London Tube Closures

reneeadamson09

The pinned 'venue is olympia 2' thread has a lot of underground info, including how to get from certain main stations to the event next weekend.

Thanks for posting anyway, every little helps! Plus your title is clearer.

Anyone need any underground help and directions?

I'm coming from Liverpool Street and am in two minds about what way to get to Olympia. I had thought about getting the Hammersmith and City line and getting off at Hammersmith and walking. But I don't know if it would be better to get the Central Line to Holborn and change to the Piccadilly Line to Earls Court. Any advice? Many thanks.

Thanks for the link.

It would appear that services are suspended between Whitechapel and Earls Court on the District Line, but so long as I can get to and from Earls Court from other District Line routes, I should be OK to get to Kensington Olympia from there. Hope this doesn't disrupt everyone too much...

I'm coming from Liverpool Street and am in two minds about what way to get to Olympia. I had thought about getting the Hammersmith and City line and getting off at Hammersmith and walking. But I don't know if it would be better to get the Central Line to Holborn and change to the Piccadilly Line to Earls Court. Any advice? Many thanks.

Using the venue postcode of W14 8UX, the station postcodes from the jolly useful metazone site and the joys of google maps, the following are the approximate walking distances to the venue from various tube stations

Earl's Court 1.1 miles

Hammersmith 0.8 miles

High Street Ken 1 mile

Baron's Court 0.7 miles

West Kensington 0.6 miles

Shepherd's Bush 0.8 miles

Goldhawk Road 1 mile

Tina - the journey time seems to be roughly the same for both routes: around half an hour. Which day(s) are you coming, and what time do you want to arrive?

Just attending on the Sunday. Have an early bird ticket. I'm not wanting any VT tickets so am not concerned about getting there really early. Just wondered if going the Hammersmith route would be more out of the way than getting the Central Line then Piccadilly Line. I think the Hammersmith way would be less stressful as I am picturing that the Piccadilly Line is going to be very busy. But then I also have visions of me going totally the wrong way when I get off at Hammersmith.:thumbup:

Edited by Tina

The venue is part of a major exhibition centre. The tube station was built primarily to serve that centre. I am sure that the venue will be both close to and well signposted from the tube station. (Actually I know it is very close to it, having used the tube station before, but since I knew where the venue was I've never bothered looking for/taking notice of signs.

Put it this way, I suppose theoretically you could come out of the tube station and not see the venue or work out where it was, but you'd have to keep your eyes down, avoid any signage and then turn the wrong way on the main road once you came out - it'd be almost impossible to do accidentally.

As you come out of the tube station, you walk alongside a large building on your right. That is Olympia National Hall and part of the Olympia venue, which also houses Olympia Grand Hall, Olympia West Hall, and Olympia Conference Centre as well as Olympia Two. When you get to the main road, turn right, so that you walk along the front of the building. Olympia Two is at the far end of the Olympia site as you walk along the main road, next to the entrance for the conference centre. When you come out of the tube station, you have to walk about 100-150 metres down Olympia Way, alongside the Olympia site to get to the main road. You then turn right along the main road and walka about 100-150 metres along the front of the Olympia site to get to the entrance to Olympia Two.

Just wondering how long does it take to walk from Kensington station to the venue

Which Kensington station? Kensington Olympia? If so, its right outside the venue.

West Ken is further away, but walkable, as is Hammersmith.

Depending on your walking speed I would say no more than 15-20 mins from both stations to the venue.

As for seeing the venue, yes it is a big building, but so are lots of the others around. You can occasionally see the very top. From West Ken you can just see the roof.

PS...TommyT, just so you know, the station wasn't purpose built for the venue. The station was there 40 odd years before the venue was built. Lots of people think that!

Just attending on the Sunday. Have an early bird ticket. I'm not wanting any VT tickets so am not concerned about getting there really early. Just wondered if going the Hammersmith route would be more out of the way than getting the Central Line then Piccadilly Line. I think the Hammersmith way would be less stressful as I am picturing that the Piccadilly Line is going to be very busy. But then I also have visions of me going totally the wrong way when I get off at Hammersmith.:D

Hi Tina

I don't know how busy either route is likely to be early on a Sunday. Both pass through some popular stations, and both will be taking up slack from the closures of other Tube lines.

If you do go to Hammersmith on the H&C Line, turn left as you exit the station and head down Hammersmith Road. Keep going and, 10 minutes later, you'll come across the venue on your left.

The H&C Line station entrance/exit is the big red dot on this map, which I thought it might be handy to include so you can see the only real distraction: Shepherd's Bush Road. Avoid going down there and you can't go wrong.

hammersmithandcity.jpg

(Note: if you travel to Hammersmith on the Piccadilly Line, the entrance/exit is in a different place - it's across the road - and you'll need to turn right instead when you exit the station.)

Edited by MinkyKnights

I'm coming on saturday from St Pancras and was planning on meeting my friend at Kensington Olympia station at 10.30am. What would be the best line(s) for me to take?

I'd take the Piccadilly Line to Earl's Court (11 stops), and change on to the District Line to Kensington Olympia (1 stop). The journey should take around half an hour.

I honestly have no idea how I'm getting to the event on the Saturday, which isn't good considering I want to be there for around 9. I'm coming from Hatfield this year, and as far as I know I'm going to go to Kings Cross St Pancras from Hatfield station but from there I have no idea. Reading through all this information is scaring me, lol, but hopefully I'll be able to work out my route :D

I honestly have no idea how I'm getting to the event on the Saturday, which isn't good considering I want to be there for around 9. I'm coming from Hatfield this year, and as far as I know I'm going to go to Kings Cross St Pancras from Hatfield station but from there I have no idea. Reading through all this information is scaring me, lol, but hopefully I'll be able to work out my route :D

Its not too bad...

You should be able to get a southbound Piccadilly Line train from Kings Cross to Earls Court, then from there get the District Line (Olympia) branch straight to Kensington Olympia station.

Just attending on the Sunday. Have an early bird ticket. I'm not wanting any VT tickets so am not concerned about getting there really early. Just wondered if going the Hammersmith route would be more out of the way than getting the Central Line then Piccadilly Line. I think the Hammersmith way would be less stressful as I am picturing that the Piccadilly Line is going to be very busy. But then I also have visions of me going totally the wrong way when I get off at Hammersmith.:D

Hi Tina

I don't know how busy either route is likely to be early on a Sunday. Both pass through some popular stations, and both will be taking up slack from the closures of other Tube lines.

If you do go to Hammersmith on the H&C Line, turn left as you exit the station and head down Hammersmith Road. Keep going and, 10 minutes later, you'll come across the venue on your left.

The H&C Line station entrance/exit is the big red dot on this map, which I thought it might be handy to include so you can see the only real distraction: Shepherd's Bush Road. Avoid going down there and you can't go wrong.

hammersmithandcity.jpg

(Note: if you travel to Hammersmith on the Piccadilly Line, the entrance/exit is in a different place - it's across the road - and you'll need to turn right instead when you exit the station.)

Thanks so much for your help. I've made my mind up and shall do the Hammersmith route. Thanks again. :D

Right seeing as there a lot of local folk someone check over my plan because I'm a typical tourist and it confuses me!! :D

So we're getting to London Euston around ten - was planning on jumping a stop to Kings Cross St Pancreas, then onto the picadilly line to earls court then onto the district line to KO (only because we don't know our way and figured one tube stop would be quicker) That or getting on victoria to green park, then onto picadilly to earls court etc.

Can anyone suggest a better route or tell me something I might have missed??

(and sorry to flap but :D )

:wub:

Right seeing as there a lot of local folk someone check over my plan because I'm a typical tourist and it confuses me!!:D

So we're getting to London Euston around ten - was planning on jumping a stop to Kings Cross St Pancreas, then onto the picadilly line to earls court then onto the district line to KO (only because we don't know our way and figured one tube stop would be quicker) That or getting on victoria to green park, then onto picadilly to earls court etc.

Can anyone suggest a better route or tell me something I might have missed??

(and sorry to flap but :headscratch: )

:D

Well, I'm very local and have been for 37 years lol!

Kings X to Earls Court is fine....the only other feasible way is Kings X (Hammersmith and City Line) to Hammersmith, which is then about a 15-20 minute walk. The only thing is that particular line isn't that reliable especially around the Edgware Road/Baker Street section.

I'm coming on saturday from St Pancras and was planning on meeting my friend at Kensington Olympia station at 10.30am. What would be the best line(s) for me to take?

I'd take the Piccadilly Line to Earl's Court (11 stops), and change on to the District Line to Kensington Olympia (1 stop). The journey should take around half an hour.

Thankyou so much :YAHOO: