Carrie Fisher - Rest In Peace

Raylenth

Carrie's first LFACC appearance was one of my first SM events.

I really liked her in Star Wars, but at that time I was still in a low paying job and unsure if to get her autograph, only reason being I wasn*t sure if I could afford it. A friend of mine in the US is a die hard Star Wars fan and begged me to help him get her autograph. So it was clear I was getting in line anyway.

The week before the show I imjured my leg so badly, I ended up being in a wheelchair, high on pain medication. I decided okay, you are hobbling around on crutches, you are getting yourself a treat. You are getting Carrie*s autograph.

Mind you, this was before the time of photoshoots. Her line was mental. And then it was my turn. She saw that sick something in a wheelchair and decided to make some magic happen. Suddenly I heard her asking "Would you like a photo?" I really thought I was imagining thinks. You know, the line from hell, "no photos" sign up by the dozen, 1000s of people with stacks of posters and god knows what else, and she is asking ME with two table pictures on my lap if I want a photo?

Thank god my friend who was pushing me had a non-clouded mind and after a second of "OH MY GOD" immediately told her: "She would love one. Please forgive her, she is on pain medication and now starstruck too. "

And Carrie takes my hand, pulls my arm over the table as good as possible to get me closer and puts her head on my arm like Leia does in that one press picture.

It was a good thing I already was in this wheelchair. Otherwise they would have had to carry me off from the line.

I think - at least I hope - that at one point I told her "thank you. Thank you so much." Not even my friend could tell because at that point we both thought we were dreaming.

RIP Carrie. You were a really special Lady.

• Like 7

Very, VERY saddened and shocked to hear about this, it was totally unexpected. I know she had a heart attack, but I truly thought she was on the mend and going to pull through. My thoughts are with her family and her beautiful furbaby Gary, he's really going to miss her too, the picture of him on Twitter is enough to bring tears to the eyes. It was an absolute privilege to meet you Carrie, sleep tight, you will always be missed.

Of all the celebs lost this year, Carrie's passing has shocked me the most. She was such a huge part of a cultural phenomenon. Just far too young.

I am very grateful that Showmasters gave us several chances to meet her and I feel lucky I can say I had the pleasure of meeting her at LFCC 2014. I was going to have her sign just a trading card and debated an 8x10 as well, but trying to be frugal decided against it. At the last minute on the way to the event to withdraw some money for the show, I thought to hell with it and got out some extra for that second auto. I remember waiting in her line for about 2hrs on the Sunday because she was late, but she was worth it.

I asked if she would put "Galactically Yours" (something she used to write on autos back in the 70s) she snapped "NO" and said she'd write me something else, and she gave me the best personalised auto I have ever had from a celeb. She asked "how's that?" and I told her it was much better and thanked her profusely.
I really didn't know what to expect from a famously temperamental character but she gave me a great experience and I really appreciated that.
I told her it was great to see Gary with her and she looked genuinely happy at that comment.

I remember many complained she insisted on having Gary with her in the photoshoots but even as someone who doesn't really like animals/dogs, but her quirkiness is one of the reasons so many loved her. She was nothing if not fun.

I wrote an essay.

We all know that 2016 has seen the sad deaths of many famous people; David Bowie, Alan Rickman and Terry Wogan all left us in the first month alone and that was just the beginning. But for me, the saddest death of the year has been Carrie Fisher.

Star Wars was my childhood. When I was five years old, all the other boys in the school playground were playing football; I was playing Star Wars. I had Star Wars toys, books, audio cassettes and all the movies on VHS. I remember once when I was 8 being up early one Sunday, before anyone else in the house was awake, and I had my first Star Wars marathon – all three movies in a row, back to back. I was halfway through Empire before anyone else woke up.

And there was only one woman of note in these films, Princess Leia. The feisty, fearless, fearsome femme who stood up to Vader and Tarkin and even killed Jabba. I had two strong female role-models when I was a boy, my mother and Leia. And I do say Leia as opposed to Carrie Fisher because when you're that age you don't care too much about the actors, it's the characters who they bring to life capture your heart.

But of course, as I grew older, that outlook faded but my love of Star Wars never did. I no longer saw Princess Leia in quite such a rosy way but I began to appreciate Carrie Fisher instead, the woman who brought the Princess so memorably to life. She was smart, talented and kind and decades later I had the good fortune to meet her at a fan event.

I queued for over an hour but I never once minded. When my time came to finally say hello to her, I admitted I was very anxious. She asked me why and I told her a very brief synopsis of my mental health problems. So on the photo she was signing for me, Carrie Fisher wrote: “For Ian, Who has problems but problems don't have him, You are my hero, Carrie Fisher, A co mentally well”.

And that was it. My brief interaction with the woman who played one of my childhood role-models was over, I'd never meet her again. But out of the 150+ signed and personalised celebrity photos I have, hers is one of my favourites and one of my most personal and one of the most treasured.

I'm in my late 30s now but my childhood has never ended. I still love Star Wars and would still far more happily play it than football. I'll even play the part of the Princess if you like.

For Carrie Fisher, Who had problems but problems didn't have her, You were my hero, Ian, A co mentally well.

I tweeted the essay, too, if anyone feels like re-tweeting it:

https://twitter.com/Stenun/status/814018270915338240

• Like 5

Never seen any Star Wars and wasn't a fan, but she seemed to be a very friendly and nice person. Stll felt very sad when I heard she had a heart attack and had this one horrible thought she won't make it and now I know. Too bad for all her family and her fans. Always bad when someone is dying and she was just 60.

• 1 month later...