The Football Chat

Daniel

A bit of a sweeping statement. Some fans do care. I care as he is using a friendly to blood youngsters that are our future. These friendlies are determined by FIFA, so no point anyone moaning like Lampard has done. He is one of the squad who should keep his mouth shut as he didn't play to his potential in South Africa. I find it funny that so many "fans" moan that Capello doesn't bring through Youth, yet moan when he does. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Well, it seems that David Beckham is done in internationals as Capello has said he is a little too old for 2012 Euros. I wonder if he told him prior to the interview going out tonight?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one am pleased the Beckham circus is over, far too many caps late in his career when the youngsters should of been given more of a chance.

The problem was, in the latter part of his international career, those who were given the chance didn't perform. Becks always performed. He was Mr Reliable. Plain and simple, the majority of the youngsters bottled it.

At last, a rule that makes sense. With Arsene Wenger moaning about the new 25 Man Squad limit with 8 homegrown players, this can only be good for the national teams in the UK. Money may be able to buy you top players, but it can't guarantee you can "buy the league" as has been suggested of teams past and present (namely Chelsea and Manchester City).

The German 2010 World Cup squad was made up of players from the Bundasliga.

i think capelo has lost it, he gets "rightly criticized" for the world cup and so he panics and drops half the squad, er why dafoe? the only striker who actually scored at the wc. then skanks beckham behind his back. its not right, yes youth needs to feature more but becks always performed and even on a zimmerframe can put a pin point cross in like no other, if he is fit he should be in the squad. it should be down to performance also for the clubs. i hope becks moves back to the prem, kicks some ass and forces his way back into the england team.

i didnt watch the game, really wasnt in the mood, reading the reports glad i didnt, sounds more of the same crap to me. capelo has actually annoyed me more than sven, never thought id say that, say what u want, sven got us to 3 major quarter finals! capelo got us battered by the germans in second round after 3 aweful performances and aweful prep gmaes. yes the players were poor but worse were the tatics and selection from the manger, and what is more baffling pearce is next to him, why is he not saying something?

The Blackpool Chairman is stepping down citing that he feels he cannot work with any of the other Premier League due to their attitudes towards wages, agents fees etc. Having put a £10,000 per week cap on wages, he said that "the game is now about money and not about football!.

Sources: Various media outlets including Sky Sports News.

Well done Villa on a solid 1-1 draw.

Great result, considering the team that MacDonald put out. Villa just need to keep a clean sheet at Villa Park to get through and with Richard Dunne back to win every header, I think we'll do just that.

I am loving the more traditional "man for man" marking under Roy Hodgson over the "zonal marking" under Rafa. Liverpool look more confident.

Shame other parts need to be organised, Cole taking pens instead of Torres. Cole said afterwards that he hasn't taken a pen for 15 years.

But agree, the early signs are good.

Aquilani is dead wood.

Aquilani is far from dead wood. He was brought in by Rafa when he was injured. He never got a chance to play, and RH has said that he may let him out on load to a team in Italy so he can get match fit again. To me this is a great way forward seeing as RH has said that he cannot guarantee AA a run at the moment. I personally feel that AA came in at the wrong time, under the wrong manager and whilst injured.

Unlucky...Yes...Dead wood...no.

Aquilani is far from dead wood. He was brought in by Rafa when he was injured. He never got a chance to play, and RH has said that he may let him out on load to a team in Italy so he can get match fit again. To me this is a great way forward seeing as RH has said that he cannot guarantee AA a run at the moment. I personally feel that AA came in at the wrong time, under the wrong manager and whilst injured.

Unlucky...Yes...Dead wood...no.

His trouble is that he's fragile; he has a record of injuries. Look at his list of appearances and the summary of his Rome career at wikipedia - he was injured in each of the three seasons before he moved to Liverpool, missing several months each time. The game here is probably more physical than in Italy - you'd have to worry he might make as few appearances here.

He might not be dead wood, but he's probably very overpriced and a hell of a gamble...

Rafa pulled off some wonder signings.

Torres was a steal.

Maxi for nothing.

Reina was a master stroke.

But then he lets himself down by buying an injured player, and then several more crocks before that.

Ahh well, it seems the purchases that RH has made so far are good. Glad he is standing his ground of Mascherano not going ont he cheap.

My use of deadwood was perhaps a tad frivilous, however, in terms of LFC and the type of player we need to get/keep us at the top level, Aquilani has for the reasons you've both mentioned, fragile, not physical enough for our league, so he's not the standard we need, so owe should jettison him if we can.

OK, so loaning him out might get him off our wage bill and if he does well, we might recoup some of our money back. However, if he gets injured 'again' then when we try to seel him in a years time, the fee will be even lower due to less time on his contract.

I'd rather get £10m for him now, we need the money.

Yeah, it's a bit like telling someone who has just become a vegetarian, that youre not gonna let them eat steak for a few months.

An attempt to save face by the French, when really there is nothing they can do to hurt Anelka.

Any news on Mascherano, Barce apparently have bid £12m, they are having a laugh.

Barca have also been told that there is a phonecall for them..the number is 0800 2 1 Do 1.

If JM goes, I don't care. If his head is not in the club, then there is the door.

Just watching the Man City v Liverpool game.

Man City are having a good game. Liverpool not. And the ref is having a shocker. Another case of keeping the money teams happy. As Liverpool are skint, I guess they don't matter.

Not one player in the outfield deserved to be in a red shirt. They were all over the place. I know they need time to mesh as a team after comings and goings, injuries and a new manager...but there was little or no trying.

And when is a referee going to grow a set and not be afraid of a big team. Liverpool have had that effect in the past, and I hated it then, but the ref tonight was so bad it was beyond bad.

Liverpool don't need more players. They just need the players to play. I can only think of one more striker and a left back. Nothing else. And please Javier...sod off and go away. And stop with the "it is for family reasons" excuses. Just leave. And good on RH for not selling him on the cheap. Do one Barca.

And no, the venting has not finished.

Money is polluting this wonderful game to the extent that it is slowly choking it to death.

For once, I am applauding the Premier League squad requirements coming in shortly (01/09/10), and the Platini financial requirements. Better late than never.

As usual we're letting a player go cheap, then again, even when we do get their true value like Alonso, we waste it on Aquilani.

We will miss him, as evidenced at City. Gerard's not the same without Mash or Alonso protecting the back.

We will miss him. Yes, Liverpool are only getting back what they paid for him. But I would rather the club did that than have a player whose heart is not in it, and market value going down as his contract runs down.

And it has been revealed that Aquilani's one year load deal has a clause in it that allows Juventus to buy him for around £13 million.

Again, if this goes through it will be a loss. But rather a loss now, than a complete loss later.

Roy has inherited mistakes made by Benitez. I am confident in his abilities to turn it around.

This season will hopefully see Liverpool strengthen and grow. As long as they are in Europe next year, I won't be that bothered if it is not the Champion's League. That in itself would be a great accomplishment to get to at least 4th place.