Discussion about the new venue

Lizzy

As for the hotel, it's not nearly big enough and I assume it'd be difficult to get rooms there because crew would probably be given first chance. I thought I overheard talk of another hotel being built nearby but no idea if that's true or how long it would take to be built. Obviously there are plenty of other hotels in Milton Keynes, but no others near the Stadium. I dont really get why they'd build a 30,000+ seater stadium with a hotel that has less than 200 rooms?

I can't imagine crew getting the hotel, to be honest. I would find it extremely likely that the crew will get one of the usual suspects in the city centre, and be given a coach to and from the venue.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the hotel, it's not nearly big enough and I assume it'd be difficult to get rooms there because crew would probably be given first chance. I thought I overheard talk of another hotel being built nearby but no idea if that's true or how long it would take to be built. Obviously there are plenty of other hotels in Milton Keynes, but no others near the Stadium. I dont really get why they'd build a 30,000+ seater stadium with a hotel that has less than 200 rooms?

I can't imagine crew getting the hotel, to be honest. I would find it extremely likely that the crew will get one of the usual suspects in the city centre, and be given a coach to and from the venue.

Yeah you might be right. I'm planning to crew the next one so I'll go where-ever I'm told :P

I respect the decision they've made and they of cause have the benefit of looking at all the facts and figures, which I don't so it's easy for me to dismiss it purely on personal grounds. But as someone who goes to these events to meet-up with friends & associates and maybe pick-up the odd autograph & collectable, the idea of going to "another" stadium/arena is not a pleasant prospect. And I think it's fair to say that there are a lot of people who fall into my category.

I certainly wont say I'll never go to another Collectormania, but it's not the guest list that gets me there in the first place so not everyone thinks along those lines.

On the plus side, the stadium might actually have a carpet!!

I think you misunderstand, it's not a case of cutting down space, from what I understand the entire Middleton Hall is being turned into shops, there is not going to be any place to put Collectormania in the MK Centre anymore. Everyone, us the punters, and the dealers, are going to just have to deal with it, there's nothing else that can be done.

The first Collectormania in the Stadium is going to be in the actual stadium because the Arena isnt going to be ready in time, but after that it will be in the Arena and I think be laid out similar to LFCC and Gmex with the dealers all near eachother. The stadium itself doesnt have any large areas that they could do that in, so they're going to do the best they can for the next one with what's available. As for the date, that's the first date that was available for use, again it is out of Showmasters hands, they have to make the best of what they've been offered.

I don't think Middleton Hall is going to be used for permanent shops, I thinks it's the wings down each side of John Lewis that will no longer be available and therefore would restrict SM in what they'd like to do.

Also, the stadium DOES currently have a large area available, it has a giant ballroom open.

it will still be twice a year, next year the first one will be in June and the second in October.

Where did you hear that from? Seems unlikely to me, as the football season scedule is only announced around July time, leaving little time to arrange a date

I used to work for the centre:mk, and there were never any plans to put shops in Middleton Hall. They use it for too many events throughout the year, its hardly ever empty and they put so much time and effort into their Christmas Displays each year.

I heard John Lewis were unhappy with the Collectormania events. I know they complained a few years back about the queues blocking their enterances, and I guess they get annoyed with people wandering throught their store and shoppers not being about to reach the shop due to the crowds surrounding it! I know many locals stayed away from the centre on Collectormania weekends!

I personally will miss the event in the centre, Like others have said, it was the atmosphere and the convenience of having shops and food outlets to hand. I've attended every Collectormania since C2 and have loved every minute. The crowds, the queuing and the random shoppers are all part of collectormania mk! I will miss it! :unsure:

Edited by tiggerbabe

I'm not aware of any change to Middleton Hall

Checkout http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Milto...g_Centre#Future which states "Phase 1 of the redevelopment programme will include ...the colonnade on the west of Middleton Hall will be removed by expanding the shops into it" Given that wikipedia can be seen as just the internet's toilet wall (where any fule kan scribe), I looked up the 2007 planning permission summary revisitation for phase 1 which confirms this. (http://cmis.milton-keynes.gov.uk/CmisWebPublic/Binary.ashx?Document=20486). The 2005 permission also details phase 2 (http://cmis.milton-keynes.gov.uk/CmisWebPublic/Binary.ashx?Document=17110) which shows that it is planned to do the same on the east side as well. Basically Middleton Hall is going to get a whole lot smaller because the shops on the east and west sides are going to extend their frontage forwards.

I dont really get why they'd build a 30,000+ seater stadium with a hotel that has less than 200 rooms?

Interestingly, the hotel at the Ricoh Stadium (capacity 32,500) only has about 70 rooms.

Actually the stadium size doesn't matter that much - the hotel is to cater for conferences and other such events as much as football crowds. (Even if it wasn't, the average MK Dons crowd is about 10,000 - how many of those do you think would be away fans who were looking to stay overnight anyway? you wouldn't need a huge hotel for that purpose).

As someone who thinks the LFCC & G-Mex shows have been dark, dank and horrible (sorry), the stadium/arena location is pretty much going to be more of the same which thrills me as much as the current credit crunch does.

Earl's Court was built in the thirties, G-Mex was built to a plan drawn up 25+ years ago, even the plans for Earl's Court Two will be over 20 years old. And whilst they've had facelifts, to an extent they're lumbered with their existing architecture. Understanding of the need for decent light (natural or otherwise) and the design of conference facilities (and just as importantly, construction techniques) have come on a huge amount since those places were designed and built. Having been very impressed by some pretty new conference facilities that I have visited, I would hang fire on passing judgement on the new venue and certainly wouldn't assume it will be like something that was built decades ago.

Checkout http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Milto...g_Centre#Future which states "Phase 1 of the redevelopment programme will include ...the colonnade on the west of Middleton Hall will be removed by expanding the shops into it" Given that wikipedia can be seen as just the internet's toilet wall (where any fule kan scribe), I looked up the 2007 planning permission summary revisitation for phase 1 which confirms this. (http://cmis.milton-keynes.gov.uk/CmisWebPublic/Binary.ashx?Document=20486). The 2005 permission also details phase 2 (http://cmis.milton-keynes.gov.uk/CmisWebPublic/Binary.ashx?Document=17110) which shows that it is planned to do the same on the east side as well. Basically Middleton Hall is going to get a whole lot smaller because the shops on the east and west sides are going to extend their frontage forwards.

That's what I said (I think the 'colonnade' refers to the wings either side of John Lewis). This won't be a change for any existing shops, but will more likely mean that the car parks either siode of JOhn Lewis will disappear, along with the wings where the biggest guests normally sit. This won't likely affect Middleton Hall that much. NO idea why they are doing this, they can't fill all the units in the centre already and the John Lewis end is pretty dead.

That's what I said (I think the 'colonnade' refers to the wings either side of John Lewis). This won't be a change for any existing shops,

That's not how I read it, and that's not what the maps suggest. One of the planning documents refers to Middleton Hall saying "Here the receded shopfronts of the existing colonnade will be brought forward to be flush with the first floor line and the elevation would become double height clear glazed shop fronts".

It seems that existing shopfronts will be pushed forward so that they stick out as far as the front wall of the upper storey, thereby removing that area for pedestrians and pushing people a bit more into the middle. The section in one of the planning document suggests that this means moving the shopping frontage forward 3 metres, which doesn't sound much, but then 3 metres gone down one whole side (with the same amount to come off the other side in phase 2) is a probably noticeable amount of space, and no doubt health and safety/fire regs will require a reduction in the maximum amount of "exhibit" space available in Middleton Hall, both to allow for the reduction in pedestrian space, plus the potential for there to be extra customers inside the now (slightly) extended shops.

Like a lot of other people, I'll miss the shopping at MK when the venue changes (although my credit card almost certainly will be glad of the rest!). However, overall, I think the stadium may well prove to be a better venue.

It'll still be free entry and ALL the parking will be free, unlike the Centre.

It won't be nearly as crowded and so should be easier to wander round.

There'll be room for loads more guests (hint, hint)

SM will be able to start arranging (free?) talks during the daytime.

As for hotels, I don't know what there is really close to the stadium, but there is an Innkeepers Lodge a couple of miles up the road which is quite nice and reasonably cheap.

Like a lot of other people, I'll miss the shopping at MK when the venue changes (although my credit card almost certainly will be glad of the rest!). However, overall, I think the stadium may well prove to be a better venue.

As for hotels, I don't know what there is really close to the stadium, but there is an Innkeepers Lodge a couple of miles up the road which is quite nice and reasonably cheap.

Totally agree! Wills till probably stay in the Jurys Inn. The only thing I wanted to ask was if the next one is in June, will we still have CM 16 in September?

Totally agree! Wills till probably stay in the Jurys Inn. The only thing I wanted to ask was if the next one is in June, will we still have CM 16 in September?

the maps on the walls at C14 said C16 will be in October 09

On the new map of stadium venue for next event I noticed there are "A Guest" locations

is that a good idea

I hope A guests dont get even more up on themselves and refuse photos etc etc as a basic thing because they are A's

I think you're reading that wrong. By A' Guest locations I think they mean Guest Location area "A".

One thing to think about is that the dealers pay a fair wedge of money to be able to stand at these events. Without the dealer stands, some of the BIG names would not be able to attend as im sure the revenue from the dealers off sets the fees that these big names charge.Move venue, you risk loosing the dealers and the knock on effect of the big names !

That has never stopped big names going to events like LFCC at Earls Court or Wembley like Burt Reynolds, John Hurt or Patrick Stewart or Pete Postelwaite though so your argument doesnt really work.

We thought if the centre MK cut down on space then maybe cut down on dealers so more signers could get in, but will look forwad to the excuses, sorry reasons next week

What do you mean, "excuses"?? SM don't owe us anything and its not like they made a mistake. I was told at the Organiser's desk that the change was due to the MK Centre just not wanting them there anymore due to health & safety concerns esp after the John Barrowman fiasco. AND that SM's contract to hold the con there has now expired anyway which is why they wernt given the boot sooner. The MK Centre had had enough of them.

Edited by nicky

Oh it did? I never saw the poster so that does surprise me.

Anyway, isn't it funny how some smart-ass hasn't come on here to seriously post the usual/traditional/obligatory/text-book legendary phrase, "Why do people have to moan?? You can't please everyone! If you don't like it, don't go. Simple." ?

:uhoh::D:P:D don't you just love it when people always say that? Someone saying it is one of the Unwritten Rules of the Forum. :lol:

Edited by nicky

Also, I don't think the decision to move was entirely down to the organisers (if it was their decision at all...) - have had my ear to the ground today, and apparently the centre are building a big store in the hall where we descend twice a year.

really? after all these years they're going to fill that spece in? but they use it for so many different things over the year surely they would have done that before now?

Talks are ok, some are good but don't forget that if they're during the day they do take away from the signing time and people already complain enough about certain guests not being there for long enough. I used to like the evening sessions at earlier collectormanias although again, at the shopping center you had places to hang out while waiting.

I did suspect there was possibly some underlying reason why it needed to be moved. I don't think the security argument on it's own would have been enough as that could easily be dealt with by putting the bigger guests down the side aisles of John Lewis where the causal passers-by don't really go. Plenty of space for queues without getting in the way of the shoppers and causing huge blockages etc around the main area.

I'll wait and see what the new arrangement will be like but I do think a lot of what makes this such a unique and fun event will be lost in the process and it'll just become like any other and it's clear a lot of people on here, including some of the regulars, are already being put off by this change which is a real pity.

Yeah one of the dealers mentioned something about the CMK people not wanting things like collectormania there anymore. I personally think this is going to be a bad choice on there part. Reminds me a bit of Hilton Las Vagas getting rid of the Star Trek exhibition, granted they wanted more rent money, but I don't think what ever they put in its place is ever going to draw in the same crowds that the Exhibition has done.

How much money will some of the shops loose out on on a Collectormania weekend, now the event is finally moving?

:poki:

LLAP :wub:

Edited by zebredy

• Moderators

Well if we are getting "A list" (in SM's eyes anyway) that can only be a good thing for us fans and the new venue rather than the usual variety we're used to at MK Centre.

That's my general opinion - there's no point staying in the centre just for nostalgia purposes or whatever if we're restricted in space and what they can do with it. Dealers will suffer, and the show itself will do too.

I'm sure people will get used to the new venue, and hopefully it'll have some great guests that will convince people it's worth the effort to go to.

It's alright for car owners but for those of us who don't have a car, the main problem is access.

i can get a bus to MK but then i would need a taxi out to MK Dons stadium. Also if we stay overnight, it is taxi to the stadium, back to hotel and out again to stadium and so on. NOT good for us - manna from heaven for the taxi companies! :poki:

We went to the party last CM13 and were seriously un-impressed with the stadium. Inspite of being told well in advance, the stadium had not restocked drinks from the previous weekend and consequently ran out of practically everything at a very early hour and charged the earth for them too, nobody got drunk that night! After James Marsters left, everything went down hill and inspite of Kai Owen doing his very best to entertain us, the cod-Madonna and later DJ music were pretty dire. Then they switched most of the lights off and we had to go sit in the bar, so we could see and hear each other. No wonder nobody wanted to go to one at CM14 - i won't be attending another party anytime soon, that's for sure!

i see from the plans that were up over the weekend, bars & food areas are going to be catered for - hopefully there will be more seats available than that. i asked the CM info desk about disabled facilities and they are going to make sure information is going to be readily available. It's going to be a huge area and if Shopmobility don't have a booth out there, i'm going to have to get a taxi capable of stowing a scooter on board - more expense...

Not looking good for disabled patrons. If i can't get a scooter, i'm not coming - simple as that.

• Moderators

I'm sure they'll do everything possible to cater for everyone. I feel the treatment that disabled patrons have got at previous events in MK has been good from what I know of, as long as such situations are indeed put forward to the necessary people at Showmasters so things can be catered for.

There is obviously going to be a LOT of information that needs to come out about this move - not only regarding disabled access, but for everyone - and so for a while I think we all need to be patient and just see what is put forward. I'm sure once any solid plans are revealed, they will be more than willing to answer your questions and work with you to sort out anything you may need :poki:

One thing to think about is that the dealers pay a fair wedge of money to be able to stand at these events. Without the dealer stands, some of the BIG names would not be able to attend as im sure the revenue from the dealers off sets the fees that these big names charge.Move venue, you risk loosing the dealers and the knock on effect of the big names !

That has never stopped big names going to events like LFCC at Earls Court or Wembley like Burt Reynolds, John Hurt or Patrick Stewart or Pete Postelwaite though so your argument doesnt really work.

Of course his argument works... Stalls at Collectormania are way more expensive than it LfaCC, mainly due to high demand and limited supply. It's possible that the move to the new venue, whilst increasing supply, will diminish demand, causing overall revenue from traders to go down. Of course this is hypothetical, we don't know how much will be charged or what the response will be from dealers, but it is a potential issue.

We thought if the centre MK cut down on space then maybe cut down on dealers so more signers could get in, but will look forwad to the excuses, sorry reasons next week

What do you mean, "excuses"?? SM don't owe us anything and its not like they made a mistake. I was told at the Organiser's desk that the change was due to the MK Centre just not wanting them there anymore due to health & safety concerns esp after the John Barrowman fiasco. AND that SM's contract to hold the con there has now expired anyway which is why they wernt given the boot sooner. The MK Centre had had enough of them.

There's a lot of heresay there. Until (if) there is a statement from the owners of the centre (I heard it had new owners?) you can't say for sure... but there WAS less space given to dealers this time.