Southern Trains Strike 12th-17th July

This annoys me to no end! Maybe one day the trains will run without any delays, cancellations or strikes?

If this goes ahead as planned, there's no way for me to get to Olympia on the Friday, as all services down here are Southern.

This annoys me to no end! Maybe one day the trains will run without any delays, cancellations or strikes?

If this goes ahead as planned, there's no way for me to get to Olympia on the Friday, as all services down here are Southern.

I think may be you have miss read the original post ? NOT all trains will be effected as they will be running some just because they are on strike doesn't mean the Southern Network will come to a close all it means is instead of say running 4 trains a hour they will only run 1. You will have to check closer to Friday to get a idea of what trains are running. It will mean you might have to get a earlier train or even change your route ( if possible ) or worse case they may even do a replacement bus service.

As I said check closer to the day I would phone National Rail Enquires on Weds they should know whats what by then.

Its by no means a disaster it just means you will have to adjust your plans :)

Another good idea is to ask Southern via Twitter as they can be helpful there. Plus it's free!

Something to consider is that the trains may be shorter than normal due to no maintenance on some carriages, we just won't have a complete idea until the week as you say.

Thanks guys, I've asked on Twitter with no reply.

I don't have another train route as it's the only line and only Southern go along my line. It takes me an hour to get from mine to London as it is, a replacement bus may be less than useful to be honest. But will have to see, hopefully there will still be a service, as it is, there's only 2 trains an hour from my station.

Some helpful stuff for all.

First the southern service does run a train from Clapham Junction to Olympia as do London Overground. So in theory we are effected, but not as server if it was the London Overground striking.

Also a reminder about the olympia branch of the district line. It runs for busy Olympia events, so I venture a guess it will be running from olympia to earls court.

Also one more bit of useful information, check before you travel anything can happen on the day, hopefully it won't, but the train people are not robots so things can go wrong.

Hope this helps some people.

Thanks guys, I've asked on Twitter with no reply.

I don't have another train route as it's the only line and only Southern go along my line. It takes me an hour to get from mine to London as it is, a replacement bus may be less than useful to be honest. But will have to see, hopefully there will still be a service, as it is, there's only 2 trains an hour from my station.

The Twitter team will answer best during the day and early evening I've found. Which station would you be travelling from? Could you travel a little way to a bigger station via bus?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but this annoucement says 5 day strike from 12th July, if I'm counting right should it be 12th-16th july ?? And there is no mention of 17th

5 days:

5pm 12th - 5pm 13th = 1day

5pm 13th - 5pm 14th = 1day

5pm 14th - 5pm 15th = 1day

5pm 15th - 5pm 16th = 1day

5pm 16th - 5pm 17th = 1day

= 5days

So technically, back to normal after 17:00?

Anyway, this is for next week. Bosses and workers don't want to strike so you never know there might be a last minute agreement. This may occur before the planned strikes or during the first two days of the planned strike so it might not last the whole 5 days. We'll see.

• Like 1

Damn. I think the one from Clapham Junction for me might be a Southern train. That could be a real problem for me.

- G

Do you mean the train from Clapham Junction to Olympia? That's a London Overground train and so won't be affected. Hopefully...

Thanks - you're right, I was thinking of when I go from Clapham Junction to Milton Keynes, as that's a Southern one. Phew! :-)

- G

hope it doesnt affect my journey. i get the megabus to east midlands parkway then from there get the train direct to kings cross on friday morning

Megabus is a bus, therefore I suspect any rail strikes will not affect it. East Midlands Parkway to London Kings Cross is run by East Midlands Trains, so nothing to worry about

Edited by one of vicky's bfs
  • Like 1

thanks, yeah it was the train part of the journey from EM park way to kings x i was thinking about. thanks though.

hope it doesnt affect my journey. i get the megabus to east midlands parkway then from there get the train direct to kings cross on friday morning

Megabus is a bus, therefore I suspect any rail strikes will not affect it. East Midlands Parkway to London Kings Cross is run by East Midlands Trains, so nothing to worry about

According to today's South Today 18:00 news broadcast this strike is more likely going to go ahead.

Shouldn't affect be as I'm using South West Trains for the journey to London (up to Clapham Junction and then London Overground to West Brompton), the only Southern train I will be using is in the way home.

Just thought others would like to know :D

Edited by FoxhoundTCF
  • Like 1

There is on the 18/19 but I'm coming on the 17th - no issues for me unless anything changes.... Its only on Sunday where I may need to be a little wary about the issues with the underground, but we'll see.... Thanks for posting the link, wrong_name.

• Like 1

According to today's South Today 18:00 news broadcast this strike is more likely going to go ahead.

Shouldn't affect be as I'm using South West Trains for the journey to London (up to Clapham Junction and then London Overground to West Brompton), the only Southern train I will be using is in the way home.

Just thought others would like to know :D

Thank you very much for this.

My train is a Southeastern one from Tunbridge Wells to Charing Cross. I've checked to see if this strike will affect my journey but nothing comes up. Do you think ill be ok?