Improving the Show For Families

GoldenGreen

Having read the thread on child tickets it got me thinking about how the shows could be improved for families. I'm sure many people are like me and started going to Showmasters events in their younger days and have grown up with these great events. Now, we have our own kids , but still want to be able to come and continue to enjoy the events and introduce the next generation to the magnificant world of Showmasters.

I've already commented on the £3 child standard entry value which I think is great value for money, but I'm sure that between all of us on here with kids we can come up with some great ideas to make the events even more enjoyable and stress free for people bringing particularly younger kids with them.

So here goes, please feel free to add:

Hands On Areas (Like in Museums)

It's great that there is always so much to see at the events, but kids tend to like to get pretty hands on, so things like artists alley work great, it was a good chance for the parents to sit down as well and the kids can have fun being creative, drawing and making pictures. I wonder if this idea could be extended to allow kids to try on or use some mock film related props or costumes (not the real things of course), but something that they could dress up and get their photos taken (e.g. superhero costumes).

Space / Running Around

Kids also like plenty of space and running around, so an area where you could take them to wear them out a bit is also good. I appreciate you can't really bring in a whole adventure playground, but you could get some themed inflatables, such as bouncy castles or inflatable slides often used at big events or parties. These are great at family fun days and you can hire lots of themed items like Scooby Doo , Spiderman or Princesses.

There's just a couple for starters, but would be good to hear what other people have to add. Thanks.

Hi

I've been taking my son to SM events all over the country since he was 2 and over time the number of fans have increased and there's definitely been an increase in the number of families or children who come along. My son is now in 9.

While I think things like hands on areas and play spaces could be useful, I don't know if there would be space for this and if it's not very well used then some attendees could later complain that the area could be better used for seating, etc.

Having gone with my son for so many years, the following would help but I've no idea how to introduce this:

1. IMHO there aren't really many stalls for children at these events but I kind of understand why. Sure, there's some that sell toys but it's often retro stuff or collectables at high prices. Often I notice my son and other children at the stalls which sell low value stuff like lego minifigures or pokemon or cheap star wars items.

2. There's often a lot of cosplayers at these events and some of the costumes are great and appeal to kids. Why not have a kids small photoshoot area with some of the other fans and charge £1 or £2 for charity for the kids to have their photos taken by their parents. The money would go to a good cause, I'm sure most the cosplayers would love it and the kids would have great fun. In the past my son has been too young or nervous to ask but if it was a recognised "mini event" then it'd be easier.

3. At some events (and some events outwith SM) there's been areas where people can have their photograph taken with characters and a back-drop (i.e. at LFACC with the Delorean). Just get a pokemon costume, a nice backdrop and watch the kids posing. Or how about small capes and lightsabers which kids can hold in front a backdrop.

4. A small area for kids to maybe swap items (say trading cards) or listen to a kids talk where someone asks them who their favourite characters are or tells them how to build some small things from lego (the lego discovery centre in Manchaster is good at this kind of thing).

We've been to tons of events now and the above aren't really essential but at CM Glasgow last month there were loads of photo opportunities with Spiderman, Kick Ass and star wars characters at the venue and the smiles on many kids faces made me realise how much it meant to them.

Cheers

Steve

Sorry, I just remembered a few more.

If you had a small area for kids then why not have a small stage where kids could come up and say their name into a mic and what they like, etc. Parents would lap it up and kids would have terrific memories. Hell, I'd love to organise something like that.

I've also spoken to my wife in the past about having an event aimed at children. You could have some stars from kids TV shows and throw in some doctor who, star wars cast, etc as they appeal to both adults and children.

Oh and something else which normally goes fairly well - tell the folk in the alien and predator costume to keep away from the kids unless the children come over to them. The films are 18 for a reason, I had trouble convincing my son to attend the shows when he was 4 because the alien came after him and chased him.

Ever since a screaming kid ruined a talk (Can't remember which talk but I think it was at LFCC 09 or 10) There should be a ban on children under 7.

That's a bit of a sweeping response, isn't it? Just because one parent was thoughtless and didn't take their kid out of the talk? If my child was making that much noise/disrupting the talk, I'd take them out of the talk area - just as I'd take them out of the church if they started creating during a wedding etc. If parents don't have the courtesy to do this, then maybe the stewards on hand should politely ask them to?

Ever since a screaming kid ruined a talk (Can't remember which talk but I think it was at LFCC 09 or 10) There should be a ban on children under 7.

I don't agree with that, although I would agree that the stewards should be on hand to make sure that the parents and screaming child are removed from the talk immediately.

That's a bit of a sweeping response, isn't it? Just because one parent was thoughtless and didn't take their kid out of the talk? If my child was making that much noise/disrupting the talk, I'd take them out of the talk area - just as I'd take them out of the church if they started creating during a wedding etc. If parents don't have the courtesy to do this, then maybe the stewards on hand should politely ask them to?

Thanks for pointing that out. My four year old daughter loves these events and would not behave badly there. In the unlikely event that she did so I would take her out and she knows that.

Actually on further thought, I think it was Collectormania London or EMS. It was one where the toilets were directly behind the talk seating area.

This kid kept screaming and crying but the parent didn't take it away and instead just took it to the back where it continued screaming and crying. :smile:

i tgink that sm should check cosplayers because some were scaring kids and others showing to much off - 14

Suprised at this.:YAHOO:

Obviously, you saw what you saw, but every cosplayer we've met has been a total sweetie to my daughter and it was their attitude that got her cosplaying herself.

all depends on what you consider showing too much skin and too scary.

regarding perhaps children cos playing in inappropriate outfits for there age, if they are that young the parents need to sort that!

baring in mind some of the films and shows that the actors are in show worse. if someone is that worried then its best not to take them. or just stay with them and guide them to avoid an alien cos player.

you cant start putting bans on how short a skirt is or how scary a mask is at events like these. and lets be fair you see worse in music videos these days lol. hell regarding skimpy outfits, you see the same/worse on the streets in the summer or on a sat night lol.

regarding family, Im of the opinion there should be perhaps cheaper options, but its also a minefield to organize and make fair.

Edited by timelord81r

Yeah when you have guests from films like the Alien and Hellraiser franchises, scary images/costumes/toys/statues are going to be around.

And the Alien guys are some of the best around. They make the event more awesome.

Its a parental choice to bring kids to an event where you know films/tv shows not for kids are represented in very visual ways. And by fans the same as you.

I'd never deny anyone an expression of their fandom, like cosplaying, because it 'might' scare a kid.

And in terms of nudity, these events get as bad as some of the less-dressed superheroes and some of the anime/manga characters.

Other events I've been too are far worse. G-strings and a few patches of fur. Never seen anything that bad at LFCC or EMS or MK (and MK is way too cold usually :crying:)

This isn't aimed at anyone, and I don't want to sound harsh, but it's a crowded, hectic event and really aimed at older children and adults. I think some common sense has to come into it where young children are involved. Most attendees won't want to be censored - they want to have the actors relaxed at the talks, wear the costumes they choose etc, and not have to worry about scaring children. Young children could easily get loose from their parents too, which would be particularly worrying in a huge place like Earls Court! Not everything can be a family event unfortunately.

I don't bring my son to event's. At two and a half it's simply too much hassle to take him with me. As he gets older then maybe I'll reconsider.

As to what to do to make it easier for parents and kids alike? Possibly an area specifically for them to go and unwind for a bit. Somewhere parents can sit and kids can run around. A nightmare to organise for an event like this, never mind policing it for Showmasters crew. I don't really see it happening.

i took my eldest who is 13 now to his first lfcc when he was 9 it was the best time ever as it was the first one i went 2 aswell i then deciede to take my 6 he is now 10 year old as well to the next one met all the cos play alieans etc at first he was afraied but when i told him thay r people dressed up he could not stop having pictures taking with them i allso i now take all 4 of my boys to conventions ages 5,7,10,13 and all have a great time i think its up to parent desretion if any 1 of my boys dont want a poto with a carecter the i will not force him to and if 1 of them is disruptive thay do not go to the next one and i have done this on the eldest he missed out meeting karen gillen he wont be disruptive again ;)

We went to EMS last November, our first ever con and we only took our then nine year old as we felt our other two children would get bored very easily, we know what there like!, we went to MK in May by ourselves over the weekend, then on the Monday we decided to drive all the way back there with the kids in tow, all three of them as we knew they would enjoy seeing all the cosplayers!!, my children are 10, 9 and 6.

We took both our eldest to LFCC on the Saturday and my middle son loved it, even wanting to go to the masquerade in the afternoon but we said no to that and wished we hadn't (he was a JEDI!), although it was a long day they loved it! but our youngest son still isn't able to stand still for long periods and we are worried he would spoil it for others around us, like in talks he wouldn't be quite etc, like someone said, if we were in church or whatever it would still be the case, we would have to take him out, which means others around us gets distracted and we don't get to enjoy ourselves, so it makes sense for him to stay at home (with my parents!)

However we did give him a chance on this years EMS, we said 'IF' Matt Smith was going (big DW fan...he was quite good when watching them film DW at the beginning of the year in Cardiff, lots of bribing going on with Ice Cream on the way home!), he could go and have a photo, IF he could be good from now on....Well not even two hours on that promise he was told he wasn't going if he did attend, his reply "because I am a naughty boy".

I'd love to take all my children as we are such a 'fan boy' family it's untrue but for other guests to have fun and for us to be able to relax more, this is why we leave our youngest at home!!

With the cosplayers my children all realise they are people inside the suits or whatever they are wearing but to the very young, they must be a little bit scary but then the parents do know these people cosplay in such costumes, so it's up to the parents to think if it's 'right or wrong' not the person cosplaying.

Sorry for the long post people!

Ali xx

Edited by alisonloub

Hi

I'm enjoying reading the posts in this thread but wanted to add a few small comments.

When I suggeted earlier a mini stage for kids to have photos taken with cosplayers, I was thinking of selective cosplayers, not a free for all. If there were certain costumes - doctor who, mario, etc then they could pose with the kids for a short while.

Of course some of the costumes leave little to the imagination but kids see worse on the telly and there's no reason for the cosplayers to stop doing so.

As for the comment with the kids screaming and causing problems - this is just one of those things. Someone should speak to the parent. Sometimes my son has been well behaved and there's been a bunch of cosplayers swearing nearby - people can get annoyed or offended for different reasons.

As for the Alien/Predator costume issue - these are great and shouldn't be stopped. My son is 9 and knows it's someone in costume but on two occassions when he was younger the alien singled him out and then chased him. My son was really upset and distresed when being chased and I think the guy in the suit persisted and got a kick out of it. If the folk in the costumes (as per most the time) back off with the kids when they're near unless the kids come to them then there's no issue.

There's no requirement or need for some to cater more for children but as the events grow, families are coming along not because of the adults - but because of the children and as these children grow up then they will possibly become future customers and attendees

Cheers

Steve

Ah see but then they'll grow and come alone and when the parents arnt there. They'll swear or wear a little more revealing costumes or a scary one :lol: I know I've done it myself.

From day-tripper with my dad and uncle for the early MK's to staying in hotels for more days with friends to cosplaying Doctor Who till this EMS where I will be dressed in 'drag' in a very small skirt :blink:

Everybody! Its the ciiiircle of life!!!!

Edited by BeatrixKiddo88

I have been taking my daughter to events since she was 5 and she has been cosplaying for the whole time. She loves all aspects of SM events. There has been times when she gets bored at talks that she's not interested in but we usually sit at the back so that she can sit on the floor with her DS and not disturb anyone else. She is now 11 and I feel happy that she can wander around an event like LFCC on her own. She is happy with her bit of freedom.

She avoids the alien guy as he crept up behind her and scared the living daylights out of her at Glasgow but then I dont particularly like hanging out around him as I am not too big on horror films.

I think most parents know the limitations of their own children and do not go out of their way to spoil the experiences of other event goers but it would be nice if some non parents were a little more considerate to youngsters that attend events.

Say No To Censorship.

if it might be too scary, your kids shouldnt be there.

If it might be too bikini-tastic, your kids shouldnt be there

If it might not be too safe, might be too loud, someone might swear, or the price of hotdogs is too steep...maybe this is somewhere your kids shouldnt be. Dont try and turn showmasters into a kindergarten outing, thats not the point.

If you want to have some dress up fun, kids areas with photo backdrops (without microphones - who needs kids shouting out harry potter catchphrases over a microphone??) or whatever special stuff for the little kids, sure - just keep an eye on your kids, keep them under control for your/their benefit as well as ours, and we can all have a good time.

• Moderators

I'm going to step in here and ask if we can keep this topic for 'family suggestions' only - not turn it into a family vs other attendees topic. It's treading a very fine line now, and we don't want it to descend into arguments.

We'll be keeping an eye on it and if it goes too bad it will be closed. Thanks everyone.