new Guests for this show

showmasters

HMMMMMM, well wasn't this a perfect way of generating a lot of interest a few days before the event??

I've got to say, it all sounds a very suspicious way of getting people all excited and talking about supposed guests who were possibly going to attend - but we cannot even be told who they were!

I cannot believe big Hollywood agents would spend their time contacting SM about doing a show less than a week before, then say their clients cannot appear.

As you can see i'm a big conspiracy theorist!

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I make a shot in the dark here and ask whether or not the big name guest was Sarah Michelle Gellar? I'm sure you won't indicate to me whether I'm right or not but I'm only going on this based on SM comparing it to the 3 hobbits/heroes guests as they were all linked to a specific show/movie and the actors in question were all linked to each other in the show/movie due to the relationships their characters had.

I was thinking a Sarah/James/Kristine sandwich lol.

Edited by stavrosb

they were all linked to a specific show/movie and the actors in question were all linked to each other in the show/movie due to the relationships their characters had

That's digging pretty deep, man. SM said it was someone that would repeat Hobbit/Heroes mania - I don't think that meant they too were "linked to each other in the show/movie due to the relationships their characters had" as you said. It could have been anyone as big as them as there's a never-ending list of folks who could create Hobbit/Heroes-type mania.

Edited by nicky

• Showmasters Admin

My fictitious time line....

Agents - I have a number of my actors that aren't going to have anything to do next week. I know Jason has a show on, I'll give him a ring and see if he wants to invite any of them.

Jason - Takes the call and thinks cool, out of those 5 I'd like to try and get 3 of them.

Forum announcement -Jason's been rung by agents with some big names!

Jason - Goes back to the agents with offers for the 3 he wants.

Forum announcement - We'll hear back in the next couple of days, about a number of guests!

Agents - Go to their 3 clients with the offers. 2 say no for whatever reason, they don't want to do a show, they've made other plans, the offer isn't high enough..... Agents goes back to Jason.

Jason - OK so only one wants to attend, that's cool that actor is a big name, we'll have them.

Forum announcement - There is one big fish Jason is waiting for confirmation on.

Agent - Goes back to the guest to finalise things and for whatever reasons the actor then can't do it. The Agent contacts Jason to tell him.

Forum announcement - It's not going to happen.

The agents know Jason and so may well have gone to him BEFORE speaking to their clients. Telling Jason it was only a maybe, but it would be easier to sell the idea to the clients with a solid offer on the table.

Yes normally SM would not make an announcement until they had the final confirmation back, but as it was so close to the event they decided to let the forum know that something BIG "maybe" on it's way. This was to prime the forum so that people could help advertise the announcement if/when it came off.

You can think it was a way of getting people hyped up about the event, but in all truth, it was never going to get anyone extra to attend unless the big names WERE announced. They've announced that the guest(s) aren't coming. It would be a very big waste of time, if that's all it was. If it was Jason's intention to deceive people surely he would have left the confirmation that it was not going to happen until Friday once people may already be on their way!

OK, it's disappointing it didn't happen but I don't think anyone jumped the gun or did anything wrong.

PS: You can all make as many guesses as you like. Jason has already said he's not going to confirm who it was.

Edited by Too Tall

Can I make a shot in the dark here and ask whether or not the big name guest was Sarah Michelle Gellar?

I know SM will tell us that they can lure anyone, but SMG has said many times that she won't do these type of events. (Unless her film career carries on it's current path :unsure: )!!

Perhaps it was for the best that the big name guest(s) could not attend. Comparing it to the SM/LFCCs in question indicated to me that the event would be overshadowed by chaos as the LFCC was, trying to meet the Heroes guests (Hayden in particular) Dom and Patrick. Although I can't speak for the SM even with the 3 hobbits I'm sure that was just as difficult to control.

With guests of such cailbur, you need to be far stricter with queue management or you won't have a queue in the end, it'll be a crowd to rival a small football match - one that can't be shifted with just a raised voice.

Can I make a shot in the dark here and ask whether or not the big name guest was Sarah Michelle Gellar?

I know SM will tell us that they can lure anyone, but SMG has said many times that she won't do these type of events. (Unless her film career carries on it's current path :firedevil: )!!

I know for a fact she's done the comic-con in the states. Whether or not she was down as an official guest I don't know, but she doesn't rule them out completely.

Edited by stavrosb

SMG would have done Comic-con due to contractual obligations as part of a team to promote the film/show. My guess would be SMG would have been over to promote Southland Tales (it'd need the fanboy element in support, after the mauling it got last year at Cannes). Btw interesting cover of SMG in the US Maxim, Dec edition... Looks like she's not as scrawny as she got towards the end of Buffy/Scooby Doo. Almost see some flesh on the skeleton..

Rosario Dawson would have been an interesting choice. She's into being customer at cons in the US, and I guess could make a killing over here..

Other guesses? certain actors that once played 'A Secret Agent? From England?'.... hmm, why does a guy playing a Spaniard sound just like a Russian submariner, or a Chicago cop? Nah, wouldn't be him..

Or Paris Hilton.... LOL!

why does a guy playing a Spaniard sound just like a Russian submariner, or a Chicago cop? Nah, wouldn't be him.

Sean Connery in Highlander, The Hunt For Red October and The Untouchables....(sorry to be anally retentive but he played an Irish cop living in Chicago).

Edited by nicky

HMMMMMM, well wasn't this a perfect way of generating a lot of interest a few days before the event??

I've got to say, it all sounds a very suspicious way of getting people all excited and talking about supposed guests who were possibly going to attend - but we cannot even be told who they were!

I cannot believe big Hollywood agents would spend their time contacting SM about doing a show less than a week before, then say their clients cannot appear.

As you can see i'm a big conspiracy theorist!

Great comment :P

Perhaps you're not very far from the truth :lol:

A simple way to make advertising for G-mex :lol::unsure:

But SM have an enormous chance : actors or agents are always contacting them to assist to their event :P

:clap:

• Moderators

As usual, this is a masterstroke on the part of Showmasters, who have been working in conjunction with ALL the major transport companies in the world, as well as the local council within Manchester.

By speculating that there may be "new guests", Showmasters have increased revenue for Virgin Trains by 1000% over the last few days, as well as selling 2000 new entry tickets for GMEX, and 150 newly booked hotel rooms in and around Manchester. That's not even taking into consideration the sharp rise in 8x10, Sharpie, and deodorant sales!

I'm sure the Financial Times will pick up the story soon enough. I've already seen it on www.abovetopsecret.com!

Sorry for the direct language here, but you'd have to be an idiot to book a ticket based solely on a "we MIGHT have a big name guest" post.

a) MIGHT have, not have

b ) could be a big name that you're not interested in anyway?!

I can't believe anyone would have booked based on that. Looked into coming just in case, quite probably, but not actually booked.

Edited by Bob D

• Showmasters Admin

as well as selling 2000 new entry tickets for GMEX

Even more impressive as someone already pointed out (to their annoyance) SM announced these possible guests "after" the on-line shop had already closed!

I think I'm going to jump onto the conspiracy bandwagon here too I think, what SM have done does sound like a great way to generate hype for the event before the weekend and by using the excuse that other non SM events might try and steal the guests for themselves is a bit lame (A certain nameless event, obviously, held in Birmingham for example had a good chunk of the guests that appeared at the collectormania that's just been and gone, so it's not unheard of for the other events to sniff around similar bushes if you see where I'm going). That way they could make out like any guest would not be impossible to obtain and at the same time avoid any legal ramifications by falsely advertising a guest in order to obtain publicity and ticket sales.

In there defense however, SM have gained nothing by announcing the failure of their plan, I'm sure if they wanted to, nothing would have stopped them from confirming the guest and cunningly announcing them as a surprise until the event itself, meaning you'd need to pay to find out, then at the event "apologising" to fail to secure the guest(s) yet at the same time having made off with a fair bit of moolah.

Bit pointless since this thread was started after the deadline for ordering tickets online....

++edit++

Nuts, Too Tall beat me to the punchline

Edited by chrismk

• Showmasters Admin

Sorry for the direct language here, but you'd have to be an idiot to book a ticket based solely on a "we MIGHT have a big name guest" post.

a) MIGHT have, not have

b ) could be a big name that you're not interested in anyway?!

I can't believe anyone would have booked based on that. Looked into coming just in case, quite probably, but not actually booked.

Indeed, that was one of my points. As a plan to get more attendees to G-Mex it's a pretty bad one.

• Moderators

You guys obviously haven't seen the subliminal message on the first page that flashes up at 7 minutes past every hour - it says PHONE HERE FOR TICKETS 080 968 66766! with a face that looks suspiciously like a Mr Joiner.

Some spooky chipmunk recording plays asking you to put in all your credit card details through the phone keys, and then promises to send your ticket within 28 days- yet never asks for your address?!

Oddly enough, after some deep investigation, 968 66766 = YOU MORON! Coincedence? :unsure:

ok the big name we were working on is not able to come to this event,:grump: so we are now working on getting this person to agree to another show next year. :thumbup:

sorry we did try and if we had of pulled it of it would have been like CM4 with the hobbits or LFCC 07 with Heroes but sadly it was not to be :no:

we also felt that we needed to pre warn you all as it was a big name and short notice and we would have needed your help in letting the fans know they were coming to the show so thank you for being there :coolthumb:

we are not going to tell how it was as other event may try to copy and go and try to make offers to the same guest and it may damage the chances of getting them next year

thanks for you all for understanding and i think we will pull this of next year :D

jason :WAVE:

it was the queen wasnt it !! :o

ok the big name we were working on is not able to come to this event,:grump: so we are now working on getting this person to agree to another show next year. :thumbup:

sorry we did try and if we had of pulled it of it would have been like CM4 with the hobbits or LFCC 07 with Heroes but sadly it was not to be :no:

we also felt that we needed to pre warn you all as it was a big name and short notice and we would have needed your help in letting the fans know they were coming to the show so thank you for being there :coolthumb:

we are not going to tell how it was as other event may try to copy and go and try to make offers to the same guest and it may damage the chances of getting them next year

thanks for you all for understanding and i think we will pull this of next year :D

jason :WAVE:

it was the queen wasnt it !! :o

Lies, all lies - who else COULD it have been but the double act of God and Jesus themselves!!!!!

also lets get real people - an event with malcom mcdowell, lance henrikeson, torri (finally!!!!) and manymore from hit tv shows is hardly lacking in great guests. youshould go back in the years when cm used to just have a few people from dr who! then you wouldn't be so quick to moan.

now play nice INDIO :coolthumb:

I'm pretty sure that's not him?:headscratch:

Indeed, I don't know this indio but it's definitely not him, I know Sebastien, he's not as mean as he seems :thumbup::grump:

hey nickey you gonna be at gmex on the sunday?? wouldn't mind finally meeting you after being amuse by many of your comments on here. plus we seem to be the only people who post in the film and tv section anymore!

So, I guess this means you will go to G-Mex on sunday and you won't come to Germany later ?

Edited by lams9999

hey nicky you gonna be at gmex on the sunday?? wouldn't mind finally meeting you after being amuse by many of your comments on here. plus we seem to be the only people who post in the film and tv section anymore!

No, I wont be there. I was gonna go for just Sat anyway but its too much hassle getting a flight in and out for essentially just Charles Cyphers who only had a very small part in Escape From New York anyway so my poster wont miss him that much. I hoped this new big guest might pursuade me.

Thanks to Jason for letting us know in the end though. :coolthumb:

Great comment :grump:

Perhaps you're not very far from the truth :coolthumb:

A simple way to make advertising for G-mex :D:headscratch:

But SM have an enormous chance : actors or agents are always contacting them to assist to their event :WAVE:

:no:

now play nice INDIO :thumbup:

First of all, there was no agressivity in what i said, Jason...

It was just a little ironic and it was said with a "perhaps" and with a lots of :o

Perhaps, if you react to my message, is it because there's something true ?

Perhaps you think I'm always criticizing you, Jason... but i know that a lot of people think the things i say... but nobody want to be the one who tells it. And it's always with smiles and without insult (except one time with DavidB, sorry for that)

But when a SM event is great, i tell it. Don't believe that I speak on this forum only to criticize...

Edited by sebastianillyria