Backup Cumberplan?--Just a Thought.

MildGrooveOn

I'm not sure this thread is going to be especially helpful. This is something completely out of Showmasters control and the reality is, there isn't really any sort of back up plan they could have in place that would make up for him not being able to come. Even if they got someone like Martin Freeman in at the last minute, which is exceedingly unlikely, it still wouldn't be the seem if the main character was there.

All I can see a thread like this doing is agitating people and getting them worked up over something that no one can have any control over.

• Like 1

I'm not sure this thread is going to be especially helpful. This is something completely out of Showmasters control and the reality is, there isn't really any sort of back up plan they could have in place that would make up for him not being able to come. Even if they got someone like Martin Freeman in at the last minute, which is exceedingly unlikely, it still wouldn't be the seem if the main character was there.

All I can see a thread like this doing is agitating people and getting them worked up over something that no one can have any control over.

Exactly. And on another note I despise all the nicknames used for his wife and their baby :thumbdown:

• Like 2

Scaremongering isn't really going to help anyone. Truth is, they haven't said when she's due. (because its their business and no-one elses) She was at the Letters Live thing on Friday I believe and from the photos she didn't look like she was about to give birth in the next 2 weeks. I know she has a stylist who would be dressing her well and maybe disguising a bump to a degree, and I'm no baby expert, but she looks to have at the very least a month - six weeks to go if not more.

• Like 3

Astro - baahahabahaha!! VIP passes only.

As for usefulness of thread.. I want to know what happens if a lead guest drops out, as I've maxed a credit card to come, and am flying a long way. I believe as someone with a bill for this holiday in the thousands, I'm allowed to ask, hon.

Anyone feeling slightly agitated may leave the thread and take a few whiskey shots. ;)

• Like 1

Astro - baahahabahaha!! VIP passes only.

As for usefulness of thread.. I want to know what happens if a lead guest drops out, as I've maxed a credit card to come, and am flying a long way. I believe as someone with a bill for this holiday in the thousands, I'm allowed to ask, hon.

Anyone feeling slightly agitated may leave the thread and take a few whiskey shots. ;)

MGO, unfortunately nothing happens if Benedict had to cancel. (You would of course be refunded for any individual activities you have paid for with that guest outside of your package ticket) This is the rule of going to these types of events, you shouldn't book for the 1 guest and if you do you do you have to factor in the possibility of them cancelling. These shows are always run on the basis that guests, can and do cancel for work and other unforeseen events.

I've been going to cons for years and have had it happen several times. When you book for shows you always have to book on the proviso that the person you want to see may not end up being there.

That was always one of the advantages of Sherlocked happening so quickly, there is significantly less chance of the guests cancelling (emergencies notwithstanding).

• Like 3

There aren't really any workable contingency plans for a couple of reasons - first, there never are, the organisers don't have guests waiting at home for SM to call and tell them that seeing as X has dropped out they can come. In the normal course of things if guests do drop out of show specific events, SM will try and replace them with other cast members if time and availability allow.

Also who would you replace him with? Most of the cast are already attending and the only equivalent for Ben would be Martin who we already know can't come.

Replace him with the IOU Apple?

On a stick.

Or Redbeard.

Again Ray, thanks so much for chiming in... I only have experience with a convention called FanExpo here in Canada. I genuinely don't know what the global standard is for these things on a bigger scale.

If a pass holder gets nothing? That's fine! I just want to know *now*. Especially I wanted to know if I do get something with him additionally. (Really it applies to all guests)

It sounded at first glance that even if you have extra purchases with him you get no refund.

So glad that may not be the case at least.

Edited by MildGrooveOn

There's no problem checking what may happen, as you say at least you know. I think the issue is that unfortunately threads like these can become alarmist is posters aren't careful. There's no point stressing about things that may or may not happen.

Re refunds, your package ticket will only ever be refunded if the event itself is cancelled. Re add ons you may have purchased additionally outside of what is included in your package, if they are guest specific you will be refunded. Say Ben did cancel, if you had bought a 'Ben and You on 221 set' photo shoot, you would be refunded. You wouldn't be refunded for a group talk/picture if one of the listed people pulled out for the same above reasons. The talk/shoot would still go ahead with the other guests so you wouldn't get your money back. The only situation I'm unsure about would be if you would get a partial refund for group events, but I don't think you would.

Edited by Raylenth
  • Like 1

The only situation I'm unsure about would be if you would get a partial refund for group events, but I don't think you would.

They have given partial refunds of group events. I know that I bought a Red Dwarf group photoshoot for an event that showmasters run. One of the guests pulled out, so they just did a partial refunded.

Since they have gone to eventbrite ticketing, I don't know what they would do about it. Would they have to refund the whole ticket, and then put on a new ticket for sale with less guests for a cheaper price.

cap

• Like 1

Oh nice. No hopes up but that's cool that they did that! I get that eventbrite complicates some things, but It's definitely been wonderful that they've done things like pull off upgrades.

Watching that process early on really built some trust with me.

Edited by MildGrooveOn

Not keen on calling his unborn child Cumberfetus that just makes me shudder with yuckiness, cumberbitches is bad enough and BC has said himself he hates that term.

Don't think this thread will help things though as people just browsing these boards will start to panic and the organisers will get more and more emails regarding such questions re a backup plan and not be able to deal with the stuff that they should be!

Perhaps a mod could either delete it or rephrase it slightly?

• Like 3

Fans haven't used cumberbitches for years...just media when they're being.. media. Usually it's brought up after a question something like "god, isn't your name ridiculous?" And before showing off uncomfortable fanart of the guy for reactional lulz.. -_-

I was just being silly, I genuinely meant no harm.

I'm actually *really* shocked at how sensitive you guys have been about it.. stirring dramatic feels wasn't the purpose, truly.

Edited by MildGrooveOn
  • Like 1

I have been very shocked by some of the terribly negative, juvenile reaction to Benedict's engagement, marriage and impending baby, which has resulted in ridiculous attacks on Sophie Hunter on the web and social media. Some of us are huge fans but don't subscribe to the sort of jealousy and nonsensical possessiveness that has always come with swooning fandom over actors and pop stars, and I think that's why some folk are a bit prickly about this sort of thing.

• Like 3

When I mentioned this reaction in another area online, someone did infact remind me of all that going on.

I honestly thought I just made it jokey enough to make the silly obvious... but I makes sense! Beware the prickles!

Haven't read the whole thread, but I just have to say that I think the wording of the "question" is very disrespectful. Would you like to be called like that?

Also, there doesn't need to be a backup plan, If Benedict has to cancel. he will, and SM has no obligation to get a replacement. This event is a celebration of Sherlock the TV series, not of Benedict.You always book under the terms and conditions that any guest is allowed to pull out at any time for any reason.

Edited by SammyRomie
  • Like 2

It's not about being sensitive it's about respect to be fair both for how BC and his life are discussed and how people perceive threads on these boards, some of us have been around the con scene for many many years and know how excited people get but also how quick some people skim read thread titles it can be misleading and lead to all sorts of nightmare questions if someone just reads a few words.

This sort of thing happened last time BC did an event, one post by one person and a whole s**tstorm brewed up just from a few "innocent" words.

It's just unnecessary to start threads like that especially if you're not going to be overly happy with and respect the replies you get.

I'm genuinely surprised it hasn't been removed yet!!

Edited by ericsdonor
  • Like 2