The Football Chat

Daniel

Hi Everyone

Its that time again, tomorrow is the big day!

So, who is going to be watching the opening match and ceremony. Who is everyones pick to win the cup.

Whatever you World Cup chat you want, right here.

Come on England!

Edited by Queen_Sindel

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

At the moment, I'd probably go with Argentina or Spain, though it wouldn't surprise me if it came down to Brazil and France. You can't underestimate them. Same with Germany really.

Pretty good opening ceremony. That soccer city stadium looks amazing.

Looking forward to the opening match. Not sure who will win, but I hope South Africa do, it'll be a good start to the cup. Enjoy.

Great start. I was urging S Africa on. Brilliant goal. Really want SA to do well, as it always seems better when the hosts stay in for awhile, but 1-1 seemed a fair result.

Its like they were saying though, South Africa has already won just by staging it.

Looking forward to the rest. Tonight should be good too.

Winner, maybe Argentina, maybe Spain now they've got the Euro win experience.

I think that too many people have written England off, and in some ways this could help the team relax. If expectations are low, but support is there from the people watching, maybe Football could be coming home...

I have a niggling feeling that Wayne Rooney may well win the Golden Boot.

Spain have a few problems with big names being barely match fit due to late season injuries.

France are playing shockingly bad.

Germany have lost influential Ballack.

Portugal have lost Nani.

Argentina, supposed favourites, have a few injury issues, along with a Manager/Coach who used over 80 squad member sin barely qualifying.

Could 2010 be lucky for the Players of the Three lions?

Edited by Will Jones

England are capable of winning, the only people who don't seem to realise that are the English :wub:

I will always back England. I think Brazil could be the biggest threat.

As for the first day. I enjoyed South Africa v Mexico, shame South Africa didn't win, but not bad. Enjoying France v Urugauy. 0-0 at half-time, so we will see.

While Spain look to be the best team going into the tournament, I wonder how well the favourates tag will sit with them as the tournament goes on. I have a sneaking suspicion that it might all go wrong for them at some stage like it did in the Confederations Cup last summer. Personally I think it might be Brazil this year.

It'll be interesting to see how England make out tonight, I don't think it is going to be a great game to watch and I think people may even need to prepare for the fact that it may end up as a draw. Whenever I see the US play, they tend to defend quite deeply and England aren't always the best at getting behind teams like that, hopefully that might be where the pace of Lennon can be a useful weapon for us.

While Spain look to be the best team going into the tournament, I wonder how well the favourates tag will sit with them as the tournament goes on. I have a sneaking suspicion that it might all go wrong for them at some stage like it did in the Confederations Cup last summer.

Same thing I was thinking.

I can remember the last time when everyone here thought Portugal would win the tournament for sure. :D

For the moment I am also going with Brazil.

I'm slightly torn here because historically I have no love for Argentina but as a Liverpool fan we do have Maxi and Mascherano in the Argentine squad so I would like to see them do well.

Greece were poor today, S. Korea fully deserved to win that game.

the france paraguay game last night was awful

I actually fell asleep about 10 minutes before the end. :YAHOO:

I thought Greece could be a close call, but seeing them loose 0-2 came as a surprise too.

Their coach was my home team's coach for several years, so I do have quite a soft spot for them.

Tonight am going to be sooo torn.

I'm English, was born here etc etc etc.

But I have such a Love for America, a wonderful country, etc.

:YAHOO:

Edited by KingRichard76

Oh darn, Argentina won :D .

Looking forward to tonight, I love visiting USA and have family there, but there is no question who I am supporting tonight.

Come on England!

Know exactly what you mean there, am in the same boat :D

1-1 :D

Not a bad performance from the lads, USA were always going to be difficult and I do think we were the better team and very unlucky to concede that equaliser. Got to concentrate on the Algeria match next week.

What did everyone else think?

right first off, a draw isnt the end of the world, we looked good in the first half aside the howler.

and at least maybe its a good thing in terms of kicking some of them up the ass and getting the niggles out of the way. capelo also seemed to still be experimenting.

my thoughts outside that?

why is milner starting? i like him but he is not a starter, why not j cole?

why did swp get on who cant pass for toffee or shoot (aside the odd stunner), why not j cole?

why is crouch (i like him and im a spurs fan) coming on for hesky, hesky did well at winning the ball and had a good pass for the goal but he cant score for toffee and with the stars we have we should not need to play long ball to the tall player. we needed a change and we didnt get it.

why do england keepers seem to always (in my life time anyway) make howlers in world and euro cups and qualifiers? off the top of my head, shilton, woods, seamen, james, robinson, carlson all made em on big stage.

lamps needs to pull his finger out. and do something, what happened to the always shooting lamps of 5 years ago? where is the chelsea lamps who always scores and gets in the box? aside a decent shot he seemed absent in this game

dafoe, when the hell will he get a decent chance? for christ sake.

carra, needs t watch himself, he can be a dirty player i think, gets away with alot at liverpool especially in the last 2 seasons. now he is on a yellow, imagine he gets enough to be suspended for a game and kings knee gives in, gonna be light at the back.

the midfield need to make more space and give better balls for roony.

keegan should never be allowed to commentate ever, whatever he says and its always good the opposite happens. "theres only one team gonna win with now, england" "were gonna win this 4-1" please no more lol

major plus points, gerrard was brilliant at last in an england shirt.

johnson seemed good both going forward and defending

hesky who seems likely to start regardless (i dont know why) had a decent game and was immense in the air

on another note, whats going on, james corden is bloody on everything, like barrowman a few years ago lol but barrowman is class, corden over rated

It was a good game.

Cringeworthy and Powerful.

Am glad it was a Draw :D

I hope you're saying that because it's better than a loss? lol no one is glad of a draw.

I'm totally appalled at Green they're paid over the odds to do a job, and that was beyond s***. Heskey played great as did gerard and though it pains me to say it Howard