This one lacking stars

Morrison28

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'll be pretty skint myself by the end, especially if many more guests are announce this week, at the moment I think there are nearly 20 I'd love to meet! I think I'm going to have to try and cut it to 10 though and see what I'm left with. Then the rest will hopefully attend another event some time :D

I have been critical of lineups before but I can't agree that this event is lacking stars or pulling power.

There are guests from a range of different films/shows rather than a big group from one show.

There are guests from both current, and classic shows.

There is a good range of the 'size' of guests not just bitparters.

There is both female and male totty on show ;-) (looking forward to meeting Tawny Cypress personally)

I predict the only bad aspect will be (as usual) the venue :-(

Sorry but I totally disagree. We've gone to every Collectormania since the start and have met lots of great guests but this one still has plenty for us.

Paul McGillion, Teryl Rothery, Tawny Cypress, John Barrowman etc. And I'm really excited about Bruce Boxleitner - B5 was classic sci-fi.

It will be a great weekend

I think it is lacking big names but there seems to be a big mix for the punters of MK!

Sometimes you can do without the Shatners and Patrick Stewarts as the other guests are pretty lame when a big name is there.

Also, could it be something to do with that writers strike? As now they are writing it's back to work?

This is my first Collectormania in Milton Keynes for a couple of years now, as the previous events in MK have had guests that do not interest me. (I have been to LFCC and Manchester in the meantime!)

Unfortunately, a lot of actors are just not interested in attending events whatsoever, so no blame should be laid at Showmasters door for not getting more top notch guests!

Edited by Flibble

Because they'll never please everyone :smile:

Nor do they expect to really!

As long as a large majority have a good time, that's all they can hope for.

Why is it that so many people here dismiss the opinions of others? Are we not entitled to our opinion?!? It's worth noting that it's the same people who expressed concerns about the last G Mex... and whilst those who went seemed to enjoy it, no-one can say it was particularly busy!!!

In this case, our opinion is backed up by fact..... who, in the current line-up announced (and I accept that SM are still looking at getting guests) is of the same calibre as William Shatner, Carrie Fisher or Dominic Monaghan?

No one has said that the line up isn't varied (though the main guests are largely from the same show). No one has said that there are NO guests worth talking about... what we're saying is that it seems to be lacking a headline guest like the aforementioned ones.

As for the majority having a good time... well that is NOT the aim!!! The aim is to get a LOT OF PEOPLE THERE SPENDING MONEY!!! Ideally, they'd all have a great time, but if you had just 1000 happy attendees (a random number, I know it will be mroe than 1000) it would not be as sucessful as if you have 10,000 attendees and the lack of a headliner is likely to impact the size of the event.

I've been going to Collectormania MK for a few years now.

I only really interested in James M this year as money is limited, and i missed out on his so many times in the past for lack of money, and not wanting to queue for hours like some did last year. If i had more money i would be getting the Heroes autos/photos too, but i cant.

Another reason i go is to meet up with friends, some who i dont see often, we go for lunch/dinner and have a blast and it like a mini holiday for me.

If i had the money also would consider the guys from Different strokes, and even may change my mind on the days im there, as i do get paid end of month, DS was a favourite prog of mine in the 80's and every time i have been to MK i ended up spending more than can afford, but that the risk i take lol

The other thing i love is the stalls, my boyfriend and i are looking for 10x8's of paticular things, and MK seems to be the only place we know we can get these (aside other SM events) with out trawling the net.

I love going to MK and every time we go, we arrange the next time around, always bookng hotel in advance so we dont miss the hotel we like to stay in.

I believe your opinion is not shared, especially as there a lot of Torchwood fans here, with great Torchwood guests going.

Personally I'm so excited to meet Lea (Lorraine in Back to the Future) because those movies are my favourite ever, and meeting one of the cast is just amazing :)

Also, it'll be great to see James again <3

what we're saying is that it seems to be lacking a headline guest like the aforementioned ones.

the lack of a headliner is likely to impact the size of the event.

"Headliner"? Why do you keep making it sound like a rock festival? When a guest is announced they arent awarded top-billing are they? Their pic might appear at the top of the website but they dont get a bigger desk or anything nor do they get a big light show or more stage time. :smile: Edited by collector-man

Have to agree with the OP. A very weak lineup. Was just about solid before all the cancellations but not even having one headliner is poor. The weakest MK event for years.

When the economy's in trouble and people have far less money to spend, you have to give them a good reason to come to things like this and spend what money they can afford. There's very little here for the general public.

• Moderators

There's very little here for the general public.

Really? I think that's a totally different thing actually.

If we're talking about what would appeal to the 'general public' then I can't see how they're not covered by Torchwood, Heroes, Harry Potter, Doctor Who etc .. some of the most popular mainstream things.

what we're saying is that it seems to be lacking a headline guest like the aforementioned ones.

the lack of a headliner is likely to impact the size of the event.

"Headliner"? Why do you keep making it sound like a rock festival? When a guest is announced they arent awarded top-billing are they? Their pic might appear at the top of the website but they dont get a bigger desk or anything.

In many ways it IS similar to a rock festival!! A LOT of people will travel to see one headlining guest and then maybe get a few more auto's from the smaller 'supporting' guests. Without that headliner, you'll find that a lot of people decide not to make the trip. There's no disrespect intended to the supporting actors and actresses, they may be fantastic attendees, but they won't be as busy as Fisher or Shatner were.

Without that headliner, you'll find that a lot of people decide not to make the trip. .
I'm still going and I dont need a "headliner". I'm meeting three guests and I like them enough to make me wanna go. If you like the guest enough, headliner or not, you'll make that trip. Edited by collector-man

There's very little here for the general public.

Really? I think that's a totally different thing actually.

If we're talking about what would appeal to the 'general public' then I can't see how they're not covered by Torchwood, Heroes, Harry Potter, Doctor Who etc .. some of the most popular mainstream things.

If you were reading the list of guests out on the radio, then Barrowman would be the only one likely to mean anything to the general public. The general public is only going to be interested in the main leads from those shows (which is really only Barrowman and Myles from those shows you have listed.)

Without that headliner, you'll find that a lot of people decide not to make the trip. .
I'm still going and I dont need a "headliner". I'm meeting three guests and I like them enough to make me wanna go. If you like the guest enough, headliner or not, you'll make that trip.

Yes... YOU'RE going..... I'm talking about a lot of other people who might NOT be going!!! An example... I wanted to meet Jimmy Jean Luise at G Mex because I am a Heroes fan. However, he was the ONLY guest I wanted to meet and I decided that it wasn't worth going all the way to Manc Land to see one guest (who will almost certainly be at anotehr event at a later date).

I've been to enough events to be able to tell when they're busy or not.... and I don't think this one will be that busy largely BECAUSE of a lack of 'headliner'!!!