Support For Glasgow!

As an avid reader of the forums for all Showmasters events, it appears to me, maybe incorrectly that Glasgow is the poor illigitimate child of the cons.

There are frequent posters who are loyal but the majority of those who attend the other events seem to give Glasgow the short shrift!

Come on Timelord, 80s Action Fan, and all my other favorite posers get yer butts up here!

Again i may be wrong but not many of my English Geek friends seem intrested in our event.

This is sad because its a great event with fantastic guests each year and we need support.

I travel to England for all the events i can make so its not hard.

7 hours in a car going to a fun event is better than eight hours bored in an office.

So come on all you great guys from downsouth, post on this forum, talk nonsense about all the geek things you love and come and join us in Scotland, you will have fun and the beer is cheap!

Milton Keynes is over and after London we are all you have till Nov for the main cons.....

Lets hear some chat and what you would like to see up here.....we want you, we need you, we are like you, except we wear kilts, eat haggis and deep fried Mars Bars, oh and we are ginger too :-)

So dont be a sasanach , Glasgow 2011, be there or be sorry! You never seen Braveheart? You wont like us when we are angry lol

Edited by Goodie586

• Moderators

I wouldn't call it the 'illegitimate child' as such. Glasgow will always be a smaller event than MK or the London ones, but that's the way it's built up to be.

This section at times has a far more regular fanbase than others. At least you do have a passionate section that is interested in the local events etc. Other events generally have fans floating from one to the next.

The Glasgow event is generally aimed at a more local fanbase anyway, so I suppose that's why you don't get a huge amount of the other fans posting in here. It always has a good turnout, but I guess most of them don't post on here! ;)

Most of the other event forums only get busy around the times of the events anyway. Most people I know chat off-forum on Facebook and Twitter etc, rather than on here.

Your passion is admirable though, and it's people like you that do keep this event going :dance:

Ahhh David, you are a true gent.

Indeed it is more local, but like the mum who's kid walks last, i keep hoping that it gets up and runs a marthon.

All i said was in jest.

The truth is that Colletormania is a special thing in my life, not because i have no life, i do, a very good one.

I have a job, a job a wife a house, a child, i travel the world and am a very contented person.

However!!!! Boy do i look forward to these events!

I have two loves

(1) Movies......really, how someone can like football or sport is beyond me. I aint judging just not my thing!

Movies....well wow.....born in the 70s, grew up in the 80s and live and breath childhood memories.....Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, Innerspace, Expolorers, Lost Boys, Masters of the Universe, Gremlins, Goonies, Rambo, ET, Commando, Back to the Future,Young Guns, Terminator,Star Wars. Big Trouble in Little China, Splash,Tango and Cash, Predator,.....god i could go on.....

and

(2)Collectormania .......Jason and his gang came into my life in 2008....gutted i missed the first show!

I loved it, the buzz, the stalls, all the like minded folks about and the fact that Winston Zeddemore was standing next to me. Jeez i had fun.

I enjoy these days so much and i am passionate about them, i dont do cosplay, i my line of work its not advisable, but i love the guys that do, that embrace the fun and say F you to all the people that dont understand the love we have for Tv and Movies.

I love that on that day in Glasgow its not about Rangers and Celtic, its about the 10th Doctor and Lara Croft standing next to an Alien and a Predator.....its like Glasgow Glee.....all the uncool guys are coll for a day, me included!

So yes i am passionate.....i love Collectormania Glasgow.....i love all the events, its a privelge to meet my heroes and talk to them.

Thanks guys, i moan sometimes but only cause i care.....

Showmasters...you are my World Cup.....cant wait to see what happens and what great guests you get as you have not let me down yet.

Bring on Glasgow 2011......

PS YOU BETTER GET CHRISTOPHER LAMBERT LOL ;)

Edited by Goodie586

I come up for Glasgow every year from Lancashire and I know that there are a load of others who travel up from England, so it is indeed not just a local event. In fact I try never to miss a Glasgow event because it is my favourite event of the year, but if I missed another event it's not that big a deal!

Hi Goodie

We are the same, we live in Glasgow and travel to SM events all over the place (we're going to London for LFACC).

The Glasgow event differs from others I see in that it's got some different stalls (and often more varied), it's warmer, better lit, near cheaper food, etc and often has a good range of guests. It's not as chaotic or rushed as LFCC and it's a far better location than the likes of Heathrow Airport or definitely the Milton Keynes stadium. Add to that free parking and the fact that the event often has a free guest as well and loads of cosplayers and there's something for everything.

It would be great for others to travel up to the Glasgow event. There are some who will (and have) made the journey and that's great but for others it's a case of the guests almost swaying their chances of travelling but not quite.

What Glasgow needs is a "killer" guest or two - I'm not talking huge, huge names but just some of those that don't often appear or have cancelled in the past for a reason or another or may appeal to a wider fan base - Brian Blessed instantly springs to mind. There's also some Scottish guests as well that would go down great if they were attending - i.e. Billy Boyd, Robbie Coltrane, etc.

When Michael Carter (Bib Fortuna) was announced a few years ago for LFCC a year in advance there was a lot of interest but he cancelled the week before. How many star wars collectors from elsewhere in the UK may make the journey to Glasgow just for him.

I'm not saying we don't have good guests - we do. Glasgow will never have some of the huge names I've seen through SM - Joan Collins, Christopher Lloyd, etc but every year the guests are becoming more varied and being announed earlier in advance which is a good thing.

There was also talk of organising a Glasgow party before the show - I've never been to those but Reverand Scapegoat used to mention it a lot on here.

Anyway, to cut a long story short - it would be great to have many attend this event from all over the UK if they can. Many of us travel the distance from Glasgow to London, etc and sometimes it's only for one or two guests in our case that we really want to see. It's a great city as well and has a lot to offer.

Plug over.

Steve

I love Glasgow! It is a must attend at all costs! :D

The atmosphere is electric. When your in the queue just about to enter waiting to pay your admission, ready to run at a moments notice to that ellusive collectible that you just happen to glance.....fantastic!

The people are so friendly, the crew members so polite and willing to cater for your every need, the Guests so fan friendly and accomodating and the fantastic diverse number of people dressed up willing to let you take a picture of them....Its like one big family!!!..Seriously thats whats it like! LOL! :D

The pace can be as demanding or as relaxed as you like...you decide thats the privelege of attending Glasgow!

The Dealers are all friendly and willing to negotiate a deal once you express interest in an item and you do not feel rushed in any way..FANTASTIC.

I may sound like an advertisement for Glasgow but seriouly this is the way it is here! One big friendly group of people sharing their passion. It is essentially a celebration ( it can only be described as this)

I prefer to see Glasgow as unique rather than try to compare to anything as it really cannot be compared. We are growing (you just need to look at the past Guests to see this) and the fact that Showmasters is here when no others would enter into Scotland on such a scale shows the commitment.

After saying all that, it would be lovely if some fans outwith the locality did attend but Im sure there is plenty of time for that once they see what is on offer up here! :D

If/ When this happens then we can no longer say we are local :D

It is really a brilliant fantastic fun time and I look forward all year to attending Glasgow!! :D:D

Ann

xx

As Collectormania Glasgow is technically a signing event spread across 2 days, as opposed to a weekend-long convention, Showmasters don't want to risk organising a party themselves - They'd prefer to put their efforts into making the event itself as good as possible. ( Understandable given the restrictions that they're under if they were to undertake such an endeavour again... )

That said, if by some chance there happened to be a completely-unaffiliated-with-Showmasters party, I'd give you details as soon as I could... Coz, obviously, if you're partying on the Saturday night... You HAVE to come along to CM:G both days! )

That aside - It would be nice if more folk from further afield were willing to travel to Glasgow just like we travel from here to attend other cons - But if they can't be bothered, then it's up to us to make Glasgow as much fun as possible without the lazy gits, innit? Show 'em what they're missing :YAHOO:

Edited by Reverend Scapegoat

Ahhh David, you are a true gent.

Indeed it is more local, but like the mum who's kid walks last, i keep hoping that it gets up and runs a marthon.

All i said was in jest.

The truth is that Colletormania is a special thing in my life, not because i have no life, i do, a very good one.

I have a job, a job a wife a house, a child, i travel the world and am a very contented person.

However!!!! Boy do i look forward to these events!

I have two loves

(1) Movies......really, how someone can like football or sport is beyond me. I aint judging just not my thing!

Movies....well wow.....born in the 70s, grew up in the 80s and live and breath childhood memories.....Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, Innerspace, Expolorers, Lost Boys, Masters of the Universe, Gremlins, Goonies, Rambo, ET, Commando, Back to the Future,Young Guns, Terminator,Star Wars. Big Trouble in Little China, Splash,Tango and Cash, Predator,.....god i could go on.....

and

(2)Collectormania .......Jason and his gang came into my life in 2008....gutted i missed the first show!

I loved it, the buzz, the stalls, all the like minded folks about and the fact that Winston Zeddemore was standing next to me. Jeez i had fun.

I enjoy these days so much and i am passionate about them, i dont do cosplay, i my line of work its not advisable, but i love the guys that do, that embrace the fun and say F you to all the people that dont understand the love we have for Tv and Movies.

I love that on that day in Glasgow its not about Rangers and Celtic, its about the 10th Doctor and Lara Croft standing next to an Alien and a Predator.....its like Glasgow Glee.....all the uncool guys are coll for a day, me included!

So yes i am passionate.....i love Collectormania Glasgow.....i love all the events, its a privelge to meet my heroes and talk to them.

Thanks guys, i moan sometimes but only cause i care.....

Showmasters...you are my World Cup.....cant wait to see what happens and what great guests you get as you have not let me down yet.

Bring on Glasgow 2011......

PS YOU BETTER GET CHRISTOPHER LAMBERT LOL :D

I feel much the same way. I also missed the first event, and I have no reason for missing it. Gutted that I missed Gimli and Freddie.

I have been to every other event, and loved everything about all of them (except the rude man who told us all to 'beat it' after James Cosmo's Talk, didn't like that).

Me and my family totally support the glasgow convention we have been to every one since it began in 2007 and will attend them all as long as it continues it is the only showmasters convention we can get too though we would love to go to more fingers crossed that we might someday we would also like to thank showmasters for taking the chance on a convention in scotland while everyone told them it wouldnt work dealers and attendees say it has one of the best atmospheres i totally agree long may it continue :o

how someone can like football or sport is beyond me. I aint judging just not my thing!

Not having a go...far from, it each to their own. But if there were some sporting guests I'd definitley make the trip North. In fact I think SM could be missing a trick here.

I'd pay good money to meet Gavin Hastings. And after getting to meet some of the Welsh players from the 1974 Lions in London, there are a load of Scottish players from the tour I'd like to meet such as Ian McLauchlan, Gordon Brown, William Steele, Andy Irvine and Ian McGeechan.

While I'm at it I would also like to see Sandy Lyle, Colin Montgomerie, Paul Lawrie, Denis Law, Ken Buchanan and after SM got us Sir Stirling Moss this year I'd love to meet Sir Jackie Stewart again.

Racing, fair enough... But having anyone football related at Collectormania - Or at least anyone Old Firm related, which would be the most likely and most popular I reckon - Is a recipe for disaster.

I have to agree, i think that in Glasgow there is a MASSIVE diffrence between the majority of SC-FI tv, movie fans and sport fans.

I have no wish to see Alien and Predator vs Old Firm Neds lol.

Seriously thou, i am aware that not all sports fans are like that and is it great that Showmasters have Sportmania for sports fans, however i like that CMG is a place where i can seek solace and avoid sport.

I have no wish to see Alien and Predator vs Old Firm Neds lol. .

I don’t know…could be the title of a new movie.

But seriously, that’s why I didn’t mention Celtic or Rangers. I’m sure the vast majority of fans from the two clubs are normal people, but you only need one numpty to cause all sorts of problems.

I’ve never been to Collectormania Glasgow so I don’t know if having sports guests would effect the atmosphere of the event.

As I said... Sports guests in general, I have no problem with - But Old Firm related guests I woulkd say are a DEFINITE no-no, and I'd possibly even go so far as to avoid any footballers.

It sucks, because most of the folk who'd be interested are cool, but because the "bad eggs" that would invariably also be attracted are likely to be SUCH a problem... I'd say it's better to err on the side of caution.

I have friends who in the past have either combined CM Glasgow with a holiday up here in Scotland, another friend has now come up early Sat morning and stayed through till Monday.

So the event is starting to get support from those farther afield, and as has been said there's a nice atmosphere at the event.

I've had tickets purchased for this one for a good while now to show my support, as I've purchased the tickets for my friends as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Will be there this year and will drag as many friends as poss too.

Last year was my first event and me and the wife had a fantastic time, I have always been a big Star Wars fan so meeting Kenny Baker and Paul Blake was amazing. The Missus is also a huge Red Dwarf fan so it was a great first event to attend. I am gutted I missed the first few as I never knew the event existed we only found out last year because of an advert in the metro last year. I will be telling all the movie fans I know about the event this year!

Joe :D

Edited by dodef