Discussion about the new venue

Lizzy

I haven’t got any mixed feelings about the move.

Forced to move or not, to make the convention bigger and better this is what’s required. Location should not matter that much but the quality & quantity of guest, which now sounds like could be upped even more to the already impressive names/amount we get currently.

The stall holders may be a little miffed but at the end of the day where else are they going to go? They will still set-up at the new location.

I’m looking forward to continued great events by SM.

Plus great to see Amanda Tapping announced for C15.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will look forwad to the excuses, sorry reasons next week

So, no pre-judgement at all on your part then? :D I believe that the phrase I'm looking for is "minds are like parachutes; they work best when they are open"...

*makes a note of that awesome phrase*

I think you misunderstand, it's not a case of cutting down space, from what I understand the entire Middleton Hall is being turned into shops, there is not going to be any place to put Collectormania in the MK Centre anymore. Everyone, us the punters, and the dealers, are going to just have to deal with it, there's nothing else that can be done.

The first Collectormania in the Stadium is going to be in the actual stadium because the Arena isnt going to be ready in time, but after that it will be in the Arena and I think be laid out similar to LFCC and Gmex with the dealers all near eachother. The stadium itself doesnt have any large areas that they could do that in, so they're going to do the best they can for the next one with what's available. As for the date, that's the first date that was available for use, again it is out of Showmasters hands, they have to make the best of what they've been offered.

I don't think Middleton Hall is going to be used for permanent shops, I thinks it's the wings down each side of John Lewis that will no longer be available and therefore would restrict SM in what they'd like to do.

Also, the stadium DOES currently have a large area available, it has a giant ballroom open.

it will still be twice a year, next year the first one will be in June and the second in October.

Where did you hear that from? Seems unlikely to me, as the football season scedule is only announced around July time, leaving little time to arrange a date

The stall holders may be a little miffed but at the end of the day where else are they going to go? They will still set-up at the new location.

The cost of stalls differs between events. Collectormania MK is the most expensive, because there is a high demand for stalls and a limited supply. This, added to the attraction of casual shoppers passing through, makes the cost of stalls quite high. When it moves, there may be more room for more stalls, but the demand may not be as high and the cost of stalls may have to go down, possibly dropping the income received by SM from stallholders.

As for where are they going to go, well with the current economic environment, the answer to that is 'out of business'.

The cost of stalls differs between events. Collectormania MK is the most expensive, because there is a high demand for stalls and a limited supply. This, added to the attraction of casual shoppers passing through, makes the cost of stalls quite high. When it moves, there may be more room for more stalls, but the demand may not be as high and the cost of stalls may have to go down, possibly dropping the income received by SM from stallholders.

As for where are they going to go, well with the current economic environment, the answer to that is 'out of business'.

Slight exaggeration I think! :YAHOO:

it will still be twice a year, next year the first one will be in June and the second in October.

Where did you hear that from? Seems unlikely to me, as the football season scedule is only announced around July time, leaving little time to arrange a date

I heard it from Jason himself, plus the posters with the info on the new venue quite clearly showed that the Arena will be the venue for C16 in October 09.

I think you misunderstand, it's not a case of cutting down space, from what I understand the entire Middleton Hall is being turned into shops, there is not going to be any place to put Collectormania in the MK Centre anymore. Everyone, us the punters, and the dealers, are going to just have to deal with it, there's nothing else that can be done.

The first Collectormania in the Stadium is going to be in the actual stadium because the Arena isnt going to be ready in time, but after that it will be in the Arena and I think be laid out similar to LFCC and Gmex with the dealers all near eachother. The stadium itself doesnt have any large areas that they could do that in, so they're going to do the best they can for the next one with what's available. As for the date, that's the first date that was available for use, again it is out of Showmasters hands, they have to make the best of what they've been offered.

I don't think Middleton Hall is going to be used for permanent shops, I thinks it's the wings down each side of John Lewis that will no longer be available and therefore would restrict SM in what they'd like to do.

Also, the stadium DOES currently have a large area available, it has a giant ballroom open.

I definitely heard that Middleton Hall itself is being turned into shops. Whoever told me might have been mistaken but that's what I was told. They didnt use the space down the sides of John Lewis this time and managed, if it was just that I'm sure they could have managed again.

As for the ballroom, it's not big enough. I've just looked up about it. It's big enough to seat 800 people, but that's not nearly big enough to hold an event like Collectormania and have talks, photoshoots and stalls.

Edited by jael001

I've got gripes about several things, but I would have been willing to overlook them and give it a try first if you hadn't moved the date. Now I'll be lucky if I can make it at all for some of the Saturday, whereas I would normally be there for the whole thing.

Slight exaggeration I think!:YAHOO:

You think? I know of three dealers who have ceased trading in teh last 12 months.

Obviously, I'm not suggesting for a second that this is in anyway down to Showmasters or any of their policies or events, but the general economic climate is not favourable to geek traders.

I definitely heard that Middleton Hall itself is being turned into shops. Whoever told me might have been mistaken but that's what I was told. They didnt use the space down the sides of John Lewis this time and managed, if it was just that I'm sure they could have managed again.

As for the ballroom, it's not big enough. I've just looked up about it. It's big enough to seat 800 people, but that's not nearly big enough to hold an event like Collectormania and have talks, photoshoots and stalls.

I'm not aware of any change to Middleton Hall, maybe they got confused as Queens Court (the open area with teh fountain near McDonalds) is being re-developed?

Yes, they managed without the sides, but there were no guests as popular as Barrowman/Hobbits/Masters, if there had been, then there would have been problems. There was also less space for stalls, meaning the income received from stallholders was more restricted.

I'm pretty certain that the ballroom at the stadium is bigger than Middleton Hall? No, it's not big enough for talks and the like as well, but then neither is Middleton Hall.

It was mentioned to me that Amanda Tapping agreed to CM15 because she was in the country anyway for a dog show. Some guys on the AT site checked things out and it looks like the charity she supports is having their annual summer fayre on Sunday 7th. If that's the case, I guess she'll only be a Fri/Sat signer. But still enough to pull in the crowds.

I'm not aware of any change to Middleton Hall, maybe they got confused as Queens Court (the open area with teh fountain near McDonalds) is being re-developed?

Yes, they managed without the sides, but there were no guests as popular as Barrowman/Hobbits/Masters, if there had been, then there would have been problems. There was also less space for stalls, meaning the income received from stallholders was more restricted.

I'm pretty certain that the ballroom at the stadium is bigger than Middleton Hall? No, it's not big enough for talks and the like as well, but then neither is Middleton Hall.

If the ballroom isnt much bigger than Middleton Hall what exactly would be the benefit of moving it there? At least the stadium itself has much more space, and dont forget, it's only going to be in the stadium itself for one event, after that the Arena will be open and that is where further events will take place, with plenty of space for everything in one contained area.

As for the hotel, it's not nearly big enough and I assume it'd be difficult to get rooms there because crew would probably be given first chance. I thought I overheard talk of another hotel being built nearby but no idea if that's true or how long it would take to be built. Obviously there are plenty of other hotels in Milton Keynes, but no others near the Stadium. I dont really get why they'd build a 30,000+ seater stadium with a hotel that has less than 200 rooms?

As a gut reaction, the move to the stadium/arena is upsetting and potentially bad.

The best thing about all the previous Collectormania shows was the venue; unique and always helped provide a good atmosphere. As someone who thinks the LFCC & G-Mex shows have been dark, dank and horrible (sorry), the stadium/arena location is pretty much going to be more of the same which thrills me as much as the current credit crunch does.

This move is enough to put me off going to event, but that's just me.

the ball room is the room that was used for the party last may, its not big but if you looked at the posters it will be used, there are 4 bars in the stadum and numerouse food and drink places. the next show is set up in a giant circle around the outside of the pitch.

there are going to be several diffrent signing areas determened buy how busy each guest will be by the looks of things.. there is going to possibly be two talk area's.

trust me i was sick of trying to figure out the poster.

as jason said there is going to be busses from all the major places, the shopping center the coachways and the train station.

it shouldn't make it to much more diffucult ( im not complaining and i already do two busses and two trains and the underground to get to the thing in the first place)

parking at the stadium looks to be free.

there wasn't enought room to swing a cat on sat, and there was far to much congestion around the stalls and the signing area, i couldn't get through with stock /without stock all weekend because the place was to crammed in.

i welcome the change, and i think that moving to the stadum is good if it remains free, and they give transport.

not to convinced by the layout for the next one but after that i think it will be a good and durable space...

i think its a we will have to see, but if its free and people want to meet the guest it shouldnt cost any more in travel costs as the bus will be free.

• Moderators

All the opinions on here are fair, and I think the majority of people realise that this isn't a situation that SMs wanted to be in, and have had to adapt to.

I'm just surprised a few people have said they'll never go to an MK event again because it won't be in the shopping centre. I mean sure, I understand the appeal of how it has been in that environment, but not to the extent of giving up attendance completely.

In the end, there is no choice in the matter - it's happening, and after hearing from Jason I do fully believe they intend to make the most out of what they'll now have. It's a very interesting time.