Do we really need you to post if ... ?

Stenun

If you wouldn't go up to a guest and tell them "I've never heard of you, I don't care that you're here" to their face, then you shouldn't say it in their announcement thread either. Otherwise, you're just using the anonymity of the internet to be a git.

Nonsense, the announcement thread is read by everyone, not just the guest, if the guests even reads this at all. also, negative comments are or at least should not, be directed to the guest personally. I might not care about a guest, that doesn't mean l don't respect their work or person, it's just not the guest l want to meet and l post about it here not for that guest to know, but for SM to know. And again, whether SM cares about my opinion doesn't matter to me, that's up to them.

But negative comments are inevitably going to be about the guest.

"This guest isn't my cup of tea" is a comment ABOUT the guest.

What negative comment about the announcement but not about the guest did you have in mind?

No, that comment says something about my preferences, nothing about the guest at all.

While I agree with what you're saying sometimes it's good to have a voice speaking out from the crowd. Otherwise this would be almost like a communist dictatorship, you can't say anything against what the "leader" says. I rarely post negative things in guest announcement threads the most negative thing I say is probably along the lines of "not for me but I'm super excited for the fans of (insert name here)! great job SM :smile:) sometimes I think people do take it too far and need to be told, just not all the time

Edited by Gmorris2504
  • Like 1

I'm surprised there are people disappointed by her. Not someone I'm remotely interested in, but I can't dispute her being a big name.

Perhaps I'm past the stage of being taken in by teaser threads.

Edited by TerraHawk
  • Like 1

I'm surprised there are people disappointed by her. Not someone I'm remotely interested in, but I can't dispute her being a big name.

Perhaps I'm past the stage of being taken in by teaser threads.

Exactly... Even if you're not interested it's good to make the comments to show that you still appreciate their work

• Moderators

People always HOPE it'll be someone they want.

It'd be a bit silly to want someone you weren't interested in.

But it doesn't give anyone the right to belittle a guest if they're not of interest.

I'm always shocked at some people's inability to recognise a good guest just because they're not to their tastes.

• Like 1

Mind you I would also say that regular thread clean ups can look even more suspicious than the threads they clean up after. If I was an agent I'd be curious about what had been said and was so bad it had to removed!

But I've probably said that before.

l for one am not disappointed in her as a guest, not at all, she pretty much got the horror genre back on its feet and a must meet if you are into horror. It's just not my genre, so for me the disappointment is in the fact there are still no unique guests announced for other genres, besides bttf...There are definatly some great guests announced l wanna meet, but none of the unique guests that make LFCC stand out from the rest of European con's for me for now.

So for me it's back to hoping and looking forward to the next guest announcement :-)

• Like 1

Mind you I would also say that regular thread clean ups can look even more suspicious than the threads they clean up after. If I was an agent I'd be curious about what had been said and was so bad it had to removed!

But I've probably said that before.

We try to phrase it as neutral as possible. In any case, it would easily be avoidable if posters would take a look at the forum rules and don't post as requested there, or at least listen after the first request. There's a number of posters we have to delete from 90 percent of the topics because they're interested in one fandom only, so it's really not only newbies doing it.

As long as people aren't saying "So-and-so guest sucks", I don't really see the overall harm in expressing less-than-positive sentiments. Not everything gets everybody super excited here and hey, this is the internet... people are going to express themselves for the sake of it.

• Like 1

As long as people aren't saying "So-and-so guest sucks", I don't really see the overall harm in expressing less-than-positive sentiments. Not everything gets everybody super excited here and hey, this is the internet... people are going to express themselves for the sake of it.

This.

I have **some** contacts in the world of entertainment and I can assure you that these threads get read.

Heck, anyone who remembers The Guest Who Never Was will recall that agents and entourages do read these threads even if the stars themselves don't. Do we really want a guest to read loads of "meh" or "not for me" or "boring" style commmennts?

This is not a private conversation, this not even a "fans only" forum, this is a public forum which anyone can read. And believe me, they do. So as I said earlier, don't post anything that you wouldn't be prepared to say to the stars face irl.

• Moderators

All that we're asking is that if you have any 'less than positive' thoughts about an announcement, KEEP THEM OUT OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD. It's not a complicated ask :) And that doesn't mean you can't express any opinions about the line-up. Just, y'know, not there.

As I've just said on Facebook:

Showmasters always do these big guest announcements though, and I reckon a lot of it is because they themselves are excited about particular guests. So let them be! At the end of the day, don't look at these threads and then spend 3 days thinking "omg it's gonna be XYZ I'm so excited" and you won't be disappointed if it ends up being somebody you have no interest in meeting. Assume the worst and avoid disappointment.

To horror fans this girl is a big deal, shes one of our scream queens. And it sucks people are being so negative. It's hard to get excited, because I keep half expecting a cancellation thread due to her reading all the crap on the forums about what a rubbish guest she is.

Thankfully they seem to have cleaned the threads up quite a bit but some of the comments were completely unnecessary.

• Moderators

Exactly. She's an important part of movie history in a big franchise in a popular genre.

Regardless of personal taste she's a big guest across the board including her rarity as a convention guest.

It's like if they secured a lead from Twilight. Would I be interested? Hell no. But I'd know how rare it is and how popular they'd be etc. I wouldn't go on here and post something negative. I don't see how that's constructive or helpful really.

But as people have already said - you can do it if you feel it completely necessary, just in the right places.

• Like 1

• Showmasters Admin

as one of the people who said "meh, not for me" with regards to the new announcment i have to disagree with the OP.

i dont think a lot of people would be saying "meh, not interested" or similar if there wasnt the big build up for it. just announce it then people who are interested and people who arent interested wont feel dissappointed after the announcement and build up.

Can I say there is a statement that there is a big guest announcement, and to pop onto the forum at a certain time. Big build up? Hardly, the people on here build up in their minds who it could be and that's just a little bit of fun as no one knows and people guessing. It's not hype, it's just letting people know we have someone that we feel will interest a lot of people. 5500 views shows that there is a lot of people who did want to find out more about Neve so that is true. So 5500 in a 24 hour period shows she is a big guest , she is the star of her films and there are many of them. We all know it's down to what you are into and that differs from person to person. We are here to promote the shows and the guests and that is what we are doing by telling people we have a guest coming, and if its a bigger guest than we announce them warning many people that we have someone that will interest a lot of you. That way you all have the heads up to get ready to buy anything you may want before they all sell out ? We never know who will be a fast seller or not , so this is the best way to warn people we have someone that you maybe interested in and that's why we do it.

The fact is if you like the guest then you are happy. If you do not care about the guest then you should just not care and not worry about it and maybe the next lot of guests will interest you.

I do agree if you are not into it and you want to say something then saying hey they are not for me thats fine , also saying i get to save my money i am not interested is also fine .

The people I do find that make my job harder are the people that come on and say "who ?" or "never heard of them ?" or "that's not a big guest they have done nothing i know of ?" etc etc

These comments can be hurtful and can damage getting the guest in the first place or other guests that maybe look on the forum to understand more what the events are about. We have said it before GUESTS do come on here and have a look about what they are getting into.

So maybe the thing to do is think before posting something that could be read differently so its not upsetting to others ?

We are happy for people to talk about the hobby and we all know there up exciting times and times where things are not what you have hoped them to be, but keeping it decent and cool is important and keeping this forum fun as we are all on here as we are all fans of the hobby and at the end of the day this forum is here to keep the hobby going and making the events as fun with the best guests we can get to attend .

just a few thoughts

thanks everyone

jason

Edited by 1of2
  • Like 4

as one of the people who said "meh, not for me" with regards to the new announcment i have to disagree with the OP.

i dont think a lot of people would be saying "meh, not interested" or similar if there wasnt the big build up for it. just announce it then people who are interested and people who arent interested wont feel dissappointed after the announcement and build up.

can i say there is a statement that there is a big guest announcement and to pop into the forum at a Cretan time, big build up ? hardly , the people on here build up in there minds who is could be and thats just a little bit of fun as no one knows and people guessing , its not hype its just letting people know we have someone that we feel will interest a lot of people , 5500 views shows that there is a lot of people did want to find out more about Neve so that is true , so 5500 in a 24 hour period shows she is a big guests , she is the star of her films and there are many of them , we all know its down to what you are into and that differs from person to person , we are here to promote the shows and the guests and that what we are doing by telling people we have a guest coming and if its a bigger guest than we amount them warming many people that we have someone that will interest a lot of you , that way you all have the heads up to get ready to buy anything you may want before they all sell out ? we never know how will be a fast seller or not , so the is the best way to warn people we have someone that you maybe interested in and thats why we do it.

the fact it if you like the guest then you are happy if you do not care about the guest then you should just not care and not worry about it and maybe the next lot of guests will interest you.

i do agree if you are not into it and you want to say something then saying ho they are not for me thats fine , also saying i get to save my money i am not interested is also fine .

the people i do fine make my job harder is the people that come on and say "who ?" or never herd of them ? or thats not a big guest they have done nothing i know of ? etc etc

these comments can be hurtful and can damaged getting the guest in the first place or other guests that maybe look on the forum to understand more what the events are about ? we have said it before GUESTS do come on here and have a look about what they are getting into ?

so maybe the thing to do is think before posting something that could be read differently so its not upsetting to others ?

we are happy for people to talk about the hobby and we all know there up exciting times and times where things are not what you have hoped them to be but keeping it decent and cool is important and keeping this forum fun as we are all on here as we are all fans of the hobby and at the end of the day this forum is here to keep the hobby going and making the events as fun with the best guests we can get to attend .

just a few thoughts

thanks everyone

jason

Jason

I have to say that I like the fact that there is a pic, a brief summary of what they've been in together with the imdb link because on the occasions I've been "er who?" the pic can help or I've found out other stuff they've been in that I've not been aware of. For example, Milton Johns. I know him from Dr Who and latterly his Coronation Street stint but never knew he was in Star Wars which I've also watched numerous times.

If you wouldn't go up to a guest and tell them "I've never heard of you, I don't care that you're here" to their face, then you shouldn't say it in their announcement thread either. Otherwise, you're just using the anonymity of the internet to be a git.

I think you are on a losing battle here with your opinion, I dont agrere with you and it seems lots of others dont either, here is the dictionary definition of Forum -

a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged. it doesnt say only positive or nice views it is all views!.
If you dont like that then we dont care either!

• Moderators

It's still a forum (a) owned by Showmasters and (B) run by moderators. So we still have to keep an eye on things regardless of any dictionary definition, and be aware of the potential impact of things :)

I think the only time anyone is entitled to air disappointment is if a "big" guest is promised and then it turns out not to be (there is such a thing as a big guest -its not all subjective)

Neve Campbell qualifies as a big guest (tho not really my personal cup of tea)

I think you are on a losing battle here with your opinion, I dont agrere with you and it seems lots of others dont either, here is the dictionary definition of Forum -

a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged. it doesnt say only positive or nice views it is all views!.

If you dont like that then we dont care either!

My question is why do you want to tell everyone that you're not interested in the guest? What do you hope to gain by it? Why not post telling SM what guests you do want instead?

In the two years I've been visiting this forum I have seen the horror fans posting in separate threads and in guest suggestions that they wanted more horror guests and look what's happening for them this year! If a guest is not for you, fine, but why not tell everyone who is instead of isn't?!

Us horror fans have always come well behind the other fandoms at these events, thats certainly not to say we've been ignored, far from it. But myself and others have been crying out for more horror guests for years and well, we've certainly been listened to. Neve Campbell is certainly a big guest and not just for horror fans. I have no doubt that she will be a huge attraction in july and not just for horror fans so i don't really get the negativity(though i certainly feel any member on here should be able to sayy what they want, within reason). I think the truth is there are people out there who just want DW,SW GOT all the time and sm have and will always provide guests to these franchises. Diversity is good.

Edited by cropsy2008

• Moderators

It's certainly far more constructive to go ahead and request guests you are interested in, rather than voicing a lack of interest in one that has been announced.

After all, I'm not interested in everything in the supermarket but I don't fill a trolley and then tell the person at the checkout that I don't want any of it.

The guest has been signed and will still come regardless, unless they're upset at such comments.

• Like 1

Hardly, the people on here build up in their minds who it could be

It's not hype,

It lets people hype it up themselves, so some can only be disappointed.

Put it this way - a scheduled announcement tells people to come and look - some will go oh well never mind

An unscheduled surprise - people will still talk it about on facebook & twitter it will reach the audience its supposed to, without disappointed.

The pre-announcement announcements always get this place a high amount of traffic and a LOT of interaction on Twitter and Facebook.

It's always worth doing it.

But then it has to be taken that a small percentage of the traffic will be disappointed, and air that disappointment.