I wonder what the theme will be this time?

nicky

HA! Not simply a thread that says "FIRST!", SUCKERS... :YAHOO: BOO-YA-SHAKAH! But anyway...

Oct 2008 is a long way yet and I guess SM used the Halloween/horror theme already (it had to happen sometime) so what can we expect this time?

Reunions are fine but I'd like to see a "in honour of the director" theme like the Kubrick thing at LFCC1 or the (accidental) Carpenter/Romero thing at C12. I personally would like to see a Paul Verhoeven one. And I mean a director's theme as in actors who have worked for them, not the directors themselves (unless SM can get them of course).

On the reunion front, The Evil Dead Trilogy would be appropriate as it's the 25th anniversary and (a Halloween-time movie)

Edited by nicky

The only thing about a directors theme is that there won't be much business, most people just want to meet the actors.

A bit of a sweeping statement AmberB. Every event that I have attended, both Showmasters and non- Showmasters, when a Director has been a guest the lines have been huge. You will find that there are a lot of budding writers out there who have Directors/Writers/Producers to thank for getting them interested. Also, you will find that an ever growing number of actors/actresses are crossing over into Directing to widen their job availability. Jonathon Frakes is one example of an actor who has worked on many projects behind the camera.

If you are a fan of Amber Benson as your name points at, and your posts, you will know of the films she has made. I have met her several times and always spoken to her about her behind the camera work rather than on Buffy.

most people just want to meet the actors.

Speak for yourself!! And just how did you reach that conclusion? Trust me, there is a demand even at dealer stands for their sigs. Look at the fans at film premiere's beckoning them over. Maybe you never saw the queue for retired, yes retired director Irvin Kershner a while back or for the recent George Romero...both guys had VTs given out.

I can understand TV show fans here (like you?) aren't intersted in TV directors but that's cos they are in a whole differnt league to film directors...Anyway I meant a "director's theme "as in the actors who have worked for them, not the directors themselves (unless SM can get them). Kubrick died in 1999 so obvioously he wasnt at the Kubrick theme at LFCC1.

You like X-Men, Amber. Wouldn't you be interested at all in meeting Bryan Singer, the director of X1, X2, Apt Pupil, The Usual Suspects, Superman Returns and Valkerie?:headscratch:

Edited by nicky

Jonathon Frakes is one example of an actor who has worked on many projects behind the camera.

When I met him I only talked about his directing duties, specifically his abandoned Total Recall sequel and not a peep about his acting or even Star Trek.

I'm sure he loved that someone was asking him about non-Star Trek stuff and about his other talents as a director. He was a great meet and talked about being a director very enthusiastically.

Jonathon Frakes is one example of an actor who has worked on many projects behind the camera.

When I met him I only talked about his directing duties, specifically his abandoned Total Recall sequel and not a peep about his acting or even Star Trek.

I'm sure he loved that someone was asking him about non-Star Trek stuff and about his other talents as a director. He was a great meet and talked about being a director very enthusiastically.

The same was true when I met Adam Busch at MK a few years back. Whilst most people saw him for his role in Buffy, I spoke to him and his band about their music as I had seen them do a gig at a convention a year or so previously. They were so responsive and signed the cd's I bought without charging me the extra auto price as per they should have. Adam also got the whole band to come round the other isde of the table and pose for a photo, rather than lean over. It just shows that speaking to someone about different aspects of their career makes them feel more than just an autograph or photo.

I think that a Halloween theme is too darn obvious. Something different would be cool as people who dress up as their favourite actors/actresses etc do so at all times of the year when alot of people who do not dress up may think we have forgotten when Halloween is.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of all the people I've met over the years (including my most wanted - Richard Dean Anderson) one of the best was meeting Steven Speilberg. Whilst I can see that directors might not be to everyone's tastes, there will be more than enough who do want to meet them.

The only thing about a directors theme is that there won't be much business, most people just want to meet the actors.

I would like to meet some more directors. I've met a few already including Irvin Kershner, Guy Hamilton, John Glen & Lewis Gilbert.

• 3 weeks later...

Id love some guests from films directed by Paul Anderson. Ive been a huge fan of Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat since their conception, and ive always wanted to meet anyone from Mortal Kombat.

As well as Anderson himself, Christopher Lambert and Robin Shou would be incredible to meet. I know from talking to Ray Park that he's friends with Robin and in touch with him, so he's be contactable! It would also be great to meet Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa and Linden Ashby(was also in Resident Evil 3)

For a long time ive also wanted to meet Chris Cassamassa and Keith Cooke, amazing martial artists from MK, and Chris was also George Clooney's stuntman in Batman and Robin. Im in touch with Chris as well so he would be easy enough to contact!

Edited by JacknDaniel

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I think it might be a eighties theme, with loads of 80s cult film guests.
That's a very broad theme, they could get practically anyone and label it "80s". Maybe 80s action stars or 80s teen movies would be better and a lot less vague.

Lets have a Jurassic Park theme to celebrate the films 15th anniversary.

Whoever heard of celebrating a 15th anniversary though? DVDs do it but then DVDs will use any excuse for a SE re-release.

• 2 weeks later...

Still dumb-founded at this statement - look at the replies on this morning's annoucment of director Neil Marshall for C13.

Still dumb-founded at this statement - look at the replies on this morning's annoucment of director Neil Marshall for C13.

Nine replies (two from you) hardly seems to have shaken the forum :D

However, I agree with the general idea that behind the camera guests would be interesting.

Inbetween my post here and that guest's announcment it was only about 3hrs on a Weds morning so he's FAR from "3rd stormtrooper from the left" material is what I meant - never implied that he shook the forum just that there obviously is sizeable interest.

And that was before he was announced as free.

Edited by nicky

• 1 month later...