LATEST GUEST ANNOUNCEMENT Michael Biehn

showmasters

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one ! Obviously Michael has erm ..... BIEHN !! before .... to the second LFACC at Wembley - Jeez what a weekend THAT was !!

He's a fantastic guest - despite only making it there at the last minute when his schedule changed, and being tired and jetlagged, he was still one of the NICEST guests I've ever encountered at a SM show. I was a bit of a newbie at the time, and let's face it - Kyle Reese is movie legend. I was pretty in awe, but Michael was really cool and chatty - top bloke.

He sits on our side of the desk, and had a seat there for punters as well. Really enjoyable meet that was well worth the £20.

Awsome, go great with my Al Mathews I got.

Might get 2 auto's, dunno which other film to pick other than aliens, too many to choose from lol

Grindhouse comes out about that month, thats probably why he's over here, promoting.

Your other's gotta be The Terminator! :headscratch:

Edited by A007

Cinema as we know it has only been around for less than 100 years.

The last Terminator and Alien films were made after 2003. Yes, Terminator and Aliens are modern...everyone is famialir with them and they are still a large part of modern pop culture. They were made in the Hollywood age (1980s) of the action expliotation blockbuster with cast and crew that are still very active today. Director James Cameron also is one of the staples in modern sf...i think maybe you're taking the word "modern" a bit too literally? :WINCE: Or perhaps they were made before you when you were little? I was 8 when Terminaor was amde.

Edited by collector-man

Definitely agree - everything James Cameron has done is part of "modern" cinema. Pop Culture (as we know it) came about in the 1960s when the word "teenager" became part of language. I'd day Modern Cinema stared round about the same time .....

I still can't relate to them being classed as modern cinema :)

The Alien franchise is almost 30 years old, Terminator over 20. Aliens is probably my favourite series of films, I'm certainly not knocking them... Alien looks better than most films made these days anyway!

As you say, cinema is lessthan 100 years old, so if these films are still considered "modern" cinema, where do we draw the line of definition?

The term "modern cinema" doesnt actually refer the age of a film, but rather it's subject matter and its relevance in society. It is not to be confused with "recent movies" which is what I think you mean.

Take for instance "post-modern cinema". This is stuff like controversial or politaclly incorect films that would not have been acceptable in previous years such as Borat, World Trade Centre, Shallow Hal, Team America etc.

Alien is "post modern" horror. It is a horror movie in space with sf elements which makes it more than your usual horror movie. Technically, film making wise, it's modern. It's an old film but its still part of "modern cinema" and popular culture.

"Modern cinema" refers to the films from the blockbuster age ie early 70s and onwards when the Hollywood studio system changed. The early 70s saw the arrival of the new blockbuster (expensive, mass marketing, big names) film as in Godfather, Jaws, Franch Connection, Exorcist. Previously you had stuff like the "silent era" and the "Golden era" (50s) etc.

Dufresne?

Edited by collector-man