit? You say where you're going from and to (doesn't even have to be an underground station just somewhere in London), the date and time you will be leaving for that journey and it does the rest for you...

Could someone help me regarding the closures? We will be coming from London Liverpool street and getting off at west brompton

From Liverpool Street take the Hammersmith & City Line one stop to Aldgate East. From there, take the District Line to West Brompton.

Or from Liverpool Street take the Central Line to Holborn. From there, take the Piccadilly Line to Earl's Court, then the District Line to West Brompton.

The former route has fewer changes, while the latter route is more direct. There only seems to be about five minutes between them, though, according to the Journey Planner.

Could someone help me regarding the closures? We will be coming from London Liverpool street and getting off at west brompton

From Liverpool Street take the Hammersmith & City Line one stop to Aldgate East. From there, take the District Line to West Brompton.

Or from Liverpool Street take the Central Line to Holborn. From there, take the Piccadilly Line to Earl's Court, then the District Line to West Brompton.

The former route has fewer changes, while the latter route is more direct. There only seems to be about five minutes between them, though, according to the Journey Planner.

I wouldn't take the district line to west brompton in the second option, it's just as quicker to walk, even more so now it's not the same venue as LFCC I believe...

Edited by davidbrookes

I wouldn't take the district line to west brompton in the second option, it's just as quicker to walk, even more so now it's not the same venue as LFCC I believe...

Anthony said that he wanted to reach West Brompton, but that's a fair point, David, and definitely worth mentioning - it's just as easy to find the venue by exiting at Earl's Court station. The only reason worth travelling on to West Brompton is if you plan on queuing at that gate before 7am. Both gates are directly opposite their respective stations and very easy to find.

Edited to add: I slightly misread your point there - of course, you can also walk to Brompton from Earl's Court. If you don't know where you're going, though, it's definitely easier to exit at West Brompton. Crikey, this is all starting to sound a bit more complicated than it actually is, isn't it?!

Edited by MinkyKnights

Anthony said that he wanted to reach West Brompton, but that's a fair point, David, and definitely worth mentioning - it's just as easy to find the venue by exiting at Earl's Court station. The only reason worth travelling on to West Brompton is if you plan on queuing at that gate before 7am. Both gates are directly opposite their respective stations and very easy to find.

Edited to add: I slightly misread your point there - of course, you can also walk to Brompton from Earl's Court. If you don't know where you're going, though, it's definitely easier to exit at West Brompton. Crikey, this is all starting to sound a bit more complicated than it actually is, isn't it?!

It's worth checking when the underground trains are from Earls Court to West Brompton. It can take about 5 minutes to walk from the Earls Court station to the West Brompton one, may only take 2 minutes on the underground but if you've got a minute walking either side and a 3 minute wait to get onto the tube then it's quicker to walk the whole thing. I'm sure there will be people around to help, both those that work there and those going to EMS...

It is best to get off at Earl's Court rather than West Brompton.

You see, if you want to get off specifically at West Brompton you'll have to wait for a tube train heading towards Wimbledon. Which means any heading towards Ealing Broadway, Kensington and Richmond you'll have to sit out. This can potentially add 10-15 mins on to your journey waiting for that specific tube train.

Where as every single District line tube train will pass through Earl's Court no matter where it is heading so you just have to get on the first one that comes.

Yeah if anyone is having issues with the site and its confusing them, just ask.

I literally just look at the closures on here, then then map and can tell you where to go probs easier and quciker than the site ;)

Not to toot my own horn lol I just sorta 'get' the Underground map lol

it's just as easy to find the venue by exiting at Earl's Court station....of course, you can also walk to Brompton from Earl's Court. If you don't know where you're going, though, it's definitely easier to exit at West Brompton.
It can take about 5 minutes to walk from the Earls Court station to the West Brompton one, may only take 2 minutes on the underground but if you've got a minute walking either side and a 3 minute wait to get onto the tube then it's quicker to walk the whole thing.
It is best to get off at Earl's Court rather than West Brompton.

Standard Earl's Court warning. If you arrive at Earl's Court, particularly on the District line, you can exit at each end of the platforms; one end of the platforms exit ointo Earl's Court Road, and the other end exits onto Warwick Road.

DO NOT take the Earl's Court Road exit; you want the Warwick Road exit. The map at the bottom half/page 2 of this document should make it clear.

When I first read the title of this thread: "London Underground Closures," I was nervous as I thought it would be an issue travelling to Earl's Court that weekend.

I was relieved to find out that the Piccadilly Line is only closed between South Harrow and Uxbridge. Apologies for those who were intending to travel from there.

I will be taking the Piccadilly Line from Hammersmith to Earl's Court.

Edited by adamthehorrorfan

Is there bus/tube from Havil St to EC ?

Have a look at the Journey Planner on the TFL website and see what that says (you can choose the option of having your start point being an address or postcode, rather than a station).

There are no tubes down in that neck of the woods, but off the top of my head you could either get the no.36 bus to Victoria and catch the tube, or maybe take the train from Denmark Hill (Battersea Park / Clapham Junction / West Brompton)

Looking on TFL Journey Planner your journey seems fine.

Looks that way for me too !! *phew*

(well, for now, will re-check just before leaving home just to be sure)

Thanks for mentionning, though. I was so sure I knew the way I totally forgot to check if there would be any troubles on the route >< . Thanks for the reminder this thread provided me, then. :)

Living in London means I have to check TFL every other day for closures :jason: Its a nightmare! I remeber at EMS last time they closed the Olympia station for a few hours, that messed a few peoples plans up!

I dont get why everyone is trying to get to West Brompton though, thats fine for EC2 but for EC1 where this event is then Id say Earls Court (warwick exit) is the best bet and easier.

Ill be going Westcombe Park (rail) -> London Bridge. then Jubilee Line to either Green Park then Piccadilly or Westminster then District...Not sure which will be quickest at 6:30am

Please help (useless at tubes!!!). How are we fixed going from Paddington to West Brompton?

Many thanks in advance:).

Paddington is quite badly affected by the weekend's closures. Of its four Tube lines, three are closed. Your only option is to take the Bakerloo Line. Hop on there to Piccadilly Circus, then take the Piccadilly Line to Earl's Court, where you can either exit and cross the road to the venue, or change to the District Line for West Brompton (where you can also exit and cross the road to the venue).

Paddington to Earl's Court via this route should take about half an hour.