This one lacking stars

Morrison28

There's no one really equivalent to Carrie Fisher, William Shatner, Dominic Monaghan or Katee Sackhoff, in terms of box office sucess/rarity

see, i have no idea who any of those people are apart from William Shatner, as i heard my dad say something about him, and was he was in a cereal advert?

XD Im 18, and am a huge fan of Heroes, Torchwood, Stargate etc and am sooooo pleased that they have such great guests! While i dont know who half of the old guests are! Im not a LOTR or Harry Potter fan either, so im pleased that there are so many stars attending that appeal to me!

I would guess then, that you are not really an example of the 'average' Collectormania attendee (no offence inteded there!!) I would imagine that 95% of Collectormania attendees would know who Carrie Fisher and William Shatner were at the very least! :uhoh:

(He was Captain Kirk in Star Trek, She was Princess Leia in the Star Wars original trilogy).

I think the stalls offer a really good range of stuff. Bearing in mind they're limited by availability, existence of the stuff people want, and pricing compared to net stores, I'm usually impressed!

I'm stumped as to what else a genre stall could sell at a genre event! (believe me, if I knew, I'd stock it!!)

Hey, we had on the GMEX board, an alleged Trekkie who wasn't aware that McDowell was the guy who killed Kirk in Generations! Obviously because that's of no importance to Trekkies....

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

The general public are familiar with established and famous actors. Apart from Leslie Phillips and June Whitfield, who else will the general public be familiar with on the guest list? Despite what you may think, the world doesn't begin and end with Torchwood.

And did I say the world begins and ends with Torchwood? Pretty sure I didn't.

However it's certainly something that will be fairly well known at least to a lot of the general public.

You could stick Bianca from Eastenders in the shopping centre and people would recognise her more than a lot of guests we get at these events, regardless of how 'established' they may be.

Entirely irrelevant as people knowing about the event has no relation to them going to or spending money at the event.

I really don't understand how it's irrelevant. 'General public' (a term which you used) or 'passing members of the public' (again your use) are often not going to be aware of either the event taking place, or who is actually part of the lineup.

It's a lot easier for people to take notice when there are crowds, and big boards etc, rather than just a poster or a flyer somewhere. Curiosity plays a large part in drawing in new customers.

And if they don't know about the event, it would probably be safe to assume that the majority wouldn't be die-hard collectors, so they'd be more familiar with general mainstream guests.

So John Barrowman is a bit part then?

No, he's the lead in a mildly succesful (say what you want about it, it gets about 2.5 - 3m viewers) V show on a 'minor' channel. He's better known to teh general public as the guy who helps find people to perform in musicals. He's a lovely, funny, interesting guest (I met him at the LFCC a few years back), but career wise, he's not in the same leage as Fisher, The Shatner or John Hurt.

Still not a bit part!! N how is that a snide comment? Its a fact, he is a lead in a show, not a bit part- fair enough! AND he's sold out photo shoot wise! The Shatner had an open queue after 3 hours!

And Shatner had an open queue, why? because he was so fan friendly, and value for money he signed at 1000 autographs an hour, or whatever speed.. There's a reason why William F'ing Shatner was voted in the top 10 worst signers by the readers of Autograph magazine, and most of it was on show there. No eye, voice or physical contact, just head down and scrawl til theres nothing else to write on.. Plus I doubt you'd have half as many complaints about how rude Barrowman was compared to the boards here post-Shatner

Sorry, still laughing at the thought that Carrie Fisher, Wiliam F Shatner and Katee Sackhoff could ever be in the same league in terms of headliner. Yes Katee's cute, and done BSG, but same breath as Leia and Kirk? What drugs are you on?

I LIKE Katie Sackhoff..... :uhoh:

So John Barrowman is a bit part then?

No, he's the lead in a mildly succesful (say what you want about it, it gets about 2.5 - 3m viewers) V show on a 'minor' channel. He's better known to teh general public as the guy who helps find people to perform in musicals. He's a lovely, funny, interesting guest (I met him at the LFCC a few years back), but career wise, he's not in the same leage as Fisher, The Shatner or John Hurt.

Still not a bit part!! N how is that a snide comment? Its a fact, he is a lead in a show, not a bit part- fair enough! AND he's sold out photo shoot wise! The Shatner had an open queue after 3 hours!

John is only there for one day, Shatner did 3!!!! (also, to the best of my recolection, Shatner didn't do a photo shoot.)

I really don't understand how it's irrelevant. 'General public' (a term which you used) or 'passing members of the public' (again your use) are often not going to be aware of either the event taking place, or who is actually part of the lineup.

Of course they are!! Why do you think Showmasters spend time and money advertising the event locally!!!!

I think it was clear that myself and otehrs were talking in terms of sucess with regard to the headline guest(s).

I love doing Showmasters events, but I know that for them to continue (and expand/improve), these events have to be succesful. Therefore if I see what I think may be a problem, I AM going to speak up about it.

I thought Barrowman was a poor actor, famous only for being a media whore, openly admitting to kicking his own excrement over the front row of his audience, and for walking around the set of Torchwood with his meat and two veg hanging out of his trousers.

As for never underestimating the power of children and their parents, no responsible parent would let their child within 100ft of Barrowman.

And don't underestimate just how many people in this country detest him.

Did I say I didn't like Katee sackoff/hoff whatever? no, I said she's cute but NOT in same league as Kirk or Leia. Hell, I'd bow down before Megan Fox if she showed up, but she ain't in the same galaxy as Kirk, or Leia..

Love DavidB's note about how 'passing crowds' wouldn't know the lineup of the show... errm by passing the crowds of fanboys dribbling over Eve, and the grannies, kiddies and such getting excited about Barrowman? as in, they pass by the crowd, and use their eyes to note the lineup.. while they pass by, like the term denotes.... Not to mention those trying to look like aliens/vampires and desperate not to look like plain groupies... and failing miserably..

I thought Barrowman was a poor actor, famous only for being a media whore, openly admitting to kicking his own excrement over the front row of his audience, and for walking around the set of Torchwood with his meat and two veg hanging out of his trousers.

As for never underestimating the power of children and their parents, no responsible parent would let their child within 100ft of Barrowman.

And don't underestimate just how many people in this country detest him.

He's in top rated shows in the UK (and Torchwood), I think it's perhaps YOU who has little clue how the public feels about him.

I am going to go and enjoy myself - if these people are complaining about the guests then the simple answer is DON'T GO. There is certainly a variety of guests from a variety of shows.

Have you actually READ this thread?!? No one has complained about a lack of variety....

The people saying that there is a lack of headline guest, have NOT been the self-centred ones.... We've not been saying 'there's no headliner, so we won't go'. We're expressing our concern as to the sucess of the event (which we desperately want to suceed.) The people arguing AGAINST us have pretty much all said 'well I'M happy', which is a pretty self-centred reply really.

Saying 'well don't go', will not EVER make the event more successful.

Did I say I didn't like Katee sackoff/hoff whatever? no, I said she's cute but NOT in same league as Kirk or Leia. Hell, I'd bow down before Megan Fox if she showed up, but she ain't in the same galaxy as Kirk, or Leia..

Again... basic netiquette.... you see the ' :uhoh: ' smilie? That means I'm having fun with you... and does NOT imply that you are some kind of Katee-hater (just to clear that up)

we had similar discussions pre the last GMEX show over Malcolm McDowell. Apparently knowledge of Top 10 movies made before the time of your birth can't be guaranteed to be 'well known', even in a board of geeks and fanboys. Except Star Wars. so I guess Back to the Future, if not Howard the Duck, would be verging on 'huh!?' territory...

LOL. I remember that thread! I liked the comments you made about going "past the £100 mark" on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.. :uhoh:

i only want to meet one guest but i'm still looking forward to it,taking the 2 hour + journey from bournemouth to MK, the stalls are always awesome and you always find something to buy.Its the atmosphere and buzz too!!

I think Edd summed it up perfectly!

Sometimes if the guests are a bit naff then it is nice to go to the event, catch up with friends and take a leisurley walk around the stalls!

And never underestimate kids and their parents.

hehehe that made me giggle, as i rememberd so many years ago, pestering my mum when we went shopping to go have a look at collectormania 1 when she came out of Next lol i was 12 XD

Also remembered the other day, i was standing in Waterstones, reading the books *im cheap, so i just read them instore XD* and some girls came and spoke to me about the book i was reading, and some how we got onto a converation about Torchwood, and i told them about John being at C13. The 2 girls were about 13/14 and were visiting a relative for a couple of days, but lived in manchester, and when thier mum came over to get them, they told her about John being there, and are all now gonna come down on bank holiday for C13! -shameless advertising to strangers XD-

Children can be so persuasive lol

Even if there werent any guests i wanted autos from, i would still go to collectormania for the experience *living in milton keynes also helps XD* as its great to get together with my friends and look around! This is the first year where i actually have money to spend, and i still dont have enough!

I think its moved on from "going to see one particular person" to "going to catch up with friends and meeting some stars" and that is not a bad thing.

The apparent lack of headline stars can work as an advantage. Sometimes the replacement has been in something you enjoyed.

But look at the guests they had lined up and cancelled. Some big names there. Its unfortunate but it happens.

i think there is only one guest that i don't want to meet and that is for personal really petty sad reasons...

i love heroes and dr who i have a passing intrest in torchwood.

Nicky, I really hoped for future of the planet that the folks weren't being serious in that thread suggesting that because a film was made before they were born, somehow exempted them from all requirements to know about them. If not, then, with the exception of Star Wars, original (Ok, Chris Reeves version) Superman, and maybe TNG, no sci-fi or movie from before 'you' were born can be taken as read, or watched. Heck I'm not expecting everyone to be complete anorak about every movie ever made.. but for a Trekkie not to be aware who killed Kirk? I hope they don't try to make toast..

Might be interesting to see if any quiffed movie critics worship at the table of Linda Blair, as 'the film that can't get mentioned in his movie reviews' is SO far ahead of anything in his best of list, but made before most folks were born on here, and not even the reissue after the dropping of the ban might have spurred them to watch it. (Heck, the fuss about Clockwork Orange passed overhead many on here, apparently..) Hmmmm Mushy peas.....

Btw is there a chippy near the Middleton Hall? see if LB wants fish chips and mushy peas... :) And remember the chant when you toss the vinegar on the food...

You're having a laugh, this is an awesome line up.

But as everyone has there own tastes it won't be fitting for everyone.

I adore TW and Buffy, but i can't wait it meet Lea Thompson either :o

And now 2 Doctors :unsure:

Edited by hells childe 17

Might be interesting to see if any quiffed movie critics worship at the table of Linda Blair

Btw is there a chippy near the Middleton Hall? see if LB wants fish chips and mushy peas... :) And remember the chant when you toss the vinegar on the food...

I'm just gonna explain your in-jokes and references:

I'm not a fan of The Exorcist but know Mark Kermode is (I've seen that doc) who I notice you name-checking alot in previous posts including when you call him "quiffed movie critic". The mushy peas is a reference to the substance used for Regan's vomit during filming and the chant when tossing vinegar is a reference to holy water and "The power of Christ compells you!".

Surely the whole thing is simple. If you don't like the guest enough to pay for their auto, then don't! If you do, then do.

That one fact, and it's resultant profit / loss per guest, will show sm what they should be booking better than any discussion that we (the vocal minority) will have on this here forum!!!

the guests are never going to please *everybody*. what you meant was...this one is lacking 'stars' 'in my opinion'...or 'that i am interested in' :P

Showmasters always seem to get a great range of guests from 'now' and from 'then'...there is no-one I will be meeting this time, but I'm still going to go for the stalls ;) Hopefully there will be people I want to see in September! :dance:

the guests are never going to please *everybody*. what you meant was...this one is lacking 'stars' 'in my opinion'...or 'that i am interested in' :dance:

I think people are missing the point the OP was trying to make - he meant that there aren't any stars at this con to bring in the general public, not us or him as fans. He wasn't speaking from a personal POV.

Edited by nicky

requirements to know about them

I wasn't aware that there was a "requirement" to see any film at all.

He said know about them, not see ;) But, you have to admit, no requirements, but if you haven't heard of Star Wars or Superman, or indeed, the Exorcist, you really have been stuck in a cupboard for all your life!

but for a Trekkie not to be aware who killed Kirk? I hope they don't try to make toast..

I know! How silly is that!

The mushy peas is a reference to the substance used for Regan's vomit during filming and the chant when tossing vinegar is a reference to holy water and "The power of Christ compells you!".

I like mushy peas :dance: LOL

i kinda agree with morrison 28 they are some good guests,i was gonna come an i would of had a great time seein some other people an lookin round the stalls but then michael rosenbaum cancelled an its a long way to come iv already met james marsters an annoyin work yet again (iv been askin for days off a lot recently)its all just not worth it now im sorry thats me but im super stoked bout comin to 14

A problem with "big name guests" catching the eye of the general public is that people like "us" tend to start queuing hours in advance to ensure we get to see them. If even you are prepared to pay £15.00/£20.00 to meet a guest, chances are if you didn't know anything until the event until you were wandering past, it's either too late to get a VT or, if you do manage to get one, you're going to be waiting around for hours.

I think that attracting the general public is a minority market, and would bring in very little money. I agree with the last post - people aren't particularly likely to wait ages for an auto on a whim. Perhaps if they wanted someone with an open queue, but that comes back to "big names" again, as they rarely ever have open queues!