The Football Chat

Daniel

Have to say well done the England ODC team, they fully deserved it. Personally I thing at least some of the criticism of England's game against Germany is a little harsh. We were by no means amazing but I don't think it was as bad as Algeria by a long shot.

I think some of the trouble is we all expect England to be 10/10 and be world beaters but they just aren't that good in reality. Then when we lose we're 1/10 and almost the worst team ever! It's too seesaw over here. I'm not sure where both teams were ranked but I'm sure Germany are a place or two above us...for a reason, they're a better team.

We may have "great" or "world class" players, but it doesn't mean they can play together as a team! I think there needs to be a re-think in the way the squad is selected so maybe some of the time a lot the bigger names may not be there. You need to pick the players that are best as a team in my opinion and some of them aren't.

On a side note, my dad just thinks it's because most of the England players are thicker than other countries so don't know how to break teams down or defend as well. Not really sure whether I agree or not.

Have to say well done the England ODC team, they fully deserved it. Personally I thing at least some of the criticism of England's game against Germany is a little harsh. We were by no means amazing but I don't think it was as bad as Algeria by a long shot.

I think some of the trouble is we all expect England to be 10/10 and be world beaters but they just aren't that good in reality. Then when we lose we're 1/10 and almost the worst team ever! It's too seesaw over here. I'm not sure where both teams were ranked but I'm sure Germany are a place or two above us...for a reason, they're a better team.

We may have "great" or "world class" players, but it doesn't mean they can play together as a team! I think there needs to be a re-think in the way the squad is selected so maybe some of the time a lot the bigger names may not be there. You need to pick the players that are best as a team in my opinion and some of them aren't.

On a side note, my dad just thinks it's because most of the England players are thicker than other countries so don't know how to break teams down or defend as well. Not really sure whether I agree or not.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, good old fashioned English football chant about the ref!!!

"The referee's a winker?"

Marvellous, just as I thought I couldn't possibly be more proud to be English!

In the jungle, South African jungle,

3 lions sleep tonight,

Cos in the morning, the early morning

they have to catch a flight.

A win ..no way! A win..no way! A win..no way!

:thumbup::clap::WAVE:

Edited by dufresne

I never understand why the Welsh, Scottish and Irish never back England in the World Cup etc.

If England failed to qualify for the world cup but say Scotland did, I would definitely be backing them. I'd never be hoping they were knocked out and celebrating when they were...

I think you'll find that the reason Scots, Welsh and Irish mostly don't back England in these types of tournaments is because of all the media hype that goes on (ie referencing 1966 every 5 mins!). It even happened in the recent Robbie Williams Socceraid tournament (the donation line ended in 1966!!).

Anyway, I wouldn't take it too seriously as it all boils down to friendly rivalry.

:unsure:

You mean Northern Irish, but that's ok.

The reason many of us don't support England is simply because we're not English !! It's like in Eurovision when Spain and Portugal always vote for each other with no bearing on the song - stupid ! Support a team / country that entertain you - not one that live near you ffs !

English football is going wrong due to the wages and the clubs treating the players as if they were super special. They should make them meet fans not snub them and have them earn a lot less with bonuses for performance.

It's also a disgrace to see that Liverpool, Cheslea and Man Utd can't play together, I am an avid United supporter and despise Lampart and Gerrard in the prem when they play against us but hope for them to score for England. Football is played between two TEAMS and England need to stop being such arrogant bigheaded individuals and play as a team. It has worked a few times in the qualifiers why not in a tournament where it matters?

Sure that disallowed goal was upsetting but they are all grown men who should get on with it and focus on scoring even more then instead holding a grudge. I am sorry to say but they did not deserve to go further and only deserved to go home after their performance in all the World Cup games.

English football is going wrong due to the wages and the clubs treating the players as if they were super special. They should make them meet fans not snub them and have them earn a lot less with bonuses for performance.

It's also a disgrace to see that Liverpool, Cheslea and Man Utd can't play together, I am an avid United supporter and despise Lampart and Gerrard in the prem when they play against us but hope for them to score for England. Football is played between two TEAMS and England need to stop being such arrogant bigheaded individuals and play as a team. It has worked a few times in the qualifiers why not in a tournament where it matters?

Sure that disallowed goal was upsetting but they are all grown men who should get on with it and focus on scoring even more then instead holding a grudge. I am sorry to say but they did not deserve to go further and only deserved to go home after their performance in all the World Cup games.

This is why so many people have it wrong about football. Just because a player or players ply their trade in the top league of the country does not mean they can translate that to international football. Just because they play very well for their individual teams, does not mean an international call up will translate in to success. On the other hand, playing badly for your team doesn't always mean that you will mirror this form for your country. David James had a nightmare campaign for Portsmouth, but was solid for England. He was not responsible for one of those goals against Germany.

Some players simply do not play well for their country. It has gone on through the whole of football's history, and will repeat itself again and again. Some players will not mesh with others - Lampard and Gerrard for example - as both are too alike. That is why Gerrard and Alonso played so well together at Liverpool a few years back as they understood each other.

Being paid a fortune or being made to feel super special is no argument either. Carlos Tevez is paid a fortune by Man City, yet plays well for Argentina. The list can go on and on. England had a few good results in the Qualifiers, but the World Cup is like the FA Cup in England/Wales. It is something a little bit special. Small teams play out of their boots as it is often a once in a lifetime chance to play in it.

Yes, England did not deserve to progress further. But then again, neither did Italy or France.

I am not defending the England team, but rather the sport. I have previously said that both England and Liverpool have to earn my respect and monetary support again as they have both performed so passionless it is beyond belief.

Anyway, great to see Holland (Netherlands) through. Some tasty ties are simmering for the QF round.

Oh. and it is not just in England where the wages are high. Spain is way higher. They just happen to have move players in successful league sides that can play well together at International level. But that was not always the way.

Edited by Will Jones

Brazil are looking more and more impressive with each game, I think the only teams that might stop them are Argentina or Spain.

Reckon Howartd Webb the English ref will get the final - two very difficult games referreed in a row and almost perfect performance on each occassion, which is more than can be said about anything that happened on Sunday!

hate portugal, hope spain spank them, im betting 3-1 spain with torres scoring 2, or will torres be spains roony at this world cup lol

Torres was never going to be match fit following two operations towards the end of the regular season.