The Football Chat

Daniel

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair play to the youngsters, least experienced and a few returning World Cup players...great result in what could have been a tricky tie. Roll on Anfield for the second leg. From the sound of the match, some of the team were ok/good, whereas others showed a new lease of life. Maybe Roy Hodgson can return pride to this great team?

Just been out on a work do, so just found out the result, not bad and the second leg should be a case of a nice easy pre season match for the bigger stars.

It wasn't on TV was it?

Couldn't find the match. I would play the guys who played tonight. They deserve it. Bring the returning stars in late rn in the match.

Thats OK in theory and if it was a carling cup early round match I'd agree with you, but with only two weeks until we play Arsenal, having the top players coming on at the end of matches isn't going to get players at the peak of match fitness or gelling as a team in time for a game which will go a long way to setting the tone of the rest of the season.

We never recovered from the bad results against Spurs and Villa in the first week last season.

Thats OK in theory and if it was a carling cup early round match I'd agree with you, but with only two weeks until we play Arsenal, having the top players coming on at the end of matches isn't going to get players at the peak of match fitness or gelling as a team in time for a game which will go a long way to setting the tone of the rest of the season.

We never recovered from the bad results against Spurs and Villa in the first week last season.

That is true, but Hodgson has said that they are not anywhere near match fit. They have a friendly on Sunday , and he is considering testing the waters there according to an interview on Sky Sports.

The first game will not set the tone for the rest of the season for the main reason that Liverpool have a new Manager who is realistic about the current state of the squad, the hangover from both the World Cup and last season, and that a win is not expected but rather hoped for. If Liverpool win, then it needs to be instilled in the squad that one result does not a season make. And the same goes if they lose. Hodgson is a totally different manager to Rafa. Rafa came across as someone who couldn't see what was in front of him. But RH is someone who will admit if something isn't right. Before yesterday's game he admitted that his team were not ready for a match that important. He admitted that they were the fringe players and youngsters who didn't have too much experience. With that, the team played a blinder last night. He seems to be able to motivate his team publicly, which is something Rafa never really did.

Being a Bristol lad, I have just seen that Daivd James has signed for Bristol City...WOW!!!

As was proven by the loss on Sunday, the returning World Cup stars are still trying for match fitness. It was an encouraging display and a way forward.

Fernando Torres has committed his future to the club in an interview on LFC TV and the website. This is the most enthusiastic verbal display from him in a while. In the last year or so he seemed bored and frustrated. Maybe the rumours about the bad relationship between Rafa and the squad were somewhat on the mark.

With 6 bids in place, and one being very open about clearing the debt, building the stadium and giving Roy money for players...the future could well be bright fro Liverpool.

And in a sad bit of news, former Liverpool player Gary Ablett - currently Ipswich coach - has been diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Fingers crossed for Gary and his future battle.

Great news that Pompey have a chance to rebuild. With HMRC failing in their attempt to block a CVA, they can now get back to football. Good Luck Pompey.

Even better news, Liverpool are winning 4-0 over two legs at Half Time in their Europa League qualifier.

much to the news that martin o`neill has resigned B) id just like to say as he has had 4 years to win us a trophy which though we went close last year your only remembered if you are a winner.he has done a fantastic job though ;) and has raised our expectations up a level,just hope now that mr lerner makes a important appointment

early contenders are martin jol and alan curbishley,the first would be my choice! :thumbup:thought jol done a good job at spurs!

Edited by malc75

Great news that Pompey have a chance to rebuild. With HMRC failing in their attempt to block a CVA, they can now get back to football. Good Luck Pompey.

I have very mixed feelings about this. I have quite a soft spot for Pompey, at least the fans and the atmosphere at Fratton Park. I'm not so sure about the business that is the football club. There's a good summary of the situation in this BBC blog - basically the business management at Pompey has played fast and loose with the finances, and screwed over a lot of people. OK, I can see the need for the integrity of the league that other clubs, and indeed players, get paid in full, but by and large these are not impoverished businesses or individuals. Meanwhile any number of local small businesses, many of which are impoverished and struggling, are stuck with a CVA which will see them being repaid something like 20% of what they're owed, at some point over the next five years. Yes, they voted for that, but only because that was more than they would likely get if the club was wound up. It's a pretty crappy situation for a small businessman to be in when his best option is to get back 4% a year of what he's owed for the next five years and then that's yer lot.

It's also a pretty crappy deal for you and me, both as taxpayers and citizens. Now the administrators admit that HMRC were owed £24million. HMRC say that it's owed £37 million, but seem to have made rather a mess of challenging this in a timely fashion. At any rate; if HMRC get back 20% of £24m over the next five years, that's £4.8m, and that sees HMRC (and by extension, UK plc) out of pocket by between £19.2million and £32.2 million (plus interest), depending upon who you believe about tax liabilities.

I can't help but draw a parallel. HMRC will be shorted £19.2 million over five years by PFC. The same day it was announced that Royal Berkshire Hospital will be shedding 600 jobs over that same five year period, in an effort to save £60 million.

Now I know the money isn't directly transferable, and I'm not saying that the NHS is a paragon of virtue about managing its spending and that there is no fat to cut. But I can't help looking at those figures and thinking that if PFC had been run responsibly and sensibly, that lost tax would have paid for 192 of those hospital jobs to stay. And much as I respect the history of PFC and admire the passion of their fans, I do find myself wondering how fair it is.

Like I say, I have no answers, but I do have a bittersweet taste in my mouth...

From what I understand coming out of HMRC statements throughout this whole situation, is that the delays and raises in the debt level appear to have been down to them quite significantly. From when Pompey first had financial issues, the amount HMRC claimed that they were owed was a small percentage of the £24,000,000 Pompey claim they now owe them. Penalty after penalty was added, despite the fact no end was in sight. I have considered that this was possibly done to ensure that the original amount is garnered through the CVA reduced repayment. Two days before the CVA vote, HMRC raised the stakes by claiming another £13,000,000. If it is just 20% that HMRC will get, and I seem to remember hearing that they will actually get more than that, then that amount will be nearer to what they were originally owed.

CVA's do impact businesses connected to the company concerned. However, it does begger belief that some of these businesses that are owed money by Pompey continued to supply goods and services when they were not getting paid. Where my sympathies lie with those who have lost money, if a business allows an outstanding balance to grow like some apparently have, then a portion of the blame must lie with them.

I truly hope that Pompey learn from this. It seems the Premier League have. With the current take over of Liverpool coming to a head, the new owners coming in will have already proven that they have the money and equity to do what they promise.

Edited by Simondo

much to the news that martin o`neill has resigned :D id just like to say as he has had 4 years to win us a trophy which though we went close last year your only remembered if you are a winner.he has done a fantastic job though :lol: and has raised our expectations up a level,just hope now that mr lerner makes a important appointment

early contenders are martin jol and alan curbishley,the first would be my choice! :thumbup:thought jol done a good job at spurs!

how about gary megson malc75 :(

much to the news that martin o`neill has resigned :D id just like to say as he has had 4 years to win us a trophy which though we went close last year your only remembered if you are a winner.he has done a fantastic job though :D and has raised our expectations up a level,just hope now that mr lerner makes a important appointment

how about gary megson malc75 :P

Id rather have Megson than Mick (i own an irish setter so that makes me irish) McCarthy. :D

much to the news that martin o`neill has resigned :o id just like to say as he has had 4 years to win us a trophy which though we went close last year your only remembered if you are a winner.he has done a fantastic job though :YAHOO: and has raised our expectations up a level,just hope now that mr lerner makes a important appointment

how about gary megson malc75 :(

Id rather have Megson than Mick (i own an irish setter so that makes me irish) McCarthy. :(

LOVELY STUFF!!

Hmmm the thread seems to have turned into Liverpool chat! Off to an international tonight - Italy v Ivory Coast. No idea which team I'll be supporting, depends which fans I end up with when I get there I guess!

I was thinking that as well...we need more supporters. Mind you, the Prem starts this weekend, so it should pick up.

Carling Cup this week, and Pompey won.

Bristol City v Millwall has not had any trouble in Bristol for many years, but that changed this past weekend with trouble away from the ground. Sad times.

much to the news that martin o`neill has resigned :o id just like to say as he has had 4 years to win us a trophy which though we went close last year your only remembered if you are a winner.he has done a fantastic job though :D and has raised our expectations up a level,just hope now that mr lerner makes a important appointment

how about gary megson malc75 :D

Id rather have Megson than Mick (i own an irish setter so that makes me irish) McCarthy. :dance:

LOVELY STUFF!!

super micks too good for the villa