autograph pens

garnerman

i use the hard plastic sleeves that they sell at the event (bought a pack of 50) and i've not had any trouble with anything rubbing off as a general rule.

only glitch was not waiting long enough for carrie fisher gold to dry (wasnt sharpie) and not waiting for tony head's to dry either. other than that, so far they seem to be surviving well, my oldest is about 4 years old. oh and iyari was using a silver fine liner on costume card, but it was crap - avoid them - but iyari is hot so i let her off :-)

on a non CM note, i have a signed photo of phil collins (su su sussido!!) which has been kept in anorma a4 plastic sleeve (like at school!) and that seems find after about 10 years.

i always take a sharpie with me (a silver one from ebay as directed from a kind someone here) and a black one, but ive nto had to use them.

Edited by Kookie22

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A promotions team from Sharpies were at Autographica this year, giving away a variety of colours and styles of pen.

I had a chat with them about silver pens in particular, and metallic ones in general. They stated that the reason that metallic Sharpies are not sold in the UK (or in Europe in general) is that the solvent used is not approved for sale here.

They are very well aware of the demand for metallic pens, but at present do not have a product which they can legally supply.

Interesting, since my local Costco has been selling packs of 20 black Sharpies with a free silver Sharpie for about the last 18 months. (I'm assuming these have been imported by Costco themselves, rather than by Sanford...)

Edited by TommyT

A promotions team from Sharpies were at Autographica this year, giving away a variety of colours and styles of pen.

I had a chat with them about silver pens in particular, and metallic ones in general. They stated that the reason that metallic Sharpies are not sold in the UK (or in Europe in general) is that the solvent used is not approved for sale here.

They are very well aware of the demand for metallic pens, but at present do not have a product which they can legally supply.

Interesting, since my local Costco has been selling packs of 20 black Sharpies with a free silver Sharpie for about the last 18 months. (I'm assuming these have been imported by Costco themselves, rather than by Sanford...)

thats weird. ill be keeping my eyes open when i go to makro....

Great thread. I'm looking into what oens should be used for autographs. Some seem to dry out, some take ages to dry so i don't really have a clue what to go for.

I am looking for pens which are blue, gold and silver for my autos. I keep hearing abour sharpies so i just bought a silver one of ebay for around £1.70. I'll try it out for myself and see what it's like. If i like it then i'll see about getting it in Gold and Blue too.

I see alot of Carrie Fisher autos signed in Blue and as far as i am aware she likes to use sharpies. These are the types of results i am after.

It's for my star wars collection. I have 1 poster which i will get signed by everyone in the Sequals. That will be put in a frame that i have already had made. Cost a fair bit but has non-reflective glass.

All the guests from the Preuqal Trilogy i am going to get their autos on 8x10 photos. These i will store in non-acid sleeves that go into a folder.

With these sleeves as i am stoing 8x10 photos do i need to get the next size up sleeves (8.5x11) or does an 8x10 photo fit in an 8x10 sleeve?

I use fairly heavy duty (rather expensive) 8x10 photo files which are acid free etc. (8x10 sizes are fine for 8x10 photos). Never had any issues with my autos in these! www.arrowfile.com

£2.99 for a pack of 10, but you can get 2 photos in one sheet back to back - also you can buy in bulk which is what i do.

Edited by be_insane

rudducks sell great gold and silver pens. 2 pounds each but well worth it. always make sure the pens are BULLET POINT. asda also have a pack of 4 for 2 pounds, 2 black,1blue,1 red. the red one is excellent. it took me ages to find these after many cheap rubbish ones.

Its not always the pens that are the problem.....sometimes the guests use dark colours on dark backgrounds!

Brent Spiner did that with me :YAHOO: but, fair dues to him, he looked at it and said 'that doesn't look too good' so he signed it again in silver - now I have a shot with two sigs on it :D

Its not always the pens that are the problem.....sometimes the guests use dark colours on dark backgrounds!

Billy Boyd did that to me! I was getting 2 auto's one for me and one for my sister. he signed mine black on black and my sisters silver on black. twas not happy

Billy Boyd did that to me! I was getting 2 auto's one for me and one for my sister. he signed mine black on black and my sisters silver on black. twas not happy

Glad I'm not the only one. Surely light pen on dark, and dark pen on light isn't rocket science?! Don't get me started on spelling my name wrong!!!

Edited by A007

Oh yea, name spelling! All the american guests ask me if its Elizabeth with a Z or S! So I usually mention it now, but then with the English guests they give me a weird look if i say that lol!

I've always gone with whatever pen the guest uses, and the only one thats ever smudged is my Avery Brookes and its because he slipped his thumb over it!! But it was only tiny, n i'm meeting him again at CM yay!

My non scientific approach is just to wave the autograph about n blow on it for a bit then put it in the £1 protectors they sell around, n then when i get home I put them in a glass frame (yea my wall is jam packed full!) n they're all well kept.

Ah yes, the spelling issue...

Try being called Mieneke a few times :help: Americans usually turn it into Meineke, which is a muffler company, and British people have no clu as to what the spelling should be. I always have my name written down at cons, and this year I got one of those LED- namesigns somewhere, so will flash everyone with that :drunk:

I think that the blue sharpies are really great. But, as stated before, can't get them over here. Good to hear they are for sale in the UK, so will defo get some when at CM.

shopping list is growing...

- sharpies

- sleeves

- oodles of autographs!

My creditcard is my friend...

I have a Doctor Who sleeve where one guest had signed in black and another did not realise and signed his name on top of it!

Probably not for the weekend, (for the future) but my mate told me today he gets all his sharpies and paint sharpies from Kingpen.com in the USA. You ring the guy up, tell him what you want, pay by credit card, he adds the shipping fee over the phone and you get them shipped, no problem.

I've had a look at the site and its pretty good.

http://www.uktradingcards.com/tree/166

i always use ultra pro acid free sleeves from the above site.

never had any problems.

100 sleeves for £21

free post to UK addresses.

cant go wrong at 21p each.

But, those only fit 3-ring binders, and those are pretty hard to find over here in Holland... I've punched extra holes for my CCG cards, but am not doing that again.

never had any problems.

100 sleeves for £21

Can you fit 8x10 photos in 8x10 sleeves or do you have to go for the next size up? (8.5x11)

8x10 photos will fit in the 8x10 sleeves.

can sometimes be a little tight but all of my 8x10's have fitted.

i might give the 8.5x11 a try next time.

never had any problems.

100 sleeves for £21

But, those only fit 3-ring binders, and those are pretty hard to find over here in Holland... I've punched extra holes for my CCG cards, but am not doing that again.

they do sell 3-ring binders on the site as well, have a look in accessories.

i got the black collectors card binder to keep my photos in.

they're also acid free.

Today at a shop called Partners, I bought a pack of 5 Sharpies (blue, red and black IIRC.) for a fiver. I didn't see any silver/gold ones.

This was in Nottingham. Hobbycraft seemed to have moved from the Broad Marsh Centre, so I was temporarily stuck for a source.

I got my Silver Sharpies from Canada. The art store I went to had a holy grail of sharpies - it was madness - loads of different colours!

Also got some paint pens made by Elmers, got a load of them!! They're good!

But where can I get GOOD QUALITY paint pens in the UK???

Ad