This one lacking stars

Morrison28

• Moderators

If you were reading the list of guests out on the radio, then Barrowman would be the only one likely to mean anything to the general public. The general public is only going to be interested in the main leads from those shows (which is really only Barrowman and Myles from those shows you have listed.)

Why? I don't see why they'd only be interested in the main leads. It's not like a huge viewership completely ignores the supporting characters.

They don't need to know the actor names - it's the general public that'll be walking past and they'll see the faces on the boards etc, and they'll know who they are if they've watched the shows.

I'm not saying supporting characters are going to be as popular, but of course they're going to have interest.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to say a really sarcastic comment here, apologies in advance!

This thread's title is lacking an "is"!!

It could also be the title of Empire Magazine's latest review for a $hlt film.

Edited by nicky

• Moderators

I've been to enough events to be able to tell when they're busy or not.... and I don't think this one will be that busy largely BECAUSE of a lack of 'headliner'!!!

But how do you know how many guests people want to meet?

Just because there's not a headliner apparently, does that mean there's not multiple other guests that people want to meet? Not really.

To be honest, we can discuss it all day, but we don't know! We don't know if there's no guests that some want to meet, or if there's 5-10 guests someone wants to meet etc etc.

Yes, a headliner adds something but it's often just as much about the quantity of guests an attendee wants to get, rather than subjective quality.

Without that headliner, you'll find that a lot of people decide not to make the trip. .
I'm still going and I dont need a "headliner". I'm meeting three guests and I like them enough to make me wanna go. If you like the guest enough, headliner or not, you'll make that trip.

Exactly, but anyway I'm meeting quite a few here... and rare or not, I think JM being a big character in buffy and angel, now smallville and torchwood makes him a big guest- plus the amazing john barrowman, who, next to david tennant and billie who will never do shows, is top on Dr Who/ torchwood fan's lists.

I need to say a really sarcastic comment here, apologies in advance!

This thread's title is lacking an "is"!!

It could also be the title of Empire Magazine's latest $hlt film.

:smile: I'm confused...

I think this argument is ‘half right’.

But perhaps this is yet more evidence that the expansion of events, is coming at a price.

I think you’re going to lose this argument, because some folks here would give £15-20 hard earned pounds to meet almost anybody.

Personally I’m just pleased I don’t spend my money so frivolously. :smile:

I think you’re going to lose this argument, because some folks here would give £15-20 hard earned pounds to meet almost anybody.

Is there not one guest you wanna meet? For example, I wouldnt call spending £15 to meet the leading lady of one my favourite ever films that I've loved and grew up with since 1987 frivolous? I've been a huge fan of Robocop since it came out 21 yrs ago - that's probably before some forumers were even born. She's not just anybody to me either. Edited by nicky

I much prefer the guests from yester-year than the current crop - today's guests havent stood the test of time and for all we know this could only be their "15 mins of fame" and they're only "hot right now".

At least the yester-year guests have proven their worth in iconic and memorable classic films/TV that many of us grew up with and have a built-up fanbase over the years so we've had plenty time to really appreciate their body of work.

Oh and 80's movies rock - they don't make 'em like they used to and action films with Bruce Willis weren't rated PG-13 back then.

Yeah, but you're generally in the minority. Aside from a few proper icons, current stars will always be more popular at these events than old stars.

I guess it comes down to age that I'm a minority here. I grew up on 80s films as and when they happened so they mean more to us fans of classic films.

As usual I find myself agreeing 100% with Nicky. Movies today are castrated in fundamental ways that they never were in 1984. Studios go out of their way to pander to 13 year olds, e.g. "Yippee Kay Aye Mother [GUNSHOT], or John McClane having a CGI Battle with a Jet. What the hell was the point of that set piece? Completely pointless. He's a plucky cop, He's not a superhero. Teenagers today are so riddled with ADD they seem incapable of relating to anything that doesn't look like it fell out of an XBox game. It's actually very sad.

Is their not one guest you wanna meet? I wouldnt call spending £15 to meet the leading lady of one my favourite ever films that I've loved and grew up with since 1987 frivolous? She's not just anybody to me either.

Also, why are you on these forums, or indeed come to the shows if you are of that opinion??

There's very little here for the general public.

Really? I think that's a totally different thing actually.

If we're talking about what would appeal to the 'general public' then I can't see how they're not covered by Torchwood, Heroes, Harry Potter, Doctor Who etc .. some of the most popular mainstream things.

The naivety of those two sentences in relation to the event being successful in terms of money taken from autograph sales is quite astounding.

What makes you think that passing members of the public who, as a rule have no interest in what Collectormania offers, are going to part with £15 or more for the signature of some bit part actor who they MIGHT vaguely recognise from a show they might watch once a week?

• Moderators

The naivety of those two sentences in relation to the event being successful in terms of money taken from autograph sales is quite astounding.

What makes you think that passing members of the public who, as a rule have no interest in what Collectormania offers, are going to part with £15 or more for the signature of some bit part actor who they MIGHT vaguely recognise from a show they might watch once a week?

I don't remember mentioning the success of the event or money taken etc.

All I'm saying is that the general public are bound to be more familiar with people from those sorts of movies/tv shows that I mentioned.

You'd be very surprised at the number of attendees I've met while crewing that have said "wow, I didn't know this was here!" etc. That's how a lot of current regular attendees started.

Now yes, of course there'll always be the "£15? for a scribble? no chance!" section of the general public, but there's always those who never even realised they had a chance to meet these 'stars'.

And never underestimate kids and their parents.

If you were reading the list of guests out on the radio, then Barrowman would be the only one likely to mean anything to the general public. The general public is only going to be interested in the main leads from those shows (which is really only Barrowman and Myles from those shows you have listed.)

Why? I don't see why they'd only be interested in the main leads. It's not like a huge viewership completely ignores the supporting characters.

They don't need to know the actor names - it's the general public that'll be walking past and they'll see the faces on the boards etc, and they'll know who they are if they've watched the shows.

I'm not saying supporting characters are going to be as popular, but of course they're going to have interest.

Because if they were that interested in meeting guests from shows and films, they'd be one of us and NOT the general public! :uhoh:

Seeing the face on the boards is not enough to make them get an auto.

I've been to enough events to be able to tell when they're busy or not.... and I don't think this one will be that busy largely BECAUSE of a lack of 'headliner'!!!

But how do you know how many guests people want to meet?

Just because there's not a headliner apparently, does that mean there's not multiple other guests that people want to meet? Not really.

To be honest, we can discuss it all day, but we don't know! We don't know if there's no guests that some want to meet, or if there's 5-10 guests someone wants to meet etc etc.

Yes, a headliner adds something but it's often just as much about the quantity of guests an attendee wants to get, rather than subjective quality.

What do you mean... we don't know?!? This is the 13th Collectormania!!! We have a pretty good idea of what sells and what doesn't... what attracts the crowds and what doesn't.

Headliners are what draws a LOT of people from further afield. There are not enough people within 50 miles of MK to make teh event succesful. Headliners are what draws the big crowds... thats' what 'Headliner' means!!!

This particular event is so far shaping up to be the most expensive one since C9 for me, and I know one of my friends is looking at around £260 worth of autos.

Nearly every category is being catered for with guests from

Star Wars

Star Trek ( various series )

Stargate

Heroes

Harry Potter

Doc Who

Torchwood

Buffy

with some other guests who don't really fall into a category as such. I mean Nancy Allen for one starred in one of the best action films ( Robocop ) which I believe still holds it's own against some action films today. Lea Thompson would be another, who has'nt seen Back To The Future?

As for the small fact that the John Barrowman photoshoot tickets sold out online, I hate to think how busy the Sunday is going to be with people Qing for John and Eve!

So to say this one is lacking stars is quite frankly daft , and as has been said before we all know Showmasters can get us big name guests

As usual I find myself agreeing 100% with Nicky. Movies today are castrated in fundamental ways that they never were in 1984. Studios go out of their way to pander to 13 year olds, e.g. "Yippee Kay Aye Mother [GUNSHOT], or John McClane having a CGI Battle with a Jet. What the hell was the point of that set piece? Completely pointless. He's a plucky cop, He's not a superhero. Teenagers today are so riddled with ADD they seem incapable of relating to anything that doesn't look like it fell out of an XBox game. It's actually very sad.

Wow... we've gone from Headlining stars to a pop at teh ADD generation!! Way to derail!! :uhoh:

This feels a LOT bigger than it did last autumn for me. Who was the "headliner" last year?

If you mean the last May event... then amusingly enough, it was James Masters....

(also Brandon Routh, Charisma Carpenter, Tony Head and Avery Brooks)

So John Barrowman is a bit part then?

No, he's the lead in a mildly succesful (say what you want about it, it gets about 2.5 - 3m viewers) V show on a 'minor' channel. He's better known to teh general public as the guy who helps find people to perform in musicals. He's a lovely, funny, interesting guest (I met him at the LFCC a few years back), but career wise, he's not in the same leage as Fisher, The Shatner or John Hurt.

Sorry, still laughing at the thought that Carrie Fisher, Wiliam F Shatner and Katee Sackhoff could ever be in the same league in terms of headliner. Yes Katee's cute, and done BSG, but same breath as Leia and Kirk? What drugs are you on?

As for the the 'old classic' guest vs modern blink and you missem guest (guest role in SG1 covered in costume), wee had similar discussions pre the last GMEX show over Malcolm McDowell. Apparently knowledge of Top 10 movies made before the time of your birth can't be guaranteed to be 'well known', even in a board of geeks and fanboys. Except Star Wars. so I guess Back to the Future, if not Howard the Duck, would be verging on 'huh!?' territory...

Potter leaves me cold, personally, as does Stargate, but could be persuaded if Kurt Russell or Spader did the show... especially if Russell brought widey (sort of), Goldie Hawn.

Maybe with the plethora of sub-genre shows/cons now on, its getting harder to bring out the aces at every game.

Wow... we've gone from Headlining stars to a pop at teh ADD generation!! Way to derail!! :uhoh:

Way to b!tch for no reason!

and that coming from teh person with teh snide Barrowman comment....

(here's a hint, you see the smilie.... I was joking with him!!)

I don't remember mentioning the success of the event or money taken etc.

I quite clearly was. The success of the event is entirely dependent on the number of people it attracts. Ergo, low attendance due to a poor guest lineup = unsuccessful event.

All I'm saying is that the general public are bound to be more familiar with people from those sorts of movies/tv shows that I mentioned.

The general public are familiar with established and famous actors. Apart from Leslie Phillips and June Whitfield, who else will the general public be familiar with on the guest list? Despite what you may think, the world doesn't begin and end with Torchwood.

You'd be very surprised at the number of attendees I've met while crewing that have said "wow, I didn't know this was here!" etc. That's how a lot of current regular attendees started.

Entirely irrelevant as people knowing about the event has no relation to them going to or spending money at the event.

Now yes, of course there'll always be the "£15? for a scribble? no chance!" section of the general public, but there's always those who never even realised they had a chance to meet these 'stars'.

Stars? Where are they? The only stars at that event will be the ones showing themselves long after everyone's gone home for the night. I hope you're bringing your telescope.

Edited by Malaprop

So John Barrowman is a bit part then?

No, he's the lead in a mildly succesful (say what you want about it, it gets about 2.5 - 3m viewers) V show on a 'minor' channel. He's better known to teh general public as the guy who helps find people to perform in musicals. He's a lovely, funny, interesting guest (I met him at the LFCC a few years back), but career wise, he's not in the same leage as Fisher, The Shatner or John Hurt.

Still not a bit part!! N how is that a snide comment? Its a fact, he is a lead in a show, not a bit part- fair enough! AND he's sold out photo shoot wise! The Shatner had an open queue after 3 hours!