This one lacking stars

Morrison28

Is it me or is this one lacking any pulling power?? i mean theres no one there thats gonna make people jump out of there seats to go to !

I love colletormania's gone to everyone, but the star's just seem to be the same every other year , thrown in with a couple of one you cant remember!!

After all this time , i say where are the star's of Now!! , not yester-year!!

Still love collectormania but qetting a little bored of the same quests and lack of stars!!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John Barrowman makes up for it though :)

Well thats just me but I'd go just for him.

I go mostly for the hustle and bustle of things as I enjoy seeing the guests and going to the stalls (albeit the same ones!!)

Shame about the Robert Duncan McNeill and some of the others though.

you really are joking right?

This for me is the best collectormania ever, and i have attended every collectormania.

There are way too many people i wanna meet! At previous collectormanias, i have never come away with more than 4 autos, but this time i wanna meet-

John Barrowman

James Marsters *met him twice, but only to take pics for friends, never liked him till now*

Eve Myles

Kai Owen

Tawny Cypress

Stephen T..something

Paul Mcgillion

Teryl Rothery

(sorry if i spelled any of those wrong XD)

im having to make some sacrifices though, as i only have 140 quid to spend :blush:

Best Collectormania ever in my opinion!

I much prefer the guests from yester-year than the current crop - today's guests havent stood the test of time and for all we know this could only be their "15 mins of fame" and they're only "hot right now".

At least the yester-year guests have proven their worth in iconic and memorable classic films/TV that many of us grew up with and have a built-up fanbase over the years so we've had plenty time to really appreciate their body of work.

Oh and 80's movies rock - they don't make 'em like they used to and action films with Bruce Willis weren't rated PG-13 back then.

Edited by nicky

you really are joking right?

I thik the original poster is talking in terms of teh big, global star names... There's no one really equivalent to Carrie Fisher, William Shatner, Dominic Monaghan or Katee Sackhoff, in terms of box office sucess/rarity of signing/relevancy/fan base and all the other things that combine to make a guest 'big'

This for me is the best collectormania ever, and i have attended every collectormania.

But that's subjective... everyone has different tastes. Of the 'big' names you listed, half of them are from the same show.

As things stand, I think this could be a quiet Collectormania, in comparrison with past events (although Sunday has the potential to be busy. (and I've attended every Collectormania too)

• Moderators

It does always come down to personal preference really - I mean look at John Hurt at LFACC .. some people have never heard of him, and so believe the 'huge' tag that Showmasters gave him was unfounded.

So I doubt anyone will convince you otherwise in terms of the lineup - after all, if there aren't guests that you're personally interested in then you just won't like it.

We have these discussions all the time - "Why does Manchester have better guests?" and then in the Manchester section "Why does MK have the better guests?" etc. "Why not more Buffy?" or "Why do we have so much Buffy!!" .. there'll always be conflicting opinions - just like you've asked for "stars of NOW!" while others would probably say we don't get enough "stars of yesteryear".

I think it's a solid lineup really, and the most guests I've been tempted by in a long time - though I must say LFACC is looking insanely good.

Hopefully there'll be something in the future for you though :blush:

I much prefer the guests from yester-year than the current crop - today's guests havent stood the test of time and for all we know this could only be their "15 mins of fame" and they're only "hot right now".

At least the yester-year guests have proven their worth in iconic and memorable classic films/TV that many of us grew up with and have a built-up fanbase over the years so we've had plenty time to really appreciate their body of work.

Oh and 80's movies rock - they don't make 'em like they used to and action films with Bruce Willis weren't rated PG-13 back then.

Yeah, but you're generally in the minority. Aside from a few proper icons, current stars will always be more popular at these events than old stars.

Every event comes down to taste. If you're a fan of torchwood and heroes, then this event is fantastic. If you're a fan of 60s and 70s film, then probably not!

I'm sure they're trying to take everyone's tastes in when organising this, but it's a lot easier (I would imagine) to get a one-hit tv show star than someone with a string of blockbuster films!

you dont think the casts of Heroes and Torchwood are current? are you even looking at the same lineup I am?

I'm looking forward to meeting STephen and Tawney, but with all due respect to them, they aren't exactly the 'stars' of Heroes!!

Every event comes down to taste. If you're a fan of torchwood and heroes, then this event is fantastic. If you're a fan of 60s and 70s film, then probably not!

I'm sure they're trying to take everyone's tastes in when organising this, but it's a lot easier (I would imagine) to get a one-hit tv show star than someone with a string of blockbuster films!

I don't know that it IS just down to taste.... I'm pretty sure you could come up with a 'star power' formula to demonstrate how line-ups have changed in the last few years. (Though this wouldn't take into account how nice, humble and friendly some of the supporting actors and actresses can be.)

Yes i like there stars of movies or TV shows i loved, im not saying its Crap or bad mouthing it , im just saying they seem to go with safety stars , ones that have been churned out before, its just getting a bit samey, all stalls the same , half the guests the same, its not moved forward.

Im not saying get rid of the old stars for the new ones , but a least throw in some big names. Guy from tourchwood doesnt scream BIG !! to me

Im not goin out to anger anyone , just my though

Yes i like there stars of movies or TV shows i loved, im not saying its Crap or bad mouthing it , im just saying they seem to go with safety stars , ones that have been churned out before, its just getting a bit samey, all stalls the same , half the guests the same, its not moved forward.

Im not saying get rid of the old stars for the new ones , but a least throw in some big names. Guy from tourchwood doesnt scream BIG !! to me

Im not goin out to anger anyone , just my though

There's very little that can be done about the stalls, they are reliant on customer demand and availablilty (and existance) of stock. I run a stall at Collectormania and I asked a question on the forum as to what people would like to see on a stall that is currently not catered for.... I didn't get any replies.

Yeah, but you're generally in the minority. Aside from a few proper icons, current stars will always be more popular at these events than old stars.

I guess it comes down to age that I'm a minority here. I grew up on 80s films as and when they happened so they mean more to us fans of classic films.

Edited by nicky

• Moderators

But .. and I mean no offence to you by saying this .. the way that reads, "throw in some big names", it comes across like you believe they're in total control of who they get to these events, which simply isn't the case.

They can really only work with a few different things:

1) Who's available.

2) Who they can afford.

3) Who even WANTS to attend.

At least those 3 things will determine a lot about their lineups.

I have absolutely no doubt that they try to get 'big' guests, but they really are restricted by various circumstances etc.

Now I don't know if you'll find LFACC a better lineup or not, but you'll probably agree that there are a few bigger 'stars' there at least - so Showmasters are fully capable of getting guests like that, just like you've probably seen with past events.

So while that isn't exactly going to make you feel any better about the lineup, I personally try and take that sort of perspective on it - that they have the contacts, and if things fall into place then future events may be an improvement for me, or you, or anyone else :blush:

Also, you have the business point of view. James Marsters, for example, is very "now" with Buffy, Smallville and Torchwood being his 3 main credits. He comes to most CM's, charges £20 a go, doesn't personalise (not a pop at him, just a fact!), and still gets a queue out of the door! So he's always gonna be invited back!

Problem with a lot of films is that (taking Die Hard as an example), you're amazingly unlikely to get Willis or Rickman, and would the rest of the cast draw much of a crowd?

There's no one really equivalent to Carrie Fisher, William Shatner, Dominic Monaghan or Katee Sackhoff, in terms of box office sucess/rarity

see, i have no idea who any of those people are apart from William Shatner, as i heard my dad say something about him, and was he was in a cereal advert?

XD Im 18, and am a huge fan of Heroes, Torchwood, Stargate etc and am sooooo pleased that they have such great guests! While i dont know who half of the old guests are! Im not a LOTR or Harry Potter fan either, so im pleased that there are so many stars attending that appeal to me!

its just getting a bit samey, all stalls the same.

Guy from tourchwood doesnt scream BIG !! to me

What are you looking for at the stalls? There's only so much available out there anyway that has even been made. The guy from Torchwood doesnt mean anything to me either but I acknowledge that he's big to those other fans that do watch the show. There's only 3 people I wanna meet but that's enough to make me go.

Problem with a lot of films is that (taking Die Hard as an example), you're amazingly unlikely to get Willis or Rickman, and would the rest of the cast draw much of a crowd?
Hey, I'd meet them! Already met Robert Davi!!! Would absolutley love to meet more!

There's no one really equivalent to Carrie Fisher, William Shatner, Dominic Monaghan or Katee Sackhoff, in terms of box office sucess/rarity

see, i have no idea who any of those people are apart from William Shatner, as i heard my dad say something about him, and was he was in a cereal advert?

XD Im 18, and am a huge fan of Heroes, Torchwood, Stargate etc and am sooooo pleased that they have such great guests! While i dont know who half of the old guests are! Im not a LOTR or Harry Potter fan either, so im pleased that there are so many stars attending that appeal to me!

I would guess then, that you are not really an example of the 'average' Collectormania attendee (no offence inteded there!!) I would imagine that 95% of Collectormania attendees would know who Carrie Fisher and William Shatner were at the very least! :blush:

(He was Captain Kirk in Star Trek, She was Princess Leia in the Star Wars original trilogy).

I think the stalls offer a really good range of stuff. Bearing in mind they're limited by availability, existence of the stuff people want, and pricing compared to net stores, I'm usually impressed!

I'm stumped as to what else a genre stall could sell at a genre event! (believe me, if I knew, I'd stock it!!)

I would imagine that 95% of Collectormania attendees would know who Carrie Fisher and William Shatner were at the very least! :blush:

(He was Captain Kirk in Star Trek, She was Princess Leia in the Star Wars original trilogy).

What are these things "Star Wars" and "Star Trek" you speak of?

I would imagine that 95% of Collectormania attendees would know who Carrie Fisher and William Shatner were at the very least! :wub:

What are these things "Star Wars" and "Star Trek" you speak of?

Well.... A long time ago (1977) in a galaxy far, far away (Think it was Pinewood... could be wrong)... :blush: