Social Media Behaviour

Spaced Ace

Does anyone else find the comment sections on some social media platforms sickening and disappointing?

I, like a lot of you I suspect, follow a lot of pages that come under the geek umbrella and I'm appalled at the way people talk to each other.

Now on to my point - forums such as this are extremely civil, which is as it should be, and in person at cons everyone's accommodating and willing to chat to strangers in queues. So why do some (a lot!) of people feel the need to resort to personal attacks if they disagree over a film/genre/character?

A typical example is the Marvel/DC divide. I've seen some truly disgusting insults thrown around in comment sections. What I don't understand is that geek (sorry if anyone finds that term disagreeable but it covers all bases for my point) culture is largely a minority thing so we should all stick together, not throw insults at each other because someone thinks Iron Man's better than Batman.

It saddens me to see it, especially as it never (in my experience) happens face to face, it's always from behind the safety of a keyboard.

Has anyone ever been on the receiving end and, if so, how did you react? I'm genuinely interested to know how this affects the community.

Edited by Spaced Ace
  • Like 1

• Moderators

In all honesty - it's the Internet. It's the sad nature of people being anonymous and/or behind keyboards. When you can say something without any real ramifications, it happens quite a lot.

But yes, a number of fandoms have those nasty divides and it is quite saddening.

I genuinely ignore it for the most part though it does often put me off getting involved in certain discussions.

Thats because this Forum has Good Mods, who will not accept Bad behaviour (Sometimes thats good, sometimes can be bad) Everyone on here is very civil and I think we like it that way, where people can come on and Air their views. other Forums might not have good Mods so get out of hand, and really do you want to be a part of that? :no: Life is hard without stressing yourself out more for no reason. Just enjoy yourself. :smile:

• Like 1

I don't use facebook or twitter partly because of the negative aspects you refer to above; this forum is as far as I go in terms of social media.

Even when I use YouTube I don't have to scroll down the comments section too far before I see vile comments.

The folks on here are a good bunch who can exchange views in a civilised manner!

• Like 1

I don't use facebook or twitter partly because of the negative aspects you refer to above; this forum is as far as I go in terms of social media.

One of the keys is to limit what you are on. Facebook I only do immediate family and a few key people I either know or have chatted to in other area's such as here so you get a feel for people and Twitter a few main company's and things for info related to Sherlock/Cumberbatch and I've been totally fine. I don't follow hashtags, as you get a lot of vitriol there, for example people's reaction to the first S4 Sherlock episode.

All in all as Mr The Camel said it's the moderators on the forum who make a difference. On a certain big movie site I wanted to go on after Doctor Strange to discuss and see what people where saying but had to stop looking at it as the amount of people slagging the people who enjoyed the film and other users off was extraordinary and and nothing seemed to get them banned.

• Like 2

It's such a shame. Facebook is a fantastic thing that's ruined by the people who use it, and I fully see the irony there. If everyone was more tolerant and willing to take opinions on board the discussions that could be had on there would be so satisfying.

But that's the way of the world now. Well, the people in it anyway.

I don't think I'll ever understand why people will resort to personal attacks over things that are made to entertain, it seems so pointless.

Still, as long as you lot keep the open arms attitude I'll stick around. :smile:

As DavidB said, anonymity is a powerful thing. Derren Brown did a great show relating to it where he set up a game show and the audience wore masks and got to choose whether a good or bad thing happens to an unsuspecting guy at a bar. I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it, but things don't go well for that guy. The film 'Nerve' is basically about the same thing.

Edited by Wrong Name

Its Spambots that grind my gears more than anything. But largely my behaviour is dictated by people I interact with. Treat people with respect and I'll treat you with respect, be rude and I'll make you sorry

Shut up John.

• Like 1

Its Spambots that grind my gears more than anything. But largely my behaviour is dictated by people I interact with. Treat people with respect and I'll treat you with respect, be rude and I'll make you sorry

Shut up John.

Kiss my bum

• Like 1

Shut up John.

Kiss my bum

If it's a pimply one, I think not.

People in general suck. Its sad but true, if you take away the risk of being caught or punished then by and large people devolve to unpleasantness.

In the prison experiment where others were given control over people they routinely degraded or abused their position of 'power'.

For centuries people verbally or physically abused others based on skin colour, gender, sexuality any little thing that was different.

The internet in general has given the pond scum a way to spout their crap and find like minded dumbasses to agree with them. Its only getting worse now these dangerous opinions are seen as valid because of the Brexit result or Trump being elected or, far more dangerous in my opinion, the guy who wanted to legalise rape and the alt-right movement.

We bitch and moan about trolls online all the time but all they are are the safer version of a much bigger issue

some people just don't realise the impact their words have on others or that how you talk with your friends in a casual way isn't the way you should talk in any public forum. They don't connect themselves to the definition of a troll and if you call them out they often feel like they are being trolled! don't take the comments to heart, keep calm and carry on