The Football Chat

Daniel

Is there somewhere that I even hinted at having a different view of what happened in Sheffield due to falling out of love with LFC?

No, because that's not what I said. I said "a different view of the aftermath of that awful afternoon in Sheffield." The key word there is aftermath, including the decision by many LFC fans and Liverpudlians (of both footballing persuasions) to shun The Sun.

Your words

...Liverpool FC still have to show me as a fan that they deserve my loyalty. My money. My support. ... I am a man who chooses to support, to follow, to take an interest in anything I so wish.

If this means reading The Sun newspaper, or it's website, then so be it.

seemed to suggest that since LFC didn't currently warrant your loyalty, you were content to read The Sun. I am happy to admit that I misinterpreted that, and that in fact you've been happy to read The Sun all along, even when you were still "in love" with LFC. And that to me would indeed suggest that you have "a different view of the aftermath".

Back to the footballing matters, I think Cole is a very good move for LFC, and as much as one ever believes a footballer's comments about reasons for joining a new club, he certainly seems to be making very much the right noises.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From this point on, I will do my best to keep my posts to footballing matters such as results, transfer news, upcoming games etc etc. However, I will also not hesitate to address any issue that may come up that I personally feel is unwarranted.

Your words

...Liverpool FC still have to show me as a fan that they deserve my loyalty. My money. My support. ... I am a man who chooses to support, to follow, to take an interest in anything I so wish.

If this means reading The Sun newspaper, or it's website, then so be it.

seemed to suggest that since LFC didn't currently warrant your loyalty, you were content to read The Sun. I am happy to admit that I misinterpreted that, and that in fact you've been happy to read The Sun all along, even when you were still "in love" with LFC. And that to me would indeed suggest that you have "a different view of the aftermath".

Suggestions and misinterpretations. Those are two words that really do sum up this whole matter.

Let me say these few things, as I feel your response - as quoted above - has compelled me to say to myself "hold on, that is just not sitting right with me." :

1. My thoughts about the day many years ago when such a needless tragedy happened will always remain private to me. As I have previously posted, I have friends who went to the aforementioned match, survived and have to live with it every day of their lives.

2. To this day my view on the fallout, aftermath, or which ever word can be used to describe what has since happened, has never changed. Whether it be the way the Police handled the matter, and continue to handle the matter. Whether it be the press coverage by The Sun, or any other newspaper/media outlet. Or even recent comments by current UEFA head Platini who, in an interview, said that Liverpool fans seemed to have blocked out what happened in Heysel where fans lost their lives as well. I am a person who chooses not to tar every or any person with the same brush. I do not hold other Police forces responsible for the way the match and it's aftermath were handled. I do not hold every employee of News International and The Sun newspaper responsible for reporting that still shocks me today. I do hold other employees of UEFA responsible for the ill timed and somewhat ill advised comments of it's President.

3. Throughout my life, I have tried not to let certain events - whether personally or worldwide - influence what I do. A few times in my life I have been unsuccessful in this, and thus paid a heavy price. But, if I choose to read a newspaper, then so be it. I have only read a newspaper on a daily basis for probably the last 10 to 15 years. Prior to that, it was a case of if and when. I am aware that there may well be - I cannot talk for people I do not know, and thus will never presume - a large number of people who boycott The Sun newspaper due to what happened following that dark day many years ago. That is their choice and I will respect it. However, I would in turn hope that they would respect my personal choice to pick up a newspaper to check out it's Sports and TV coverage, and the odd crossword/sudoko puzzle. If they choose not to, then that is their decision and one I will respect.

So, in closing on this response to comments I personally felt needed clarification, I make my own choices in life. I choose not to follow, but to lead.

Back to football matters:

In an interview printed in numerous digital and print media outlets, Roy Hodgson has said that 18 Year Old Danny Wilson will hopefully be the first of many "rough diamonds" form these shores that he brings in to build for the future. He also added that he would be looking at the here and now, and also the future of the Liverpool FC Squad.

Also being reported from the same media outlets, Martin Jol has turned down Fulham in favour of remaining with Ajax.

Edited by Simondo

In an interview reported on teh BBC Website, Martin O'Neill has stated that James Milner is for sale as he has indicated his desire to leave Aston Villa. O'Neill also added that the club had already refused a bid in May from Manchester City as it did not meet with Villa's valuation of Milner. Although not confirmed by Aston Villa, the article reports the May offer to be £20,000,000.

Now I know who he was on about. The complete nutcase who wears no top in all weathers. That guy is mad on the terraces. And he is a bookseller by day? Classic. It is always the quiet ones.

Edited by Simondo

In another example of reckless financial management, the BBC website is reporting that Sheffield Wednesday FC are the latest club to be handed a winding up order by the HMRC over an unpaid tax bill. To me, this is another case of running before you can walk when trying to compete for success. Too many teams are looking at the end game, rather than the steps in between. Signing players on stupid wages, as well as turfing out a stupid signing on fee or transfer fee. When will clubs learn?

It can be done. Look at Arsenal. A prime example of a financially well run club.

New French National Coach Laurent Blanc has had the entire 23 man World Cup 2010 squad suspended by the FFF for the Norway friendly in August. Sky Sports have put the article on their website, along with quotes and the statement from the FFF.

Never mind villa COME ON YOU WOLVES

Too busy ringing bells :D

are you having a laugh mr brody,wolves???

totally agree with the bell comment though!

although id rather have the bells n the drums than that annoying sound from the world cup! :dance:

It can be done. Look at Arsenal. A prime example of a financially well run club.

Buy good players young and cheap and play great flowing football, however, since they built the stadium and stuck to a realistic player wage structure, they havn't won anything but praise, as their best players move elsewhere to get 'closer to the going rate'.

Fabregas will be the next one, whether it's this summer or next year, you can't expect to pay below the going rate and keep a footballer of his quality happy.

I know it's all a matter of perspective, as Fabregas is still on silly money compared to us, but his inetrnational colleagues are all probably on close to double his wages, and as showmasters know full well, agents are there to get the best deal for their clients.

I always thought James Milner was motivated by playing regular football but now know he is just another money grabbing T*o*s*s*e*r.

As a Villa fan i just hope he rots on the subs bench at Man City with his judas fellow money grabbing mate Gaz Barry.

25 million plus Stephen Ireland we would have robbed Man City.

Just off to swill the bitterness out my mouth.

Edited by Lennybear

I always thought James Milner was motivated by playing regular football but now know he is just another money grabbing T*o*s*s*e*r.

As a Villa fan i just hope he rots on the subs bench at Man City with his judas fellow money grabbing mate Gaz Barry.

25 million plus Stephen Ireland we would have robbed Man City.

Just off to swill the bitterness out my mouth.

i tell you what old chum i couldnt have put it better myself,oh well the shirt is there for someone else!

SIEZE THE MOMENT!

they are going to need a big subs bench at city.

The days of loyalty are practically gone, the only top flight player i can think of who would probably stay at his club regardless of where they finish in the premier league or even below that is Jamie Carragher.

Buy good players young and cheap and play great flowing football, however, since they built the stadium and stuck to a realistic player wage structure, they havn't won anything but praise, as their best players move elsewhere to get 'closer to the going rate'.

Fabregas will be the next one, whether it's this summer or next year, you can't expect to pay below the going rate and keep a footballer of his quality happy.

I know it's all a matter of perspective, as Fabregas is still on silly money compared to us, but his inetrnational colleagues are all probably on close to double his wages, and as showmasters know full well, agents are there to get the best deal for their clients.

Very true. But at least they do not have the financial worries of Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and most recently Mallorca who have been removed from the Europa League due to going into administration with £50,000,000 worth of debt. Football primarily, but virtually all sports seem obsessed with money. I can remember when Bath and Bristol rugby clubs won trophies all the time. Then it went fully professional and money changed everything. Agents aside, the worst thing is that the clubs know it is happening but do nothing about it.True supporters of a club would still follow it if they didn't win trophies - look at Liverpool's recent track record - as long as they were run properly. If you look at Liverpool and Manchester United, the biggest gripe for fans is that the respective American owners have lumbered the clubs with massive debt.

It has been confirmed that Albert Reira has secured a move to Olympiakos "to win trophies" according to Sky Sports. An initial fee of £3,600,000 which can rise to over £5,000,000 has been agreed.

In some great news for Liverpool, Dani Pachecho continues to score for Spain U19's in the U19's European Championships. Spain are currently playing Italy with 10 to 15 minutes to go.

Chelsea's Didier Drogba has undergone groin srgery and is another Chelsea first team player who may well miss the start of the season. Full details available on the BBC website.

Edited by Simondo

Promising display from Liverpool today. Still without the World Cup stars, the fringe players and youngsters managed to hold their own against Bundesliga team FC Kaiserslautern. They did lose 1-0, but showed passion and fight according to Sky Sports commentary/reporting.

Sky Sports News have just broken the news that England and Portsmouth Goalkeeper David James will fly to Glasgow on Monday to hold talks with Celtic. If he does move, I think that this would be a tremendous boost for England. Celtic are used to winning, so James will start to get that winning feeling back and keep the number one jersey.

Heard that David N'gog wants to stay at LFC, time for Hodgson to tell the lad a few home truths.

He's still young but if we are looking to be at the top, he is at best a squad player, we need real quality up from to support Torres or whoever if he leaves.