Photographers.

gemma85

I wasnt quite sure where to put this so I thought I would just start a new topic.

I had pics with Linda, Chaske, Barry and the amazing Michelle Forbes and for the most part, they came out great. In fact I was pleasantly surprised because I thought my hair was going to be all frizzy from queing in the rain but luckily, it behaved itself lol

However there was something that was niggling away at me though. When it came time for both me and my sis's photo with Michelle in Photo B, she put her arm around us aswell as hold our hands at the front, cuddling us in. It was a nice experience but one that was missed in the actual photo. Instead of being taken portrait it was taken landscape and completely missed the pose, so all we have is an upper body shot which looks rather generic. As I stated, all the pictures came out great but it's just a shame that when we had such a nice pose, it wasnt captured on film.

As the weekend went on, it became clear that we weren't the only people experiencing this and it appeared in the actual photo shoots themselves, unless you asked for the pic to be taken portrait, it just seemed automatically to be done landscape.

The pose was a spur of the moment thing, intiated by Michelle herself so therefore there was no way of being able to ask for the pic to be taken portrait. However, I dont really think it should have to be necessary to ask the photographer. As a professional, they should be on the ball enough to realise how the picture should be taken to get the best shot.

I am pleased with my pics overall but it's a shame and a little disapointing that when you spend the money you do on having a photo with the guests, in some cases, you dont get quite the result that you would expect when a professional photographer is taking the picture.

Anyways, was a great weekend overall and this was my only complaint.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen portrait photos in the past I've had portrait photos taken of myself (I prefer landscape cus im a fattttty lol)

You have to bare in mind they don't have a lot of time to think oh that looks artistic, they take them in the best way they seem possible.

Edited by Talie

I have to say the first picture I received was of me and Patrick Stewart and that was done great.

The photographer asked me to wait and took a second shot on all my shoots so I think the gentleman who was taking the photo was definately trying his best to obtain the best possible shot.

I haven't seen a couple of my others as am waiting on the arrival of the posted photos but I agree with your point about missing the spur of the moment pose especially when it is initiated by the guest, that makes it all the more special. I felt I had a spur of the moment pose with Linda and If that isn't captured in the photo I receive, I will be very disappointed! :D

fingers crossed the moment is captured :YAHOO: otherwise I will think very carefully for the next time about how the photo is done and will think about the outcome beforehand and have to request either portrait or landscape depending on the pose. Even if I have to pay for another photo ... if it is a great guest and the spur of the moment pose feels right.. I want the perfect photo! :angel:

I have seen portrait photos in the past I've had portrait photos taken of myself (I prefer landscape cus im a fattttty lol)

You have to bare in mind they don't have a lot of time to think oh that looks artistic, they take them in the best way they seem possible.

I respect that point of view and can sort of see where your coming from but I dont feel that is really acceptable because the other photographer manages to do it all the time. I mean how hard or time consuming can it be to turn the camera?

I dont want to cause trouble or start a problem but I just think it's not too much to ask to get the best possible pic when you've paid for it.

I have to say the first picture I received was of me and Patrick Stewart and that was done great.

The photographer asked me to wait and took a second shot on all my shoots so I think the gentleman who was taking the photo was definately trying his best to obtain the best possible shot.

I haven't seen a couple of my others as am waiting on the arrival of the posted photos but I agree with your point about missing the spur of the moment pose especially when it is initiated by the guest, that makes it all the more special. I felt I had a spur of the moment pose with Linda and If that isn't captured in the photo I receive, I will be very disappointed!:D

fingers crossed the moment is captured :YAHOO: otherwise I will think very carefully for the next time about how the photo is done and will think about the outcome beforehand and have to request either portrait or landscape depending on the pose. Even if I have to pay for another photo ... if it is a great guest and the spur of the moment pose feels right.. I want the perfect photo! :angel:

All my photos that I have had in the past with the male photographer have always come out great, he always checks, retakes if needed and changes the camera to suit the pose if required. :D

I'm saying this with all due respect to the female photographer, because I've had some FANTASTIC shots with her, but I think the reason that she is on Photo B and Malcolm is on the busier Photo A is because Malcolm is the most experienced one of the two and therefore is more likely to think on his feet and change shots quickly.

Perhaps you could send an e-mail and this can be mentioned to her as an improvement for the future. I've seen an improvement in the photos I've had with her so far (and with Malcolm's too!) so I'm sure with feedback both of them will continue to improve.

HOWEVER... complaints or no complaints, they are still the two best photographers in the convention/events business.

I usually end up having two or three photos taken, because I am stupidly short and even with the women sometimes he needs to switch to portrait to get a good frame.

Edited by Psychosis

Shame you didn't get the pose captured :(

I have had some great shots from Malcolm and find that he does both portrait and landscape really well and is a nice guy too :smile:

However I have only had one experience with a/the female photographer and mine too was quite disappointing :( It was at Hallowhedon with Mark Lutz. He was giving me a massive hug and it would have made a great portrait photo, however it was taken landscape too and doesn't really capture the pose. Plus it makes me look like a floating head as I am so engulfed by him lol! So yeah, I feel your pain!

malcolm is awesome

sometimes they both do landscape and sometimes portrait, i prefer landscape BUT sometimes I do feel the landscape ones are to close up, because im tall sometimes it looks as though only the guests head is in the pic with me, I much prefer landscape but from waist sorta area ( of the guest) up, I really wish my myannna and first michelle ones were not as close however they still came out great.

but yer sometimes the guests hand on your waist or around you is missed for a closer shot, I guess for me its worse as im very tall and makes it harder for the photographers.

malcolm and the other lady i dont know/remember her name sorry are both really good, very good though, especially considering how many they have to get through each day! I mean does malcolm even have a lunch break? I doubt it, he is like a machine in the photo booth at every event ive been to. super guy.

my only request on a personal level would be a more wider or further away shot, so there is more of the guest in the pic with me, but then Im fat also so dont want to much of me in the pic lol, im fussy like that.

Edited by timelord81r

The only criticism I have of all the photo sessions I had(and I had many) was that all of my photo shoot B photos were over to the left hand side, often cutting off my hand round the celeb, or even just the celebs shoulder, whereas there was plenty of space at the right hand side. Wouldn't mind if the original digital version was still around and this could be re-cropped

I'm delighted with all my photos and prefer the upper body landscape shots as they are more flattering to me (*cough*), but I know what you mean. I like both photographers (is the lady who was doing the B shots called Diane?), but Malcolm is more adaptable switching from landscape to portrait (during hug shots, for example), I've noticed. As Psychosis mentioned, he is the more experienced photographer, but even he's changing his technique as things go on - when I compare my photos over the last year to the ones he did of me at Eclipse, say, there's a noticeable improvement in lighting and texture (my skin looks so nice and so totally unlike my actual complexion!), not to mention him helping me to pose properly for photos as I used to SUCK. So, it never hurts to give constructive feedback.

it just seemed automatically to be done landscape.
I mean how hard or time consuming can it be to turn the camera?
I use a DSLR but am certianly not a professional photogfrapher, barely an amatuer so this is partial speculation on my part. Due to the design (controls etc) it is more awkward to use a DSLR camera constantly in portrait mode, the photographer is in a more unnatrual posture which can be uncomfortable. Also they are fairly heavy compared to point & shoot cameras. So to have a whole photoshoot session, sometimes lasting 90 minutes, in portrait would be a lot to ask. They could use a tripod but then when there are more than two people in the shot the framing would not work without moving the tripod. Yes you can change the lens to a short focal length but that would result in distortion to the faces.

I agree sometimes that a portrait shot would be more pleasing. That is down to the photographers experience in picking up on that which I have had on occasions from both of them. Under the circumstances, time constraints etc, they both do an excellent job.

The only criticism I have of all the photo sessions I had(and I had many) was that all of my photo shoot B photos were over to the left hand side, often cutting off my hand round the celeb, or even just the celebs shoulder, whereas there was plenty of space at the right hand side. Wouldn't mind if the original digital version was still around and this could be re-cropped
That may well be pure coincidence that they are all from area B. Where they all Saturday photos? There were problems at the printing stage with people getting cut off slightly. It may be worth enquiring.

All my photos that I have had in the past with the male photographer have always come out great, he always checks, retakes if needed and changes the camera to suit the pose if required. :smile:
They both always check the photo after taking it. Unlike other photo sessions I have been in!

I mean does malcolm even have a lunch break? I doubt it, he is like a machine in the photo booth at every event ive been to. super guy.
You missed the shoot with Eve Myles at your first event, LFCC. I had barely sat down before it was 'next'. The smile Eve had was based on bemusement at the speed, not a normal posed photo smile :( !

I've noticed. As Psychosis mentioned, he is the more experienced photographer, but even he's changing his technique as things go on - when I compare my photos over the last year to the ones he did of me at Eclipse, say, there's a noticeable improvement in lighting and texture (my skin looks so nice and so totally unlike my actual complexion!),
You are right. Looking back at my first photos from three years ago with Charisma Carpenter, Avery Brooks, Brandon Routh etc they look very harsh compared to now. I think it is mostly a change in the lighting system which has helped with the improvement. Edited by 1of2

Plus it makes me look like a floating head
That's what we need in a photoshoot with Norman Lovett!

You missed the shoot with Eve Myles at your first event, LFCC. I had barely sat down before it was 'next'. The smile Eve had was based on bemusement at the speed, not a normal posed photo smile :P !

400 Myles per hour. :P

:poki:

I usually end up having two or three photos taken, because I am stupidly short and even with the women sometimes he needs to switch to portrait to get a good frame.
Consider that an advantage. You get extra photos :D !

@1of2

yer my first event I didnt get an eve one cos at the time I hated her character of gwen in TW, (I now love her in TW)

and I was a newbie and did crazythings like not getting a jewel shot, im an idiot.

though the michael shanks shoot was also mega busy and mega fast lol

they are great photographers, just on a personal level more of the guest below the head in my shots would be appreciated ;-)

like my danny john jules shot from CM16. or even the dwarf group shots which by the way I love, malcolm you were right and I thank you for taking that first one for me which is awesome, reminded me a bit of the upward looking cast publicity shots they do on dwarf particulay back to earth ones.

Likewise. No sign of the chair. I have shown that to a few people and none of them worked out we were sat down. Apart from one person who got close with "Patrick is taller than I thought" :poki:

(is the lady who was doing the B shots called Diane?)
Danielle

No negatives about her, she is as good as Malcolm and worthy of the status of Professional. :poki:

The photos I have had done when she was the photographer have been great, so I am happy with either of them. Its not as easy a thing to do as you expect, no tripods, strong arm, around a thousand photos taken over the event, making sure each one is correct and taking extras shots if gone wrong Glasses etc... so no negatives. Though perhaps maybe Danielle shoud wear a hawaii shirt next time. :P

Waiting to see the photos returned is always a worry, was I smiling, hows the hair etc... but to date, I ve always been happy with the photo, even though I always make the guests look great.

However, I do often look at the other photos on the table whilst collecting mine and I see ones in potrait, body shots, funny posses etc and wonder about how its decided etc. do you ask before hand??

Anyhow, both photographers are Professionals and are a credit to the SM team. :D

That may well be pure coincidence that they are all from area B. Where they all Saturday photos? There were problems at the printing stage with people getting cut off slightly. It may be worth enquiring.

The photos I got were on both Saturday and Sunday, and all of them were over to the left cutting some of the celebrity off

However, I do often look at the other photos on the table whilst collecting mine and I see ones in potrait, body shots, funny posses etc and wonder about how its decided etc. do you ask before hand??

Anyhow, both photographers are Professionals and are a credit to the SM team. :poki:

For poses, props etc it's up to you to ask the guest - I should imagine what you're doing then dictates whether it's a portrait or landscape shot (outside of the standard arms around pose of course).

Both Malcolm and Danielle are great, but bizarrely the one solitary 'fuzzy' shot was a Malcolm - considering the volume and speed he works at I think I can forgive him for not noticing though :P

Likewise. No sign of the chair. I have shown that to a few people and none of them worked out we were sat down. Apart from one person who got close with "Patrick is taller than I thought" :poki:

i think with seated guest they delibratly try to cut out the chair so it doesnt look seated, thats what I assumed? which is good, sometimes i think seated ones look less personal especially if you see the chair

ive never had the guts to ask for a pose, im to shy, ive seen some great poses both at SM events and others specifically american cons where some ppl get superp sposes and some even have ones like them lying down on the floor and the actor say teryl from sg1 pretending to check there pulse, how do you get the balls to ask for something that elaberate? wish I had those balls lol.

wish I had the guts to ask for really proper close hugs with the female guests also ;-) or like one guy did at cm16 mr fribble with chris barrie holding the puppet

Edited by timelord81r

I had the female photographer for my Sunday Chaske shoots and the photos are Absolutely fab!! Chaske was up for a laugh which really helped, got 3 pics with him:

1st: he was being "scary" and I was "scared"

2nd: we done charlie's angels (my avatar pic)

3rd: he let me and my friend pretend to bite him!! :D

I had the female photographer for my Sunday Chaske shoots and the photos are Absolutely fab!! Chaske was up for a laugh which really helped, got 3 pics with him:

1st: he was being "scary" and I was "scared"

2nd: we done charlie's angels (my avatar pic)

3rd: he let me and my friend pretend to bite him!! :D

Ohhh, could you post the pics on here? Would love to see them!